HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Penguins Summer Sign & Trade Emporium | Part XIII | No Buyouts for You!

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Vujtek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
You think we will make some moves before the season starts? In your opinion what is this team missing? thanks
Shero HAS to make some moves to get the team cap compliant before the season starts.

The team is missing some size and physicality on the bottom-6 but it is what it is. Can't really fix that right now with no cap space available.

Old
07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
lastcupever75
Phive cups PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain hook View Post
i don't like tanner glass but i don't understand all the whining about him either. He's not worth whining about. He's just a 4th liner that plays minimal minutes and his cap hit doesn't really kill us despite it being slightly high.

+ 1

Old
07-31-2013, 11:19 AM
lastcupever75
Phive cups PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I would not call him a terrible fighter/punching bag. He is a solid middleweight. However, ignoring his fighting ability and physical game, he is useless. Hopefully he can prove this season that he is not a liability on the ice. If not, he needs to be bought-out or placed on waivers.
i dont get it either. he had a some good battles with asham, martin, and simmonds last year.

all decent middleweights

want to talk about someone that sucks at fighting. look no further then craig adams

Old
07-31-2013, 01:17 PM
CHLLL Penguin

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't like Tanner Glass but I don't understand all the whining about him either. He's not worth whining about. He's just a 4th liner that plays minimal minutes and his cap hit doesn't really kill us despite it being slightly high.
You could buy out Glass, be about $1,000 under the cap and roll with:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
D'Agostini-Sutter-Bennett
Jeffrey-Adams-Vitale
Z

Letang-Scuderi
Martin-Orpik
Niskanen-Despres
xBortuzzo, Engelland

Not bad considering the cap went down. I would almost rather do that than trade Niskanen. Depends on what you can get in return trade wise though.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Shady Machine

There is no way Shero would operate the cap at $1k. You have one injury and you are f'd. Nisky is going to go.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
CHLLL Penguin

vCash: 506
Lol don't know how I forgot about that. Oh well one can dream of a Glassless Pens team.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLLL Penguin View Post
You could buy out Glass, be about $1,000 under the cap and roll with:
Can't buy out anyone anymore. That window has closed.

Also I don't get how buying out Glass would allow to have a 23 men roster like you put there. Pens are basically $1 million over the cap. Buying out Glass would free just that (there'd be buyout cap hit too which you probably didn't take into account; also burying Glass into minors would give Pens a lesser cap hit than his buyout cap hit would be). Then if he's replaced with Harry Z, that would still keep the team about $0.6 million over the cap. The math just doesn't work in that scenario even if buying Glass out would still be an option.

Old
07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
i dont get it either. he had a some good battles with asham, martin, and simmonds last year.

all decent middleweights

want to talk about someone that sucks at fighting. look no further then craig adams
Craig Adams is at least good at killing penalties.

Old
07-31-2013, 03:12 PM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Craig Adams is at least good at killing penalties.
Exactly... PK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fighting.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
MonsterSurge

I'd love to have a guy like Kyle Clifford. He can fight, pot 10ish goals, and hit. I don't know if he can PK, but he's a solid player.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
I don't think this deserves it's own thread so I'll put it here. Rorabaugh tweeted this a while ago and I didn't see anyone post it.

Quote:
Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters 10h
I've been told the reason Palffy left the Pens in 2006 off the record. All I'll say is it was for a serious family matter. He didn't "quit".

Old
07-31-2013, 10:38 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
I don't think this deserves it's own thread so I'll put it here. Rorabaugh tweeted this a while ago and I didn't see anyone post it.
That's a - relief? - to hear. I'd always held that against Palffy, figured it was just a Kovalchuk situation. Glad to be able to let go of my bitterness.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Not if he's looking for more than league minimum salary.

If Niskanen can be moved for a pick, then there'd be up to one million to give to someone like Raymond.
I think you're just saying he's too expensive, not that you think he's worth only league minimum... but yah. Probably not happening considering his last two deals were over 2M. He's a pretty good bottom 6 F (a big upgrade compared to what we've got going now), so he's going to be too expensive even with a Niskanen trade.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/670

Old
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I think you're just saying he's too expensive, not that you think he's worth only league minimum... but yah.
Yes, that's what I meant. He doesn't fit in Penguins' cap situation unless he's willing to take a pay cut just like D'Agostini did (and Raymond is the better player). Even at $1 million it would hard to fit him in even if Niskanen is moved. Wouldn't leave much cap room for the trade deadline or callups and Shero likes to leave a bit room under the cap usually.

The current UFA's will likely feel the cap drop as there's simply not much money to go around anymore so players like Raymond will have to settle for less than they'd want. I'd be surprised if Raymond could still get $2+ million like he's made the past few seasons. It's just a matter of how little he's willing to take and from which team.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
The current UFA's will likely feel the cap drop as there's simply not much money to go around anymore so players like Raymond will have to settle for less than they'd want. I'd be surprised if Raymond could still get $2+ million like he's made the past few seasons. It's just a matter of how little he's willing to take and from which team.
True. It will still be around 2M though, IMO. Someone will be able to afford that (1.8M, whatever) even if we can't. Still think Ray might be trading more than just Niskanen / that D might go younger than we think to save money, but we'll see.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
True. It will still be around 2M though, IMO. Someone will be able to afford that (1.8M, whatever) even if we can't. Still think Ray might be trading more than just Niskanen / that D might go younger than we think to save money, but we'll see.
I just don't see him trading anymore than Nisky. He brought in D'ags on the cheap deal to fill out the lineup. I think what we see is what we got on offense. We already have 14 forwards if you include Scrabbles. I suppose he could trade Jokinen and try and get a more Bylsma like player with the space saved, but I really hope not.

Old
08-07-2013, 01:08 PM
DegenX
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

We're what ... 3 weeks out from the start of camp? Every day I check to see if Shero has made something happen, and so far nothing. I have trouble believing he's going to stand pat and carry the cap overage into the season and have to deal with any penalties for it.

Old
08-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
We're what ... 3 weeks out from the start of camp? Every day I check to see if Shero has made something happen, and so far nothing. I have trouble believing he's going to stand pat and carry the cap overage into the season and have to deal with any penalties for it.
NHL wouldn't allow any team to play any game if they're over the cap. So yeah standing pat won't be an option.

What is an option is to demote Niskanen and Glass to minors and go with 22 men roster (or 21 if you want to have more cap room).

Quote:
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Matt D'Agostini ($0.550m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.625m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buried: Tanner Glass ($0.175m)
Buried: Matt Niskanen ($1.375m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,098,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $201,667
If there's no deal to be made, or no one even wants Niskanen and Glass from waivers, there's still a way to get cap compliant. Can't see it coming down it though as Niskanen should have trade value.

Old
08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
Like you said, there's 3 weeks 'til the start of camp, and Shero's a patient man.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:08 PM
mpp9

Interesting we haven't heard anything about Orpik this summer. How Shero handles that situation will be key. It'll drastically affect how our D pipeline will be brought along in the coming years. And how we're going to plug holes up front.

Still say Shero will resign him if its possible. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him move a D prospect to fill a hole up front on the cheap to make it happen either.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
DegenX
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
NHL wouldn't allow any team to play any game if they're over the cap. So yeah standing pat won't be an option.

What is an option is to demote Niskanen and Glass to minors and go with 22 men roster (or 21 if you want to have more cap room).

If there's no deal to be made, or no one even wants Niskanen and Glass from waivers, there's still a way to get cap compliant. Can't see it coming down it though as Niskanen should have trade value.
I hope it doesn't come to waiving Nisky. Looking at CapGeek, there are a lot of teams with cap space, but are at their roster limit. As for not letting any team play that's over the cap ... I've wondered about that. Has it ever happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Like you said, there's 3 weeks 'til the start of camp, and Shero's a patient man.
Shero is a patient man, but I'm an impatient fan

Old
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
Shero is a patient man, but I'm an impatient fan
This should be our board's official motto.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Freeptop

Quote:
As for not letting any team play that's over the cap ... I've wondered about that. Has it ever happened?
No, and it won't - the CBA absolutely prohibits it. It doesn't even list penalties - it just flat-out doesn't allow it. The assumption is that a team that was over the cap would basically have to forfeit games if they were over the limit, but it's all assumption, as no team has actually done so to date - not even accidentally. (Granted, if a team were to make a move that would accidentally put them over the limit, the League blocks that move from taking place).

In fact, the NHL has allowed teams to break other rules (such as the minimum number of dressed players) in order to stay under the Cap (both the Flames and the Devils have played games with fewer than 20 players dressed for the game due to cap issues over the course of the last few years).

Old
08-08-2013, 12:28 PM
gdsmack267

Heres the lineup I expect to be on opening day

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/30717

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Matt D'Agostini ($0.550m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.625m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.550m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,098,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,201,667

Last edited by gdsmack267: 08-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:34 PM
DegenX
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
No, and it won't - the CBA absolutely prohibits it. It doesn't even list penalties - it just flat-out doesn't allow it. The assumption is that a team that was over the cap would basically have to forfeit games if they were over the limit, but it's all assumption, as no team has actually done so to date - not even accidentally. (Granted, if a team were to make a move that would accidentally put them over the limit, the League blocks that move from taking place).

In fact, the NHL has allowed teams to break other rules (such as the minimum number of dressed players) in order to stay under the Cap (both the Flames and the Devils have played games with fewer than 20 players dressed for the game due to cap issues over the course of the last few years).
That's good to know ... thanks! With five teams over the cap right now, including the Pens, it should be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Closed Thread