HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Habs Board Prospect Rankings Final Results

Old
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
for sure. as much as I really like our prospect pool, it kinda sucks that for so many of them we have to add, 'if he can get faster and add 15 lbs of muscle'. Mind you if they already had those things we probably woudn't have been able to draft most of them so there you go.

The fact that Lehkonen is damn near 6 feet, makes me confident he'll add enough muscle to his frame.
well it's to be expected, since 18/19/20 year olds are usually always going to have a few issues that they need to work on. For me it's more of the lack of high end skill that really hurts, granted when you lose Gally and Gallagher to the NHL it hurts the prospect pool but you just hope that they restock at the draft.

Lehkonen being near 6 feet wouldn't have any impact on adding muscle to his frame. I look at their frame and how it projects to adding mass/strength. Look at Leblanc, he's 6'0 but has a frame that doesn't project well to add mass/strength imo

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:10 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Bozon, Thrower and Dietz are all way too low on those rankings. One could make an argument about Pateryn too...

HiggsBozon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I feel like at some point we'll be slapping ourselves for having Ellis so low.

I don't think Beaulieu or Collberg will turn out quite as good as their rankings here. Thomas probably shouldn't be in the top ten IMO. On the other side, Bozon, Lehkonen and Dietz (and Ellis obviously) are too low.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Lacks an elite prospect, but mentally I just put Galchenyuk at the top.

Seriously though, we have 7 B+ prospects by my count, and a few high upside guys after that.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I feel like at some point we'll be slapping ourselves for having Ellis so low.
What did you think of his play in Hamilton this year?

Old
07-30-2013, 11:14 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What did you think of his play in Hamilton this year?
Keeping in mind that I only watched the Dogs until roughly when the NHL came back, I thought he did well in a bad situation. He's extremely raw and I think we'll have to take our time with him but I could see him turning into a solid NHLer very easily.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Keeping in mind that I only watched the Dogs until roughly when the NHL came back, I thought he did well in a bad situation. He's extremely raw and I think we'll have to take our time with him but I could see him turning into a solid NHLer very easily.
I thought he really struggled with the pace, his skating needs to be improved. For me i'll need to see how much he can progress after last season, was a big disappointment for me as I didn't think he would be so badly outplayed by Pateryn who ended up being the big suprise for me as he looked way better. Meaning the ice time that Pateryn got, I thought Ellis would get over him. I'm not sure he'll make my top 20 at this point as I wasn't impressed with what I saw last year.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I thought he really struggled with the pace, his skating needs to be improved. For me i'll need to see how much he can progress after last season, was a big disappointment for me as I didn't think he would be so badly outplayed by Pateryn who ended up being the big suprise for me as he looked way better. Meaning the ice time that Pateryn got, I thought Ellis would get over him. I'm not sure he'll make my top 20 at this point as I wasn't impressed with what I saw last year.
Interesting because although I think Pateryn is probably ahead of him at their current level, I don't see much of an NHLer in him. I think Ellis has a lot more tools than Pateryn does and eventually will end up the better player.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Interesting because although I think Pateryn is probably ahead of him at their current level, I don't see much of an NHLer in him. I think Ellis has a lot more tools than Pateryn does and eventually will end up the better player.
I find Pateryn and Ellis to be very similar, just that Pateryn showed a lot more in the offensive zone as he impressed with his play in the O zone as it was something I wasn't expecting from him and was expecting from Ellis as his big year in the Q. I'll be keeping a close eye on Ellis next season, and hopefully Pateryn can build off last season as he was playing his best hockey before his call up imo.

Old
08-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Dagistitsyn

Can someone give me some insight to Pateryn's game?

Comparable too?

Don't know much about him but I've read numerous times on here that people think he has a chance to make the team out of camp this year.. I just don't see it happening personally, with Drew around.

He didn't show much in his 3 games this past year.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
I have a feeling that one year later, we will be look at this list and laughing at how low Didier is. Just a gut feeling.
It's not really anyone's fault. We just know more, (or think we know more) about certain prospects than others. Didier is a classic case of a guy you don't hear much about. Mark MacMillan kind of falls into that boat, too. I mean it sounded like Macmillan was really doing well with North Dakota this year, but there's only a handful of people on here who've seen him play live or on tv.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:27 AM
kingdok

Question concerning Mac Bennett. Last year he was barely in the top 20 on prospect ranking on HFBoards, now he's ranked 13. I admit I haven't seen him play but his number suggest he's just following his growth, posting better stats this year in Michigan, but also being a year older.

So how come, even though there was a rich infusion of prospects from this draft class, he finds himself gaining some ranks in the ranking?

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Can someone give me some insight to Pateryn's game?

Comparable too?

Don't know much about him but I've read numerous times on here that people think he has a chance to make the team out of camp this year.. I just don't see it happening personally, with Drew around.

He didn't show much in his 3 games this past year.
Pateryn has good size/strength and has a solid physical game. Is more known for his defensive zone play but in Hamilton he showed improved offensive game. Could stand to be quicker, improve his skating/mobility.

In order to make the Habs out of camp he would need to have a very strong camp. I'd be surprised to see it but more time in the AHL should be good for him. He made big strides over the last 2 years (his Senior year at Michigan and his rookie year in Hamilton) so it will be interesting to see if he can continue to progress or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
It's not really anyone's fault. We just know more, (or think we know more) about certain prospects than others. Didier is a classic case of a guy you don't hear much about. Mark MacMillan kind of falls into that boat, too. I mean it sounded like Macmillan was really doing well with North Dakota this year, but there's only a handful of people on here who've seen him play live or on tv.
agreed, I myself am always much more comfortable talking about the prospects that I get to see a lot vs ones I don't.

MacMillan showed decent improvement although he was bounced around the lineup constantly as the team struggled to find a 3rd for the Kristo/Knight duo. The coach at ND said he prefers MacMillan at center but with his lack of size/strength he might be more suited to the wing. It should be interesting to see where he slots next season now that the big guns are gone and he'll be an upperclassmen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
Question concerning Mac Bennett. Last year he was barely in the top 20 on prospect ranking on HFBoards, now he's ranked 13. I admit I haven't seen him play but his number suggest he's just following his growth, posting better stats this year in Michigan, but also being a year older.

So how come, even though there was a rich infusion of prospects from this draft class, he finds himself gaining some ranks in the ranking?
I don't pay much attention to the board rankings since having so many chef's in the kitchen can distort things. That said, Bennett should have been higher then the back end of the top 20 as he has a number of interesting qualities. His game is based on his great mobility, skating and smarts, the down side is that he lacks strength and mass in the past but has been able to bulk up some from what i've heard. Bennett is good at both ends of the ice, he's smart and hard working, he knows where to be on the ice and is really good at getting the puck up ice in a hurry either by skating it out quickly or crisp passes. The concern will be his lack of physical game and physical abilities but we'll see how he adjusts to the AHL in 2014-2015.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:33 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Still disappointed at the position you gave to Lehkonen.

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Still disappointed at the position you gave to Lehkonen.
oh come on these rankings mean nothing.

No one's really seen him play plus he has a history of concussion issues and does have the whole 160 lbs thing going against him. Plus he was just drafted.

He could very well turn into our best forward prospect but he has question marks.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:05 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
oh come on these rankings mean nothing.

No one's really seen him play plus he has a history of concussion issues and does have the whole 160 lbs thing going against him. Plus he was just drafted.

He could very well turn into our best forward prospect but he has question marks.
That the same logic why you put Nygren behind Ian Schultz and Archambault last year. We should call this the popularity prospect poll instead.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:16 PM
That

Quote:
That the same logic why you put Nygren behind Ian Schultz and Archambault last year. We should call this the popularity prospect poll instead.
That's called hindsight. Sure, it looks stupid now, but a lot can change in a year.

You have to remember the context at the time. Nygren was considered an offensive defenceman, with zero defensive game, and managed to put a staggering 18 points in 50 games. Schultz filled a massive need as a fighter and put up a solid 23 points in 60 games as goon in the AHL as goon. Archambault had a disappointing year, but I'm sure his solid preseason (IIRC) and very evident skill level made people vote for him. Plus, you know, they were ranked between 29 and 31, pretty much any prospect list is a crapshoot, especially when you get that low.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:25 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
That's called hindsight. Sure, it looks stupid now, but a lot can change in a year.

You have to remember the context at the time. Nygren was considered an offensive defenceman, with zero defensive game, and managed to put a staggering 18 points in 50 games. Schultz filled a massive need as a fighter and put up a solid 23 points in 60 games as goon in the AHL as goon. Archambault had a disappointing year, but I'm sure his solid preseason (IIRC) and very evident skill level made people vote for him. Plus, you know, they were ranked between 29 and 31, pretty much any prospect list is a crapshoot, especially when you get that low.
All you just said is just pointless; Archambault and Schultz aren't even close to be a SHL players caliber. Solely base on that fact, Nygren was a way better prospect.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:31 PM
That

Quote:
All you just said is just pointless; Archambault and Schultz aren't even close to be a SHL players caliber. Solely base on that fact, Nygren was a way better prospect.
So you think that all junior prospects are worse prospects than ones who play in pro, regardless of other factors like skill level? Because that's essentially your argument.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
So you think that all junior prospects are worse prospects than ones who play in pro, regardless of other factors like skill level? Because that's essentially your argument.
No, this isn't what I said. I said that prospects who will not likely be good enough to be SHL caliber are worse than prospects who are already in the SHL.

Don't try to explain to me why you were right to be wrong on Nygren; that's what dump people do, smart people just admit their mistakes.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:48 PM
That

Quote:
No, this isn't what I said. I said that prospects who will not likely be good enough to play in the SHL are worse than prospects who are already in the SHL.

Don't try to explain to me why you were right to be wrong on Nygren; that's what dump people do, smart people just admit their mistakes.
That's such flawed logic considering thinking a player can play in the SHL is a) subjective and you have no way of knowing if that player can or cannot, and b) ignoring external factors like how will a player adjust to the different style of game on the larger surface.

As for your second point, see my join date--I wasn't even on the boards at the time of the vote. I fail to see how I'm trying to explain to you why I was "right to be wrong," considering I'm not talking about what I said, but rather providing context to why Archambault and Schultz might be voted ahead of Nygren at the time by others.

Hindsight is a funny thing, ain't it?

Old
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
That's such flawed logic considering thinking a player can play in the SHL is a) subjective and you have no way of knowing if that player can or cannot, and b) ignoring external factors like how will a player adjust to the different style of game on the larger surface.
a) Yes obviously, this poll is 100% subjective; I have no choice in giving you a purely subjective view on why Nygren should be in front Archambault and Schultz. If not this poll and this conversation wouldn't exist.
b) You right, but... What is the weight of this factor... Seriously, does Collberg lost or gained a place because of this..?

Quote:
As for your second point, see my join date--I wasn't even on the boards at the time of the vote. I fail to see how I'm trying to explain to you why I was "right to be wrong," considering I'm not talking about what I said, but rather providing context to why Archambault and Schultz might be voted ahead of Nygren at the time by others.

Hindsight is a funny thing, ain't it?
Great, but I don't care if you voted or not, that doesn't change anything to what I or you just said.

Don't try to explain to me why "they" were right to be wrong on Nygren; that's what dump people do... Happy?

Last edited by HabsProspectsExpert: 10-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
10-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Exactly.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote