HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Who is the captain in five years?

Old
07-23-2013, 01:59 AM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Being the guy on an internet forum who tries looking smart by pointing out grammatical errors, . I'll proof read next time if it bothers you that much bud.

But back to my original point, I am simply being realistic. There is no chance in hell Oshie is our captain. I have nothing against Oshie, he has been one of my favorite players since day 1, but he is not what I would envision a captain being. He doesn't drop the gloves(well, we saw what happened when that one time) which is something I would like in a captain. Also, he has been told numerous times by numerous coaches to stop trying to dangle and start playing north-south hockey. He is a great teammate to have, but he is not a leader.

And does editing your post so it say's "you literally have zero clue" add any thing to the discussion?
Well if you're going to take personal shots you should learn how to write if you want to be credible. Just saying.

Your reasoning is because he doesn't drop the gloves? Oh my... Yeah then there's no point in even discussing this with you.

Oshie is also a great fit in this system and probably one of Hitchcock's most trusted players so yeah, there's also that. I think he's developing more leadership than he used to have, but agree to disagree.

And to answer your last question, yes possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Steve French knows nothing.

Oshie will captain this team next year maybe.
Lol, this made me laugh.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:38 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Well if you're going to take personal shots you should learn how to write if you want to be credible. Just saying.

Your reasoning is because he doesn't drop the gloves? Oh my... Yeah then there's no point in even discussing this with you.

Oshie is also a great fit in this system and probably one of Hitchcock's most trusted players so yeah, there's also that. I think he's developing more leadership than he used to have, but agree to disagree.

And to answer your last question, yes possibly.
I never said Oshie would not be captain because he doesn't drop the gloves, I said dropping the gloves is one of the many qualities I want in a captain. Oshie's maturity has been called into question enough times that I really don't think there is a debate. On-ice and off-ice maturity.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Oshie wearing an "A" in the near future. I think he's matured as a player both on and off the ice, and I'm sure he has a strong locker room presence. I agree that he will probably never wear the "C", but that doesn't mean he's not a terrific player who fits our team perfectly.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

I think it'll still be Backes, too.
If for some strange reason not, I'd bet Pietro.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:12 PM
DeuceNine
Wall of Shame

Adam Cracknell.

DeuceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
letmesleep

Pietrangelo and Backes are the obvious choices, Schwartz is a dark horse candidate. Maybe Steen if Backes somehow gets shipped out before Pietrangelo is ready for the responsibility.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:04 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Being the guy on an internet forum who tries looking smart by pointing out grammatical errors, . I'll proof read next time if it bothers you that much bud.

But back to my original point, I am simply being realistic. There is no chance in hell Oshie is our captain. I have nothing against Oshie, he has been one of my favorite players since day 1, but he is not what I would envision a captain being. He doesn't drop the gloves(well, we saw what happened when that one time) which is something I would like in a captain. Also, he has been told numerous times by numerous coaches to stop trying to dangle and start playing north-south hockey. He is a great teammate to have, but he is not a leader.

And does editing your post so it say's "you literally have zero clue" add any thing to the discussion?
If you want the captain to be someone who drops the gloves than most of the guys in the league would not be ideal captains for you. Dropping the gloves really means nothing in a discussion for captain IMO. I know that was not the only thing u listed but going through the logical choices and none really drop the gloves.

Last edited by jarmoismyhero: 07-31-2013 at 06:10 PM.
jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Kreegz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
If you want the captain to be someone who drops the gloves than most of the guys in the league would not be ideal captains for you. Dropping the gloves really means nothing in a discussion for captain IMO. I know that was not the only thing u listed but going through the logical choices and none really drop the gloves.
It's not that we necessarily want him to be dropping the gloves all of the time, but he needs to be willing to drop the gloves if challanged or if a situation arises where he needs to come to his teammates defense.

For example, there is a scene in the movie "Goon" where the antagonist hits one of the players with a cheap shot, and the Captain immediately skates up to him and says "You know I have to fight you now right?" That's the attitude of a true leader and a perfect Captain.

Some perfect examples of this are Pronger and Sutter. They never went around looking for fights, but wouldn't hesitate at a moments notice to drop the gloves if somebody on the opposing team was messing with one of their guys. That's the role a Captain needs to play. He needs to be the first one to let the other team know that they can go **** themselves, and isn't afraid to put his money where his mouth is.

Kreegz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I wonder if we'll see Captain America trying to drop the gloves with everyone on the Canadian Olympic roster again this season. It was cool the first time around, but I'm not sure it would be so clever a 2nd time.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:07 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I wonder if we'll see Captain America trying to drop the gloves with everyone on the Canadian Olympic roster again this season. It was cool the first time around, but I'm not sure it would be so clever a 2nd time.
That was funny.

I wonder if he even meant to do that though. It was probably just heat of the moment coincidence. Backes is an intense guy, if you piss him off he will drop the gloves with any nationality player.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Open the Wickets66

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswede22 View Post
I will go a little of the board with my pick:

If by some chance the two most obvious choices are not the captain in the year 2018/2019 (i.e Backes or Pietrangelo) then I would put my money on Patrik Berglund wearing the "C".

This scenario obviously requires that Berglund uses this upcoming "one-year prove-it deal" to become the player that he thinks he can be...IF he does that (and becomes an impact player a few years down the road) then I think management will feel that he has shown the leadership-qualities to lead this team...
Funny, the only person who remotely considers Berglund in the mix is a Swede as well...wonder who your favorite blue is!?

Last edited by Open the Wickets66: 08-01-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Open the Wickets66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
This is a shot in the dark, but I could possibly see Pochiro being the next captain in 5 or so years, only if he develops into the player he was drafted to be. Again, still a shot in the dark, but his style of play and relation to STL could be a potential role for him. He'll need to develop his scoring though.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
This is a shot in the dark, but I could possibly see Pochiro being the next captain in 5 or so years, only if he develops into the player he was drafted to be. Again, still a shot in the dark, but his style of play and relation to STL could be a potential role for him. He'll need to develop his scoring though.
Not a chance. If he makes it, a big if IMO, he will be a Jordan Tootoo type player, not captian material.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
That was funny.

I wonder if he even meant to do that though. It was probably just heat of the moment coincidence. Backes is an intense guy, if you piss him off he will drop the gloves with any nationality player.
I think it was entirely deliberate. He sought out chances to drop the gloves with those guys. My favorite was when he fought Toewes. Was that the same game where he hit Toewes and the guy's stick snapped just below the hands?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Schwartz.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote