HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
  #801
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Bad-decent prospects are hard to come by nowadays.

Serious q though, if a guy is a bad prospect, is he still a prospect? Prospect hints that there is at least a fraction of a chance at becoming a decent player.
I would say most people would consider someone with a contract in the organization that is under 25 would probably be considered a prospect, even if the "prospect" of them amounting to something is slim to nil.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
  #802
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
I'm trying to figure out some of these signings this summer. Some of these contracts seem ridiculous. Pavelski and Clarkson at 6 million, Filpula at 5 million - these are all players that average at or under .5 points per game. I understand they bring more than just points, but it seems a lot for what they bring. Especially with the Cap decreasing, I expected smaller salaries.

Is this a surprise, or was this expected?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:28 PM
  #803
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I'm trying to figure out some of these signings this summer. Some of these contracts seem ridiculous. Pavelski and Clarkson at 6 million, Filpula at 5 million - these are all players that average at or under .5 points per game. I understand they bring more than just points, but it seems a lot for what they bring. Especially with the Cap decreasing, I expected smaller salaries.

Is this a surprise, or was this expected?
I'm pretty surprised at a lot of them. The ramifications of the contract limits were clear, but a few of these contracts aren't too high because they couldn't circumvent with length.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:03 PM
  #804
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm pretty surprised at a lot of them. The ramifications of the contract limits were clear, but a few of these contracts aren't too high because they couldn't circumvent with length.
I was surprised at some of the deals, but the cap is going to shoot up a lot the next couple of years which will soften the blow.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:10 AM
  #805
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Bouwmeester extended in St. Louis for like 5.4 a year for 5 years.

I'd have bet good money he was walking.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:33 AM
  #806
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Bouwmeester extended in St. Louis for like 5.4 a year for 5 years.

I'd have bet good money he was walking.
I can see why he would take a little less money to stay in St. Louis. He made a ton of money on his last deal, and now he gets to play next to one of the best young defensemen in the game in Pietrangelo. He's always struck me as a guy who prefers to be a secondary player with less pressure to carry a unit.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:36 AM
  #807
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Understood, but with this market? He might've gotten 7/yr. Still interesting to see him walk away from potentially like 20-30 additional mil

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:45 AM
  #808
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Bouwmeester extended in St. Louis for like 5.4 a year for 5 years.

I'd have bet good money he was walking.
Yeah that's pretty surprising. I figured he would was going to be a deadline deal kind of player if the Blues were out, or a guy they trade his rights for like a 3rd or something.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:05 AM
  #809
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Understood, but with this market? He might've gotten 7/yr. Still interesting to see him walk away from potentially like 20-30 additional mil
If I recal correctly, Bouwmeester has never been a huge money guy. I think I saw an interview with him where he was still driving around a beater truck even after he signed his big deal. Maybe he's a guy who just wants some stability and he likes playing in St. Louis? If he walked, it would be his second move to a new city in less than one calender year. Some guys just aren't willing to do that to chase some extra money. Besides that, staying in St. Louis gives him one of the best chances in the NHL to win a cup. They're a fantastic team that might be just one more offensive threat away from being the most complete team in the NHL. I still think they should get rid of Hitchcock, but that's something on a whole different level.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 09:24 AM
  #810
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
All valid points, but he's definitely the except and not the rule in sports.

BTW, did anybody see that Minnesota Wild supposedly lost 30M last year.

Maybe they shouldn't have signed two players to two of the biggest deals in NHL history.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:10 AM
  #811
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
All valid points, but he's definitely the except and not the rule in sports.

BTW, did anybody see that Minnesota Wild supposedly lost 30M last year.

Maybe they shouldn't have signed two players to two of the biggest deals in NHL history.
Damn, I thought Minny was a great hockey market. Is $30M just because of high salaries or is the team just not drawing the fans?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:14 AM
  #812
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Damn, I thought Minny was a great hockey market. Is $30M just because of high salaries or is the team just not drawing the fans?
It was like a tweet, not a lot of info.

here is the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...155615565.html

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
  #813
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
It was like a tweet, not a lot of info.

here is the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...155615565.html
So it sounds like it was probably a little of the lockout and a little of Parise-Suter. That makes sense and really isn't as shocking as I first thought.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:14 PM
  #814
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Linus Omark is apparently close to an NHL return. Doubt it's with the Flyers but it could be Homers "out there" signing.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:51 PM
  #815
A Clerk
Schennergy
 
A Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vilnius
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Linus Omark is apparently close to an NHL return. Doubt it's with the Flyers but it could be Homers "out there" signing.
has there been speculation of another signing? or are you saying this because he has yet to have an out there signing this offseason

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:00 PM
  #816
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Linus Omark is apparently close to an NHL return. Doubt it's with the Flyers but it could be Homers "out there" signing.
Meh, I don't see it. He was pretty underwhelming in EDM and I don't think he was ever expected to do much more than he did IIRC.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #817
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh, I don't see it. He was pretty underwhelming in EDM and I don't think he was ever expected to do much more than he did IIRC.
He would help our shootout numbers though.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:09 PM
  #818
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,460
vCash: 500
Being worst in the league at shootouts really bothers me.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:43 PM
  #819
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I'm trying to figure out some of these signings this summer. Some of these contracts seem ridiculous. Pavelski and Clarkson at 6 million, Filpula at 5 million - these are all players that average at or under .5 points per game.
Pavelski has 336 points in 479 NHL games for an average of 0.70 points a game, and he's produced at 0.77 PPG for the last three seasons.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470794

He's way above the 0.5 figure, even if you wanted to ignore his defense and penalty killing.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 07:21 PM
  #820
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,989
vCash: 500
Reading the M. Richards to TOR thread on the trade board got me thinking about the original Toronto offer that Holmgren apparently turned down in favor of LA's offer. Had Holmgren taken the alleged Toronto deal (Kadri+Kulemin+2nd) , Richards would have likely flopped in Toronto, and Kadri would have likely broken out in Philly. The main boards would have loved the shrewdness of Holmgren and praised him for dealing Richards when his value was high.

But as it stands, Simmonds+Schenn+2nd has turned into a much better package than Kadri+Kulemin+2nd would have been, but he gets brutalized because LA happened to win the Cup with Richards on the team.

Just funny to think about how the perception of the trade would have been in Holmgren's favor had he accepted a lesser deal than the one he took. No logic on the main boards.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  #821
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
has there been speculation of another signing? or are you saying this because he has yet to have an out there signing this offseason
There was a rumor that Omark was close to an NHL team but the Flyers weren't mentioned. That was simply my speculation.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 07:42 PM
  #822
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Reading the M. Richards to TOR thread on the trade board got me thinking about the original Toronto offer that Holmgren apparently turned down in favor of LA's offer. Had Holmgren taken the alleged Toronto deal (Kadri+Kulemin+2nd) , Richards would have likely flopped in Toronto, and Kadri would have likely broken out in Philly. The main boards would have loved the shrewdness of Holmgren and praised him for dealing Richards when his value was high.

But as it stands, Simmonds+Schenn+2nd has turned into a much better package than Kadri+Kulemin+2nd would have been, but he gets brutalized because LA happened to win the Cup with Richards on the team.

Just funny to think about how the perception of the trade would have been in Holmgren's favor had he accepted a lesser deal than the one he took. No logic on the main boards.
Homer was praised as a genius for a short time during that season for those moves up until the Kings won.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 07:48 PM
  #823
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Reading the M. Richards to TOR thread on the trade board got me thinking about the original Toronto offer that Holmgren apparently turned down in favor of LA's offer. Had Holmgren taken the alleged Toronto deal (Kadri+Kulemin+2nd) , Richards would have likely flopped in Toronto, and Kadri would have likely broken out in Philly. The main boards would have loved the shrewdness of Holmgren and praised him for dealing Richards when his value was high.

But as it stands, Simmonds+Schenn+2nd has turned into a much better package than Kadri+Kulemin+2nd would have been, but he gets brutalized because LA happened to win the Cup with Richards on the team.

Just funny to think about how the perception of the trade would have been in Holmgren's favor had he accepted a lesser deal than the one he took. No logic on the main boards.
Don't forget how Homer is an idiot for trading Carter to LA as well. Boy, I'm sure LA misses Voracek on their wing right now.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:08 PM
  #824
UKFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Homer was praised as a genius for a short time during that season for those moves up until the Kings won.
Remember some calling for him to get GM of the Year. He just happens to be one of the main board's current favourites to get the hate. This has basically spilled over from a lot of fanbases being ******** about the Weber OS a long with a few other things. I'm not Homer's biggest fan, but he's done okay over the past year or so. All the things that they said he'd do (make a splash at the deadline, trade away Schenn or Couts, make a dumb move at the draft, sign Emery to a ridiculous) he hasn't done. As soon as the next GM makes a stupid move or does something they don't like, he'll get singled out. Just the way it goes.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
  #825
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,460
vCash: 500
I don't see why Richards would have flopped anywhere. He's a very good player.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.