HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
  #701
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,591
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I want to hear more about expansion. The Fourth Period says its all but done. Quebec has the money, the arena, and are just waiting for the green light. Seattle just needs a buyer. For me, I'm psyched on this idea, especially if QC and Seattle are the hockey towns I think they can be.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
  #702
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I want to hear more about expansion. The Fourth Period says its all but done. Quebec has the money, the arena, and are just waiting for the green light. Seattle just needs a buyer. For me, I'm psyched on this idea, especially if QC and Seattle are the hockey towns I think they can be.
Having four even conferences would definitely be nice and to see some new teams would be kinda cool. As was pointed out earlier though when I suggested that Quebec would be getting a team soon as well, the conferences would have to be altered slightly to accommodate the expansion teams.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 04:14 AM
  #703
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Maybe someone can answer this:

Joe Pavelski was a Flyer, or could have been due to trading Lessard.... can someone shed light on my early morning brain....

205 Joe Pavelski (Centre) United States San Jose Sharks
(from Atlanta via Philadelphia) Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL) <---- draft info

dingbathero is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 06:30 AM
  #704
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Maybe someone can answer this:

Joe Pavelski was a Flyer, or could have been due to trading Lessard.... can someone shed light on my early morning brain....

205 Joe Pavelski (Centre) United States San Jose Sharks
(from Atlanta via Philadelphia) Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL) <---- draft info
I'm pretty sure that's just referring to the 205th pick. It was Atlanta's, then ours, then SJ's and they picked Pavelski.

That....could have been incredible if we had taken Richards, Carter, and Pavelski in the same draft.

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 06:44 AM
  #705
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's just referring to the 205th pick. It was Atlanta's, then ours, then SJ's and they picked Pavelski.

That....could have been incredible if we had taken Richards, Carter, and Pavelski in the same draft.
Yes at 205 we were on the board, i just can't make the connection of how SJ got the pick from us, can't find the trade that sent it there....

dingbathero is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 07:26 AM
  #706
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I want to hear more about expansion. The Fourth Period says its all but done. Quebec has the money, the arena, and are just waiting for the green light. Seattle just needs a buyer. For me, I'm psyched on this idea, especially if QC and Seattle are the hockey towns I think they can be.
I can't support the idea of expansion until some of the lesser franchises are moved to more viable markets.

flyershockey is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
  #707
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Yes at 205 we were on the board, i just can't make the connection of how SJ got the pick from us, can't find the trade that sent it there....
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2003.htm

Flyers traded Francis Lessard to Thrashers for David Harlock, 2003 third round pick (#77-Tyler Redenbach), 2003 seventh round pick (#205-Joe Pavelski) on 2002-03-15


Sharks traded 2004 sixth round pick (Ladisalv Scurko) to Flyers for 2003 seventh round pick (#205-Joe Pavelski) on 2003-06-22

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 07:40 AM
  #708
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,779
vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Yes at 205 we were on the board, i just can't make the connection of how SJ got the pick from us, can't find the trade that sent it there....
There were a couple of moves made that day including getting the Panthers' 2004 6th round pick for the Flyers' 7th round selection in 2003. The larger news that draft day was the Flyers trying to get the top pick from the Panthers (who dealt it to Pittsburgh) in exchange for the two first rounders (prior to selecting Carter/Richards), Woywitka and Justin Williams but Florida preferred to stay in the top four if moving the pick and ultimately chose Nathan Horton.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:15 AM
  #709
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2003.htm

Flyers traded Francis Lessard to Thrashers for David Harlock, 2003 third round pick (#77-Tyler Redenbach), 2003 seventh round pick (#205-Joe Pavelski) on 2002-03-15


Sharks traded 2004 sixth round pick (Ladisalv Scurko) to Flyers for 2003 seventh round pick (#205-Joe Pavelski) on 2003-06-22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There were a couple of moves made that day including getting the Panthers' 2004 6th round pick for the Flyers' 7th round selection in 2003. The larger news that draft day was the Flyers trying to get the top pick from the Panthers (who dealt it to Pittsburgh) in exchange for the two first rounders (prior to selecting Carter/Richards), Woywitka and Justin Williams but Florida preferred to stay in the top four if moving the pick and ultimately chose Nathan Horton.
Thanks... lots of moving, wow.

That is when we got that kid who was involved with the referee stabby-stabby incident

dingbathero is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:29 AM
  #710
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,923
vCash: 500
Watching the Behind the scenes shots of Buffalo's draft, they had Ristolainen ahead of almost everyone it seems. Even Seth Jones, they were worried about them taking him when they went up to the stage with their Finn scout. Pretty neat how these videos give you insight on the draft. Dallas also tried to trade up to get him as well, and Buffalo wasn't having it.

Prongo is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  #711
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Watching the Behind the scenes shots of Buffalo's draft, they had Ristolainen ahead of almost everyone it seems. Even Seth Jones, they were worried about them taking him when they went up to the stage with their Finn scout. Pretty neat how these videos give you insight on the draft. Dallas also tried to trade up to get him as well, and Buffalo wasn't having it.
Buffalo got two very good D men....Risto is going to be a good one for them. They reconstituted their D nicely and quicker all b/c the Flyers went on that meaningless streak....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  #712
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Here's the video Prongo was talking about



Those videos were pretty good, even though they were about Sabres' org. Why can't the Flyers have some kind of (mini)series? I would love to see some behind the scenes stuff!

Akanon is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
  #713
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Buffalo got two very good D men....Risto is going to be a good one for them. They reconstituted their D nicely and quicker all b/c the Flyers went on that meaningless streak....
I am on the opposite side of that winning steak debate. You never want losing to become okay in a locker room, it is the formula to breed a horrible horrible hockey team. Losing is a mentality, and it can easily be defeated. If I ever ran a team or GMed a team, there is not a chance in hell I would tank on purpose to get a higher draft pick. Look at the message it would send to the vets who are working their ***** off every offseason and in-season to make the playoffs for that last shot at the cup.

That meaningless win streak shows the Flyers, in front of a goalie who they had confidence in, could win close hockey games. The team was much better than their record indicated, and we started to see that when Bryz was given time off.

Prongo is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  #714
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Buffalo got two very good D men....Risto is going to be a good one for them. They reconstituted their D nicely and quicker all b/c the Flyers went on that meaningless streak....
If you want to support a team that tanks to get better picks, just go one forum down on the list here.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  #715
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's funny watching Devils fans try to pass off that brutal forward lineup as "great depth!!!"

Just because you have a bunch of extra grinders doesn't mean you have depth. They're relying on Elias more than we rely on Timonen.
What are you talking about.. Clowe is healthy and will score 40 goals!

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 08:59 AM
  #716
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I am on the opposite side of that winning steak debate. You never want losing to become okay in a locker room, it is the formula to breed a horrible horrible hockey team. Losing is a mentality, and it can easily be defeated. If I ever ran a team or GMed a team, there is not a chance in hell I would tank on purpose to get a higher draft pick. Look at the message it would send to the vets who are working their ***** off every offseason and in-season to make the playoffs for that last shot at the cup.

That meaningless win streak shows the Flyers, in front of a goalie who they had confidence in, could win close hockey games. The team was much better than their record indicated, and we started to see that when Bryz was given time off.
While there is some merit to what you are saying it was still pretty much
meaningless...especially since the roster has been revamped anyway and also it could work against them even more in the sense that Mason's stint was just an aberration.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 09:04 AM
  #717
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
While there is some merit to what you are saying it was still pretty much
meaningless...especially since the roster has been revamped anyway and also it could work against them even more in the sense that Mason's stint was just an aberration.
Or it could show the team enjoys playing in front of a player who gives his all out there and doesn't throw his team mates under the bus. We can go around in circles here for hours with this debate. I'll just say no victory is meaningless, even in a season where you are a lottery team. You want those young players to come up and taste success, and desire more of it. Who wants to continually play for a team that says losing is ok? I have never meet one person who is content with that.

We most likely will have to agree to disagree, because I will never advocate losing as ok. It just won't happen in my book, and every GM/coach in the league should feel the same way. If they don't, they really shouldn't hold a job.

Prongo is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
  #718
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Or it could show the team enjoys playing in front of a player who gives his all out there and doesn't throw his team mates under the bus. We can go around in circles here for hours with this debate. I'll just say no victory is meaningless, even in a season where you are a lottery team. You want those young players to come up and taste success, and desire more of it. Who wants to continually play for a team that says losing is ok? I have never meet one person who is content with that.

We most likely will have to agree to disagree, because I will never advocate losing as ok. It just won't happen in my book, and every GM/coach in the league should feel the same way. If they don't, they really shouldn't hold a job.
Whoopdeedo...moral victories are ephemeral. We can agree to disagree. I would have preferred the tactical decision to try to win the war than some meaningless battles...

It doesn't pay to be honest all the time....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
  #719
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,591
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Here's the video Prongo was talking about



Those videos were pretty good, even though they were about Sabres' org. Why can't the Flyers have some kind of (mini)series? I would love to see some behind the scenes stuff!
After 24/7, I don't think the Flyers get involved in any behind the scenes stuff for a while after the disaster that turned out to be. Granted the main culprit is gone now, I just don't think they will want to add that into the mix again any time soon.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  #720
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,923
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/sta...70292332675072

Quote:
"@Djlax2: @jprutherford Petro signing anytime soon?" ... Doesn't sound like it. Story in this weekend's P-D.
My dream is still alive. I wonder if it continues into September, who the first one to start rumors about Pietrangelo being on the block will be? My money would be on the one and only Eklund!

Prongo is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
  #721
flyersfan018
Registered User
 
flyersfan018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/sta...70292332675072



My dream is still alive. I wonder if it continues into September, who the first one to start rumors about Pietrangelo being on the block will be? My money would be on the one and only Eklund!
I could see it taking as long as it took Subban to sign.

flyersfan018 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  #722
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
I could see it taking as long as it took Subban to sign.
I could see it happening. Wouldn't that be something if he sat out the whole year and went to UFA. Man, Blue fans would be pissed(almost 0% chance of happening)

I still will like to keep an eye on the Subban negotiations up in Montreal. I think it is going to be more difficult for them to get him signed then people up there are leading onto.

This year there really has a really nice crop of free agents on defense, Jay Bouw, Phanuef, Dan Boyle, Markov. Now, we have also seen the teams holding the draft makes trades the last few years, and I think the Flyers might do the same. I just wonder who they target with that pick and probably +(got to think it's going to be a defender)

Prongo is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
  #723
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I want to hear more about expansion. The Fourth Period says its all but done. Quebec has the money, the arena, and are just waiting for the green light. Seattle just needs a buyer. For me, I'm psyched on this idea, especially if QC and Seattle are the hockey towns I think they can be.
It would be fun but we'd stand to lose a lot with all of our depth with the expansion drafts. That said the expansion draft would be fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There were a couple of moves made that day including getting the Panthers' 2004 6th round pick for the Flyers' 7th round selection in 2003. The larger news that draft day was the Flyers trying to get the top pick from the Panthers (who dealt it to Pittsburgh) in exchange for the two first rounders (prior to selecting Carter/Richards), Woywitka and Justin Williams but Florida preferred to stay in the top four if moving the pick and ultimately chose Nathan Horton.
That's crazy. Richards carter Williams for Fluery...

TheKingPin is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 04:45 PM
  #724
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,591
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
It would be fun but we'd stand to lose a lot with all of our depth with the expansion drafts. That said the expansion draft would be fun too.
I don't think we would lose any more depth than the rest of the league. The last time there was a single team expansion draft, the Thrashers selected one player from each existing team. If it is anything like that I don't think it would matter. The unprotected players would probably be guys like Rosehill, Hall, Gervais, etc. It's not like Schenn or Couturier would be on the list. It's likely to be all replaceable players.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 06:39 PM
  #725
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori
 
Mkoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Finland
Posts: 804
vCash: 840
Does an expansion team automatically get the first selection in the entry level draft? or are they just thrown into the main lottery with the best chance?


Last edited by Mkoll: 08-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Mkoll is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.