Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Let's compare. You have listed Eries above. Here again is
Saginaw's
2014: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd(NB), 4th(PBO), 4th(KGN), 8th, 9th, 10th
2015: 1st, 2nd(SAR), 2nd(PLY), 3rd, 3rd(KIT), 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th
2016: 1st, 2nd, 3rd(SAR), 3rd(PLY), 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 8th(WSR), 9th

And here is
Peterborough:
2014: 1st, 2nd(WSR), 2nd(KIT), 2nd(SAR), 4th(KIT), 4th(LDN), 5th, 6th, 6th(WSR), 6th(KIT), 8th, 9th, 10th
2015: 1st, 2nd, 2nd(NIA), 2nd(BEL), 4th, 4th(OSH), 5th, 6th, 6th(NB), 7th, 7th(LDN), 8th, 9th, 10th
2016: 1st, 2nd, 2nd(BEL), 2nd(KIT), 2nd(MIS), 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th
2017: all draft picks in order and no additions
2018: all draft picks plus 2nd(BEL) and 3rd(LDN)

Now I cheated a bit and added two years with Peterborough as some trades are actually involving these picks nowadays, but just shows you in 2018 they have acquired a 2nd and a 3rd.
Don't know about you, but to me it appears Peterborough has the BEST stockpile of draft picks, and if they don't create a mini-dynasty in the East somebody messed up!

You indicate that you don't expect Erie to use their draft picks extensively this year....which might indicate why Erie stinks so bad. You have some decent talent on the team along with one of the league's best players, why wouldn't you make moves and acquire older good talent to surround the talent you have so that they can be competitive now? Why wait until McDavis is 18 or later....cuz he aint going to be in the league as a 19year old so you need to cash in on his talent while he is still there no?
Or is the plan to trade him to London for lots of riches and make it a continual rebuilding process
Didnt know about Peterborough, I agree what they have is definitely better, but Erie's is up there. I said I dont expect them to use their stockpile extensively this season. A lot of youth/inexperience on this team right now, and it seems 2014/2015 is shaping up to be the championship run season, as it is McDavid's and Strome's draft year. Why be an aggressive buyer this season when we have some pieces still needing to be developed for a year? We should definitely make a trade or two to be more competitive this season but I dont think we should be an all-out buyer.

EDIT: If we were in the East, I'd say go for it, empty the cupboards and make a run at it (if Burakovsky signs) because winning the conference would likely get you to the Memorial Cup, as I'm expecting London to win the west. But its different being in the West. It would be a mistake to be over-aggressive and use up those picks, when there is a good chance we still may not even get past London.

Last edited by ErieOttersNews: 07-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old
07-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Didnt know about Peterborough, I agree what they have is definitely better, but Erie's is up there. I said I dont expect them to use their stockpile extensively this season. A lot of youth/inexperience on this team right now, and it seems 2014/2015 is shaping up to be the championship run season, as it is McDavid's and Strome's draft year. Why be an aggressive buyer this season when we have some pieces still needing to be developed for a year? We should definitely make a trade or two to be more competitive this season but I dont think we should be an all-out buyer.

EDIT: If we were in the East, I'd say go for it, empty the cupboards and make a run at it (if Burakovsky signs) because winning the conference would likely get you to the Memorial Cup, as I'm expecting London to win the west. But its different being in the West. It would be a mistake to be over-aggressive and use up those picks, when there is a good chance we still may not even get past London.
Ya, I hear ya and thats a good point. Next year could be shaping up to be a good year. I'd still look to move some of the 2014 picks as those players most likely won't be 'impact' players on your squad next year. But then again, depends how high you are picking and if you get somebody like a Domi or Horvat. They were productive in their first years.
Trades during a host year for the league are always interesting. This year will be no different. Going to be some expensive price tags especially for the Eastern buyers.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:47 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Ya, I hear ya and thats a good point. Next year could be shaping up to be a good year. I'd still look to move some of the 2014 picks as those players most likely won't be 'impact' players on your squad next year. But then again, depends how high you are picking and if you get somebody like a Domi or Horvat. They were productive in their first years.
Trades during a host year for the league are always interesting. This year will be no different. Going to be some expensive price tags especially for the Eastern buyers.
Yeah, I could see Bassin maybe moving one or two of those 2nd rounders. Could pick up some good help on defense, and since things are a bit of a logjam behind London and Saginaw, could push us up pretty high in the standings. Will be a very interesting year for trades indeed. I'm not really sure who I see as the favorite coming out of the East. I like Kingstons roster but I'm not sure about their goaltending. Sudbury could be good too.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:46 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Does Bill Montague read these boards and TheNoof? Check out his latest video, he basically talks about the same thing and how he riled up some Knights fans.

This, by the way, also surprisingly sparked a reply from Dale in the LFP.

Bill probably has an account here

Do players and coaches also check out these forums?
Bill can hardly talk and form complete sentences and you want us to believe he can read. But yes they do read it...players, coaches and others within the organizations..some even go so far as to hunt you down on FaceBook if you say something they feel is a slight against them.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Snippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Bill can hardly talk and form complete sentences and you want us to believe he can read. But yes they do read it...players, coaches and others within the organizations..some even go so far as to hunt you down on FaceBook if you say something they feel is a slight against them.
Interesting. This is probably where most of the media gets their information and opinions

Old
07-27-2013, 06:01 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Does Bill Montague read these boards and TheNoof? Check out his latest video, he basically talks about the same thing and how he riled up some Knights fans.

This, by the way, also surprisingly sparked a reply from Dale in the LFP.

Bill probably has an account here

Do players and coaches also check out these forums?
I've met dozens of players, parents, and management over the years who have read this place and NOOF. I've even seen it first-hand.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Knight444

Agreed. There is no question that players, managers and agents alike read these boards (there are only so many of them so this is where they get a sense of the pulse of the hockey community).

It's a shame the NOOF has essentially become a forum for 30 or so consistent posters and a handful of others who chime in from time to time.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:19 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight444 View Post

It's a shame the NOOF has essentially become a forum for 30 or so consistent posters and a handful of others who chime in from time to time.
The NOOF has it's moments....it has definitely dropped in the quality of posters in the past 5 years. Way too segregated to really work well in my opinion.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:26 AM
GangGreen

Quote:
Yeah, I could see Bassin maybe moving one or two of those 2nd rounders. Could pick up some good help on defense, and since things are a bit of a logjam behind London and Saginaw, could push us up pretty high in the standings. Will be a very interesting year for trades indeed. I'm not really sure who I see as the favorite coming out of the East. I like Kingstons roster but I'm not sure about their goaltending. Sudbury could be good too.
The Otters have to develop a winning attitude in their organization. If Burakovsky reports, the Otters need to acquire a couple of veterans to lead the team. Much like London with Watson and McKegg 2 years ago, it helped show the youngsters how to win. They have the assets to repeat it next year. I think Dansk is going to have a solid bounce back year. I could see Erie finishing as high as 5th or 6th this year with the right moves. It's time to reward their fan's loyalty

Old
07-31-2013, 02:07 AM
12Gage09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Hey Londonians, any updates on the Knights being on the road to the Memorial Cup show?
It's "Londoners"... The show you are referring to that follows the Memorial Cup Host Team during the season is called "On The Edge" and I don't know if there are any updates but the season is still a while away. The 1st episode last year was November 23 and was on monthly. The shows Twitter account is @OnTheEdgeMC

Old
08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
tjziel

Could We Trade Jake Patterson for Assets??

I was thinking what trades we could make to help replenish our draft picks because unfortunately we only have one 2nd round pick in 2015. So assuming Liam Herbst is ready to go by training camp according to the LFP (http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/23/li...-training-camp), or at least by December, could we trade Patterson for assets?? I believe we could fetch 2 second round picks from a contending team like Guelph (Garret Sparks graduating to pro) or Windsor (believe it or not, I know their our rivals, but their not sure Pavelka is coming back) or Barrie (lol, crazy ironic ) Here are some of my reasons and my thinking of why we should consider trade Jake Patterson.
  1. He has experience winning an OHL Championship and participating at the Memorial Cup.
  2. Could turn those second round picks into currency to obtain a "Big Player" ie. Sean Monahan or Darnell Nurse.
  3. Would give Liam Herbst incredible experience by experiencing the Memorial Cup.
  4. We have an abundance of '94 born players who will be over-agers next year, including Jake Patterson, so why not trade him while his stock is up and while he's not an over-ager.

There are my reasons for possibly trading Jake Patterson. He's a great goalie and I have nothing against him, but like Mark Hunter, I like looking into the future..... Tell me what you guys think!!

Last edited by tjziel: 08-01-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
I was thinking what trades we could make to help replenish our draft picks because unfortunately we only have one 2nd round pick in 2015. So assuming Liam Herbst is ready to go by training camp according to the LFP (http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/23/li...-training-camp), or at least by December, could we trade Patterson for assets?? I believe we could fetch 2 second round picks from a contending team like Guelph (Garret Sparks graduating to pro) or Windsor (believe it or not, I know their our rivals, but their not sure Pavelka is coming back) or Barrie (lol, crazy ironic ) Here are some of my reasons and my thinking of why we should consider trade Jake Patterson.
  1. Has Experience Winning OHL Championship and participating at the Memorial Cup.
  2. Could turn those second round picks into currency to obtain a "Big Player" ie. Sean Monahan or Darnell Nurse.
  3. Would give Liam Herbst incredible experience by experiencing the Memorial Cup.
  4. We have an abundance of '94 born players who will be over-agers next year, including Jake Patterson, so why not trade him while his stock is up and while he's not an over-ager.

There are my reasons for possibly trading Jake Patterson. He's a great goalie and I have nothing against him, but like Mark Hunter, I like looking into the future..... Tell me what you guys think!!
Given all the surgeries and time away from the game this boy has endured, I think you are being overly optimistic to believe he will see any time in the OHL this season, never mind on a Memorial Cup hosting team.

Hope he manages to prove me wrong, but a year in Jr. B would be a more realistic scenario.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:58 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
  1. Has Experience Winning OHL Championship and participating at the Memorial Cup.

The thought process of trading patterson now for picks, while his stock is still high, then using those picks to pick up say, darnell nurse, is a pretty good idea. The only problem i see with that is I'm not sure how trusting you can be of Stolarz. Yes he got very worn down last season and started to falter late in the season. I have no doubt he will improve this season, but if Stolarz happens to falter again, or he gets hurt, are you really willing to start Herbst on a Memorial Cup team?

Old
08-01-2013, 11:10 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Given all the surgeries and time away from the game this boy has endured, I think you are being overly optimistic to believe he will see any time in the OHL this season, never mind on a Memorial Cup hosting team.

Hope he manages to prove me wrong, but a year in Jr. B would be a more realistic scenario.
Yeah that's a totally valid reason, I believe he should start in Jr. B this year and come Dec. or Jan. should have strong consideration for the backup role. Appreciate your input!!

Old
08-01-2013, 11:19 AM
tjziel

Quote:
The thought process of trading patterson now for picks, while his stock is still high, then using those picks to pick up say, darnell nurse, is a pretty good idea. The only problem i see with that is I'm not sure how trusting you can be of Stolarz. Yes he got very worn down last season and started to falter late in the season. I have no doubt he will improve this season, but if Stolarz happens to falter again, or he gets hurt, are you really willing to start Herbst on a Memorial Cup team?
Thanks, and you have a great point. My perspective is, this is also Liam Herbst's draft year and should get some OHL action in his draft (only deserving because of the surgeries he's endured and never gave up), so it would work hand in hand with trading Jake Patterson. Remember, Steve Mason in 2007, played 12 games in his draft year and still got picked as a NHL 3rd rounder. He would have been picked in the 1st round by Tampa Bay if he would have played more games. Also, I do trust Stolarz to be solid all season and in the playoffs. Even if Herbst were able to play 15-20 games, I expect that should be enough rest for Stolarz because he now knows how grueling the OHL schedule can be and is now prepared for it. Thanks for your input!

Old
08-01-2013, 07:41 PM
JL17

Draft year for goalies is very different from players. Liam Herbst IMO won't get a sniff from NHL teams this year. He'll have to go injury free for 2 years before IMO anybody gets interested in him. They'll be interest but they won't be looking past the surgeries very quickly. Herbst main focus is just playing hockey. Forget the Memorial Cup and Knights regular season, NHL draft he needs Jr B or C or D action doesn't matter where.

I don't think Barrie has much interest. Fotino's is there guy no questions there. There isn't much difference when it comes down to Jake and Fotino's. I may give the edge to Fotino's actually.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:47 PM
aresknights

No jr D in this area, but I know I could find him a spot on a C team .
Won't happen,'it'll be B is my guess.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
How is Herbst doing now? I think injuries aside, Herbst would have pushed for the #1 job last year similar to Alex Nedeljkovic. Herbst is so strong mentally. So cool in net. He gives his team so much confidence with the ease he has. Probably the best minor midget goalie I had seen in 10 years.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
No jr D in this area, but I know I could find him a spot on a C team .
Won't happen,'it'll be B is my guess.
The kid needs actions plain and simple.

Herbst maybe ready to some one ice action come training camp. He's progressed nicely according to the article in the paper.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
How is Herbst doing now? I think injuries aside, Herbst would have pushed for the #1 job last year similar to Alex Nedeljkovic. Herbst is so strong mentally. So cool in net. He gives his team so much confidence with the ease he has. Probably the best minor midget goalie I had seen in 10 years.
Yes, injuries aside he reminds me of Carey Price and more recently drafted who got a lot of praise this year, Zachary Fucale.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:21 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
The kid needs actions plain and simple.

Herbst maybe ready to some one ice action come training camp. He's progressed nicely according to the article in the paper.
You suggested ice time at B, C or D level. My point was there is no D, he could play C easy, but B is the place to start IMO.
Yes he needs PT, everyone sees that JL.

If he proves healthy and effective thru Dec ( from sept/oct) move Paterson and bring him up.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:02 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
You suggested ice time at B, C or D level. My point was there is no D, he could play C easy, but B is the place to start IMO.
Yes he needs PT, everyone sees that JL.

If he proves healthy and effective thru Dec ( from sept/oct) move Paterson and bring him up.
While I would be in favor of Herbst getting playing time sometime this season,to thrust a 17 year old rookie with no playoff experience into a back up role in a mem cup year
especially hosting is a recipe for disaster
Remember this past season going into the playoffs with zero playoff experience re goaltending,yes they won the league championship ,not because of their goaltending but in spite of it
The Mem cup tourney their last game not withstanding bored that out
If Stolarz assuming he wins the #1 job goes down with an injury prior to tourney u really want to go with an inexpeinced guy
No doubt in mind Mark Hunter will cover all his bases or really try hard to do so,and make sure he has experience at all positions
No sitting on his hands this coming year

Old
08-02-2013, 07:03 AM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

If Herbst is healthy and has the potential to be a very good goalie he could be used in a trade. He would be a much more attractive piece than anything else besides Marner. Or do you trade Patterson for half the return? Stolarz is probably untouchable. Rarely do teams trade guys that took so much convincing or other benefits to come play here.

Old
08-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Trade Patterson before Christmas or at the deadline to his hometown Sault Ste Marie as part of the package for Nurse, then you either have Herbst backing up a solid and confident Stolarz OR you acquire a veteran to balance out the playing time with Stolarz. As much as possible, you don't want to have to spend assets on a top notch goalie. That would all but guarantee you don't have enough to acquire Nurse, Monohan etc.

Old
08-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights4Cup View Post
If Herbst is healthy and has the potential to be a very good goalie he could be used in a trade. He would be a much more attractive piece than anything else besides Marner. Or do you trade Patterson for half the return? Stolarz is probably untouchable. Rarely do teams trade guys that took so much convincing or other benefits to come play here.
The article states the kid has been skating but has yet to go through the up and down movement's natural to a goalie.....the article was written on JULY 24th, meaning he has not even faced any shots. Sounds alot like he has simply been skating in a sweat suit without pads or having shots fired at him.

Again, good luck to him but to expect anything other than some action in tier II is getting waaaaaay ahead of yourselves.

Closed Thread