HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2013, 04:03 PM
  #776
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,895
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This version has no basis in fact whatsoever. The media? Jeez...

It was only when BALCO happened, and Congress got involved and threatened MLB's anti-trust reserve, that both MLB and the MLBPA got a little serious about drug testing.
BALCO wasn't BALCO unless some investigative journalists did their homework and the media decided it was worth paying attention to. ESPN dictates the national sports discussion. Why did Congress decide to get involved? Because the press had whipped itself into a frenzy and the politicians smelled an opportunity. None of this happens unless the media drives the story.

Without the press deciding this was the scandal du jour, there's no congressional inquiry. There's no Mitchell Report. No one cares about what Jose Canseco says. Everything gets swept under the rug.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  #777
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
BALCO wasn't BALCO unless some investigative journalists did their homework and the media decided it was worth paying attention to. ESPN dictates the national sports discussion. Why did Congress decide to get involved? Because the press had whipped itself into a frenzy and the politicians smelled an opportunity. None of this happens unless the media drives the story.

Without the press deciding this was the scandal du jour, there's no congressional inquiry. There's no Mitchell Report. No one cares about what Jose Canseco says. Everything gets swept under the rug.
Certainly respect your opinion, and what you say about the media does have some basis in fact...but the bottom line is that regardless what the media does, without Congress getting involved, the MLBPA is still fighting tooth and nail over any testing at all based on their 'invasion of privacy' mantra.

That's what the media would be reporting.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 04:15 PM
  #778
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
BALCO wasn't BALCO unless some investigative journalists did their homework and the media decided it was worth paying attention to. ESPN dictates the national sports discussion. Why did Congress decide to get involved? Because the press had whipped itself into a frenzy and the politicians smelled an opportunity. None of this happens unless the media drives the story.

Without the press deciding this was the scandal du jour, there's no congressional inquiry. There's no Mitchell Report. No one cares about what Jose Canseco says. Everything gets swept under the rug.
I think you'll find a ton of people saying thats the media doing their jobs.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 04:28 PM
  #779
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,895
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Certainly respect your opinion, and what you say about the media does have some basis in fact...but the bottom line is that regardless what the media does, without Congress getting involved, the MLBPA is still fighting tooth and nail over any testing at all based on their 'invasion of privacy' mantra.

That's what the media would be reporting.
I don't disagree.

Americans love a good moral outrage. We also love tearing people down. Two guys in San Francisco get a scoop that was hiding in broad daylight, and that's the cue for talking heads on ESPN and the syndicated schmucks to start feigning stunned indignation.

Steroids in sports was not news, but everyone saw the opportunity to turn it into their own big story. Then Congressmen get their attention boner, the PA realizes **** is hitting the fan, the League freaks when they here antitrust, etc. The story could have been written a decade earlier if the press wanted. That would have required original thought and hard work, though.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 04:38 PM
  #780
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,895
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you'll find a ton of people saying thats the media doing their jobs.
My point is that the media (and to an extent, the public) were wilfully ignorant of the story for far too long. Far too long to have any legitimate claim to the moral outrage they displayed in the aftermath.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 06:56 PM
  #781
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,705
vCash: 500
Ha, Arod hit an absolute bomb in Trenton tonight.

17futurecap is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 07:15 PM
  #782
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
That's Biogeneisis for ya.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:04 PM
  #783
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
So now, apparently, the MLB players association is backing Arod with being entitled to an appeal.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:48 PM
  #784
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Peter Botte @PeterBotte

ARod:"When all this stuff is going on in the background & people are finding creative ways to cancel your contract, that's concerning for me

whatever.


Peter Botte @PeterBotte

AROD added there are "entities" being "creative" to conspire to keep him from playing again.

Sounds paranoid.


Peter Botte @PeterBotte

AROD:"I will say this, there’s more than 1 party that benefits from me never stepping back on field: that's not my teammates/not NYY fans'

You don't say....

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:53 PM
  #785
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
A-Rod is 100% correct and the Yankees don't deserve to get out of his contract. That spits in the face of the CBA and the face of every other MLB franchise with an albatross contract. Sorry guys, but I hope your front office has to deal with their awful decision like every other front office.

Speaking of awful, David Wright's hammy just gave out on him. If it's pulled he's out for a month~. In the midst of what could've been one of his best statistical seasons ever it's really disappointing to see and makes the Mets much less watchable (especially with the trading deadline passed.)+

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 09:56 PM
  #786
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Hating someone for using is silly, IMO. I understand why they did what they did. Everyone was content to turn a blind eye to it until the media decided they had a story and convinced us to be outraged. The self-righteous indignation is nauseating.

I have disdain for the users that repeatedly denied their involvement. You made a mistake, just own it. Ryan Braun. Rafael Palmeiro. Alex Rodriguez. Own it. Even then, I still get it. We're all human, and I won't hate anyone for lying.

All this sanctimonious ******** from the Commissioner's Office is the worst, though. Bud is just as much to "blame" for this than anyone. If any single person deserves to be the target of derision, it's him.
Bingo. I don't want to go through the rest of this discussion because I have to run somewhere, but I see you were discussing the media's involvement on this too. The media, IMO, handled this as awfully as they could. Instead of focusing on the ramifications of roiders creating an unfair workplace and fundamental moral dilemma for non-juicers, they focus on how the steroid users are "liars" and "cheaters" and "immoral" and all of this other ****ing nonsense.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:00 PM
  #787
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
A-Rod is 100% correct and the Yankees don't deserve to get out of his contract. That spits in the face of the CBA and the face of every other MLB franchise with an albatross contract. Sorry guys, but I hope your front office has to deal with their awful decision like every other front office.

