HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 05:10 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Sorry I was referring to the 2013 /14 season, which is suppose to be the break through year for your team. With all those D rookies, what at least 3 of them and a bunch of 17 year olds how is that gonna solve what happened to you last year. Hey maybe they are all Duncan Keith's or Chara's in waiting who know, but a very young D core it not the way to go.
Okay, if you're gonna post on here you gotta stop throwing around the terms "Keith's and Chara's". Everytime you post it's just dumb exaggerations and not what I said at all. It's reasonable to believe Pelech and McDowell will both improve, and Felker and Raddysh will probably be fine on the 3rd pairing. Dermott's jump from the OJHL to the OHL is not that big of a jump, he's not your usual rookie. And I anticipate us making at least one trade for a defenseman. Our defense only needs to be decent this year for us to make the playoffs, with the offense and goaltending we have.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:35 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Pelech drops out of Canada's World Junior Camp http://www.goerieblogs.com/sports/sh...medium=twitter

Old
07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

http://www.goerieblogs.com/sports/sh...medium=twitter

Lol what?

Old
07-30-2013, 06:10 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Wouldn't have guessed it, but good for him if it happens.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that today. But as aresknights said good for him

Old
07-30-2013, 07:14 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that today. But as aresknights said good for him
NYR must think they can mold Donnay into something. 6-7 185, is extremely thin. He should be around 230. Maybe they hope this happens and he maintains some mobility. Keep it simple like Hal Gill ..use your reach and focus on having a good stick and NEVER make an outlet pass.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:48 AM
NeutralityEleven

vCash: 833
Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
NYR must think they can mold Donnay into something. 6-7 185, is extremely thin. He should be around 230. Maybe they hope this happens and he maintains some mobility. Keep it simple like Hal Gill ..use your reach and focus on having a good stick and NEVER make an outlet pass.
I don't think any other team is going to suddenly swoop in and sign Donnay outside of the Rangers, but why waste a contract spot on a really, really, super crazy long term project? The guys a string bean, doesn't compete, regressed as the season went on...I just don't get it and hope it's just fabricated nonsense (though VF has good info, not blaming him.)

The Rangers could just wait a year and offer him an AHL contract and let him earn it. Can't wait until he's playing center as the next Brian Boyle. I can just see it now, Crisp-Donnay-Harper as the "shutdown" line...no, not the 3rd line with good defensive instincts, the guys who shut it down when the going gets tough.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:28 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

According to capgeek.com, it's official Troy Donnay has signed with the Rangers. 3 Year ELC with an annual cap hit of $716,667.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:55 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
According to capgeek.com, it's official Troy Donnay has signed with the Rangers. 3 Year ELC with an annual cap hit of $716,667.
Bottom line this is good for the Otters. Donnay will probably push himself more than ever to take the net step in his development, that will only help the Otters. The incentive of that pro contract is huge.

Old
07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Bottom line this is good for the Otters. Donnay will probably push himself more than ever to take the net step in his development, that will only help the Otters. The incentive of that pro contract is huge.
Agree, I have to say because of his height he has potential, very raw potential. Hopefully he has put weight on in the offseason, and improves his first pass out of the zone.

Last edited by ErieOttersNews: 07-31-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Agree, I have to say because of his height he has potential, very raw potential. Hopefully he has put weight in the offseason, and improves his first pass out of the zone.
my guess is they liked what they saw at camp and the traverse city tourny.
good for the kid lets hope he learns that this is just the first step and the real work is yet to be done. too many get the contracts and think they can coast for the season in jrs .... better to put in the effort now and make the transition that much easier .

Old
08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Otters hired a full-time goalie coach yesterday, completing our staff. I like all these new hirings. Hopefully the younger coaches, and more of them, will be an improvement over the only two coaches we had going into last season.

Still waiting on Burakovsky news. Hopefully it comes soon.

Training camp opens up in 25 days!

Old
08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
aresknights

Do nays older brother had some size too him. Maybe the kid finally fills out a bit. Hard to put on weight when that tall.

Old
08-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Hockey Dad 1

Hard to understand how Liggett gets overlooked great skater and will likely be 6'5,not many kids will get this height and be able to skate like him I know this kid and he is just coming into his own
Quote:
Good point.

Erie should call Tristan Liggett's agent tomorrow morning. Sit on the piece of land and cash in Year 2. Invest little, risk little, reward potentially big. I think he should have been 3-5th round guy. Liggett being undrafted, still rattles me. U watch SSM or London will scoop him up. Those teams do there homework.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:02 PM
OHLFan8771

I like everyone am shocked Donnay got a contract but that is good for him. To be honest I did not see him on the team this up coming season but maybe he has made some improvements over the off season.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:42 PM
mapleleaf979

Not alot seems to be expected from Justin Felker this year. Last year must have been tough to endure. Pretty scary to see a young man with a neck brace on. Sounds like everything is good to go now. I think he has potential to really surprise a few, given some of those skills he possesses. What he went through last year, its really hard not to pull for him. It will be interesting to monitor if Fear has entered into his game. I hope not, cant say Id blame him if he has to work through that. I just like the raw potential.

Alot of people have kind of given up on Harper. I think the slate is wiped clean going into the season. I think he is paired with Strome to start the year and given an opportunity in the Top 6. Monitor his success and go from there. He has talent, he had a down year. It appears he doesnt mesh well with Mcdavid. Strome is another extremely smart playmaker with a different game. Chemistry could be there, u never know. People are not expecting a bounce back year, Im not sure. Focus may be an issue. Of course there is questions. Hockey is a fascinating, unpredictable sport.

Hodgson is another player that I just like his work ethic in general. I thought he had a strong year and will take a step this year.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:56 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Not alot seems to be expected from Justin Felker this year. Last year must have been tough to endure. Pretty scary to see a young man with a neck brace on. Sounds like everything is good to go now. I think he has potential to really surprise a few, given some of those skills he possesses. What he went through last year, its really hard not to pull for him. It will be interesting to monitor if Fear has entered into his game. I hope not, cant say Id blame him if he has to work through that. I just like the raw potential.

Alot of people have kind of given up on Harper. I think the slate is wiped clean going into the season. I think he is paired with Strome to start the year and given an opportunity in the Top 6. Monitor his success and go from there. He has talent, he had a down year. It appears he doesnt mesh well with Mcdavid. Strome is another extremely smart playmaker with a different game. Chemistry could be there, u never know. People are not expecting a bounce back year, Im not sure. Focus may be an issue. Of course there is questions. Hockey is a fascinating, unpredictable sport.

Hodgson is another player that I just like his work ethic in general. I thought he had a strong year and will take a step this year.
I think Harper is possibly dealt this month before training camps open. Just a gut feeling.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I think Harper is possibly dealt this month before training camps open. Just a gut feeling.
Ehh i dont know about that. Harper had a disappointing season no doubt but Bassin had some pretty positive comments on him and seems he isnt going to give up on Harper. Harper has the talent and physical tools to be a successful player, I'm not really sure what his issue was last season. We were all very high on him after his solid rookie season. I understand that for us to pick up this "high end D" we are chasing we are going to give up something of value in return, but I dont think it's going to be Harper.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:54 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Ehh i dont know about that. Harper had a disappointing season no doubt but Bassin had some pretty positive comments on him and seems he isnt going to give up on Harper. Harper has the talent and physical tools to be a successful player, I'm not really sure what his issue was last season. We were all very high on him after his solid rookie season. I understand that for us to pick up this "high end D" we are chasing we are going to give up something of value in return, but I dont think it's going to be Harper.
Maybe it was the so called "sophomore slump" .. Petes had same issue this year with Nosad. Anyways hopefully he finds his game, I would love to see the Otters make a real run at things atleast once when McDavid is there.

Old
08-01-2013, 11:15 PM
NeutralityEleven

vCash: 833
Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
Quote:
It's absolutely going to be Harper. You can't get a #1 defenseman in a trade for guys like Cairns, Evans, Betz, Wood, etc etc etc. He's traded a similar forward who didn't pan out before for a big upgrade in David Broll. I think that trade was something like Thompson for Broll, 3rd, 4th and they swapped import picks...different position but that's the kind of deal it is going to take.

For comparisons sake:

High end trades:

Slater Koekkoek for Michael Clarke and two 2nd's.

Ceci plus Janes and a 3rd for for Middleton and Blandisi.

Solid, respectable defenseman:

Cardwell for 2nd, 3rd, 5th

Beukeboom for 2nd, 4th, 6th

Chiarlitti for 2nd, 5th, 10th

Curcuruto for Dempsey and Mascarin

So, the going rate for a #1 defenseman is at least one top two round projectable player with at least two years of service time remaining. Guys who qualify include Harper and Crisp, and with his recent draft selection and the teams affinity for him, I'd imagine Crisp is staying put.

Harper goes for a #1 guy, or they go out and get someone a tier under that and package one of the expendables with a bunch of picks. The good news for the Otters is a guy from the "solid" category instantly becomes a #1 type, not necessarily on skill but necessity. Sitting on a pile of picks and some forward depth once they formally announce Burakovsky's signing, this one should be a slam dunk.

Last edited by NeutralityEleven: 08-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Ottersfan1

Crisp and Cairns will be dealt for sure. 50:50 on Harper, he is working very hard this offseason and his attitude seems to have turned around since being passed over in the draft. I think Bassin might give him another chance. Burakovsky is coming to Erie.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan11 View Post
Crisp and Cairns will be dealt for sure. 50:50 on Harper, he is working very hard this offseason and his attitude seems to have turned around since being passed over in the draft. I think Bassin might give him another chance. Burakovsky is coming to Erie.
You think Crisp AND Cairns are both being dealt? Interesting. I still dont think Harper is getting dealt no matter what. And do you have some sort of source on Burakovsky, or that just a gut feeling call. I'm getting pretty anxious to hear some news about Andre.

Old
08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Ottersfan1

From a source. I'm pretty anxious myself.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Otters Fan

I think it will be Harper. Everything I hear about Crisp is he's one of the hardest working kids on the team. I think when Bassin made the comment last season about kids not giving it there all he was referencing Harper. Harper looked very disinterested all of last season.
I could be totally wrong just my two cents

Old
08-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Crisp has asked for a trade the past 2 years back to ontario so his dad can watch him more....

Closed Thread