HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Last night I blew 4-5 breakaways. No idea why, I'm usually a sure thing with them. I did, however get 4g1a in total in an 8-4 win, so it wasn't a bad night.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Back in my playing days (high school/college) I would always end up with one errant slapper in warmups that would buzz the keeper's head. When I did this we usually won though so we kept doing it. (The goalies knew and were strangely ok with it.) I think I only made contact once out of 6 or so seasons.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Frankie Spankie

Ugh, what's worse, the people that take the game way too seriously, are playing well above their levels, and skate hard to back check the 40 year old that has only been skating for a year while they have a 6 goal lead with 2 minutes left?

Or the people on your team that don't skate and just ***** all the time, then leave early because their complete lack of any effort is the reason why we keep losing in the first place?

I'm getting really sick of this league. It seems like there's more people I can't stand playing with/against here than people that I like playing with/against.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:54 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrsMullet View Post
They're ruining the fun of others so I don't see anything wrong with trying to send them a message. League management should definitely step in by disbanding the team and giving them a partial refund.
And it sounds like management doesn't want to lose league fees so they will end up moving this team to another division, possibly to where the poster plays. Bad league management is a giant issue in rec league hockey, some directors just don't care and it costs the rink money.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Ugh, what's worse, the people that take the game way too seriously, are playing well above their levels, and skate hard to back check the 40 year old that has only been skating for a year while they have a 6 goal lead with 2 minutes left?

Or the people on your team that don't skate and just ***** all the time, then leave early because their complete lack of any effort is the reason why we keep losing in the first place?

I'm getting really sick of this league. It seems like there's more people I can't stand playing with/against here than people that I like playing with/against.
I had an intramural playoff game one year in college. The game was on my birthday. My birthday also just happens to be St. Paddy's day.

I abstained all day because I wanted to win. Unfortunately nobody on my team had the same commitment. I really knew something was wrong when my D partner left the bench and sat on the ground for five minutes.

We ended up losing in OT. I was so pissed.

I also blame the loss on our more skilled defenders, who, with a 3 goal lead late in the third, decided 'now is the perfect time for me to be Bobby Orr'.

Argh I was livid!

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
One of my leagues has a B, C1 and C2 (beginners and over 35). Two of the Upper tier B teams folded and rather then finding another B team or C1 team those B players all decided to join up and play for one team...that team is in the c2 division.

Played them the other night, Im one of the better c2 players and I block a ton of shots, I play center...anyway im closing in on one of the guys who scored 30 seconds into the game and did a ridiculous celebration sliding across the ice....I block his pass and take it to the net, he slashes me and says, "Why don't you try harder" I responded back, "Why don't you play in the B league and actually try."

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:35 AM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I had an intramural playoff game one year in college. The game was on my birthday. My birthday also just happens to be St. Paddy's day.

I abstained all day because I wanted to win. Unfortunately nobody on my team had the same commitment. I really knew something was wrong when my D partner left the bench and sat on the ground for five minutes.

We ended up losing in OT. I was so pissed.

I also blame the loss on our more skilled defenders, who, with a 3 goal lead late in the third, decided 'now is the perfect time for me to be Bobby Orr'.

Argh I was livid!
We went 9 -1 in the season.. and lost 2 straight games in the final (3 game series) to a team that had only 5 wins in the season..One player of mine basically gave them like 5 goals..Ironically he was our best Skating Defensmen, Heres the catch, They brought in another goalie for their playoff games..(Supposedly their goalie was injured, bss) This guy was lights out!!! Not beer league material..Like college material.. And also half of this team was good friends with the Coordinator of our league.. Yah go figure..It was a chippy game.. I got high sticked almost broke my nose.. The funny thing is.. We went 9-1 in the season and guess who that one loss came to.. Yah you guessed it.. The team that beat us in the finals. It hurts because we were goign head to head with them.. Untill my players starting making mistakes..They were near perfect..

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
We went 9 -1 in the season.. and lost 2 straight games in the final (3 game series) to a team that had only 5 wins in the season..One player of mine basically gave them like 5 goals..Ironically he was our best Skating Defensmen, Heres the catch, They brought in another goalie for their playoff games..(Supposedly their goalie was injured, bss) This guy was lights out!!! Not beer league material..Like college material.. And also half of this team was good friends with the Coordinator of our league.. Yah go figure..It was a chippy game.. I got high sticked almost broke my nose.. The funny thing is.. We went 9-1 in the season and guess who that one loss came to.. Yah you guessed it.. The team that beat us in the finals. It hurts because we were goign head to head with them.. Untill my players starting making mistakes..They were near perfect..
I won a roller hockey championship a long time ago because the other team's goalie got thrown in jail and they brought a sub. Sub goalies were not allowed, we were down something like 6-1, the other team began taunting us and a guy on the bench said he didn't recognize the goalie-we should roster check them. We tell the refs, they go over to the front desk, a lot of discussion goes on and they come back and say the game's over, we win by forfeit. Needless to say the other team had some not nice things to yell at us as, I still have the score sheet to this day.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:43 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
One of my leagues has a B, C1 and C2 (beginners and over 35). Two of the Upper tier B teams folded and rather then finding another B team or C1 team those B players all decided to join up and play for one team...that team is in the c2 division.

Played them the other night, Im one of the better c2 players and I block a ton of shots, I play center...anyway im closing in on one of the guys who scored 30 seconds into the game and did a ridiculous celebration sliding across the ice....I block his pass and take it to the net, he slashes me and says, "Why don't you try harder" I responded back, "Why don't you play in the B league and actually try."
Need a better chirp there.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I won a roller hockey championship a long time ago because the other team's goalie got thrown in jail and they brought a sub. Sub goalies were not allowed, we were down something like 6-1, the other team began taunting us and a guy on the bench said he didn't recognize the goalie-we should roster check them. We tell the refs, they go over to the front desk, a lot of discussion goes on and they come back and say the game's over, we win by forfeit. Needless to say the other team had some not nice things to yell at us as, I still have the score sheet to this day.
Good for taking it away from them but that takes a lot of fun out of the win overall, don't ya think? I'd rather have lost and played a good game but I suppose if you're FAR outclassed because of ineligible subs then that's no fair or good either. Could have turned it into a ridiculous fight first though, that's always good

I can't remember the circumstances but I remember once a couple of our guys were accidentally left off the updated playoff roster despite playing the whole season with us (neither were close to being one of our best players, but they were solid for sure). We got roster checked and they got the boot, we ended up playing with 1 sub for the remainder of the game and were able to come back and win it overall. By taking them out it allowed us to ice our best forwards more, so it ultimately was a perk for us. After all the hubbub w/the officials and our guys being kicked out, we went nuts and brought the game from very close to being a near blowout.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I've always been cool about replacing goalies. I know that adult goalies are the most flakey people in the world.

Now if you show up and have a whole first line full of guys who weren't on the roster, I'm pulling a ref over.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Good for taking it away from them but that takes a lot of fun out of the win overall, don't ya think? I'd rather have lost and played a good game but I suppose if you're FAR outclassed because of ineligible subs then that's no fair or good either. Could have turned it into a ridiculous fight first though, that's always good

I can't remember the circumstances but I remember once a couple of our guys were accidentally left off the updated playoff roster despite playing the whole season with us (neither were close to being one of our best players, but they were solid for sure). We got roster checked and they got the boot, we ended up playing with 1 sub for the remainder of the game and were able to come back and win it overall. By taking them out it allowed us to ice our best forwards more, so it ultimately was a perk for us. After all the hubbub w/the officials and our guys being kicked out, we went nuts and brought the game from very close to being a near blowout.
These were young punks who we had a rivalry with and they really did deserve it. I was fine for taking the loss, they were clearly better overall skill wise but their goalie happened to be a different race than the goalie we played. When they began taunting us I think that's usually when sportsmanship goes out the window a little and oneupsmanship comes into play. Looking back I laugh about it, it was the end of my roller hockey career and incidents like that make me glad I chose to switch to ice hockey. Until it was brought up on the bench I never though about roster checking them, then I thought to myself-what a genius idea! It was like getting into a fight with a guy who bit you so you bite him back. Nothing to be proud of but something to laugh about 12 years later.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:32 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll skate with dull blades before I trust a rink guy with my skates

Reminds me, I haven't had my skates sharpened since before the lockout ended. Last time I brought them in, the Wild equipment guys were doing sharpenings at my LHS because they didn't have anything else to do.
In my experience, it just varies from rink to rink. I always get my skates sharpened at one of the rinks by me, but there's only one guy there I want doing it. If he's not working that night, I'm not getting my skates sharpened.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
These were young punks who we had a rivalry with and they really did deserve it. I was fine for taking the loss, they were clearly better overall skill wise but their goalie happened to be a different race than the goalie we played. When they began taunting us I think that's usually when sportsmanship goes out the window a little and oneupsmanship comes into play. Looking back I laugh about it, it was the end of my roller hockey career and incidents like that make me glad I chose to switch to ice hockey. Until it was brought up on the bench I never though about roster checking them, then I thought to myself-what a genius idea! It was like getting into a fight with a guy who bit you so you bite him back. Nothing to be proud of but something to laugh about 12 years later.
Yea, if they're being all out dicks about it then F 'em no matter what or where it is. Blowouts are one thing but be civil.

Old
08-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Chanbing96

One of my pet peeves is people who hack my stick down so hard...there isn't one advantage to slashing at all I can see hitting the side of the stick to knock the puck out but slashing a stick down is worthless I get you paid to play and it's competitive but **** there 200-250$...plus if you slash my stick and I give you a slap in the back of the leg you go skating away talking **** behind the birdcage...pisses me off

Chanbing96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:33 PM
homersimpson

I actually had a pleasant experience the other night playing adult pick up.

