HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Don Lever speaks about Kostitsyn and Grabovski and others

Old
11-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
English is the langauge in the room. Teams usually agree to speak 1 langauge in the room. That's the way it is. Kostitsyn knows this, I'm sure he's improved but if his coach says communication is an issue, why would he lie ?
True enough. While it would be fantastic if we could just throw all our players of different nationalities and backgrounds together and expect them to click like Crosby and Malkin, it might not be the most realistic expectation. From all reports Kost does still struggle with English, but I know Derek Wills has mentioned and I think Lever mentioned in a pre-game coaches comment that Kost has so far put more effort into learning the language this year. How far he is getting with it and when we can expect him to be able to react to varied and detailed calls from the bench is another issue. Hopefully Kostitsyn will be able to help Grabovski adapt a little bit and between the two of them, they can muster more motivation to learn English.

And hopefully for both their sakes, they don't cross paths in Hamilton with any Geordies as I expect that such an experience would confuse them terribly. Although I'd love to see Don Levers face if during training, he turns to Kostitsyn and tells him how to execute a play from the point on the PP only for AK to reply "Whay aye man".

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:30 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
True enough. While it would be fantastic if we could just throw all our players of different nationalities and backgrounds together and expect them to click like Crosby and Malkin, it might not be the most realistic expectation. From all reports Kost does still struggle with English, but I know Derek Wills has mentioned and I think Lever mentioned in a pre-game coaches comment that Kost has so far put more effort into learning the language this year. How far he is getting with it and when we can expect him to be able to react to varied and detailed calls from the bench is another issue. Hopefully Kostitsyn will be able to help Grabovski adapt a little bit and between the two of them, they can muster more motivation to learn English.

And hopefully for both their sakes, they don't cross paths in Hamilton with any Geordies as I expect that such an experience would confuse them terribly. Although I'd love to see Don Levers face if during training, he turns to Kostitsyn and tells him how to execute a play from the point on the PP only for AK to reply "Whay aye man".
I'd heard that he had progressed, maybe from you now that I think about it. I have no problem with Kostitsyn, I believe he'll be a good player in th eleague soon enough, and I do feel bad he didn't make the team. I was more reacting to the thinking that communication wasn't an issue. Over the last few years, I've read how quite a few teams have realized that team building can be difficult when your locker rom splits into conversations in 4 separate languages. It sounds heavy handed, and I thought so the first time I heard it, but, I guess teams understand the machinations of locker rooms.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post
I was not able to speak a word in english like 1 year ago, I'm not a perfect speaker and I made mistake but honestly its obvious there is a lack of desire in their case... I mean its perhaps to easiest language to learn (You can watch TV or only read on the web and you will got it)

Good job, GSK.

I have found that I can understand your posts 99% of the time. Your grammar does not have to be perfect to be understood. Much of the USA speaks English poorly.

Anyways, it's great to hear that you're doing better with your anglais

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:17 PM
znk

but they do speak the binary language of moisture vaporators.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Mr. Hab

It can't be about English-Russian...(or, it can't be all about it).

Malkin...does he speak FLUENT-Russian?

Who cares? (the way he plays!).

Get KOSTITSYN back to the NHL...(well, at least as soon as there is an injury or an open spot).

He was so excited to be in the NHL...don't be a killjoy, let him play!
He'll reward all of you, all of us

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 04:30 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
It can't be about English-Russian...(or, it can't be all about it).

Malkin...does he speak FLUENT-Russian?

Who cares? (the way he plays!).

Get KOSTITSYN back to the NHL...(well, at least as soon as there is an injury or an open spot).

He was so excited to be in the NHL...don't be a killjoy, let him play!
He'll reward all of you, all of us
As good as he was in the exhibitions, he just doesnt deserves to be called up... He has to kick his *** and start dominating at the AHL level first, we all know he can do it, now its up to him... At the moment we dont need him, our team is doing good, our wingers are doing a solid job while Kost is outscored by some grinders in the farm.. Hello????

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 04:50 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
As good as he was in the exhibitions, he just doesnt deserves to be called up... He has to kick his *** and start dominating at the AHL level first, we all know he can do it, now its up to him... At the moment we dont need him, our team is doing good, our wingers are doing a solid job while Kost is outscored by some grinders in the farm.. Hello????
Kost did good in pre-season I saw one game and I listen to the other at the radio but he did good. Him and Koivu played really well together(Who isnt playing well koivu?..) He worked hard he got many good shots and all. He was one of the best player late in the camp. I thought he was gonna stay because he deserved it but we didnt have room for him.

Anyway I think they should call him because he's better in the NHL then in the AHL.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Not gonna disagree with you, just...

mentioned that as soon as there is an injury call him up (or Lapierre...forgot to mention that!)...

Personally I feel like you (well...I usually do! your kind of mentality...work hard & deserve it, etc...), but...maybe just maybe Kosts is motivated in the NHL, AND only in the NHL. I do remember seeing him so lively/alive in his 10-11 games in Habs jersey...he looked like a kid (sooooooo happy!!) when he scored twice!!!!!

Anyways...Lapierre deserves a call up too. I'm a huuuuge fan.
So much potential for Lapierre, I betcha more than we think...

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-04-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 05:52 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
but they do speak the binary language of moisture vaporators.

I just spit all over my screen. Thank you for that.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 06:18 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Exactly!
And that's not what the Habs want.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 06:25 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Just for fun, how many of our youngsters (Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Komisarek) REALLY dominated in the AHL ??

Exactly, none of them... and that iuncludes one of the best players on the Habs roster right now, Higgins...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 06:33 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Just for fun, how many of our youngsters (Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Komisarek) REALLY dominated in the AHL ??

Exactly, none of them... and that iuncludes one of the best players on the Habs roster right now, Higgins...
Perezhogin did have a very good 2nd half of a season, before trying to perform an oggie ogelthorpe on a player's head.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Nanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

Hopefully this has not been posted yet. French article by Mathias Brunet.

Don Lever's Google translated quotes:

On Kostitsyn

On Grabovski

On Lapierre

On Chipchura

On goalies
Mathias Brunet is the best journalist in town !!!

He knows wath he's talking about. He make some reserch before writing somethings. I think that there's is no journalist like him in Montreal. I never read somethink of him that is not apropriate.

Nanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 02:08 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Perezhogin did have a very good 2nd half of a season, before trying to perform an oggie ogelthorpe on a player's head.
True, played well, but... dominating ??

Old
11-04-2006, 04:12 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post
I was not able to speak a word in english like 1 year ago, I'm not a perfect speaker and I made mistake but honestly its obvious there is a lack of desire in their case... I mean its perhaps to easiest language to learn (You can watch TV or only read on the web and you will got it)
While you think you didnt know a word about a year ago its untrue, you knew thousands of words before you really started to learn, and that's probably why after a year you're almost fluent. You heard and picked up words trough songs, trough french expressions (une tank d'eau chaude, ben c'est aussi une tank en anglais, un show live et a live show c'est pas mal pareil, un truck pis A truck ya pas beaucoup de différence, etc) and with the help of words that are the same in both french and english (ex : garage, concert, page, litterature, etc).

On the other hand, learning a language that has NOTHING in common with the one(s) you already know is a totally different game, why do you think people who try have such a hard time learning languages like Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, etc ?

You think because they're in an english environement 24/7 they should pick it up faster ? in most cases yes, but in their cases (Grabovski and Kostytsin) most of the words and sentences they hear is about hockey (skate, defense, offense, goaltender, hockey, puck, practice, game, shootout, slapshot, etc) and that doesnt help much when it comes to make full sentences, express your frustration, try to explain a situation and so on...