HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Prospect Rankings #9

View Poll Results: Who is the Blues #9 prospect?
Vannelli 10 19.23%
Edmundson 22 42.31%
Binnington 15 28.85%
Lundstrom 2 3.85%
Kurker 0 0%
Veilleux 0 0%
Beach 0 0%
Andronov 0 0%
MacEachern 0 0%
Fairchild 0 0%
Wannstrom 0 0%
Tesink 0 0%
McRae 1 1.92%
Lehtera 2 3.85%
Gardiner 0 0%
Grachev 0 0%
Ponich 0 0%
Lindbohm 0 0%
Pochiro 0 0%
Parayko 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2013, 06:52 PM
  #26
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,582
vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
Binnington again. People who are saying the goalies are a complete crapshoot: our last two high profile goalie prospects were Bishop and Allen. Bishop is now (probably) the starting goaltender for an NHL club and Allen has an NHL-only contract for 14-15.
Yeah, and there was Schwarz before that. And a few others I could name.

2 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:38 PM
  #27
Jzk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 1227
Lundstrom again then Binnington.

Jzk is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 10:41 PM
  #28
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
Binnington again. People who are saying the goalies are a complete crapshoot: our last two high profile goalie prospects were Bishop and Allen. Bishop is now (probably) the starting goaltender for an NHL club and Allen has an NHL-only contract for 14-15.
Hannu Toivonen, Jason Bacashihua and Marek Schwartz were all highly rated goalie prospects as well.

Goalie prospects are hard to read until they get to the higher levels. There are things they can get away with at the lower levels that Pro players pick apart.

In regards to Binnington, if he had played any AHL games last year we'd have a better idea of how he projects. As it stands, he is a complete wild card that could turn into the next Dom Hasek or flame out completely. It's just too soon to tell.

kimzey59 is online now  
Old
08-01-2013, 05:47 PM
  #29
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Hannu Toivonen, Jason Bacashihua and Marek Schwartz were all highly rated goalie prospects as well.

Goalie prospects are hard to read until they get to the higher levels. There are things they can get away with at the lower levels that Pro players pick apart.

In regards to Binnington, if he had played any AHL games last year we'd have a better idea of how he projects. As it stands, he is a complete wild card that could turn into the next Dom Hasek or flame out completely. It's just too soon to tell.
Toivonen and Bacashihua were busts when we got them.

Schwartz is the only goalie as close to a sure thing the Blues have drafted since 2000.

From a quick glance at our draft history it is apparent our biggest failures have been drafting defensemen out of the top three rounds. Maybe we should stay away from them?

As far having a hard time projecting Binnington comment, can't we say the exact same thing about the rest of the prospects on the list?

Celtic Note is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
  #30
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
I'm really rooting for Edmundson to turn out. I think he has a meanness and toughness that we lack at times on defense outside of Jackman.

HooliganX2 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
  #31
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Toivonen and Bacashihua were busts when we got them.

Schwartz is the only goalie as close to a sure thing the Blues have drafted since 2000.

From a quick glance at our draft history it is apparent our biggest failures have been drafting defensemen out of the top three rounds. Maybe we should stay away from them?

As far having a hard time projecting Binnington comment, can't we say the exact same thing about the rest of the prospects on the list?
Of course.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable projecting goalies until I've seen them play a decent number of games against a (relatively) high level of competition. I wasn't a goalie myself, I've never coached the position, and I'm far from an expert on goaltending technique. My opinion for goaltenders at levels lower than the AHL almost 100% reliant on scouting reports, and I don't find the scouting reports for goalies at that level to be incredibly consistent or meaningful.

I feel much more comfortable projecting a defenseman or forward based upon limited viewings against inferior competition, and I think that scouting reports are often more accurate/meaningful for these positions as well.

A defenseman "who needs to work on his skating," for example, can be further sub-grouped into those who have poor technique that is holding them back, those who lack top end speed, those who lack initial explosiveness (in acceleration or when changing direction), etc. Often I can discern those differences myself with even limited viewings, and if I don't have any viewings to do it then there are others that I trust out there in the mainstream media who are capable of doing it as well. Some of those things are more concerning than others, and I feel like I have a general idea of how correctable those major issues are and what sort of timeframe we're looking at.

When I see that a goalie "needs to work on his rebound control," for example, it holds much less meaning for me. Bad rebounds happen to even the best goalies, and they can often be the secondary result of defensive breakdowns from the team in front of them. Is it a chronic problem? How much of the problem is form related? Positioning/angle related? Related to things beyond their control? It would probably take a couple dozen viewings at that level for me to start forming an opinion of my own that I felt was worth anything, and even then I still wouldn't have any real idea correctable the issue is, and what the projected development timeline would be.

The bottom line is that I simply don't trust my own take on lower-level goalies that much, nor the available scouting reports, and I don't put much stock in the objective data for goalies at those levels either. For those reasons, they are always going to drop toward the bottom of any given talent tier for me.

Just my personal philosophy.


Last edited by EastonBlues22: 08-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.
EastonBlues22 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 06:46 PM
  #32
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Edmundson pulls away a bit at the end to carry the vote. Poll #10 is up.

EastonBlues22 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.