I am 40ish and never played anything above adult rec league hockey. I was playing with a new group of guys and I was at the bottom of the talent level, normally I am about mid range and feel just fine out there. There were a few kids that are in their mid 20's and are pretty good. i think some may have played in college and are fast as snot. The rest of the group is in their 40's but are very solid players.

So my team was getting beat up pretty good, not a total domination but we were out played. I noticed a few times when I got a breakaway or a 1-1 the other players would not chase me down or just play loose defense on me. I also was in the boards and had a pretty solid defensive play against one of the kids and after I stole the puck from him he laid back and gave me time to play the puck.

The only bad experience from the night was when one of the older guys took a slap shot front he high slot and one of my teammates was in front of him. The guy took a full slap shot and nailed my player in the chest right below his shoulder. In the locker room the shooter commented "why did he jump in front of me?". I thought it was a reckless shot and it was going to sail over the net by a few feet, pretty stupid to take a shot when someone is vulnerable position.

Kudos to the young whipersnappers.

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Need a better chirp there.
I would've said something like, "What are you here for your self esteem issues?"

But the OP got his point across.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll skate with dull blades before I trust a rink guy with my skates

Reminds me, I haven't had my skates sharpened since before the lockout ended. Last time I brought them in, the Wild equipment guys were doing sharpenings at my LHS because they didn't have anything else to do.
Hey now... I was a "rink guy" that sharpened skates in the rink pro-shop and a lot of the people I sharpened for told me that I was one of the best they'd ever had. Difference is probably that my family owned the rink and I actually cared about my sharpenings.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:53 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Hey now... I was a "rink guy" that sharpened skates in the rink pro-shop and a lot of the people I sharpened for told me that I was one of the best they'd ever had. Difference is probably that my family owned the rink and I actually cared about my sharpenings.
Are you six-foot-five and scary looking? Maybe they were just afraid of incurring your wrath

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post

I see what you're saying, but the way I look at it is that the only way I get better is when somebody plays me close for 60 minutes. More often than not, I'm usually the player that has lost a step by the end of the third and wouldn't mind the occasional opening...but I also don't want an open breakaway if I don't deserve it.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Rant time.....

Playing a game the other evening out somewhere and there's a girl on our team. She's 17, I'm 18, most everyone else is mid-late 20's and we have a few 18/19's and a 41 y/o on the other team, chirps start real early and stuff. I heard one guy tell the girl to go have the biological thing they do (Dunno how you all want me to put it because I want to be appropriate here) in a shark tank and die. So that kind of bothered me because the guy who said it looked to be around 24 or 25 and acted all cool going back to the bench and junk after saying it. So me, being the stupid ass goes over there and I tell the jackass to knock it off. Next time we're both on our shifts, he said something similar to before again, then the rest of my shiftmates (Me, girl, 33 y/o, and the 2 D men) go after the guy and his buddy a little... turned into some big affair and yeah.

Tldr: I hate people who take chirping to some disrespectful and real messed up levels.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:42 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Rant time.....

Playing a game the other evening out somewhere and there's a girl on our team. She's 17, I'm 18, most everyone else is mid-late 20's and we have a few 18/19's and a 41 y/o on the other team, chirps start real early and stuff. I heard one guy tell the girl to go have the biological thing they do (Dunno how you all want me to put it because I want to be appropriate here) in a shark tank and die. So that kind of bothered me because the guy who said it looked to be around 24 or 25 and acted all cool going back to the bench and junk after saying it. So me, being the stupid ass goes over there and I tell the jackass to knock it off. Next time we're both on our shifts, he said something similar to before again, then the rest of my shiftmates (Me, girl, 33 y/o, and the 2 D men) go after the guy and his buddy a little... turned into some big affair and yeah.

Tldr: I hate people who take chirping to some disrespectful and real messed up levels.
yeah that's some major dbaggery

I pretty much never chirp and when I do it's always in response to a chirp. My favorite was when some clown chirped me bc I semi-fanned on a shot, I then scored like 30 seconds later and I asked him if he liked that one better

Last edited by windycity: 08-16-2013 at 03:27 PM.
windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Haha. I chirp but it's the light chirps that make people give me a weird look. No dbaggery here.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Green Blob*

Boy oh boy did I get away with a lot yesterday, refs were IDIOTS.

It was a playoff game, and i was playing defense, there was a scramble around the net and they ended up popping it in midway through the 3rd i was right in the crease area and as a desperate attempt i went flying into the net trying to block the shot behind the goalie and thus knocking the net off. Puck was CLEARLY in a full second before I even knocked the net off and the ref waved off the goal saying the net was off its pegs

Also in the last 3 minutes, a guy got around me and was trying to hit home a rebound and i slash downward on his stick with enough force that it snapped the stick, and didnt get a penalty

We won 8-7

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
yeah that's some major dbaggery

I pretty much never chirp and when I do it's always in response to a chirp. My favorite was when some clown chirped me bc I semi-fanned on a shot, I then scored like 30 seconds later and I asked him if he liked that one better
That's why I pretty much never talk. You have a super high chance of coming out of it looking like the idiot.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote