HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Etiquette to falling?

Old
07-29-2013, 07:48 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Etiquette to falling?

I fall about 1-3 times per practice/game/shinny etc. Sometimes I'm holding onto my stick as my arms fly up in the air. This is obviously dangerous (but hockey isn't necessarily the safest sport). Is there some type of etiquette where you let go of your stick instead of flailing with it too?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Ozz

Hold onto your stick If it goes flying anyway that's the way it goes, but you want to do your best to not create additional hazards out there.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:03 AM
goonx

I feel you should just fall naturally. I feel if you worry about falling in a certain way, you might get hurt more easily. your hands will come up to break the fall and if you're worried about dropping the stick, one of them might be tied up.

If you fall holding a stick, great. if you drop it, doesn't matter. Ofcourse, if you fall and drop the stick, you're going to spend that extra 1-2 second picking it up. Since you're not playing a top-tier game, it doesn't really matter.

I would just avoid falling backwards, that's the most dangerous way. Unfortunately if you fall and the stick hits someone, it's not intentional and people shouldn't get mad at you.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:33 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Keep in that hockey stance... Knees bent, back straight, stick on the ice! You won't have as far to go when you fall and as a result there won't be any flailage!

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 03:01 AM
American in Paris

I you feel yourself going down, take your bottom hand off the stick and use both of your hands to brace yourself as you fall rather than flailing them up in the air.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:19 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
I you feel yourself going down, take your bottom hand off the stick and use both of your hands to brace yourself as you fall rather than flailing them up in the air.
I would think that using your hands to brace yourself would be a good way to break your wrist.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:33 AM
redbranch

I've watched 3 people in my beginner classes break their wrists by putting their hands out. Drop to your knees if possible

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:40 AM
jazzykat

If I fall forward I'll either fall on my knees and brace my upper body with my right hand (wrist straight, whole arm perpendicular to the ice) or catch myself on a forearm.

Theoretically I should never fall backwards while playing hockey and I know I need to work on my fundamentals.

Thanks for all the responses.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As you get better you learn to fall better. One drill we did a ton as kids was to skate, then fall/slide, then get up. Looks dumb, works great.

Don't stick your hands out to catch yourself. Lots of potential for wrist injuries. Large mass + high speed + hard ice + weak joint.

The faster you're moving, the less damage you seem to do. Then you're more sliding than falling straight down. Seems to disperse the impact.

Also, good elbow pads and pants are key. If I do fall and land on my elbow or hip, there's a ton of padding and protection.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The faster you're moving, the less damage you seem to do. Then you're more sliding than falling straight down. Seems to disperse the impact.
The less damage you do until the boards show up...

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:30 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
I've watched 3 people in my beginner classes break their wrists by putting their hands out. Drop to your knees if possible
Yea but if you're falling in a way that your knees aren't able to break your fall then your natural reaction is going to be to break the fall with your hands/arms. I don't fall nearly as much as I used to (been playing for about 2.5 years now) so it's hard to think of what I do when I fall. Just try not to table yourself if you're falling backwards. That can be painful and lead to a head injury. I feel like I use my upper arms/shoulders to break forward falls.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
CGNY87

Usually the falls happen so fast your instinct kicks in and you cant really decide how to fall. However, if you feel like you are going to fall try to fall your knees. That is one of the most protected areas (if you are wearing shin guards) and its the fastest position to get back on your feet and into the play. If you fall all the way down try and land on your knees and forearms. Elbow pads should cushion the fall and you wont break your wrist.

For falling backwards just land on your butt and hope the padding is enough. I know it is naturual instinct but becareful of landing on your elbows when falling backwards. I have seen a few people fracture their elbow by landing with most of their weight on the elbow. The best advice for falling backwards is, if you feel like your are going to fall when going backwards, sit down. This keeps you from smacking your head on the ice.

The worst is landing flat on your chest or back. It will hurt and knock the wind out of you. Also avoid falling into the boards. Major injuries happen then. Most people are nervous when skating and stay near the boards. Its actually safer away from the boards. Every major injury I have seen has been someone falling and crashing into the boards

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also there's heads up hockey, which has some safety tips.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:36 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
I would think that using your hands to brace yourself would be a good way to break your wrist.
Hyper extended my wrist this way and I was in constant pain for over 18 months. Now I just use my ass or hips. There's natural cushion there for a reason. For the most part my falls are blown tires which end up in baseball slides. No need to brace anything.

As for places to fall: Knees, hips, elbows. They all have padding if you're suited up correctly and will absorb impact a lot better than anything else. Best to take things at an angle and not a straight down impact with the ice if at all possible. If anything try to hit these first so they take most of the force.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Elbows are a good impact point when playing hockey due to your padding. Goes against human instinct, but don't worry too much about it, like a previous poster said if you're worried about falling a certain way as you fall you'll probably end up hurting yourself even more.

As for etiquette, the only etiquette I use is when I get back up I say, "No one saw that!" and keep skating.

08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
goonx

Quote:
i'm pretty sure most ppl rather put their hands out/arms out to break a fall than landing on their shoulder or face....

There are better places to land, i.e. your side, ass but when you're falling face first, there's only your face or your hands/arms.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
sxHarr05

I only know one way to fall-hard and fast.

Usually if I feel it coming I just lose all pretense of being able to stop it.

Sometimes I make snow angels.

sxHarr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post

As for etiquette, the only etiquette I use is when I get back up I say, "No one saw that!" and keep skating.

We all saw that. And next time, you and your stick are going to be on opposing teams!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Keep in that hockey stance... Knees bent, back straight, stick on the ice! You won't have as far to go when you fall and as a result there won't be any flailage!
Gonna have to agree. Seems like people fall from being stiff-legged.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Danglous

I'd like to know the secrets to springing right back up to the ice after falling (while moving). I can do it sometimes but other times I cant get a grip and go spinning into the wall or in a straight line 20 feet away from the play until I stop. So embarrassing. I see Claude Giroux and other guys in the NHL popping right back up effortlessly and I wonder what they were taught that I wasnt.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:21 PM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglous View Post
I'd like to know the secrets to springing right back up to the ice after falling (while moving). I can do it sometimes but other times I cant get a grip and go spinning into the wall or in a straight line 20 feet away from the play until I stop. So embarrassing. I see Claude Giroux and other guys in the NHL popping right back up effortlessly and I wonder what they were taught that I wasnt.
Experience. It's the same as hitting someone and not falling down: Experience and practice. And learning ho to use your edges effectively.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:40 AM
ahump90

Quote:
yes seriously, don't listen to that guys advice

ahump90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 07:20 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
i'm pretty sure most ppl rather put their hands out/arms out to break a fall than landing on their shoulder or face....

There are better places to land, i.e. your side, ass but when you're falling face first, there's only your face or your hands/arms.

yeah but very rarely in hockey do you fall directly in front of you. even so it's better to get your forearms out in front of you than to actually try to break your fall with your hands.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 03:53 AM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I would never fall on my ass if I could help it. I bruised my tail bone badly the other day and it hurts no matter what I do. And I have awesome pants, so I likely woulda broken it in lesser pants.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
We all saw that. And next time, you and your stick are going to be on opposing teams!
No one saw a thing, and my stick has a mind of its own, so don't blame it for that either.

Remind me to not buy sticks from Oceanside's pro shop again.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote