HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2013, 09:58 PM
  #701
jml87
Registered User
 
jml87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
**** this team. **** this piece of **** team. I have never been so angry at a team in my life. Half these idiots should be DFA'd. People pay money to watch this crap. Players get millions of dollars to go out and pop up like morons. GMs paid to stick their fingers up their nose. This is ********!!

jml87 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 09:58 PM
  #702
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 20,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
This team can't even drive in a run when it's practically handed to them.

I don't even know why i watch anymore.
I think that was more entertaining then if they won honestly. I was just laughing the entire time.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:01 PM
  #703
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,069
vCash: 500
It really sucks that there's not even a draft pick to look forward to for their ****y efforts compared to the other three sports.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:02 PM
  #704
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 30,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It really sucks that there's not even a draft pick to look forward to for their ****y efforts compared to the other three sports.
This is supposed to the best draft in 5 years. The way they are going it will definitely be a top 10 pick.

Justified is online now  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:07 PM
  #705
jml87
Registered User
 
jml87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
This is supposed to the best draft in 5 years. The way they are going it will definitely be a top 10 pick.
They could get Bryce Harper 2.0, they still wouldn't bring him up until he's like 27.

jml87 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM
  #706
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 30,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
They could get Bryce Harper 2.0, they still wouldn't bring him up until he's like 27.
hahaha so true. Im happy they called up Asche and Martin up. Amaro said yesterday that it is not out of the question that Franco could win a spot in spring training next year.

Justified is online now  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM
  #707
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,003
vCash: 500
First Papelbum blows the save, then we have the bases loaded with nobody out in the bottom of the 9th with a chance to win?!?!?! **** this team. I want everyone fired by tomorrow.

I'm glad they're losing. I want Amaro to look like the biggest moron on the planet when this team finishes last for the next 5 years because of his idiotic way of running the team.

EDIT: I WANT HOCKEY!!!!!!!


Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 08-01-2013 at 10:17 PM.
The Couturier Effect is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
  #708
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
This is supposed to the best draft in 5 years. The way they are going it will definitely be a top 10 pick.
Well that's encouraging but my point was that the baseball draft is the biggest crapshoot in terms of drafting players out of all the four major sports. Sans an A-Rod, Griffey Jr, or Harper type of player we're likely not to see this pick for a couple of years in the pros if the guy even gets that far.

It's a little more exciting in the other sports when you have a better idea of what you're drafting.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 10:31 PM
  #709
Devastate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I think that was more entertaining then if they won honestly. I was just laughing the entire time.
It was funny because even with the bases loaded with no outs, you KNEW it was going to lead to nothing.

Devastate is offline  
Old
08-01-2013, 11:57 PM
  #710
Ilya Bryzastor
Registered User
 
Ilya Bryzastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
They Phillies of the late 90's are creeping around the corner sadly.

Ilya Bryzastor is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 07:53 AM
  #711
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,462
vCash: 500
I'm hoping for a college draft pick.

Protest is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:07 AM
  #712
jml87
Registered User
 
jml87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
I had a dream last night that Amaro was fired and they hired an actual good General Manager. Best dream ever.

jml87 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:20 AM
  #713
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I had a dream last night that Amaro was fired and they hired an actual good General Manager. Best dream ever.
That's sad, I can name about 10 better dreams off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure they'd be deemed inappropriate and shouldn't be discussed on this board.

Edit: Just messing with you.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
  #714
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I had a dream last night that Amaro was fired and they hired an actual good General Manager. Best dream ever.
Don't worry, you can just jump ship to the Dodgers too. That way you won't even have to leave the Kings board.

flyershockey is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  #715
jml87
Registered User
 
jml87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Don't worry, you can just jump ship to the Dodgers too. That way you won't even have to leave the Kings board.
Pft, no. Love my Phillies, even if they are losing and even if they traded Utley, it would be understandable. Hatred is much deeper for that other team

I don't think I could stomach rooting for the Dodgers. Puig, Ramirez, and now Brian Wilson? Ugh, what a lineup of jackasses

jml87 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
  #716
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Pft, no. Love my Phillies, even if they are losing and even if they traded Utley, it would be understandable. Hatred is much deeper for that other team

I don't think I could stomach rooting for the Dodgers. Puig, Ramirez, and now Brian Wilson? Ugh, what a lineup of jackasses
It's funny that you jumped ship from the Flyers because of bad "management policies", but you still root for the Phillies who have a much longer history of being poorly managed. The Phillies from the mid-90's (post WS team) until about 2005 were one of the most dreadful franchises in sports, and notoriously cheap.

flyershockey is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:38 AM
  #717
jml87
Registered User
 
jml87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's funny that you jumped ship from the Flyers because of bad "management policies", but you still root for the Phillies who have a much longer history of being poorly managed. The Phillies from the mid-90's (post WS team) until about 2005 were one of the most dreadful franchises in sports, and notoriously cheap.
Different reasons behind it but in the end, the Phillies did make the right decisions. Sure I remember them being cheap and just rooting for the .500 mark a lot of years. I did get annoyed with how little they actually tried to get better, but they had so many issues, it wasn't one outstanding thing they could do.

Then, they got someone from outside the organization and they built and stuck with a young core of awesome players. Then, they won a championship. So they will get credit for that forever from me. Wish they'd do it again. But really, Amaro actually has tried to get things they need. He's just an epic moron and gets the wrong players. Plus, business ethics are a big thing for me. Especially since 2005, I haven't ever felt like the players were treated disrespectfully.

I certainly don't want to bring my feelings towards the Flyers over here. It would take a while for me to accurately explain everything. I like it here cause this is by far the most level headed place to talk about the Phillies. Every other forum is filled with ****** who are condemning the entire team and clogging posts with stupid internet memes.

I take enough abuse from my own family about switching, you know? AND, my mom's a penguins fan so I think I'm suffering enough

jml87 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:40 AM
  #718
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 30,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's funny that you jumped ship from the Flyers because of bad "management policies", but you still root for the Phillies who have a much longer history of being poorly managed. The Phillies from the mid-90's (post WS team) until about 2005 were one of the most dreadful franchises in sports, and notoriously cheap.
small market team =/ 4th largest media market . one of the dumber things ive ever heard.

Justified is online now  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:43 AM
  #719
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
small market team =/ 4th largest media market . one of the dumber things ive ever heard.
I was speaking to pre-2005. Do you really want to dispute that?

flyershockey is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:46 AM
  #720
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,866
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I was speaking to pre-2005. Do you really want to dispute that?
Yeah there really is no question that the Phillies of the 90s and early 00s were cheap and run like ****.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:55 AM
  #721
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah there really is no question that the Phillies of the 90s and early 00s were cheap and run like ****.
90s and early 00s?!?! Try late 80s too. The Phillies have been a poorly run team my entire life outside of the late 70s/up to say 1983, then Pat Gillick's tenure (although he made some clunker decisions too, in general much better) up until Ruben Amaro got hired. So we're looking at 8-9 years of the past almost 36?

This is without getting in to the terribleness that they've been since their founding. They go through brief patches of awesome, then their cheap ass owners bring it all crashing down. Late 1890s, early 1950s, late 70s/early 80s, one year in the 1990s, then the mid 2000s. That's the entirety of good Phillies baseball. No wonder my wife always ask why I still follow them. Of course, she's a Red Sox fan...

Stonehands77 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 11:41 AM
  #722
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,423
vCash: 500
The thing that sucks is the Phils aren't cheap now, but they're giving the big deals to the wrong people

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
  #723
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 30,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I was speaking to pre-2005. Do you really want to dispute that?
one of their owners (either Montgomerey or Giles) in the 90's was quoted to saying the reason they didnt spend money was because they were a small market team. i wasnt disputing anything, I was just saying that the reason they gave for not spending was completely illogical.

Justified is online now  
Old
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
  #724
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,866
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
90s and early 00s?!?! Try late 80s too. The Phillies have been a poorly run team my entire life outside of the late 70s/up to say 1983, then Pat Gillick's tenure (although he made some clunker decisions too, in general much better) up until Ruben Amaro got hired. So we're looking at 8-9 years of the past almost 36?

This is without getting in to the terribleness that they've been since their founding. They go through brief patches of awesome, then their cheap ass owners bring it all crashing down. Late 1890s, early 1950s, late 70s/early 80s, one year in the 1990s, then the mid 2000s. That's the entirety of good Phillies baseball. No wonder my wife always ask why I still follow them. Of course, she's a Red Sox fan...
I wasn't saying they were run well prior to those dates, but the original post was talking about 90s-00s, so I responded in kind. They've been pretty miserable for their entire existence with the exception of a couple "golden eras" of mild success.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 12:59 PM
  #725
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
one of their owners (either Montgomerey or Giles) in the 90's was quoted to saying the reason they didnt spend money was because they were a small market team. i wasnt disputing anything, I was just saying that the reason they gave for not spending was completely illogical.
Oh ok, my bad then. Yeah, the late 90's Phillies were ridiculous in that sense. And as others have said, that's been the norm for how the team has operated for most of their existence. I love the team, and part of me enjoyed that era because of the hope of the future (who hated ten dollar tickets?), but they've been plagued by cheap/bad ownership/managment seemingly forever. Some of it gets masked by the fact that they've been able to squeeze in a 2-3 year competitive window every ten years or so.

flyershockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.