HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

So... are Wings really better next year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2013, 05:44 PM
  #151
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz96 View Post
Not even contenders?
They were 1 goal away from defeating the eventual champions.
They were also one goal away from not even advancing to the second round? What's your point?

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 05:51 PM
  #152
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,680
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingsJockstrap View Post
We can look at it another way. They might train harder this summer because these players know their jobs aren't as safe as they might of thought. The glut of bottom 6 forwards will be addressed after the main camp, I think, just because of that.

Competition creates better players.

Like as an example, Teemu Pulkkinen maybe never has a chance to play for Wings, because Martin Frk could be better prospect and become better player than him in same kind of role and position. But the existence of Pulkkinen pushes Frk to work harder. If he won't push, Pulkkinen will push past him. As a back-up plan, in some day, if something bad happens to Frk, Wings have the secondary option in Pulkkinen. But if everything goes like planned, Frk is the man who goes through and Pulkkinen never sees NHL. But still, the existence of Pulkkinen made Martin Frk a better player. Deep prospect pool with tough competition and the fear to lose your job is nothing but a good thing with a great atmosphere and it looks like Wings are having it at the moment.

I was thinking different about Tomas Tatar. His fate could be being the first slovakian who just is the tutor who helps us to get either of those younger slovakians to become our real future stars. But he had so unbelieveable AHL-playoff run and impressed at Detroit that he should have a great future with us and those other kids will follow. At least Jurco.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
  #153
Jurky
#FireHolland
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
They were also one goal away from not even advancing to the second round? What's your point?
To add to this, they were also one game away from not even making the playoffs.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 06:56 PM
  #154
Johnz96*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 982
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
To add to this, they were also one game away from not even making the playoffs.
I guess the Red Wings' glass IS half empty

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:05 PM
  #155
redjax
Boom Roasted.
 
redjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
We can all agree that they aren't worse, amirite?

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:20 PM
  #156
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,785
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by alConn View Post
We can all agree that they aren't worse, amirite?
Don't bet on that.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:35 PM
  #157
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alConn View Post
We can all agree that they aren't worse, amirite?
I think they were better last year because of their youth. Guys like Lidstrom, Holmstrom and Stuart were great for the franchise, but it was their time to go.

Just like it was time for Yzerman and Shanny and co to leave the Wings earlier.

Teams had trouble with our speedy third line in the playoffs, and our defense, despite all the mistakes, was pretty quick.

Were we better in 12-13 than 10-11? In the playoffs, yes. In the regular season, no.

Which team is more true to who we'll be in 13-14? Tough to say.
Right now, I predict 3rd in our division -- fighting for the playoffs spot until the last week or two, but ultimately making it in by a somewhat comfy margin.

But if Datsyuk or Zetterberg get hurt for 20+ games -- things could get ugly quickly.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:51 AM
  #158
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
I think they were better last year because of their youth. Guys like Lidstrom, Holmstrom and Stuart were great for the franchise, but it was their time to go.
Stuart was arguably the worst defenseman on the team his last season in Detroit. It was just terrible watching him out there shift after shift. And then all of the fans worried about how he was going to be replaced? Where's the concern for how we're going to replace Dan Cleary?

Holmstrom had been reduced to a 4th line/PP specialist role. Had he stayed around he'd have probably been more useful than Tootoo was come playoff time, but realistically it wasn't a big difference.

Quote:
Just like it was time for Yzerman and Shanny and co to leave the Wings earlier.
Yzerman was basically to the point of not being able to skate (there's a reason he doesn't do the alumni games), but he was still productive and contributing when he was on the ice.

Shanahan left town in a fit after Lidstrom was named captain with a "I'm part of the past" BS line. He had just scored 40 goals, and Detroit had offered him the same contract New York did. He was simply pissed off that he wasn't captain, because he was apparently too in love with the idea to realize what everyone else did years before; Lidstrom would be the team's next captain.

Quote:
Which team is more true to who we'll be in 13-14? Tough to say.
Right now, I predict 3rd in our division -- fighting for the playoffs spot until the last week or two, but ultimately making it in by a somewhat comfy margin.
Who will be better? Boston, ok. Montreal? No. Toronto? Not likely. Ottawa? It's possible, but Anderson needs to bring that same kind of goaltending again and Karlsson needs to be KARLSSON! for it to happen. Buffalo and Florida are the bottom two. Tampa could finish anywhere from 4th to 6th.

Quote:
But if Datsyuk or Zetterberg get hurt for 20+ games -- things could get ugly quickly.
If Datsyuk or Zetterberg receive a significant injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jarnkrok and/or Jurco get some time.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:40 AM
  #159
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Stuart was arguably the worst defenseman on the team his last season in Detroit. It was just terrible watching him out there shift after shift. And then all of the fans worried about how he was going to be replaced? Where's the concern for how we're going to replace Dan Cleary?

Holmstrom had been reduced to a 4th line/PP specialist role. Had he stayed around he'd have probably been more useful than Tootoo was come playoff time, but realistically it wasn't a big difference.



Yzerman was basically to the point of not being able to skate (there's a reason he doesn't do the alumni games), but he was still productive and contributing when he was on the ice.

Shanahan left town in a fit after Lidstrom was named captain with a "I'm part of the past" BS line. He had just scored 40 goals, and Detroit had offered him the same contract New York did. He was simply pissed off that he wasn't captain, because he was apparently too in love with the idea to realize what everyone else did years before; Lidstrom would be the team's next captain.



Who will be better? Boston, ok. Montreal? No. Toronto? Not likely. Ottawa? It's possible, but Anderson needs to bring that same kind of goaltending again and Karlsson needs to be KARLSSON! for it to happen. Buffalo and Florida are the bottom two. Tampa could finish anywhere from 4th to 6th.



If Datsyuk or Zetterberg receive a significant injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jarnkrok and/or Jurco get some time.
Do you have a source regarding the Shanahan incident? Agreed with everything else, incidentally.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:21 AM
  #160
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
Yeah only team I flat out fear in the whole conference next season is Boston. Just like the only team I was really worried about last season was Chicago (and look at that Detroit lost to...Chicago).

All the others teams I think Detroit is as good as or better than. Well ok, the Pens is perhaps better as well.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.