Well those are the rules. If a player is suspended teams don't pay. Why should it change because the Yankees benefit?
If they get out of it, that's pure luck.

The Yankees weren't the ones that gave him PEDS or injected him. Because of HIS stupidity the Yankees may get out of a bad contract. Sorry...

Even if they don't, they can still spend finally.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:02 PM
  #788
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,345
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Well those are the rules. If a player is suspended teams don't pay. Why should it change because the Yankees benefit?
If they get out of it, that's pure luck.

The Yankees weren't the ones that gave him PEDS or injected him. Because of HIS stupidity the Yankees may get out of a bad contract. Sorry...

Even if they don't, they can still spend finally.
Because of his stupidity AND the MLB severely bending the in place rules for steroid use just because they feel like it... should it ever hold up.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 10:20 PM
  #789
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Because of his stupidity AND the MLB severely bending the in place rules for steroid use just because they feel like it... should it ever hold up.
Yeah there's a 50 game first time rule. However, Arod didn't just take PEDS like the other players.
Word is, he recruited players, destroyed evidence, "intimidated witnesses" etc....

I do agree Selig seems to really be after him and is trying make an example out of him. Yet at the same time, Arod is giving him a reason to.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
08-02-2013, 11:14 PM
  #790
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
I think it's clear CC is not 100 percent, Yankees are going nowhere mine as well shut CC down and get him healthy for next season

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 12:01 AM
  #791
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Yep. DL CC, there is no way hes normal. No way.

And trade Joba. Spit on him and then get rid of him. I never liked this guy, and hes proven hes trash.

The Korean* is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 08:34 AM
  #792
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,895
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So now, apparently, the MLB players association is backing Arod with being entitled to an appeal.
Well he IS entit,led to appeal, and the MLBPA would basically be waving the white flag if they said guys don't have the right to appeal when they clearly do.

They've taken the position that they'd rather settle cases than take them through the arbitration process. They still have to represent their members, though, even if they don't like it.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 08:54 AM
  #793
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well he IS entit,led to appeal, and the MLBPA would basically be waving the white flag if they said guys don't have the right to appeal when they clearly do.

They've taken the position that they'd rather settle cases than take them through the arbitration process. They still have to represent their members, though, even if they don't like it.
yeah I know he is, but the reports were saying even the mlbpa were fed up with him and he had no support

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 09:00 AM
  #794
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
Alex Rodriguez suspension expected Sunday or*Monday, and his options are a lifetime ban or 200-game suspension

Rodriguez, who after Friday’s rehab start with the team’s Double-A club in Trenton implied that the Yankees were conspiring to keep him off the field, is expected to appeal the suspension if he is unable to reach a settlement with MLB, although it is also possible MLB could decide over the weekend to seek a stiffer penalty.

By*Teri Thompson*,*Bill MaddenAND*Michael O’keeffe*/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWSAlex Rodriguez should be wearing a look of concern as his suspension is likely coming Sunday or Monday and should keep him out of baseball for 2013 and ‘14.Alex Rodriguez*is expected to be suspended by Major League Baseball on Sunday or Monday, even if he continues to vow to fight his looming discipline, sources have told the Daily News.MLB officials plan on suspending Rodriguez for the remainder of 2013 and the entire 2014 season, a move that would effectively end the embattled Yankee superstar’s career

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 09:17 AM
  #795
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
He is delusional. He brought all of this upon himself. Yet trying to play the victim.

Talking about 'we need to get rid of PEDS'. Give me break.

Cashman should have saved that "s-t-f-u" for now.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 09:19 AM
  #796
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
either he's actually innocent, or hes a pathological liar incapable of telling the truth

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 09:21 AM
  #797
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
either he's actually innocent, or hes a pathological liar incapable of telling the truth
Based on history, I'd go with the latter.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 09:23 AM
  #798
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,895
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
yeah I know he is, but the reports were saying even the mlbpa were fed up with him and he had no support
Yeah, I'm sure they are. As a union rep, I know all too well what it's like to have to represent a member that's a true **** up. Almost all unions and associations in the US are subject to an obligation known as the duty of fair representation (DFR). Basically, you have to represent your member without discrimination, fairly and in good faith. So even if a guy is completely undeserving of representation, you have to do what you can for him. Otherwise, you open yourself up to a DFR claim an a lawsuit. And A-Rod is definitely the type of person to bring a billion-dollar DFR suit against the MLBPA.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 09:33 AM
  #799
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Based on history, I'd go with the latter.
pretty much.. There would have to be overwhelming evidence for me to believe he's innocent.. just too many insane behaviors

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-03-2013, 10:00 AM
  #800
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
This situation clearly sucks,* but the Yankees are just as much at fault unless you honestly believe that the Yankees had no clue on the possibility that Arod was taking PEDs at any point in his career.* The Yankees were out of his contract, he was gone, he opted out,Cashman warned them to let him go and H&H* and Levine brought him back, now they want out of his contract because he's not performing anymore, it's Giambi situation ask over again,* they backed Pettitte* because he was still performing* at the time..* The whole situation is a* horrible thing for the Yankees,* bronx zoo part II,* but please stop acting like the Yankees were innocent in all of this

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.