HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
25 times. But 17 goalies had 30 wins in 2011-12. Should we be okay with committing one of the highest cap hits to a goalie doing what passes as average?
If the alternative contract option ID not available, then we may not have a choice.

08-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Lundsanity30

I don't think there is anyway that Hank gets 9m per, Rask got paid 7, is Hank with 2m more power year??? 8 is my guess

Old
08-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
I think Hank could put up 30-35 wins when he's 35. That's still great, no? What number would you consider good for when he's in his mid to late thirties?
Who cares? Its needless and impossible to even try to project that sort of thing.

The past indicates most goaltenders' performance suffer after the age of 35. Will it happen with Henrik? Who knows?

Old
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Who cares? Its needless and impossible to even try to project that sort of thing.

The past indicates most goaltenders' performance suffer after the age of 35. Will it happen with Henrik? Who knows?
Agreed, it may, it may not.

However, Since the odds are not in his favor, we'd like to minimize the high cap hit with 2 contracts as opposed to 1 large one.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

That's the price you pay to try and win it all, isn't it?

Besides, Henrik at his worse is better than half the goalies out there. Can we really get that great of a goalie at a great price when the time comes? His compete is going to take him right through later years.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Agreed, it may, it may not.

However, Since the odds are not in his favor, we'd like to minimize the high cap hit with 2 contracts as opposed to 1 large one.
Sure. Lundqvist won't go for that though. Look, Im usually a stickler for contracts, but if theres one guy thats earned every penny he'll get, which I assume will be a 7-8 year worth $60M+, its Henrik Lundqvist. The guy has meant more to this team, over a longer period of time, than anyone I've seen in my 25 years as a Ranger fan.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:35 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Really not thrilled with the idea of having a 35, 36, 37-year-old goalie with a $9m cap hit. I know the the cap is expected to rise, but that's still a huge chunk of the team's cap space. The guy plays 65+ games a year. Plus playoffs. Plus Olympics and probably a future World Cup or two. He's putting a lot of miles on those knees. How many elite years does he have left in the tank?
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/12/10/ano...rrect-for-bias

Based on this analysis, it's reasonable to think that Lundqvist can maintain his current level until he is 37. He'll be 32 when his next contract starts. If he wants 7 years, I'm fine with that. He'll be 37 to start the 6th year of that contract.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sure. Lundqvist won't go for that though. Look, Im usually a stickler for contracts, but if theres one guy thats earned every penny he'll get, which I assume will be a 7-8 year worth $60M+, its Henrik Lundqvist. The guy has meant more to this team, over a longer period of time, than anyone I've seen in my 25 years as a Ranger fan.
Can't disagree with that. He's been the backbone of the team since the lockout. He'll get his money.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Spoke just two days ago with somebody that has met Hank regularly this summer. He said Hank wants a 7 year deal close to $9M. He will get that deal. You are right on here
Cannot put much stock to put into 'friend of a friend' type of info, but that doesn't mean this can't be true. And if it is true that Hank is looking for this type of contract....well, so much for all those people in the Lundqvist who said he won't bleed the Rangers for every dollar on the table, because his priority is on winning.

If Hank gets this type of contract...his priority is money. Period.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I don't think there is anyway that Hank gets 9m per, Rask got paid 7, is Hank with 2m more power year??? 8 is my guess
on the flipside though rask got paid $7 mil/year after being a #1 goalie for what, 1/2 a season only because thomas 'retired'...and hank has been the best goalie for 8 years

Old
08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

7 x 9 is tough to do for a goalie in today's NHL.

If anyone deserves that contract it's Henrik. And it would be way more tough for me personally to see him in another sweater.

But it is certainly tough to flesh out a roster paying a goalie that much. And if the last few years have shown anything it's that you need depth to go far in the POs. If that's where the numbers land you have to hope and pray the cap goes up.

08-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
9 million vs 7 won't win or lose us a cup, IMO, but could lose us one of our franchise's most historic players.

Lundqvist didn't even go play for his beloved Frolunda during the lockout because he wanted to focus on this team. Make him a lifetime Ranger, give him his deal.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
7 x 9 is tough to do for a goalie in today's NHL.

If anyone deserves that contract it's Henrik. And it would be way more tough for me personally to see him in another sweater.

But it is certainly tough to flesh out a roster paying a goalie that much. And if the last few years have shown anything it's that you need depth to go far in the POs. If that's where the numbers land you have to hope and pray the cap goes up.
Hank already makes 6.875 per year. Is another 2.125 mil going to really make that much of a difference? I also doubt he actually gets 9 per year. He will get more than any other goalie, but not 2 mil more than any other goalie.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

McDonagh could have gotten close to 6 million over a 6 year deal. There is your difference right there.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 446
Why not 8 years at the same total contract amount so it knocks the cap hit down a bit? Isn't there an opt out in the CBA for both sides in 7 years time?

Old
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

They really don't have much of a choice other than to give Hank whatever he wants. Losing him sets this team back immeasurably. That's as much managements fault as it is due to Hank's elite level of play.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
darko

I'd give the man 7/63. If there's one guy that deserves it it's Hank.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Hank already makes 6.875 per year. Is another 2.125 mil going to really make that much of a difference?
It might make a difference, yes. We could not ice an adequate team with enough depth around him at $6.875 million per year...it would be even more difficult at $9 million per year.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We have an adequate team around him presently.

The problem is not giving a guy like Henrik a huge contract. If we do, he should be expected to play 70+ games a season, though. The problem is when we give guys like Richards and Drury huge contracts.

Lets grow our own players. Find bargain bin FA's like Pouliot and Moore to round out the lineup.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
on the flipside though rask got paid $7 mil/year after being a #1 goalie for what, 1/2 a season only because thomas 'retired'...and hank has been the best goalie for 8 years
touche, but does he become the highest paid goalie by 2M?

Old
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
We have an adequate team around him presently.

The problem is not giving a guy like Henrik a huge contract. If we do, he should be expected to play 70+ games a season, though. The problem is when we give guys like Richards and Drury huge contracts.

Lets grow our own players. Find bargain bin FA's like Pouliot and Moore to round out the lineup.
Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

I was going to write that out in several different languages too, but I felt this was adequate.

We're going to have to pay the man, and I'm completely fine with that.

08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
This is a great point. As Hank ages through this contract, in order to keep him healthy and sharp for the playoffs he should be expected to progressively play LESS regular season games, not more.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They really don't have much of a choice other than to give Hank whatever he wants. Losing him sets this team back immeasurably. That's as much managements fault as it is due to Hank's elite level of play.
Agreed.

And if we do lose Hank, I'm not convinced that Sather will bite the bullet and go into rebuild mode. He will probably still try to make the team competitive, and I fear we could see a repeat of the Dark Ages. Not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough for a top 5 pick.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
It might make a difference, yes. We could not ice an adequate team with enough depth around him at $6.875 million per year...it would be even more difficult at $9 million per year.
Hank's contract wasn't the only reason for that. We had Gabby at 7.5, Nash at 7.8 and Richards at 6.67. Gabby is gone. Richards should hopefully be gone next year. And the cap should continue to go up.

If we are only going to have 2 or 3 players making north of 7 mil per season, I'm perfectly fine with Hank being one of them. Better him than rolling the dice on some UFA.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
11 times in NHL history a goalie age 35+ won 35 games.
Just curious, how many of these 11 times happened over the last 10 years? I don't think this is a big issue as a lot of starting goalies has still been putting up good numbers after age 35. Goalies in general is considered to be more durable and able to play into their late 30's and early 40's, as long as they take good care of their body.

I do agree however that Hank's play style is a bit concerning. He's basically a knee injury away from being mediocre cause it doesn't matter much how well you take care of your body, you will have problems coming back from a serious knee injury if you're 30+.

If he can stay healthy though for the foreseeable future I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to put up 30 wins or so per season, provided he has a decent team around him. It might decline a little bit I guess the older he gets, with hopefully a backup taking more and more games to keep Hank fresh.

Closed Thread