HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most memorable/earliest/favorite flyers memory?

Old
07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Most memorable/earliest/favorite flyers memory?

Off season is killing me so i'm going back and watching old youtube videos of flyers of the past and started thinking about this.

Personally, my most memorable moment was the Petr Svoboda incident where his head hit the ice...scary.

Earliest memory was just the whole experience of my dad waking us up from bed on a school night after going to get pizza and watching a late game, gave me my first sip of beer and just enjoyed sitting with my dad watching the game...cant even remember who it was against.

Favorite flyers memory is 2004 Toronto Game 6 OT playoff the Kapanen hit and then the Roenick Goal

So whats your most memorable, earliest and favorite flyers memory?

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:41 PM
The Couturier Effect

vCash: 500
Most memorable:

Surprisingly, I don't remember much from my childhood (90s), so my earliest memory would have to be going to my first game. 3-0 win against the Wild. Roman Cechmanek (I think) with the shutout.

My favorite memory is the whole 2010 run. Especially the Boston series. Loved every minute of it.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:42 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Became a big Flyers fan in 04 so this one always stood out for me

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:45 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Became a big Flyers fan in 04 so this one always stood out for me
Same.

Quote:
And same.

Favorite memory? Probably Gagne's goal in 2010. Or maybe when Giroux held the puck on the wall in the final two minutes of that game for about 30 seconds. That whole third period was the most incredible experience I've had as a fan of a sports team.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:50 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Also this

and this

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:01 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Favorite memory? Probably Gagne's goal in 2010. Or maybe when Giroux held the puck on the wall in the final two minutes of that game for about 30 seconds. That whole third period was the most incredible experience I've had as a fan of a sports team.
Yes. I nearly forgot about that.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:19 AM
BernieParent

This made me a Flyers fan, which was no small feat in the middle of Canadiens land:

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Even though it was recent, the 3-0 comeback against Boston is my #1 Flyers memory. Still get chills.

A little older one was the Flyers-Senators brawl. Got the tickets for free at the last minute just by chance, turned out to be an epic game.

My oldest one was my first game at the spectrum. Nothing special, just a game against the Sabres. Got to see the Crazy 8s play against Alexander Mogilny and Dominik Hasek.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

One of the earliest off the top of my head:

Only eleven minutes long. Gretzky. Messier. Lindros. LeClair. Brindy. Klatt had such a good year. The hook by Lindros on Messier at the ten minute mark is hilarious. Messier tries to hook him back but Lindros makes him look like a child. Exciting game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BD76Fj_fE

Memorable:

Game 7 vs Boston-- the comeback.

Favorite:

Probably the shift, by Richards, or Primeau ending the 5 OT on Tugnutt-- I must have woke the house.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Probably the shift, by Richards, or Primeau ending the 5 OT on Tugnutt-- I must have woke the house.
Forgot about both of them. I'll add them to my list as well.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:46 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Earliest Moment was Eric Lindros. He made me a Flyers fan probably around 94

Memorable:
-Eric Lindros before the drama
-5 OT game
-Beatin the Leafs in 03
-Flyers/Sens Brawl
-the entire 04 run
-beating the habs in 08
-the entire 10 run

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Favorite: 2010 run
Memorable: Bryzgalov buyout
Earliest: probably the 2004 run

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Bryz4shiz

That is one of my earlier memories. I was real upset that no one went after Stevens after the hit

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Nothing stands out clearly for me prior to the 2000 run. Some pieces of 1999, perhaps. I remember being disappointed in 1997 but that's about it.

Favorite moment has to be Game 7 in Boston. As mentioned, that Giroux shift really stands out for me, because that's the moment where I knew the Flyers were winning that game. Another is Richards tremendous shorthanded goal against Montreal.

A sleeper favorite is the shootout win to get in. I was so tense and nervous all I could manage to do as Boosh made the last save and commenced the dance of his people was fall out of my chair and gibber nonsensically while gesticulating towards the monitor. I had to lay down after that experience.

The 2010 run trumps the 2004 run for me. 2004 was fantastic, and it's the sort of run almost any fanbase would consider great, but 2010 is something truly unique.

Edit: Oh. Knocking out the Caps after carefully explaining why they would lose to the Flyers to a bunch of disbelieving Caps fans was pretty great, too. So much OT greatness.

07-31-2013, 10:23 AM
PAZUZU

the earliest flyers memory i have is when my dad took me for my 8th birthday to the game vs. the kings in '82 at the spectrum. he also took me to a playoff game vs. the rangers later that year, and that one is much more vividly ingrained into my memory. i guess 17,000+ people chanting "a-hole" will do that to an 8 year old.

i remember getting the inquirer off of the front step the morning after pelle died, and the sadness i felt reading it.

i remember sitting 2 feet away from the tv on my living room floor watching game 7 of the '87 finals and the disappointment i felt towards the end of that game.

my favorite flyers memory right now is getting to attend 2 games in each series of the cup run in 2010: carcillo scoring the OT winner vs the devils, game 4 vs. the bruins starting the comeback, chanting "ole ole ole" vs. montreal.

PAZUZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Larry44

Memorable: Clarke's OT goal vs. Boston in the Finals - when he jumped with his hands up and his head disappeared into his shirt/shoulder pads.

Earliest: Bobby Clarke playing for Team Canada in '72, made me a Flyer fan.

Favourite: The game 6 comeback in '87 vs. Edmonton to force game 7. That team had guts to spare.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Not me personally, but my my dad has very fond memories of that '87 team that pushed a dynasty (Oilers) to the brink.

Supposedly that goal is arguably the loudest the Spectrum ever got.

Me personally, I started to become a Flyers fan in the late 90's. I remember a little bit from the '97 run, but not too much. I really remember the 2000 season, though. That's when I started watching most of the games on TV at night with my dad.

Some of my favorite memories:

-Primeau's OT winner against the Pens. I fell asleep but woke up for school and watched the highlight. I think my dad stayed up for most of the game.
-Roenick's OT winner against the Leafs.
-Primeau's magic during the '04 run.
-Gagne's OT winner game 6, '04.
-Lupul's OT winner against Caps. Then Carter was getting interviewed and some bozo threw a bottle at him.
-Entire game 7 vs Boston. I was at the WFC with two of my buddies and it was one of the coolest things to witness in person.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Haha, Carcillo's "WHAT DID I DO!?" reaction to that OT winner was great.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:01 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha, Carcillo's "WHAT DID I DO!?" reaction to that OT winner was great.
EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING? WHERE DO I CELEBRATE?!'

Great stuff.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
hockeyfreak7

To add to some of the recent ones, this will always be a good one:

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Off season is killing me so i'm going back and watching old youtube videos of flyers of the past and started thinking about this.

Personally, my most memorable moment was the Petr Svoboda incident where his head hit the ice...scary.

Earliest memory was just the whole experience of my dad waking us up from bed on a school night after going to get pizza and watching a late game, gave me my first sip of beer and just enjoyed sitting with my dad watching the game...cant even remember who it was against.

Favorite flyers memory is 2004 Toronto Game 6 OT playoff the Kapanen hit and then the Roenick Goal

So whats your most memorable, earliest and favorite flyers memory?
1. Earliest was meeting a fellow transfer student who was from Canada. He is the one person who got me hooked on hockey and we started to go to the Cherry Hill Arena to see the "real" Jersey Devils. Sitting behind chicken wire. Young high school kids grabbing bus rides to and from the arena if we could not cop a ride from a older friend.
2. Memorable was going on the "Legends" bus and sitting in the locker room and then working the door on the bench during games. Really cool to see and hear these guys break balls and having fun. Joe Watson runs a tight ship
3. Favorite Flyer Memory of all time for me is Bobby Clarke's game winning OT goal in game 2 of the finals on May the 9th 1974. Molsens and Labatts went flying everywhere as we jumped for joy. The meaning of winning that game after being down 2 zip in the 1st and how the bruins for years loved to dominate and beat the Flyers. To beat that loaded team with all that talent and who were picked to win the cup in a landside, well for me that single moment of Clarkie jumping for joy and hearing Gene and Don yelling along with us will go to the grave with me. See for me that was the cup winner. But to really understand it you had to be there What a moment in time.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
To add to some of the recent ones, this will always be a good one:

Ohhhhh. Good call. That's up there with The Shift.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

1987. Dad huge Habs fan, I was young, very young and just learning about hockey. Flyers playing the Habs in the conference finals. Couldn't cheer for the same team as Dad... so I chose the orange guys! haha.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Memorable: Clarke's OT goal vs. Boston in the Finals - when he jumped with his hands up and his head disappeared into his shirt/shoulder pads.
Yep

Quote:
Earliest: Bobby Clarke playing for Team Canada in '72, made me a Flyer fan.
Yep, plus seeing Billy Barber and Dorny on the same team iced it for me.

Quote:
Favourite: The game 6 comeback in '87 vs. Edmonton to force game 7. That team had guts to spare.
Here's where we disagree -- for me it's either the above game, or the Roenick goal vs Toronto in 2004. Loved the rest but those two stand out above the rest.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
even tho I am probably as old as BP or a couple others around here, JJ Daigneault goal in 87 really made believe they were going to bring it home. what a team that was.
That is one game I really wish I could of been at.
recent memory is probably JR's goal in 2004 or Primeau's goal in game 4 in 2000. They crushed the Pens the next game and the series was pretty much over.
Seeing the look on all the Bruin fans faces the next day after the Flyers made history in 2010 is something I will never forget. they didnt want to talk about it either.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-31-2013 at 12:13 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote