HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 05:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I don't get it either. I just heard on the radio that Amaro said they weren't getting good enough offers for what the Phillies would acquire in returns. If true, it's just more evidence of incompetence. ANY offer would've been acceptable as chances are the Youngs won't be back next year. Get something, a bag of balls. Rube better be active during waivers.
Someone pointed out that if they're a class B free agent or something the team would get a supplemental pick or similar, unless I'm misremembering. I'm not trying to defend the guy as god knows I'm not a fan and I think he's largely responsible for the not so bright future of the Phillies but he may be thinking that the picks or whatever is better then the likely return. Just a thought.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I don't get it either. I just heard on the radio that Amaro said they weren't getting good enough offers for what the Phillies would acquire in returns. If true, it's just more evidence of incompetence. ANY offer would've been acceptable as chances are the Youngs won't be back next year. Get something, a bag of balls. Rube better be active during waivers.
The caveat to trading those guys would have been freeing up some AB's & playing time for the young guys to see what some of them can do but Amaro just doesn't get it, he's hell bent on this team going somewhere as is.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Someone pointed out that if they're a class B free agent or something the team would get a supplemental pick or similar, unless I'm misremembering. I'm not trying to defend the guy as god knows I'm not a fan and I think he's largely responsible for the not so bright future of the Phillies but he may be thinking that the picks or whatever is better then the likely return. Just a thought.
That makes too much sense for Amaro to do.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That makes too much sense for Amaro to do.
Yeah, this is Amaro. The guy that doled out $50m for Papelbon and a 1st round pick went to Boston, and had he waited about a week or so after the rules changed he wouldn't have lost a 1st round pick (and possibly realized if Papelbon didn't sign elsewhere, he could've offered him less).

Quote:
I think you're remembering the old system, hence the pick going to Boston for Papelbon.
Here's the new system:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...n-system-works
Quote:
The system now in place doesn't entail any arbitrary classifying of free agents. Instead, a team that wishes to receive compensation must submit a "qualifying offer" to the outgoing free agent. A qualifying offer constitutes a one-year proposal worth at least the annual average salary of the top 125 free agents from the previous winter. For this offseason, that comes to a one-year offer of $13.3 million.

If a team makes such a qualifying offer to an outgoing free agent and the free agent signs elsewhere, then his former team will receive a sandwich draft pick between the first and second rounds. The signing team, meanwhile, will forfeit its first-round choice -- unless it's a top-10 pick, in which case the team would give up a second-round pick. The lost picks don't go to any other team; rather, the teams behind the vanished pick all slide up a slot.
Going that route is a bit more dicey now than it was a few years ago.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Kendrick is terrible. Should have tried to trade him, never been a fan.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:31 PM
FlyersFan61290

Good job Rollins!!

D Young batting cleanup

Old
07-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Kendrick is terrible. Should have tried to trade him, never been a fan.
Rollins is an idiot as well.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:39 PM
FlyersFan61290

I know they aren't the players they used to be but playing 3B with the guys at SS and 2B must be pretty damn cool.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Good job Rollins!!

D Young batting cleanup
What did the ultimate teammate do now? Anymore drawing on the field during the game?

Old
07-31-2013, 09:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
What did the ultimate teammate do now? Anymore drawing on the field during the game?
Didn't see this until now. Rollins got doubled up off first on a line drive to the second basemen. Utley then followed with a homer.

Listening to RAJ's interview during the 3rd or whatever inning, it sounds like there is still a distinct chance some guys get moved via waivers. Hopefully someone will be desperate enough to give up something decent for the Youngs etc and now that the compensation theory has been squashed anything will do.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:15 PM
FLYguy3911

This team is so ****ed.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:30 PM
jml87

Can we cut delmon young, please? He's so bad.

Old
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Didn't see this until now. Rollins got doubled up off first on a line drive to the second basemen. Utley then followed with a homer.
Ahh no biggie, J Roll is just trying to get to the top of the runs scored list.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:32 AM
jml87

Unbelevable

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...ire-young-ruiz

Old
08-01-2013, 08:43 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
That is pretty ridiculous. If they plan on resigning Ruiz, it's a sign they have no plans to rebuild this team. But I guess we are already seeing those signs.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Hiesenberg

They'll probably sign McCann to a 5 year deal and basically squash any of the C prospects hopes of playing in a Phils uniform

Old
08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Prongo
Beer

I will say this, we can't say Amaro was wrong for not taking the prospect in return for Young or Ruiz. Nobody knows what they offered, maybe they low balled him with a prospect out of their top 20 who most likely become nothing. Keeping the player and having him mentor the young Asche for the remainder of the season is better than making that type of trade.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Hiesenberg

Heyman is a Yankee thumper and a ***** stirrer, I believe almost nothing from him.

Old
08-01-2013, 11:45 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I will say this, we can't say Amaro was wrong for not taking the prospect in return for Young or Ruiz. Nobody knows what they offered, maybe they low balled him with a prospect out of their top 20 who most likely become nothing. Keeping the player and having him mentor the young Asche for the remainder of the season is better than making that type of trade.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Heyman is a Yankee thumper and a ***** stirrer, I believe almost nothing from him.
This. but less hateful.

On a lesser level, I feel Lee would have been dealt if the price was met.

There was no reason to trade Utley for the junk that was likely being offered, most teams wouldn't give a legit piece for him nor for the Young's or anything like that.

Everyone just needs to calm down and relax.

The offer for Ruiz, could have been some no-namer from outer-space who will never play in the MLB or get a cup of coffee.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Why? I don't see what Michael Young could show him in 2 months that Chase Utley can't. It's not like Young was ever an excellent fielder. I don't see the point of getting nothing for Young or Ruiz. The Phils aren't getting a compensation pick because neither of those guys, or Delmon Young, are getting qualifying offers, and if somehow they do they're not turning them down.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:32 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Why? I don't see what Michael Young could show him in 2 months that Chase Utley can't. It's not like Young was ever an excellent fielder. I don't see the point of getting nothing for Young or Ruiz. The Phils aren't getting a compensation pick because neither of those guys, or Delmon Young, are getting qualifying offers, and if somehow they do they're not turning them down.
Exactly. That's Utley's job, everyone doesn't need their own mentor. He's perfectly capable of taking care of the lineup. Utley mentors Brown despite him being an outfielder. Young and Ruiz provide nothing to this team anymore. They are free agents, so we get two months of their mediocre baseball and then they are gone and we get nothing.

Get what you can out of them now. Maybe you can get something good. I understand keeping Utley but there is no reason to keep these guys.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Exactly. That's Utley's job, everyone doesn't need their own mentor. He's perfectly capable of taking care of the lineup. Utley mentors Brown despite him being an outfielder. Young and Ruiz provide nothing to this team anymore. They are free agents, so we get two months of their mediocre baseball and then they are gone and we get nothing.

Get what you can out of them now. Maybe you can get something good. I understand keeping Utley but there is no reason to keep these guys.
Young didn't waive to NYY so it's a moot point anyway.

Boston nor Texas weren't meeting the asking price of RAJ for him, which I'm sure wasn't absurd as you guys are portraying right now.

Ruiz, I guess they really want to bring him back next season.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.csnphilly.com/show/lunch-break

This is a good watch as why they weren't moved.

Why move the players for players we will be releasing in October? Hold on to them to see in August if teams have injuries and are maybe more desperate. No reason to just move them to move them for nothing. Injuries always happen, a team might need a Ruiz or Young more in a few weeks.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:53 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
http://www.csnphilly.com/show/lunch-break

This is a good watch as why they weren't moved.

Why move the players for players we will be releasing in October? Hold on to them to see in August if teams have injuries and are maybe more desperate. No reason to just move them to move them for nothing. Injuries always happen, a team might need a Ruiz or Young more in a few weeks.
That may make sense for Ruiz, but for Michael Young the reason is Charlie Manuel will find a way to work him into the lineup regularly even if it costs ABs to Darin Ruf or Cody Asche.

Michael Young has a full no-trade clause. If you place him on August revokable waivers for the purpose of trading him and another team does claim him you can only negotiate with that one team. Because of his no-trade clause Young would have to waive it in order to be traded to just that one team and if Young doesn't waive it you can't even let that team claim his contract because of his no-trade clause.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

It's true that he can still move them. It's just going to be much harder unless guys clear. The problem isn't just Young and Ruiz though its that Papelbon is still here because they waited too long and wouldn't eat money. Lee is still here because they didn't eat money. Those are the guys that start the rebuild, not Young and Ruiz. They just add to the annoyance of seeing this ship sink and nothing happening to stop it.

They pretty much have to hope for injuries at this point, so that some team is forced into making a panic deal.

Closed Thread