HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Amaro can't be that dumb right?....right?

Old
07-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Gotta laugh, they call up Asche, he's sitting the bench. Frandsen is playing 1st.

Really? They have one 3rd baseman they finally call up and he's the one that sits tonight.

I know that's not on Amaro, its on good old charlie who keeps a vet in the lineup.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:31 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg
Also, the Phils squashed some of this thought process with Franco and Asche, neither one of them played an entire year at A (I think)
Again a terrible comparison. Asche played 3 seasons of big time D1 baseball and was aggressively promoted to Clearwater after his performance in instructs. He hit .350 as a 21 year old and was promoted to AA.

Franco did end up playing two seasons of A ball. 2011 he split between Lakewood and Williamsport. He spent all of last year in Lakewood. He started this season in Clearwater and got a midseason promotion to AA.

Somehow you took what I said and made it an absolute. I just gave an example of the 4 year path. He might outperform it and he might underperform. It's up to him, but essentially demanding a faster track than that is greedy.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:38 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Still hopes for a winning streak? He has to be joking

Old
07-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Everyone always mentions the Wheeler deal. Name some other deals like that. They don't happen.

And why do you want Lee to stay? If we are rebuilding, what good is Cliff Lee. He wants to win and compete. He wants to win a world series. And Lee will get us valuable prospects. There's no point in keeping Lee. If you keep him then you keep Utley and Ruiz too, cause that means you are still trying to win. We don't have the prospects in our system to rebuild within the next year.

And Amaro is just posturing. He'd never get anything otherwise. I don't believe any GMs ever at the trade deadline.
It's quite obvious the Phillies aren't looking to rebuilding. If they were rebuilding, they wouldn't be talking extension with Utley. If you're gonna extend, oft injured Utley, you don't trade Cliff Lee. That's a half-assed attempt at a rebuild. And if you're rebuilding, you put Papelbon and Ruiz on the market. You put Howard on the market in the offseason and eat most of the salary. But instead, people think keep Utley, Howard, Papelbon, Ruiz oh, but trade the only guy who is actually playing well in Lee.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
It's quite obvious the Phillies aren't looking to rebuilding. If they were rebuilding, they wouldn't be talking extension with Utley. If you're gonna extend, oft injured Utley, you don't trade Cliff Lee. That's a half-assed attempt at a rebuild. And if you're rebuilding, you put Papelbon and Ruiz on the market. You put Howard on the market in the offseason and eat most of the salary. But instead, people think keep Utley, Howard, Papelbon, Ruiz oh, but trade the only guy who is actually playing well in Lee.
The Phils are married to Howard & Papelbon with those contracts for the next few years.

Lee, Utley, & Ruiz should be traded though.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Who said keep everyone not named Lee. The only one some are calling to keep is Utley and its for a variety of reasons people have already mentioned. I even suggested moving him and re-signing him in the offseason to a shrt term contract of course (2 yrs).

Old
07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Still hopes for a winning streak? He has to be joking
Normally I'd say yea of course he's not serious, he has to say that. However, I have such little faith in Amaro to do what needs to be done that I could see him saying this, not meaning it, but trying to use it as a way out of trading people away.

"I think we can still compete for a playoff spot this year, and I believe we'll compete in 2014."

Which would translate to a slow agonizing death and most likely a very long rebuild, the very thing I thought for sure the Phillies' management were going to avoid at all costs.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Normally I'd say yea of course he's not serious, he has to say that. However, I have such little faith in Amaro to do what needs to be done that I could see him saying this, not meaning it, but trying to use it as a way out of trading people away.

"I think we can still compete for a playoff spot this year, and I believe we'll compete in 2014."

Which would translate to a slow agonizing death and most likely a very long rebuild, the very thing I thought for sure the Phillies' management were going to avoid at all costs.
The thing is the people upstairs aren't the smartest bunch of people as well.

Amaro needs to go we need to bring someone in from the outside who knows what's best for this team because if this current roster is still here by the end of the season it's pretty clear Amaro has no idea what he's doing & neither do the people signing off on his madness.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:01 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Eveything I've read is that they are looking to move Chooch and Papelbon, but if no one wants them, you can't trade them.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
The sooner they get this clown out of the front office the quicker everything else will fall into place. Farms systems take 3 or 4 years to develop, look at the Cards (#24 back in 2011 and are #1 now). But he needs to go.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
The Couturier Effect

@jaysonst
Quote:
I'm told Michael Young has informed Phillies if he isn't dealt to Texas he'll consider other destinations but Boston would be 2nd choice
Quote:
If Phillies can't trade Young to Texas or Boston, trade to Yankees is still a last-minute possibility. Stay tuned

Old
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
@Buster_ESPN 13m
The Marlins are gauging interest in Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
The sooner they get this clown out of the front office the quicker everything else will fall into place. Farms systems take 3 or 4 years to develop, look at the Cards (#24 back in 2011 and are #1 now). But he needs to go.
The clown doesn't even have an advanced stats department, the only team in baseball not to do so. I'm not all gung-ho on the whole advanced stats thing but it does put some stuff in to perspective & when every other team is doing so there's no real reason for you not do so, we're behind the curve on that one for whatever reason.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The Phils are married to Howard & Papelbon with those contracts for the next few years. True

Lee, Utley, & Ruiz should be traded though.
Only if the returns are sure fire hits(mainly for Lee)

Old
07-30-2013, 06:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Only if the returns are sure fire hits(mainly for Lee)
Well I don't know if they'll be sure fire bets but for Lee & Utley they should be looking for guys close to making the bigs, Lee specifically.

Ruiz likely won't be back next year so getting anything back for him is plus IMO.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
healthyscratch

Jackie Bradley pulled in his minor league game.

eta: Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1m

Jackie Bradley Jr. and Anthony Ranaudo pulled from minor league games, according to @jtomase and others. Red Sox may be up to something big.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 07-30-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old
07-30-2013, 08:28 PM
The Couturier Effect

@JeffPassan
Source: Jackie Bradley Jr. and Anthony Ranaudo not involved in any trade at the moment.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Ranaudo threw 98 pitches, not sure I read into that.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:32 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
@Buster_ESPN 13m
The Marlins are gauging interest in Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco.

Post of the year in this thread.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Ranaudo threw 98 pitches, not sure I read into that.
It was also in the 7th, the guy who reported this said it could also be nothing more than game-related as well.

Bradley was pulled at bat with the bases loaded so that doesn't really seem to fall under that category.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old
07-30-2013, 09:00 PM
The Couturier Effect

Chad Qualls!

Old
07-30-2013, 09:04 PM
jml87

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3m
Whatever is going on with #RedSox - if anything - does not involve Cliff Lee.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3m
Whatever is going on with #RedSox - if anything - does not involve Cliff Lee.
Amaro is an idiot. He really meant the BS he was spewing earlier.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The clown doesn't even have an advanced stats department, the only team in baseball not to do so. I'm not all gung-ho on the whole advanced stats thing but it does put some stuff in to perspective & when every other team is doing so there's no real reason for you not do so, we're behind the curve on that one for whatever reason.
Dude it's not just baseball, it's all sports. Teams in every sport use advanced metrics now, a lot of them have people that come up with their own stats for evaluating players. I mean a lot of what Chip Kelly does is predicated off of advanced analysis of in game situations, as well as health science, and all kinds of other random ****.

The sad thing is "advanced stats" are easy as hell to formulate in baseball. The other sports are incredibly difficult because you can't easily isolate players from everything going on around them, but in baseball everything is already isolated for you.

Closed Thread