HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Old
08-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
But we don't need to simply move some money it's the 3 and a half mil that we'd need to bring in another forward. We're in good cap position right now so there's no need to move any money around for the sake of saving money.

I'm just doubtful that Lydman hasn't already played the best hockey he's going to play for us.
What Snark said, but I will add that I agree Lydman's best days are behind him, but what he's got left is still better then what Allen will bring IMO.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
We have some 4+ million in space. That includes ~1.5 million in bonuses that may or may not be paid out (if they aren't paid out then you get credit).

They theoretically wouldn't have to free up anything to sign Grabovski @ 4 million. If you free up only 2 million by retaining salary/taking some cap dump back for Allen/Souray/Hiller then that is probably plenty of breathing room.
Why would another team want these players? Hiller doesn't count because we can't trade him. No one is going to do us a favor by taking one of these guys. No one wanted Wade Redden or Mike Komisarek so they had to be bought out. These two fall in the same category. Except they are more useful to us but not to other teams. If a team wants a big stay-at-home d-man they can just sign Doug Murray. If they want an offensive they can sign Ryan Whitney. There's no way any team does us any favors by taking either of these players off our hands even with salary retained.

The only player this team will possibly sign during the remainder of this off-season is Teemu and even then that causes problems. Not a chance we sign Grabovski. He is not the difference between us being a great team and a Cup contender.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
What Snark said, but I will add that I agree Lydman's best days are behind him, but what he's got left is still better then what Allen will bring IMO.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that. I was impressed with Allen once he finally figured out the game plan late in the year.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
bootsgaudet

DSP+2nd or 3rd for

Cody Franson

i think the leafs would consider that, he's the type of player they like and with komraov heading back oversea's would be nice third liner for them.

Smith-Pelly - Bolland - Clarkson

^ would be a great hockey line, sandpaper and brutal to the extreme.

My eval is based on dreggers Prospect + pick ... id pay the price easily, althought its apparnt we'd need to shed one of Souray / Allen to give Franson the money he wants. For his age and potential term id give him a 3 or 4 years at 3 - 4 million.

I also understand he would eat into vatanen's mintues but i think if we shed one of the vet guys this would be worth it.

Thoughts?

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
DSP+2nd or 3rd for

Cody Franson

i think the leafs would consider that, he's the type of player they like and with komraov heading back oversea's would be nice third liner for them.

Smith-Pelly - Bolland - Clarkson

^ would be a great hockey line, sandpaper and brutal to the extreme.

My eval is based on dreggers Prospect + pick ... id pay the price easily, althought its apparnt we'd need to shed one of Souray / Allen to give Franson the money he wants. For his age and potential term id give him a 3 or 4 years at 3 - 4 million.

I also understand he would eat into vatanen's mintues but i think if we shed one of the vet guys this would be worth it.

Thoughts?
100% not happening. BM specifically said he didn't acquire any D to FORCE playing time for Vatanen before his ELC is up. There is absolutely no chance he's going to blow assets for a player seeking as much as Franson wants and then not get Vatanen his playing time.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:49 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Heard a rumor that Lydman is going to retire and announce it soon.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
WrecKed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Per Aaron Ward:
Quote:
@aaronward_nhl: Speculation Toni Lydman will soon announce his retirement.He has turned down 2 separate,2 year contracts at 5 M total. #TSN

WrecKed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Unless it is health related that seems odd. When healthy, he is still quite serviceable. He isn't that old yet either.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Paul4587

That sucks Lydman is still a quality player capable of playing a 4-5 role. His body and brain have taken a beating over his career though its not overly surprising.

Glad to hear he had some respectable offers on the table though and he's able to walk out on his own terms instead of being forced out trying to play out another contract.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:26 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Unless it is health related that seems odd. When healthy, he is still quite serviceable. He isn't that old yet either.
Yeah, and the money he would get is pretty good too.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
He is 35, it simply might have been at that stage for him where it was stay in Anaheim or retire.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
He is 35, it simply might have been at that stage for him where it was stay in Anaheim or retire.
Well, if healthy his play would certainly still earn him a few more $1M years at the very least, if not more.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:27 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I really liked Lydman

I know they wanted Sami up here and Lydman was the odd man out with his contract being up but I was still hoping we could manage to bring him back anyways.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:30 PM
WrecKed

Always liked Lydman, wish him all the best if he decides to retire.

WrecKed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecKed View Post
Always liked Lydman, wish him all the best if he decides to retire.
I most certainly think it was that cheap hit by Abdelkador that may in the end end Lydman's career. It is a shame though cause for about 60-70% of the season he was our best Dman outside of Beauchemin.
Would much rather have Lydman then Allen or Souray.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

turned down 5M. It is probably an injury.

So sad, he was one of my favorite Ducks these past seasons.
Maybe he`ll put all his effort in his metal band

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:32 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Abdelkadar is a ****.

Shame for Lydman, one of the more underrated defenceman in the last few years for Anaheim, will never forget his first season with Lubo, what a pairing that was

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that. I was impressed with Allen once he finally figured out the game plan late in the year.
I'm on your side in regards to Allen. Towards the end of the season and in the playoffs I thought he was pretty damn good.

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:57 AM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
I'm on your side in regards to Allen. Towards the end of the season and in the playoffs I thought he was pretty damn good.
I agree I think he will have a good season. Allen-Vatanen will be a good third pair IMO.

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:50 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
That's fine, but he didn't during the playoffs. He single-handedly lost us that game in overtime and was atrocious during most of his shifts. He was completely victimized by Detroit's speed.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
That's fine, but he didn't during the playoffs. He single-handedly lost us that game in overtime and was atrocious during most of his shifts. He was completely victimized by Detroit's speed.
It wasn`t only his fault. That was just a bad play by the whole team. Look at how fast Detroit tranistioned from their own goal line to our goalline - it was in few seconds. Allen neutralised the first player (Nyquist), but no one picked up the second (Brunner). Allen was the most obvious player in that situation because he knocked down Hiller, but that was by neutralizing (not giving space) to the player that Sbisa wasn`t able to reach anymore at all.

He didn`t single handedly lost that game. I`m not even arguing about that only goalie in hockey can single-handedly lose a game. Allen was made the guilty one in that episode just because he tried to correct Sbisa`s (but whole teams basically) mistake.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
That goal was all Hiller. Allen was never going to win that race.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
He single-handedly lost us that game in overtime
I can put up with a lot of rubbish posted here (mainly as I post a lot of it), but this is just one of the dumbest things I've read on here lately.

Pinning that on Allen? Jesus christ.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I most certainly think it was that cheap hit by Abdelkador that may in the end end Lydman's career. It is a shame though cause for about 60-70% of the season he was our best Dman outside of Beauchemin.
Would much rather have Lydman then Allen or Souray.
Absolutely not.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:32 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I can put up with a lot of rubbish posted here (mainly as I post a lot of it), but this is just one of the dumbest things I've read on here lately.

Pinning that on Allen? Jesus christ.

He left his own man - who ends up scoring the game winning goal - only to fail at a diving pokecheck and plow into our goaltender which prevented him from making a save. True, Sbisa getting beat was the beginning of all of it, but Allen completely misplayed the situation and made it ten times worse.

So maybe you don't like Hiller going for the poke check? Well he did... and ultimately it stopped Nyquist from scoring. And if you re-watch the play again, you'll notice that he's still in a reasonable position to get over and stop Brunner from tapping the puck in before he gets knocked on his ass by his own defenseman.

So yes, maybe I'm wrong pinning the entire breakdown on him, but he's ultimately the reason we lost that game. Instead of ignorantly calling another person dumb, you should review the footage and watch him make a terrible decision that blows the game.

For the record, I don't have any sort of ill-will towards him either. I'm expecting a nice bounce back season from him because I know that last year had to be the worst of his career.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote