HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most memorable/earliest/favorite flyers memory?

Old
07-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
My first memory was when I was 8. My brother took me to my first game, it was against the Penguins and he had gotten seats down in the 1st level. I remember being scared to get hit with the puck, and he kept telling me that I wasn't going to get hit.

All I remember is John Leclair, in his first year with the team I think, taking a shot, it deflecting out of play, and smacking a lady in the head a couple rows in front of me. She then stumbled out and collapsed on the steps next to me before the ushers cam and helped her out.

Favorite for me is probably Primeau in Game 6 in '04, or the Boston comeback. I actually jumped high enough to touch my head against an 8' ceiling when Primeau scored, which is crazy for me because I'm short and can't jump.

The most memorable moments I have are almost all bad so I'll just skip those.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:11 PM
kelmitchell

My favorite memories have to be "the comeback" and the night I went to the flyers game against Ottawa aka the brawl that was my favorite game I've ever been to

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:25 PM
BernieParent

There are a lot of great moments mentioned here. The Roenick OT goal was huge, and The Comback will always be a highlight, as will watching The Shift amidst my Habs-fan friends. Then there was the game against the Red Army. My favourite live moment was being at the Bell Centre to see the Flyers, led by LeClair, destroy the Canadiens.

Worst moment was Lindbergh's death.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Nothing beats it.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:04 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Earliest? Hextall scoring a goal.
Most memorable - lindros getting destroyed by Stevens. (Stevens retired due to PCS....I-ron-y!!!)
Favourite - the primeau show in 2004/the 2010 run (went and saw first two home games of SCF!)
Honourable mention - leclair scoring the goal through the net, handzus scoring on a penalty shot in overtime to win against the rags (pre-shoot out), the comeback against Carolina.

Last edited by flyersjamminontheone: 07-31-2013 at 02:15 PM.
flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

It's hard for me to remember before the 03-04 season.

But these two from the 03-04 season always are amazing:

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:58 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I think the first time I saw the Flyers play is when they came to the MCI center to play the Capitals in 03-04. I remember the Flyers won the game and the other thing I remember about the game is Donald Brashear either landed a big hit on someone that caused them to fly a few feet into the boards or the hit happened to him. The first hockey game I went to was in the mid-to-late 90s (I think Chris Simon was on the team) with the Caps possibly playing the Senators or the Canucks.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-31-2013 at 09:29 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Ohhhhh. Good call. That's up there with The Shift.
Gotta love it!

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
To add to some of the recent ones, this will always be a good one:

The last couple regular season games vs the Pens and that playoff series were ****ing awesome

Hockey season needs to start.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Nothing beats it.

I don't know if you meant it literally or not, but I would actually agree (even in the literal sense).

I wouldn't trade that series for a Cup. Sure, I'd absolutely love to see the Flyers win a Cup in my lifetime, but this comeback was a part of history. Something that happens in our sport maybe once in a generation. A team wins the Cup every year, but a series like this? No, a series like that is why I watch sports. Just something truly special.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 05:42 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
I don't know if you meant it literally or not, but I would actually agree (even in the literal sense).

I wouldn't trade that series for a Cup. Sure, I'd absolutely love to see the Flyers win a Cup in my lifetime, but this comeback was a part of history. Something that happens in our sport maybe once in a generation. A team wins the Cup every year, but a series like this? No, a series like that is why I watch sports. Just something truly special.
While that was an awesome comeback, I'd still rather have a cup. No doubt in my mind.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
While that was an awesome comeback, I'd still rather have a cup. No doubt in my mind.
That's fine, and I'm certainly not going to criticize you for that opinion (and I know I'm a vast minority here), but there's a difference between "I'd rather have a Cup" and "I'd rather watch my team win a Cup".

Because for me, as a fan, I'm never going to have a Cup. Though it would bring me great happiness to watch the Flyers win it all, I think a 3-0 comeback is more impressive than a Cup win even if it's less fulfilling for a player. If I were a player, I take the Cup 10 times out of 10, but as a fan, seeing the Flyers win the Cup won't give meaning to my life's work like it does for a player.

So at the end of the day, I'd prefer the achievement which is more unique and more special and less likely to happen again for a few more decades.

Just my opinion, though. I don't expect many (or any) to agree with me.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
The Couturier Effect

Gonna add this to the list because it's the highest I have ever heard Saunder's voice get.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Jumping

#1 Bill Barber's goal against the Bruins in the Cup Finals. It was called by Bobby Orr, "the greatest wrist shot ever."

#2 Primeau v Tugnutt. I remember because it was really funny. I was in Denver on a business trip and went out to dinner during the last part of the game and thought, oh well I will miss the rest of the game. Came back to my room like 2 hours later, turned on my TV and there it was, and I thought, "great, they are showing a replay." Watched for 5 minutes (well I had been drinking) before realizing it was the second overtime period. Watched the rest and enjoyed the heck out of that goal. Primeau was amazing that year.

Worst - Barry Ashbee losing his eye against the Rangers... so random, such a terrible thing to happen to a warrior like Ashbee. Could say the same thing about Lappy as well.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:16 AM
PhilaFlyers

You Can't Beat Us 4:24

Old
08-01-2013, 07:01 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

My first memory as an actual, coherent fan was watching Homer punch linesman Andy van Hellemond. I thought it was so cool, I wrote a report about it in the fourth grade.

One of my very first memories as a somewhat coherent human was 5/27/75.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:15 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I remember the Flyers getting upset by the Rangers in the playoffs the year Pelle died. I remember how downtrodden they were in the lockeroom. However, the clearest memory was Hextall's debut against the Oilers. It was on ESPN and he had an awesome game and of course an awesome year..despite falling short of the cup.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Probably my earliest memory of the flyers is gagne's game 6 winner, and on the verge of tears of the game 7 loss as a kid.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
MR28
McDavid pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
The last couple regular season games vs the Pens and that playoff series were ****ing awesome

Hockey season needs to start.
I can't even watch that video. So much garbage from the Penguins in thirty seconds.
Makes me want to throw up.

MR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

LeClair tossing a Devil through the boards into a stanchion remains my favorite hit of all time. He just tosses the guy like an annoying child...even if the door didn't give, it would have been a ridiculous hit.

08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
flyersguy33*

I remember going to the last regular season game at the spectrum and having all of the flyers come out for one last lap around the rink. That was pretty cool. Also being at the Flyers Send brawl game was a great one to be at..

Other memorable moments

The 2004 run. I thought that team had. Game 6 is a game I could watch any time.

The 2010 run was even better. Interning and getting to go to those games made it even better.

Attendee the All-Star game but sadly i don't remember much

I also remember getting to watch warmups from the zamboni enterence one game at the spectrum against the Bruins. Got to walk by the locker room and see Ray Borque.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
LeClair tossing a Devil through the boards into a stanchion remains my favorite hit of all time. He just tosses the guy like an annoying child...even if the door didn't give, it would have been a ridiculous hit.

That is a damn good one... my all time fave is a combo one by Lindros vs the Penguins, he hits the first guy and flattens him, then the second guy tries to come in and hit him in retaliation, Lindros just puts his shoulder into him while standing still and that guy ends on his ass as well.

Can't find it but sure it is on youtube.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone else make so many big hits and stay on his feet after them, so many guys fall with the guy they hit.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
peacepipe

Primeau tieng it up game 6 against the lightning i still get goosebumps watching

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:45 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:

Ehh I'd still happily take a Cup over that comeback. Even in 2010 I'd trade that comeback to beat the Blackhawks. But that series is certianly just as unforgettable. The heart they showed in that series was Absolitely incredible.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
El Emperor

Giroux's hit on Crosby and the follow up goal.

That series and ultimately that sequence was the big F U to the whole Pens bandwagon media train. Just when the Pens looked like they might come all the way back from 3-0, Giroux responds with what has to be one of the best 1st shifts ever.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote