HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Kansas City at Philadelphia (Sept. 19, 8:25 p.m. ET; NFLN)

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The difference is that they are not saying it on camera. If it was someone else who said it at the concert, I bet you Riley Cooper would be denouncing it. That's just how it goes. People say dumb **** they shouldn't all the time when they are with their friends and so forth. It is completely different if you get caught saying it on camera. Deny deny deny...until you get caught, then act like it is the first time you ever did it.
But his point is that don't pound your chest that you are better than Cooper when you will say something almost as bad today or later or previously.

We all know that its worse when proven, he's just trying to change the thought process on a whole.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:05 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
This whole thing is so stupid. He said it, he's paying for it. Why continue to constantly kill the guy? Whether he's sorry or not, he is paying for his actions. We aren't his employer, nor his judge. Public opinion is ludicrous sometimes.

08-02-2013, 12:14 PM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
This whole thing is so stupid. He said it, he's paying for it. Why continue to constantly kill the guy? Whether he's sorry or not, he is paying for his actions. We aren't his employer, nor his judge. Public opinion is ludicrous sometimes.
its absolutely insane how bad the media is blowing this up. its sad actually.

plus how many of them were actually at the Kenny Chesney concert

Old
08-02-2013, 12:18 PM
flyershockey

The NFL has set a pretty serious precedent here. Not only are your responsible for your actions outside of NFL activities, but you're now responsible for whatever you say. I'm not condoning Cooper for saying what he said, but I have feeling this new found ideology is going to blow up in their face, especially with all the morons they employ.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
But his point is that don't pound your chest that you are better than Cooper when you will say something almost as bad today or later or previously.

We all know that its worse when proven, he's just trying to change the thought process on a whole.
Oh absolutely he shouldn't be doing that, but that is what people do. I've said stuff in the same vein as "I can't believe X said/did Y!" when I have done or said the same thing in the past. We all have. It's not something that I am proud of or something that I think people should do, but we all have done it.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:22 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The NFL has set a pretty serious precedent here. Not only are your responsible for your actions outside of NFL activities, but you're now responsible for whatever you say. I'm not condoning Cooper for saying what he said, but I have feeling this new found ideology is going to blow up in their face, especially with all the morons they employ.
I think you need to be held accountable for your actions, but within reason. He said something racist and stupid, yes. That should be penalized. Should he get the death penalty for it? NO. He's being crucified by people in their ivory towers of piety when I can guarantee you, they've thought similar things and/or worse.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:29 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
I think you need to be held accountable for your actions, but within reason. He said something racist and stupid, yes. That should be penalized. Should he get the death penalty for it? NO. He's being crucified by people in their ivory towers of piety when I can guarantee you, they've thought similar things and/or worse.
Exactly. I do think he should face some sort of penalty, which he did with the fine. But the people acting like this is the worst atrocity ever committed by an NFL player need to get over themselves, including LeSean McCoy. In a league where murders and DUI's have become common place, his drunken remark seems tame by comparison, and I'm a guy that hates racist mentalities. Oh well though, it's just another reason why the NFL has become so bush league that I have a hard time supporting it.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:14 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I have my concerns as well about overly censoring player activities off the field, but everything is recorded now and reflects on the league. I don't love it, but there it is.

Let me put it bluntly:

I'm an Eagles fan-- and my interest (and thus my dollar) is very much impacted by how much I dislike this team by what I hear about the players.

The league understands that I'm not alone on this-- and wants my dollar back.

As a result, I haven't purchased any Eagles gear since an expensive Dawkins jersey (we're talking 15 years of fandom). Place that in distinction from the Flyers (whom I've met a few of -- but I know little about their opinions and lives)-- I have a lot of Flyers gear.

I'm not saying that my behaviour is correct, either. Maybe I'm wrong to be this way, but there it is.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Ilya Bryzastor

I would love to ask every body in the media and every Eagles player , did you ever say the N-word in you're entire life, with a lie detector hooked up. Lets be real here , Alot of people have used the word before maybe not in public but they still said it which is the same. Lesean McCoy says he can't respect a guy like Cooper , but wtf is McCoy? the same guy who got people on twitter to harass his girlfriend , the same guy who kicked some girl off of a bus.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I have my concerns as well about overly censoring player activities off the field, but everything is recorded now and reflects on the league. I don't love it, but there it is.

Let me put it bluntly:

I'm an Eagles fan-- and my interest (and thus my dollar) is very much impacted by how much I dislike this team by what I hear about the players.

The league understands that I'm not alone on this-- and wants my dollar back.

As a result, I haven't purchased any Eagles gear since an expensive Dawkins jersey (we're talking 15 years of fandom). Place that in distinction from the Flyers (whom I've met a few of -- but I know little about their opinions and lives)-- I have a lot of Flyers gear.

I'm not saying that my behaviour is correct, either. Maybe I'm wrong to be this way, but there it is.
I think Dawkins is the last guy in the last decade or so on the Eagles that I truly respected on & off the field.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Bryzastor View Post
I would love to ask every body in the media and every Eagles player , did you ever say the N-word in you're entire life, with a lie detector hooked up. Lets be real here , Alot of people have used the word before maybe not in public but they still said it which is the same. Lesean McCoy says he can't respect a guy like Cooper , but wtf is McCoy? the same guy who got people on twitter to harass his girlfriend , the same guy who kicked some girl off of a bus.
I wonder if people would be clamoring for McCoy to get kicked off the team & ran out of the league if it was him instead of Cooper? My point being is that Riley Cooper is basically a nobody it's easy to make an example out of him. I wonder if the media & the public would be calling for a star players head?

I also find it funny that McCoy & all of them were very welcoming to a convicted felon in Michael Vick who was on his like 2nd or 3rd second chance at that point but can't give Cooper who had no prior history of anything bad up until this incident a second chance. Hypocrisy at its best right there.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I wonder if people would be clamoring for McCoy to get kicked off the team & ran out of the league if it was him instead of Cooper? My point being is that Riley Cooper is basically a nobody it's easy to make an example out of him. I wonder if the media & the public would be calling for a star players head?

I also find it funny that McCoy & all of them were very welcoming to a convicted felon in Michael Vick who was on his like 2nd or 3rd second chance at that point but can't give Cooper who had no prior history of anything bad up until this incident a second chance. Hypocrisy at its best right there.
I don't think a black guy saying it is the same as a white guy. I don't think anyone should say it, but white has obviously racist undertones. I don't think that black people should say it either, let me state again. It doesn't make it okay to say, but Cooper being white makes a bad thing worse due to the history our country has. That is public perception.

It's been mentioned before, but I really wish the media would stop harping on interracial violence as a hot point. Violence is violence. Whether it's racially fueled, sexual orientation, political leanings, pizza toppings, violence is violence. The sooner people aren't so quick to say black on white crime, or white on black crime, the sooner we are to having a less prejudiced society.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:29 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 750
Quote:
I think Dawkins is the last guy in the last decade or so on the Eagles that I truly respected on & off the field.
I think the only current players I respect are Peyton and Fitzgerald.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Like, today really annoyed me on twitter. I follow a bunch of Phillies bloggers, who during times of controversial happenings, like to hop on their high horse and call people out for their tweets. One guy today was retweeting a bunch of people's tweets that said something to the effect of "cooper said it and got in trouble, but what if (black player) said it?" He would then tweet a picture of their twitter icon if they were white, implying that they are somehow unable to ask the question of why it's a federal offense vs. a stupid decision for someone to say that word.

I'm not condoning what he did, but holy hell, it annoys me how quick some people are to crucify others when their record is likely far from spotless.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:31 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Chris Kluwe lol

Old
08-02-2013, 06:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I don't think a black guy saying it is the same as a white guy. I don't think anyone should say it, but white has obviously racist undertones. I don't think that black people should say it either, let me state again. It doesn't make it okay to say, but Cooper being white makes a bad thing worse due to the history our country has. That is public perception.

It's been mentioned before, but I really wish the media would stop harping on interracial violence as a hot point. Violence is violence. Whether it's racially fueled, sexual orientation, political leanings, pizza toppings, violence is violence. The sooner people aren't so quick to say black on white crime, or white on black crime, the sooner we are to having a less prejudiced society.
I wasn't going for a black/white thing there, I used him as an example because of his status in the league. I was just saying what if McCoy got caught on camera saying a racial (towards another race) or homophobic slur similar in Cooper's situation but a different slur.

I wonder if people would be clamoring for the book being thrown at him if the roles were reversed seeing as McCoy's a top player & not a run of the mill type player like Cooper.

The second part was me just laughing at how much of hypocrites the Eagles players are.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:44 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I wasn't going for a black/white thing there, I used him as an example because of his status in the league. I was just saying what if McCoy got caught on camera saying a racial (towards another race) or homophobic slur similar in Cooper's situation but a different slur.

I wonder if people would be clamoring for the book being thrown at him if the roles were reversed seeing as McCoy's a top player & not a run of the mill type player like Cooper.

The second part was me just laughing at how much of hypocrites the Eagles players are.
Yea my bad I wasn't calling you out. Just venting on the hypocrisy of it all. If Riley Cooper was a top tier player, I don't think it holds as much water.

Isn't James Harrison on the record for calling Roger Goodell the anti-gay F bomb?

Old
08-02-2013, 06:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yea my bad I wasn't calling you out. Just venting on the hypocrisy of it all. If Riley Cooper was a top tier player, I don't think it holds as much water.

Isn't James Harrison on the record for calling Roger Goodell the anti-gay F bomb?
Yup, I believe he didn't get in trouble for it though because it was during the lockout.

That's another guy who's on like his 4th or 5th second chance now. That guy belongs more in a jail cell than playing football professionally.

Old
08-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
No Drew Brees?

Old
08-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Ilya Bryzastor

Quote:
Like, today really annoyed me on twitter. I follow a bunch of Phillies bloggers, who during times of controversial happenings, like to hop on their high horse and call people out for their tweets. One guy today was retweeting a bunch of people's tweets that said something to the effect of "cooper said it and got in trouble, but what if (black player) said it?" He would then tweet a picture of their twitter icon if they were white, implying that they are somehow unable to ask the question of why it's a federal offense vs. a stupid decision for someone to say that word.

I'm not condoning what he did, but holy hell, it annoys me how quick some people are to crucify others when their record is likely far from spotless.
To me this is all the media , they are beating the dead horse right now , how many times does this man have to apologize until they leave him alone , The sports media is all about gossip and drama anymore it is sickening to watch. It was a mistake shouldn't have said it on camera , but enough is enough , there is worse things in the sports world going on that aren't getting as much attention.

Old
08-02-2013, 08:27 PM
jstaal
go canes go

[QUOTE=Ilya Bryzastor;69876345]I would love to ask every body in the media and every Eagles player , did you ever say the N-word in you're entire life, with a lie detector hooked up. Lets be real here , Alot of people have used the word before maybe not in public but they still said it which is the same. Lesean McCoy says he can't respect a guy like Cooper , but wtf is McCoy? the same guy who got people on twitter to harass his girlfriend , the same guy who kicked some girl off of a bus. No, i have never said the n word, and anyone that uses it, is racist.. PERIOD..

Old
08-02-2013, 08:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaal View Post
No, i have never said the n word, and anyone that uses it, is racist.. PERIOD..
Thanks for being such a great humanitarian! I guess you never made a mistake neither?

Old
08-02-2013, 09:54 PM
The Couturier Effect

Anyone who uses the N word is racist?

Listen to some of his music. Is he racist?

Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 08-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old
08-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Devastate

The thing that bothers me the most is that this is ONLY an issue because a white guy said the N word.

If a black guy called someone a cracker in public it wouldn't be half the story that this is.

The word is a terrible word, there's no doubt about that, but I feel like this is only an issue because it's white on black. Black on white would be a slap on the wrist and maybe fifteen seconds of coverage on sportscenter

Old
08-03-2013, 06:14 PM
kicksave27

Why is this even news? Why is he missing practice time because of it?

This pc stuff is out of control, people need to put on their big girl pants and get over it. Especially the media. The first amendment gives us the right to free speech, it doesn't give us the freedom from being offended by what others say.

Closed Thread