HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks Board - Fantasy Football

Old
07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Illini, have you sent out invites yet?

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
more like one injury in a 12 team league and you're basically ****ed.

12 team leagues have one huge advantage- If you're one of a few guys in it who follow football religiously, its basically easy money, and its more money than a 10 team league.

However, in a competitive league, 12 team waters down the teams too much and there's a huge emphasis on draft position/injury luck.
Right, it becomes which team is healthiest, not who is the best drafter/manager.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Illini, have you sent out invites yet?
No, will tomorrow

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I'd be interested.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:23 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

If ndgt hasn't been around, DHF can fill in in league 1. He was in the hockey league after all.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:30 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
more like one injury in a 12 team league and you're basically ****ed.

12 team leagues have one huge advantage- If you're one of a few guys in it who follow football religiously, its basically easy money, and its more money than a 10 team league.

However, in a competitive league, 12 team waters down the teams too much and there's a huge emphasis on draft position/injury luck.
None of this could be further from true, IMO. If 1 injury ruins your season in a 12 team, you just flat out suck.

It isn't easy money in a 12 team, last year my main league was won by a guy who's pretty clueless, but he fluked into Morris being a stud for him.

And I don't see why draft position would matter? It's a snake, if you have a 'bad' 1st round pick you get 1st choice in the 2nd and so forth, so what's the difference between a 10 and 12 in that regard?

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Keep it to ten, it will be easier to field a 2nd league then.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:48 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
None of this could be further from true, IMO. If 1 injury ruins your season in a 12 team, you just flat out suck.

It isn't easy money in a 12 team, last year my main league was won by a guy who's pretty clueless, but he fluked into Morris being a stud for him.

And I don't see why draft position would matter? It's a snake, if you have a 'bad' 1st round pick you get 1st choice in the 2nd and so forth, so what's the difference between a 10 and 12 in that regard?
because by the 6th round you're a round behind where you are in a 10 man so earlier picks in each round become more valuable and the people who draft in the middle get worse value per pick than when you draft at the top of the round every other round+get close together picks. Now some would argue that it doesn't matter since the people who draft early and late have their pick value average out, but thats assuming the drop in value vs. round is linear, which it isn't.

Its all kinda convoluted and mostly just based on conjecture and my own personal experience. I also believe the same phenomenon happens in 10 man leagues, just too a lesser extent.

Also, your contention that "you just suck if one injury ruins you" is hogwash. Lets say you take aaron rodgers in the first or second round, there's no real reason to anticipate injury since he's only missed 2 games since becoming the starter 5 years ago and the fact its a heavily protected position. Now, if you take a guy who's top 3 at his position and you can only start one of that position, it would be exceedingly stupid to spend any other decent pick on that position since one guy is going to be on the bench doing **** anyway.

In a 10 man league you can still reasonably expect a mediocre backup even if you draft him super late or just use FA to replace rodgers if he goes down. In a 12 man you're in a much dicier position because the value of backups increase relative to draft position in a 12 man, so you'll see more mediocre guys taken at the end of drafts leaving little option but to blow value at another position to protect against injury or roll the dice.

Last edited by madgoat33: 07-31-2013 at 11:57 AM.
madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Also, your contention that "you just suck if one injury ruins you" is hogwash. Lets say you take aaron rodgers in the first or second round, there's no real reason to anticipate injury since he's only missed 2 games since becoming the starter 5 years ago and the fact its a heavily protected position. Now, if you take a guy who's top 3 at his position and you can only start one of that position, it would be exceedingly stupid to spend any other decent pick on that position since one guy is going to be on the bench doing **** anyway.
But that's only in the extreme case where you take a top 5 QB early and he goes down. In a 10 teamer you're still probably boned if you lose him, because if you're taking him in the 1st round your RB depth probably sucks from day 1. It shouldn't have that big an impact at RB/WR if you've drafted decent backups you can play or guys who could be of valuable to other teams you can deal. It's a lot more fun to make trades and actually have to think to solve your problems then just be able to go 'oh, it's okay, I can still get whoever on the wire.'

Old
07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
ChiHawk21

Who is sending out invites for the second league?

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:05 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

pretty much agree...I think madgoat is just being a sally j/k

I have fun in 10 team leagues but every team has a pretty stacked group and it limits those who draft excellent because everyone is "bound" to get good players.a lot of strategy goes out the window and a load up mentality exists.

when you get to a 12 team league that is where things open up a bit. Everyone still has a handful of stars but it is spread out more which makes things more realistic. I love playing a 12 team league because there is parity!! and being a smart drafter in a 12 team league can pay off..or a lucky one.

in all my cbssports.com pay leagues so far (mandatory 12 teams) I have different strengths and weaknesses in each league as I went nuts on rbs in one league, then went highend with wideouts the next...every team is different and has a different look as top players are spread out evenly.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:07 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
Who is sending out invites for the second league?
not sure.

what site did you guys use for last years league?? yahoo?

Old
07-31-2013, 01:09 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
not sure.

what site did you guys use for last years league?? yahoo?
League safe for payments, then ESPN. I think everyone liked it. Didn't hear any complaints that I remember.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

in all my cbssports.com pay leagues so far (mandatory 12 teams) I have different strengths and weaknesses in each league as I went nuts on rbs in one league, then went highend with wideouts the next...every team is different and has a different look as top players are spread out evenly.
Already drafting? Yikes. Have fun with all those preseason injuries.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I have created the league in ESPN.com.

whoever is interested in playing in league #2, please PM me your e-mail address so I can send out invites.

$25.00 buy in, 10 team league with flex..

typical scoring with moderate bonuses for total yards and big plays..

the league is called HF Boards Benchwarmers...since it seems we are not good enough to be in the top league!!

lmk peeps.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:24 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Already drafting? Yikes. Have fun with all those preseason injuries.
so far only Harvin has been an issue, but if you have your sleepers and know your ****, drafting early is the only way to go to get these guys as I am happier than a pig in **** with most of my teams and how they will turn out.
did the same thing last year and won 3 out of 5 cbssports leagues (pay) and won 2 of my 4 paid yahoo leagues...me love to draft early!

Old
07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
pretty much agree...I think madgoat is just being a sally j/k

I have fun in 10 team leagues but every team has a pretty stacked group and it limits those who draft excellent because everyone is "bound" to get good players.a lot of strategy goes out the window and a load up mentality exists.

when you get to a 12 team league that is where things open up a bit. Everyone still has a handful of stars but it is spread out more which makes things more realistic. I love playing a 12 team league because there is parity!! and being a smart drafter in a 12 team league can pay off..or a lucky one.

the exact same is true in 10 man leagues...

Look at the rosters from our league last year, there was no super team. You want to talk about parity, the top 5 guys were at 7-5, then 3 at 6-6 and the bottom two were 4-8 and 3-9. Top points for was 1235 and the worst was 1048. Thats less than 16pts per week on average.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I did not set a draft day or time or method yet. I figured we can just do an online draft as meeting in person will be nuts to get figured out.

I am looking to do an online draft on a weeknight or a Sunday..weekends really wont work for me as I already have 2 Saturdays booked for my main in person drafts and I have some parties scheduled as well...so if we can all figure on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Sunday I think we can get this going soon.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
the exact same is true in 10 man leagues...

Look at the rosters from our league last year, its not like every one was super stacked.
disagree.

if you draft with competent people, every team is stacked. all my yahoo league teams are just silly to look at.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
so far only Harvin has been an issue!
But nobody has played a game yet...

Old
07-31-2013, 01:41 PM
madgoat33

I like to draft no earlier than week 4 of the preseason

Old
07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
But nobody has played a game yet...
there are thousands of drafts going on right now and have been for weeks..

I love drafting early as you actually feel like a gm that has to make actual guesses and picks...that is where the true value is..

what is the fun in knowing who will be starting and who didn't get injured by drafting last week of August?? you really aren't doing anything but going off a list...and by that point getting the guys you target becomes a lot more difficult,.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:

what is the fun in knowing who will be starting and who didn't get injured by drafting last week of August??
What's the fun in drafting and then having your guy get injured and then your at a big disadvantage before week 1 even begins? No thanks, I'll stick with waiting til around Labor Day.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:52 PM
RayP

I don't think I could disagree any more with madgoat than I do, on just about everything he has said in this thread.

Is that one hour over the course of the year that important to you that you need to save it? Can't make up for that hour by posting one less hour a year?

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:52 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
What's the fun in drafting and then having your guy get injured and then your at a big disadvantage before week 1 even begins? No thanks, I'll stick with waiting til around Labor Day.
who is to say you are going to have an injury?

I draft early every year, rarely do I ever have a significant injury...they do not happen that often..this year so far Harvin is the only real significant injury as Maclin is a scrub and Pitta is decent...nothing earth shattering.

I know Brady had his injury a few years back early on, but I really don't worry too much about that as guys get hurt in week 2 and that cripples you more so as finding in season replacements is harder to do.

for me I guess it is the thrill of the chase. everyone is different as I like drafting prior to the preseason then make waiver claims on those who stepped up.

I have a few drafts last 2 weeks of August as well, but by then no work is really needed..just read off some names and pick a team..hardly being a GM imo..