HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
  #476
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
McCarron has a similar frame/build as Happy Gilmore's friend that intimidates Shooter McGavin.

Avim86 is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 12:14 PM
  #477
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
^

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 12:53 PM
  #478
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Yes, it didn't work out to our liking in Latendresse's case... but it did with Galchenyuk. A case can be made that Price's career has slowed because he was fast-tracked, but Patrice Bergeron has thrived though he entered the league at 18 y/o.

The truth of the matter is that a strong argument can be made on both sides. McCarron will most probably play in London next season, but that is not to say that it would be stupid if he doesn't.

[...]

With his effort, intelligence and growth, Michael will decide where Michael plays next year.
Galchenyuk was the #3 overall pick and already possessed great offensive tools. Defensively, he has some work, but his other skills definitely made it more likely that he could find himself on the team.

When people talk about McCarron making the NHL this season, it's always about the probability that he will. So, while a case could be made for both sides, the likelihood of him being like Bergeron or Galchenyuk is simply much, much less than him requiring development in London. In other words, most people know that the possibility exists for both, but it's more reasonable to say that he will go to junior.

jedimyrmidon is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  #479
Habcentric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Change his shirt so it says " Guns dont kill Lucic I kill Lucic "
lol

Habcentric is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 02:47 PM
  #480
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habcentric View Post
Change his shirt so it says " Guns dont kill Lucic I kill Lucic "
lol

Computer networking very easy , Photoshop not so much...

However I'm sure Mig/Bloum/Seb could oblige you .

Avim86 is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 06:48 PM
  #481
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
For those who have seen him, how does he compare to Tyler Biggs, an others usntdp offensively challenged big foward?
I haven't seen enough of McCarron to answer the question, but can this low-upside non-sense please stop? Also, Biggs isn't an offensively challenged player either, he played quite well in my viewings of him this season.

Here is McCarron's second half season production in comparison to the USANTDP's top 10 scorers:

Name GP G A P PPG Pace
J.T. Compher 30 12 17 29 0.97
Evan Allen 30 10 14 24 0.8
Anthony Louis 30 8 16 24 0.8
Mike McCarron 27 11 12 23 0.85
Tyler Kelleher 30 11 12 23 0.77
Tyler Motte 30 11 8 19 0.63
John Hayden 30 12 4 16 0.53
Will Butcher 30 5 11 16 0.53
Hudson Fasching 30 2 14 16 0.53
Sean Malone 26 4 7 11 0.42

In the second half of the season, he tied for fourth in the scoring race and only one point back of being tied for second. All while playing three less games than the players above him. Obviously I don't know the context behind these stats, like which line he was playing on, the strength of his opposition, etc. But I do that know he had an incredibly impressive second half to the season statistically-wise.


Last edited by That: 07-30-2013 at 06:53 PM.
That is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
  #482
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
So true lol

Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 08:50 PM
  #483
SAKS AVENUE
Registered User
 
SAKS AVENUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
So true lol
I'm so on the fence with this draft pick, and patiently will wait Untill proof is in the pudding.
Yes he is big, and hopefully talented.
But you girls kill me. He compared himself to Lucic because he can play on all 4 lines and drop them if he has to, not because he excels in any of those areas. As far as fights go there isn't much to look at. On you Tube he gets worked by guys that are tiny. Jimmy Devito, 5'11, 165lbs sends him to the ice with no problem. To me ........there is a big problem. He is NOT a fighter and I don't care how big he is and what he says. In my eyes, he is a first round draft pick, and he's a first round draft pick that is big and heavy. I hope he figures out something that makes him worthy of it. Please though Hab fans stop turning him into a killer on the whole fighting thing because he will fail big time. 5'11, 165 pound Devito was too much for him, what exactly do you expect him to do with anyone tough over 6 ft that has a reputation in the NHL to do to him.
Ya he models himself after Lucic but right there he is way off the map and I'm so surprised most of you are so sucked in.

My prediction? Blake Wheeler @ 50%. He'll get rag dolled a few times by winners and never gain any major offence to write home about and fizzle out.
At the end of the day AVERAGE but useful.
Please stop with the "killer" photoshop stuff because that is so what he is NOT.
Re-post this in a few years if I'm wrong, but if this kid tries a Lucic type game he will not last long. It's almost embarrassing before it even begins.

SAKS AVENUE is offline  
Old
07-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  #484
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I'm so on the fence with this draft pick, and patiently will wait Untill proof is in the pudding.
Yes he is big, and hopefully talented.
But you girls kill me. He compared himself to Lucic because he can play on all 4 lines and drop them if he has to, not because he excels in any of those areas. As far as fights go there isn't much to look at. On you Tube he gets worked by guys that are tiny. Jimmy Devito, 5'11, 165lbs sends him to the ice with no problem. To me ........there is a big problem. He is NOT a fighter and I don't care how big he is and what he says. In my eyes, he is a first round draft pick, and he's a first round draft pick that is big and heavy. I hope he figures out something that makes him worthy of it. Please though Hab fans stop turning him into a killer on the whole fighting thing because he will fail big time. 5'11, 165 pound Devito was too much for him, what exactly do you expect him to do with anyone tough over 6 ft that has a reputation in the NHL to do to him.
Ya he models himself after Lucic but right there he is way off the map and I'm so surprised most of you are so sucked in.

My prediction? Blake Wheeler @ 50%. He'll get rag dolled a few times by winners and never gain any major offence to write home about and fizzle out.
At the end of the day AVERAGE but useful.
Please stop with the "killer" photoshop stuff because that is so what he is NOT.
Re-post this in a few years if I'm wrong, but if this kid tries a Lucic type game he will not last long. It's almost embarrassing before it even begins.
You're right about McCarron's lousy fighting skills. He's not strong on his skates and has zero technique. But we didn't get a 1st-round pick to be an enforcer. The only important thing is how he uses his size to plow into the offensive zone and bash his way towards the net. Check out the YT videos of him actually playing hockey and you'll see a player with good skills and great attitude.

Lshap is online now  
Old
07-30-2013, 10:54 PM
  #485
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 500
To peoples who ahve seen him play : how is his shot, especially if you compare to players his age ?

I mean wrist shot, slap shot, what kind of power, accuracy, quickness, release.

Forsead is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 06:14 AM
  #486
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I'm so on the fence with this draft pick, and patiently will wait Untill proof is in the pudding.
Yes he is big, and hopefully talented.
But you girls kill me. He compared himself to Lucic because he can play on all 4 lines and drop them if he has to, not because he excels in any of those areas. As far as fights go there isn't much to look at. On you Tube he gets worked by guys that are tiny. Jimmy Devito, 5'11, 165lbs sends him to the ice with no problem. To me ........there is a big problem. He is NOT a fighter and I don't care how big he is and what he says. In my eyes, he is a first round draft pick, and he's a first round draft pick that is big and heavy. I hope he figures out something that makes him worthy of it. Please though Hab fans stop turning him into a killer on the whole fighting thing because he will fail big time. 5'11, 165 pound Devito was too much for him, what exactly do you expect him to do with anyone tough over 6 ft that has a reputation in the NHL to do to him.
Ya he models himself after Lucic but right there he is way off the map and I'm so surprised most of you are so sucked in.

My prediction? Blake Wheeler @ 50%. He'll get rag dolled a few times by winners and never gain any major offence to write home about and fizzle out.
At the end of the day AVERAGE but useful.
Please stop with the "killer" photoshop stuff because that is so what he is NOT.
Re-post this in a few years if I'm wrong, but if this kid tries a Lucic type game he will not last long. It's almost embarrassing before it even begins.
There is more than fighting in Lucic's game...

Vasculio is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 06:39 AM
  #487
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Some folks here are amazing. They can predict a player's entire career from watching a youtube video. That's just outstanding! Who needs scouts when we have our very own Nostradamus?

Fozz is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 06:42 AM
  #488
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Some folks here are amazing. They can predict a player's entire career from watching a youtube video. That's just outstanding! Who needs scouts when we have our very own Nostradamus?
Players past and present are fair game for these gifted individuals. A youtube video combined with a quick trip to hockeydb and presto!!......we have an expert.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
  #489
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Players past and present are fair game for these gifted individuals. A youtube video combined with a quick trip to hockeydb and presto!!......we have an expert.
Hey, these are some serious rules that you have to follow in order to be a habs fan in this forum. Without them, we would be nothing more than the Bruins forum spouting off nonsense with having zero evidence to back ourselves up

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 07:39 AM
  #490
SAKS AVENUE
Registered User
 
SAKS AVENUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
There is more than fighting in Lucic's game...
I realize that, my post aims at people getting excited about the fighting aspect. There is nothing to get excited about. He will never be an NHL fighter so what's with all the "killer" stuff being posted.

SAKS AVENUE is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 07:43 AM
  #491
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
may I just come here and say this.
The only reason nobody wants to commit and say this McCarron kid is the second coming, is the FACT that good NHL top 6 forwards of this size almost NEVER happen. Just how many Lucic players are there in the league? MB went out and picked him in order to at least TRY to address a BIG problem on the Habs. No other HAB gm chose to address the size issue on the habs. Things kept getting smaller and smaller starting with Koivu. Habs even had some management state Habs don't need any big guys or enforcers remember. OH sure we heard all about "team toughness" and " hard work " and what have we seen over the years? " team losses " team intimidation " and sometimes even a Habs team that was run out of Boston on a rail. Now Mark B can't fix this team in one year but he has turned this team around and is continuing to fix the problem. MaCarron might help, we don't know yet but at least he is NOT 5ft 7. Nothing would state to the League faster, that when it comes to the HABS, " no more MR. nice guy" then maybe in 2-3 years ( not yet next year) Montreal will be able to walk into Boston Gardens with their own set of
" Howitzers " finally take down Lucic and his friends in a "battle royal" while winning 6-0. Maybe not next year, but Mark is addressing the issue and Habs are getting bigger.

RC51 is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 07:47 AM
  #492
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I realize that, my post aims at people getting excited about the fighting aspect. There is nothing to get excited about. He will never be an NHL fighter so what's with all the "killer" stuff being posted.
And you will never have an opinion on these boards that is worth anything if you continue to make concrete judgements based on one 30 second youtube video of a 17 year old kid.

He has the tools to be a fighter and the Hunter's have the means to turn those tools into something to be feared. Let's hold off on the ridiculous absolute's for the time being.....

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:04 AM
  #493
Habcentric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I realize that, my post aims at people getting excited about the fighting aspect. There is nothing to get excited about. He will never be an NHL fighter so what's with all the "killer" stuff being posted.
I hope he doesnt become a fighter, rather someone who can handle himself in a fight. I would find it a failure if he because a " parros " or a " Scott " type playing 4 minutes a game. But would love to see a E. Kane or Iginla type ( obviously not as skilled ) but someone who can play the game in the top 6 and when needed to, can drop the gloves and can take care of himself.

Habcentric is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:31 AM
  #494
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,454
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
He has the tools to be a fighter and the Hunter's have the means to turn those tools into something to be feared. Let's hold off on the ridiculous absolute's for the time being.....
The Hunters produce more finesse players than fighters. Look at the bigger sized NHL players they've produced, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, John Carlson, Sam Gagner, Dennis Wideman, David Bolland.

macavoy is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
  #495
Hullois
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I'm so on the fence with this draft pick, and patiently will wait Untill proof is in the pudding.
Yes he is big, and hopefully talented.
But you girls kill me. He compared himself to Lucic because he can play on all 4 lines and drop them if he has to, not because he excels in any of those areas. As far as fights go there isn't much to look at. On you Tube he gets worked by guys that are tiny. Jimmy Devito, 5'11, 165lbs sends him to the ice with no problem. To me ........there is a big problem. He is NOT a fighter and I don't care how big he is and what he says. In my eyes, he is a first round draft pick, and he's a first round draft pick that is big and heavy. I hope he figures out something that makes him worthy of it. Please though Hab fans stop turning him into a killer on the whole fighting thing because he will fail big time. 5'11, 165 pound Devito was too much for him, what exactly do you expect him to do with anyone tough over 6 ft that has a reputation in the NHL to do to him.
Ya he models himself after Lucic but right there he is way off the map and I'm so surprised most of you are so sucked in.

My prediction? Blake Wheeler @ 50%. He'll get rag dolled a few times by winners and never gain any major offence to write home about and fizzle out.
At the end of the day AVERAGE but useful.
Please stop with the "killer" photoshop stuff because that is so what he is NOT.
Re-post this in a few years if I'm wrong, but if this kid tries a Lucic type game he will not last long. It's almost embarrassing before it even begins.

Watching that fight on YT and I really don't see what you're saying. Devito was too much for him?!?! Looks like he lost his balance at the end, but he dominated the whole time...

And like others said, would be nice if he becomes a good fighter in the NHL but I'd rather he learns how to deliver crushing hits and use his body to protect the puck.

Hullois is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 10:14 AM
  #496
Dirty Danglez
Groupthink
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
Lucic didn't beat the habs by fighting laraque in that postseason, lucic didnt beat the leafs this past first round by beating up fraser, orr and mclaren. He did it by intimidating between the whistles! Crashing and banging. Parking his huge ass in front of the net.

The fighting is a huge plus, but he picks his battles. He doesnt need to fight goons cause he's more valuable than them. As long as mccarron can hold his own in a fight, and play physically on the ice, he is a successful pick.

Dirty Danglez is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 10:47 AM
  #497
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Lucic didn't beat the habs by fighting laraque in that postseason, lucic didnt beat the leafs this past first round by beating up fraser, orr and mclaren. He did it by intimidating between the whistles! Crashing and banging. Parking his huge ass in front of the net.

The fighting is a huge plus, but he picks his battles. He doesnt need to fight goons cause he's more valuable than them. As long as mccarron can hold his own in a fight, and play physically on the ice, he is a successful pick.

This. I don't care if he sucks at fighting. If he can be a Bickell type player I'd be happy. I haven't seen him enough to really have a clue, but it doesn't sound like he has the upside of a top 6 player to me.

Dagistitsyn is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 01:46 PM
  #498
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
may I just come here and say this.
The only reason nobody wants to commit and say this McCarron kid is the second coming, is the FACT that good NHL top 6 forwards of this size almost NEVER happen. Just how many Lucic players are there in the league? MB went out and picked him in order to at least TRY to address a BIG problem on the Habs. No other HAB gm chose to address the size issue on the habs. Things kept getting smaller and smaller starting with Koivu. Habs even had some management state Habs don't need any big guys or enforcers remember. OH sure we heard all about "team toughness" and " hard work " and what have we seen over the years? " team losses " team intimidation " and sometimes even a Habs team that was run out of Boston on a rail. Now Mark B can't fix this team in one year but he has turned this team around and is continuing to fix the problem. MaCarron might help, we don't know yet but at least he is NOT 5ft 7. Nothing would state to the League faster, that when it comes to the HABS, " no more MR. nice guy" then maybe in 2-3 years ( not yet next year) Montreal will be able to walk into Boston Gardens with their own set of
" Howitzers " finally take down Lucic and his friends in a "battle royal" while winning 6-0. Maybe not next year, but Mark is addressing the issue and Habs are getting bigger.
We need size to address our net presence, not our inferiority complex. "Run out of Boston on a rail"?? This must have happened in between beating them 3-1 last season. Since you can't be talking about winning games, I have to assume you're talking about fights. Even then, I don't remember the last major brawl between our two teams (the last one I recall was in early 2011, post Pacioretty incident). So what issue do you see McCarron addressing?

I apologize for picking on you, but you and many others seem to be focused on the Habs out-hitting and out-fighting the opposition, as if that's the missing ingredient. It's not. Size and toughness certainly are what we're missing, but as a few guys have just said -- McCarron might be the exact physical presence we need, even if he never throws a punch.

Lshap is online now  
Old
07-31-2013, 02:36 PM
  #499
HabsGoldenAge
Registered User
 
HabsGoldenAge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The Hunters produce more finesse players than fighters. Look at the bigger sized NHL players they've produced, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, John Carlson, Sam Gagner, Dennis Wideman, David Bolland.
I recall a certain Brandon Prust also played for London under the Hunters

HabsGoldenAge is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 02:45 PM
  #500
marchabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Some folks here are amazing. They can predict a player's entire career from watching a youtube video. That's just outstanding! Who needs scouts when we have our very own Nostradamus?
or you can just use the ''lets wait and see'' approach, very dull for an internet forum.

marchabsfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.