HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Weekes Start against the Sabres on Sunday?

Old
11-03-2006, 05:52 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
Lol the funniest part about the goal was after its in and out of the net, Weekes moves his glove up like "oh **** i better make it look like i tried". I honestly laughed so hard when that goal went in. I got a little worried about the game but my first reaction was just a wow, there's the Weekes we're all too used to =p

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
I think he has played well on this road trip.... its really a toss up... if you put Henkie in there and he gets blown away (which is possible since its the Sabres) that would make a, IMO, bad situation worse.

But if you play Weekes over The King and he does well again, then you have to ask yourself do you ride Weekes while he is hot like the team did with Henry last year or do you give Henry some more starts in a row since he is the #1 guy?

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:06 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
I think he has played well on this road trip.... its really a toss up... if you put Henkie in there and he gets blown away (which is possible since its the Sabres) that would make a, IMO, bad situation worse.

But if you play Weekes over The King and he does well again, then you have to ask yourself do you ride Weekes while he is hot like the team did with Henry last year or do you give Henry some more starts in a row since he is the #1 guy?
much of our success last year can be attributed to internal competition. Players EARNED their playing time. I think this year we have reverted back a little. I say make Henke PLAY his way back to being the starting goaltender. All playing time has to be EARNED on this team in order for it to be successful.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
much of our success last year can be attributed to internal competition. Players EARNED their playing time. I think this year we have reverted back a little. I say make Henke PLAY his way back to being the starting goaltender. All playing time has to be EARNED on this team in order for it to be successful.
If Weekes playes better then Henry, so be it. I hope that Henry finds his game, but if he doesnt and he was a flash in the pan.... well.... that sucks...

If playing time had to be earned, I think that we would be seeing a much different story on the blue line... but thats another thread all together....

Old
11-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Chimp

Weekes hasn't been better than Lundqvist. The difference has definitely been the defense.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-03-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

thats obvious, but if the team continues to play better in front of him as opposed to Lundy, and Weeks has an easier time because of it, then so be it....

I, for one, Hope that does not happen...

Old
11-03-2006, 07:45 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
You're really stretching it here. Competition is ok, but you don't want a real competition at this time. Why don't you be frank and say you don't want to hurt Hank's feelings? many would agree and that is exactly the notion I don't share. I'm not sure about you, but it appears most people believe that we can beat the Sabres. They want Lundqvist to get cheers at the end of the game so his confidence level will go up. What if we loose? If Weeks is in goal, then Lundqvist gets the next start. If Lundqvist looses it would be scandalous.
Now you're stretching it. Never in my posts on the subject have I talked about confidence or anyone's feelings. These guys get millions, I don't care how they feel. I care how they perform. If competition enhances that then so be it. I'm not even in favor of competition so much as I just want guys to play when they earn the time.

Look at my previous post. The first thing I say is you disregard your opponent or the outcome of the game because right now the most important thing is getting everyone at their best. I'll sacrifice two points if it means the rest of the season resembles last night.

I really, really doubt that if Lundqvist loses to the best team in the league it would be scandalous.

And finally, I never said that Weekes should start, I merely pointed out that there are benefits for either decision. Lundqvist might just be ready and able to give the Sabres a real task tomorrow.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:44 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
This is a tough one. Weekes has been playing great, Lundqvist is well rested. Weekes also played against Sabres and completely choked. I say, we give Lundqvist the chance to defeat Sabres. I have nothing against Weekes if Renney decides to put him in. Whatever happens, happens.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 12:04 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Weekes hasn't been better than Lundqvist. The difference has definitely been the defense.
maybe the defense has been bad but it was bad last year also and Henke was making the big saves. This year so far he's been letting in easy goals. I'd prefer Henke to be the star but he hasn't been and I don't think handing him the majority of starts solves the problem. He needs to come out fighting, he will be a better and stronger player mentally after this test.

How Weekes played against Buffalo last time means nothing. He's playing better now.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 01:12 AM
VEGASRANGERFAN

All I care is that I get the Ranger feed on Center Ice. If I have to listen to that annoying Buffalo homer I might kill myself.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Makel

better hope weekes dont start he will get LIT UP u need a good post to post goalie like lundqvist regardless of how hes played so far...

Makel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 04:25 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
I think it's rather simple, Weekes came here with the knowledge he'll be number 1. Lundqvist (not so surprisingly) outplayed him so ridiculously, Weekes hasn't seen too much ice.

Right now is the first time since he came to NY that Weekes is actually in position to gain some confidence and offer a real challenge for number 1, especially as Lundqvist been less than godly.

Give Weekes a chance to make a competition out of this, let him start when he deserves it. I think it can also be beneficial for Lundqvist, and I've no doubt that he'll play godly once again in his next start.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 07:52 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Kings center Michael Cammalleri said this to the Los Angeles Times about the Penguins: "We had to be ready because we knew none of those guys were out in the bars [Tuesday] night. They aren't old enough to get in"

A little fun jab directed at the Pens, but who was in LA the game before playing like crap?

The Rangers as a team now KNOW they can play AMAZING HOCKEY. Maybe they had some little doubts creeping in with the roster changes and Jagrs shoulder injury, but they know now what they are capable of and what the FOCUS they need as a TEAM to get that done. Henrik has NOT had the benefit of that focused team in front of him and he's STILL won some games. The guys on the team will be aware of that and will come out hard and focused(hopefully every game) but certainly Henkes next start.

Tough call on Sunday mainly because Kevin got shelled in that earlier game in Buffalo I could see Renny "rewarding" him with the start for his great play and the opportunity to redeem is cred as far as Buffalo goes.

Than again, put Henrik in and the team plays up to their potential and the Sabres leave MSG with their first loss and a seed of doubt in their mind that Lundqvist is not the guy they want to meet in the playoffs.

Here we see Renny do some coaching

11-04-2006, 07:55 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles3035 View Post
better hope weekes dont start he will get LIT UP u need a good post to post goalie like lundqvist regardless of how hes played so far...
Actually what we NEED, is the team to play a sound TWO way game 60 minutes of effort. When that happens, this team is built to destroy. Kevin is a talented goalie. He has won BIG games for us in the past and will do so in the future.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Fletch

Cycle...

I think the Rangers already knew they can play amazing hockey. I still think Jagr isn't the Jagr of last season. He's not controlling the flow as much and has been mostly lax coming back on the backcheck (last season he was very diligent and effective). I just hope he remains healthy throughout the season, but in the meantime, Shanny's pulling the weight of a few, and that's what good teams do; when one's down, someone else stands up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:45 AM
bubba5

Lundy needs to learn what it takes to win in the NHL...Last year nobody expected anything from anyone until March rolled around and then we won nothing. Winning in Europe where you play 40 games a year and winning a 2 week tournament in Italy in nothing compared to playing an NHL season. Richter was one of the best conditioned athletes around, he understood what it takes mentally and physically to endure an NHL season. Lundy needs to learn this before we can pin franchise goalie on him. Partying in NYC till all hours is not the way to go.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Lundy needs to learn what it takes to win in the NHL...Last year nobody expected anything from anyone until March rolled around and then we won nothing. Winning in Europe where you play 40 games a year and winning a 2 week tournament in Italy in nothing compared to playing an NHL season. Richter was one of the best conditioned athletes around, he understood what it takes mentally and physically to endure an NHL season. Lundy needs to learn this before we can pin franchise goalie on him. Partying in NYC till all hours is not the way to go.
I don't neccesarily agree with the idea that Lundqvist needs to learn how to win. But he might need time to adjust to the grind of a full season.

To your point about Richter, by a large he always had a backup who pushed him and could play a couple of games if he had to. Of course there was Beezer but also Bob Froese and Glen Healey. And there were times when you could have said that Froese was playing better than Richter. And there were spells when Healey did too.

You could even make an argument that it was when Richter didn't have a legit backup that he started breaking down because he was being played too much.

11-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Fletch

Even with a legit backup...

it's been the mantra of most every Rangers coach to play their key guys until they drop. Campbell, Muck, Low, Trots, Sather and Renney too. It's who they feel most comfortable playing and with whom they want to win (or lose).

Old
11-04-2006, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's been the mantra of most every Rangers coach to play their key guys until they drop. Campbell, Muck, Low, Trots, Sather and Renney too. It's who they feel most comfortable playing and with whom they want to win (or lose).
I know. And they're wrong.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:28 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't neccesarily agree with the idea that Lundqvist needs to learn how to win. But he might need time to adjust to the grind of a full season.

To your point about Richter, by a large he always had a backup who pushed him and could play a couple of games if he had to. Of course there was Beezer but also Bob Froese and Glen Healey. And there were times when you could have said that Froese was playing better than Richter. And there were spells when Healey did too.

You could even make an argument that it was when Richter didn't have a legit backup that he started breaking down because he was being played too much.

Agreed. The only thing I would add is that I really do get the feeling Lundy is prepared. I am not saying that he doesn't care (which I have said in posts following the LA loss- meer frustration though...didn't really mean it.), but there is a def. difference in his play and his overall demeanor.

There has to be a reason the D plays better in front of Weekes. And I can't think it's soley because they know Henry can bail them out of bad plays and Weekes can't. I am just guesing here, but maybe they know something we don't.

I remember last year, when Sykora won a shootout for the second time in a week....both times he went over to Weeks first to celebrate. Now I know that Weeks prob. spends most his time on the bench next to these guys during the game...chatting...giving them tips on how to beat goalies short side, etc. ...but it's little things like that I saw day to day with this team last year. I just feel like those rumors of Lundy showing his players up during the game might be true. I hope not though... Anyone's thoughts?

Also, this is just my opinion, but sometimes North American players seem to motivate in the NHL more than European players.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think the Rangers already knew they can play amazing hockey. I still think Jagr isn't the Jagr of last season. He's not controlling the flow as much and has been mostly lax coming back on the backcheck (last season he was very diligent and effective). I just hope he remains healthy throughout the season, but in the meantime, Shanny's pulling the weight of a few, and that's what good teams do; when one's down, someone else stands up.

Jags has looked lumbering at times. But I thought the last two games he seemed to be a step quicker. It always irks me a littel that he doesnt back check enough. More now that he has the C

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Fletch

He's quicker...

but not dominating. The puck's not stuck to his stick this year and defenses are playing him tougher.

SBoS - Agreed.

Old
11-04-2006, 03:29 PM
PitthockeyFan

What makes you think that Henrik is partying in NYC till all hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post

PitthockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 03:49 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Well Lundqvist has won the team what 5 games already? You wanna play your best goalie against the best team in the league. The Rangers best goalie is Lundqvist hands down. I think hes gonna play 10x's better now that there is a slight chance of Weekes getting more starts because he is so competetitive. Weekes played well these last two games, but not good enough to overtake Lundqvist for the #1 spot and start game in and game out.
Bingo.

Now that Weekes is breathing down the neck of Henke, you play Lundqvist. How he responds to the pressure will speak of what kind of keeper he is IMO.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN View Post
All I care is that I get the Ranger feed on Center Ice. If I have to listen to that annoying Buffalo homer I might kill myself.
OMFG Dude I am right there with you on that one!!