HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

OT: Ten greatest athletes in Toronto sports history

Old
08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
diceman934

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post

Go read Conacher's bio.
Agree....I gave a more recent example...but he would be the person all others would be measured by.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:

Go read Conacher's bio.
OK, fine, the purest athlete that I have ever seen in Toronto. Better?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
He is probably the purest athlete that we've seen in Toronto, ever. Some of the things he could do on a basketball court were amazing! Definitely deserves to be on this list hands down.
You won't find many agreeing with this. He may not even have been the best athlete on the Team

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

It's pretty obvious the anti Vince Carter people are either very young or don't know/care for basketball. When the Raptors first came along it was a fun novelty but the team was terrible and not respected outside of Canada(kinda of like how it is now). Vince Carter single handily put the Raptors on the map and created an entire new generation of young basketball fans and hopefuls, Andrew Wiggins is one who cited VC as his inspiration. The dunk contest alone is part of Toronto lore. He carried the team to its first playoff run and almost into the second round. He didn't leave on the greatest of terms but that doesn't change the ground he broke for basketball in Canada.

I still get chills watching it to this day.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
It's pretty obvious the anti Vince Carter people are either very young or don't know/care for basketball. When the Raptors first came along it was a fun novelty but the team was terrible and not respected outside of Canada(kinda of like how it is now). Vince Carter single handily put the Raptors on the map and created an entire new generation of young basketball fans and hopefuls, Andrew Wiggins is one who cited VC as his inspiration. The dunk contest alone is part of Toronto lore. He carried the team to its first playoff run and almost into the second round. He didn't leave on the greatest of terms but that doesn't change the ground he broke for basketball in Canada.

It is not obvious that anti Carter fans are young..I watch basketball and have for many many years....I was a huge Larry Bird fan....I was not a fan of Carter....never have been....I say he did more damage to the raptors then good. He made the Raptors a joke...with the way he departed us he left us with a reputation that we are not a city to play for. He is responsible for the way we are still viewed.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis246 View Post
Its too bad that people on this board don't watch any other sport besides hockey. If you did you would realize that VINCE CARTER REVOLUTIONIZED CANADIAN BASKETBALL. Look at how many top 30 players in recent drafts Canada has produced lately. Canada Basketball is on the rise right now and we have that man to thank.
This. Put all the damn bias aside. Put your opinion of his personality aside. This man's contribution to the sport alone is unbelievable. He's almost the sole reason why we're becoming a basketball power. Why basketball started to become the fastest growing sport in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Steve Nash had a bigger impact than Carter, who turned many off the game with his selfishness.
That is completely false. Anthony Bennett (first even canadian first overall pick in the nba draft) even said in a recent interview that came out a couple days ago that Vince Carter had more of an impact on him and ask any top Canadian prospect or player. They would and have said that their biggest inspiration was seeing VC in those purple jerseys throwing down terrifying dunks in the slam dunk competition and with the Raptors. He was like Canada's own personal MJ. Kids wanted to be like Vince. Like I said, even little kids in the US at the time wanted to be like Vince. Kevin Durant even said he grew up a Raptors fan.

And Carter turned people off the game because of his selfishness? Lol what? MJ and Kobe, arguable two of the greatest players of all time were/are extremely selfish. That doesn't change anything. Those two along with VC drew people towards the game, not away.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
It is not obvious that anti Carter fans are young..I watch basketball and have for many many years....I was a huge Larry Bird fan....I was not a fan of Carter....never have been....I say he did more damage to the raptors then good. He made the Raptors a joke...with the left and left us with a reputation that we are not a city to play for. He is responsible for the way we are still viewed.
Absolutely, far more harm than good. Biggest reason why I know longer watch the NBA.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:35 PM
cage

Vince Carter must be the most famous athlete, world wide, to ever play in Toronto. The whole world knew who he was during his peak in Toronto.

Gilmour should be on that list though

cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Absolutely, far more harm than good. Biggest reason why I know longer watch the NBA.
He's the reason people started watching in the first place.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
He's the reason people started watching in the first place.
Perhaps for the young ones.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:42 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
This. Put all the damn bias aside. Put your opinion of his personality aside. This man's contribution to the sport alone is unbelievable. He's almost the sole reason why we're becoming a basketball power. Why basketball started to become the fastest growing sport in our country.

That is completely false. Anthony Bennett (first even canadian first overall pick in the nba draft) even said in a recent interview that came out a couple days ago that Vince Carter had more of an impact on him and ask any top Canadian prospect or player. They would and have said that their biggest inspiration was seeing VC in those purple jerseys throwing down terrifying dunks in the slam dunk competition and with the Raptors. He was like Canada's own personal MJ. Kids wanted to be like Vince. Like I said, even little kids in the US at the time wanted to be like Vince. Kevin Durant even said he grew up a Raptors fan.

And Carter turned people off the game because of his selfishness? Lol what? MJ and Kobe, arguable two of the greatest players of all time were/are extremely selfish. That doesn't change anything. Those two along with VC drew people towards the game, not away.
That statement can't be disputed, everything else is your opinion.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:51 PM
cage

People actually ragged on Vince as a player because he wasn't selfish enough.

cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

Man enough Carter already.

Like Diceman and I have been discussing there are 4 athletes missing from this list who should be 1,2,3,4 on it.

So if Carter can make it in one of the 6 remaining spots good for him. But it would be tough.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Lord the original list screams that it was done by someone that failed at sports history and doesn't know Toronto had sport teams before 1990. Or aka the usual when it comes to these lists.

As for my kick at the can:
  1. Dave Steib - The amount of times I rooted for this guy to get his no-hitter only to be screwed by the baseball gods is just insane. Best pitcher not named Halladay that ever donned the Blue and White, and IMO the face of the franchise during the 80's
  2. Mike "Pinball" Clemons - The main reason why anyone knew the Argos existed in the late 80's/early 90's, Pinball wore his heart on his sleeve and gave this beleagured franchise a positive player/coach to rally too during it's darkest days.
  3. Mats Sundin - Traded for the face of the franchise of the 80's, he became the lone rock in a sea of constant change that was the Leafs of the last two decades. IMO best forward to play for the Blue and White since Frank Mahovolich
  4. Frank Mahovlich - The "Big M" was the machine that drove the Leafs last dynasty. Along with Bower, Keon, Bathgate, Kelly and Horton, he'd lead the team to four cups during the decade.
  5. Dave Keon - Ballards whipping boy deserved more respect then he received from a team he played for a decade and change
  6. Vince Carter - I'm no basketball fan, and his attitude sucked **** at the end, but he could play, and along with nash are what Canadians think of when they think of NBA players that played or hail from north of the 49th.
  7. Roy Halladay - A pitcher that belonged in a different time, but coudl pitch in any period. Great pitcher on average/crap teams. Bittersweet to see him leave.
  8. Lionel Conacher - I dind't know that this guy even existed until today, and it's another example of how **** our history education is in this country. Folks that say it begins and ends with this guy are on the money
  9. Johnny Bower - Best goalie in Leafs history? Oh ya, he's on the top 10. No running him out of town.
  10. Ace Bailey - First (arguably?) superstar for the Leafs, and either him or Howie Morenz benefit games were the inspriations for todays NHL All Star game (the existance of, not the scoring derby it evolved into)

And the also rans:

Joe Carter - Love how he was the guy at the end for each of our WS wins (and how mentioning his name when visiting the outlaws is considered a curse word), but he's on the outside looking in. Sorry Joe.
Doug Flutie - If he had been here from the start instead of rocking it in Calgary and Buffalo definitely in the top ten. One of those guys that is close, but no cigar
Doug Gilmour - Guy was a beast, but sadly not for very long. He seemed (to me anyways) to be really good for the 1991-93 years....and then faded away.
Wendal Clark - Not being a Leaf fan, I always felt this guy was the Darryl Sittler of the 80's. Good player made great by the fans wanting someone to root for that didn't suck (hopefully that made sense). Love his fights though.
George Chuvalo - What if he had beaten Ali?
Carlos Delgado - A damn good hitter on a lot of average (and that's being kind) teams.
Roberto Alomar - Best second basemen that ever played in Toronto, only gets the cut for the same reason Dougie did; he wasn't here for a long time.

Disclaimer: When it comes to Toronto based teams, I'm mainly a Blue Jays fan. My hockey teams are Toronto's rivals, my knowledge of other sports is slim to none, but with research, I'm hoping that bias has been leveled. I also based my rankings on total contribution in a Toronto sports team uniform, and longevity and success over brief flashes of brilliance. Or at least tried too.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
If Gilmour had played more than 4 full years in Toronto he would of been a lock on the list.

10 years.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
If Gilmour had played more than 4 full years in Toronto he would of been a lock on the list.

10 years.
Totally agree. He was one of the very few Leafs in the last generation that I respected, rooted for, and wanted on my team(s). I miss those Leaf teams. (****in Fraser)

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
What more do you want? The list is full of all time stats leaders and champions. You can disagree with the list(as many will) but to say its depressing is ridiculous. Some of the cities all time best team sports athletes and you crap all over it? Thats absurd.

Do you think Yankee's fans think its depressing that majority of their greatest players played before most of them were born?No!Want to know why? Because they're the greatest players to have ever put on their respected jersey.The whole list is full of championship winning players. Maybe you don't like football or baseball but you have NO right to be completely disrespectful in the way that you are.

Carter - 2 World Series
Alomar - 2 World Series
Delgado - Leads Most Offensive Stats for the Blue Jays
Clemons - 3 Grey Cups
Flutie - 2 Grey Cups
Sundin - Leads the Leafs in most statistics
Mahovlich - 4 Stanley Cups
Keon - 4 Stanley Cups

Some names can be disagreed upon but those are all winners or lead their respected teams. Don't see whats "depressing" about it
You've missed my ENTIRE point. No one is disagreeing with the fact that these players are the best to wear the uniform. But when COMPARING the best that us Toronto fans have been given versus the incredible quality of athletes of some other fan bases it's truly depressing how awful our best is COMPARED to them.

For example, someone has to lead the Leafs in offensive stats and it's pretty sad that Sundin is the best we've ever gotten COMPARED to a team like Pittsburgh or Edmonton and I'm not even gonna talk about the Habs. The HFBoards history section rated all time players here and Sundin didn't even make the top 100. Now that's disappointing.

To even mention the CFL in the top 10 is so horribly unsatisfactory that if you can't see what I'm talking about you just don't get it.

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
boltz88

wait im confused where is mike komisarek on this list lol

boltz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

This is why I don't like basketball. Vince Carter does this and ignites a generation of basketball fans.

Rob Schremp does the same sort of thing, and he's an ******* who should learn to play actual hockey.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

What about Paul Tracy, Shaun O'Sullivan, and Joe Theisman?

All could be in the discussion.

Old
08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
You've missed my ENTIRE point. No one is disagreeing with the fact that these players are the best to wear the uniform. But when COMPARING the best that us Toronto fans have been given versus the incredible quality of athletes of some other fan bases it's truly depressing how awful our best is COMPARED to them.

For example, someone has to lead the Leafs in offensive stats and it's pretty sad that Sundin is the best we've ever gotten COMPARED to a team like Pittsburgh or Edmonton and I'm not even gonna talk about the Habs. The HFBoards history section rated all time players here and Sundin didn't even make the top 100. Now that's disappointing.

To even mention the CFL in the top 10 is so horribly unsatisfactory that if you can't see what I'm talking about you just don't get it.

How about a QB who left the Argos and went on to win a Superbowl and NFL MVP awards?

Think he is a good athlete?

Old
08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Alomar....athletically speaking was vastly superior in my opinion....
Dont know about ALL-TIME but in my existence of watching Toronto sports...Nobody is close to Roberto Alomar. Many regard him as the greatest 2nd baseman of all-time. Not just for the Jays but EVER....

He was an amazing, clutch performer. If you didn't see him play, you missed out. No Leaf in my lifetime comes remotely close.

I am not a big Basketball fan but even I don't understand how anybody can argue Vince Carter doesn't deserve to be there. I agree that he probably did more for Canadian basketball than anybody in the history of the sport...Steve Nash included.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:

How about a QB who left the Argos and went on to win a Superbowl and NFL MVP awards?

Think he is a good athlete?
Theismann was a great athelete, it's the CFL that's not impressive.

You know the CFL where the salary cap is about $4M. Did you know that the University of Michigan's althletic program's budget this year is around $130M where most of it comes from a few sports. Without looking it up I think it's safe to say that the University of Michgan's football budget for one team is more than the entire CFL.

It's embarrassing to mention the CFL as a league of any stature.

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
This is why I don't like basketball. Vince Carter does this and ignites a generation of basketball fans.

Rob Schremp does the same sort of thing, and he's an ******* who should learn to play actual hockey.
Carter was a star in the league and the best dunker of all time. There's a difference.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Carter was a star in the league and the best dunker of all time. There's a difference.
One is good at the sport AND can put on a spectacle.

I love me some VC.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote