HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dave Poulin VP of Hockey Operations on Kadri and Franson

Old
08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
DPyro

vCash: 500
Dave Poulin VP of Hockey Operations on Kadri and Franson

What I've been trying to tell people for awhile, you don't need a 23 man roster and the Leafs have more cap space than people think.

Link

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Recap would be great if someone would be so kind to post one.

08-01-2013, 04:51 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Listened this morning, it seems pretty clear to me that were going with a sub 23 man roster. Stressed that its Aug 1, still 5 weeks away from even the rookie tournament. Stressed that things take time, that its extremely difficult to get a 9% decrease in salary, but keep the current team and try to improve in a short period of time.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

That's a scary thought. 22 or 21 man roster means little room to manoeuvre on a nightly basis. Once injuries start creeping up it can be tough to move guys in and out of the lineup. Plus nobody gets a night off.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Recap would be great if someone would be so kind to post one.
- Poulin reiterates that it's still quite early in the offseason - five weeks until rookie camp. Firmly believes that things will get done.

- Questions the information that people are using. He says that the roster only needs to be 20 players (18 skaters, 2 goalies), not 23.

- Mentions they've been able to reduce salary, but believes the team is improved, takes some pride in that.

- Timetable is not set in stone, conversations are happening, but they also need time to breathe in the summer.

- Believes Fraser's deal is fair.

- Liles situation will play out, praises Liles as a pro. Mentioned the concussion as a mitigating factor for last season.

- Nonis touches base with Carlyle on decision making, reminds that their relationship has been long-lasting. Believes there is a mutual respect between management and coaching.

- By the first day of the season (October 1st), you must be under the cap and purge any 10% overage. Mentions it can be more difficult to get rid of overages as time goes on.

- Poulin is going to Bratislava for the U-18 Ivan Hlinka tourney. Reminds that it is a great tournament, providing the first look at the upcoming draft class.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
If Poulin could give an example of a year where this team didn't go with a 23 man roster, that'd be great.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Thanks for the recaps, guys. Appreciate it!

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
If Poulin could give an example of a year where this team didn't go with a 23 man roster, that'd be great.
Honestly, I think most teams the last couple of years have gone with a 21-22 man roster.

Leafs are one of the only teams the past couple of years to seemingly always carry 23 men.

I mean, really, why would you carry 23 man roster when there's a salary cap that calculates every day of the season? Is there really worry that you're going to have 3 immediate injuries one night that will not require a DL and/or wouldn't be able to fly someone in from the minors quick enough?

No team should carry more than a 22 man roster, IMO.

And if there's enough versatility, a 21 man roster should work fine in most instances as well.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Regardless, the encouraging thing is that all the noises coming out of the front office seem to indicate that they have no intention of losing Kadri or Franson, which is very good news, even if it should be obvious.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Trainspotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Honestly, I think most teams the last couple of years have gone with a 21-22 man roster.

Leafs are one of the only teams the past couple of years to seemingly always carry 23 men.

I mean, really, why would you carry 23 man roster when there's a salary cap that calculates every day of the season? Is there really worry that you're going to have 3 immediate injuries one night that will not require a DL and/or wouldn't be able to fly someone in from the minors quick enough?

And if there's enough versatility, a 21 man roster should work fine in most instances as well.
Marlies being in the same city gives The Leafs options.

Trainspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:09 PM
sangreale

Quote:

Especially when you consider, that on this team for 50% of the year, the player called up only needs cab fare.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
JackJ

Buy out Liles.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:35 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Buy out Liles.
That's a real dumb move.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:37 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Buy out Liles.
Bad asset management. I think we can get something for him, not that I eager to trade him either as we need at least some dept on defense.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:42 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
That's a real dumb move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Bad asset management. I think we can get something for him, not that I eager to trade him either as we need at least some dept on defense.
The trade route is unlikely. A buyout is probably the only play he has left.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
He can bury somebody in minors add close to another mil in space. There will be injuries, Liles isn't a stiff, a buyout will haunt us for years. Let Cody sit in the press box and watch Reilly flying around,I suspect his demands will wane.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Aplayaz2000

well i dont think both players will sign for 2.5

so franson will be traded
sadly

or kadri
cant imagine a horror conclusion that will follow

Aplayaz2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

When your desire is to put players like Komisarek and Liles in the pressbox and play other people then you have a need for more players on the team above 20.

Maybe Liles can play on the Marlies this season replacing Ranger and that allows them to cut the team back by 1, and saves them $925k cap space in the process.

08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
When your desire is to put players like Komisarek and Liles in the pressbox and play other people then you have a need for more players on the team above 20.

Maybe Liles can play on the Marlies this season replacing Ranger and that allows them to cut the team back by 1, and saves them $925k cap space in the process.
One way contract?

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
One way contract?
Yup its a 1-way, just like Connolly and Komisarek contracts were last season.

Doesn't prevent the team from putting him on waivers and demoting off the team. They get a $925k credit against his $3.8 mil cap by doing it.

The credit covers Rielly's base salary cap hit, and opens a roster spot for the kid in the process.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:52 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
One way contract?
Wont stop him from playing on the Marlies. All that means is he gets paid the same amount to play there as in the NHL.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:53 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
He can bury somebody in minors add close to another mil in space. There will be injuries, Liles isn't a stiff, a buyout will haunt us for years. Let Cody sit in the press box and watch Reilly flying around,I suspect his demands will wane.
Rather screw Liles then Franson. Otherwise he'll bolt the first chance he gets.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Hotlanta

Liles is still an important part of this team. Why would we trade a player when we can most likely fit under the cap if we only run a 21 player roster. When 2.5m comes off the books from buyouts next year and the cap goes up, we will be happy we kept Liles. He will either rebound and have trade value, rebound and become an integral part of the team or we solve the problem next year when other teams have more cap flexibility.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Rather screw Liles then Franson. Otherwise he'll bolt the first chance he gets.
All you screw is the team, Darcy Tucker says hi.

Old
08-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Over the last 5 seasons we've learnt as a whole that anybody can be dumped for the right price. Look at Edmonton, a year ago Horcoff couldn't be given away on one of those ticket deals the Panthers have...Now he's on Dallas. The price was a pick and Phillip Larsen, who is I might add a good young Dman.
The Leafs have traded Toskala, Blake, Lebda and Slaney, not to mention a gun shy Kaberle. So it can be done.....

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote