HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Old
07-31-2013, 03:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
What's Going On? Part 4

From the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Your Kelowna experience is because of atmospheric changes in the ionosphere that happen at night allowing signals to travel much farther.
Many stations in Canada (including CHED) are mandated by the CRTC to cut their signal strength just before nightfall due to this phenomena. Thats why (if you are far enough away from the transmitting tower) you can be listening to a hockey game in your car and at around sunset the signal becomes weaker and the game may sound much more fuzzy.

In any event I believe 50 kW is still the max broadcast power for any AM station in Canada.
Also (IIRC from my Telecommunications studies) the lower the frequency...the longer the radio wave. So the lower the station is on the AM band the longer the signal will carry.

So if both 630 CHED and 1260 are running 50kW (max) transmissions (which I believe they are) then CHED's range will always be far superior to that of the TEAM1260.

Back before the mid 90's the Oiler games were carried by CFRN1260 and I could never hope to hear the broadcast in my car in Southern Alberta. I was elated when 630CHED got the broadcast rights because that allowed me to hear Oiler info pretty much anywhere in Southern Alberta. The broadcast range for CHED is just so much more superior.

If 1260 does become TSN radio and they do get the broadcast rights for Oiler games it will be a sad day for many rural (and Southern Alberta) Oiler fans as 90% of the provincial coverage will be gone (Streaming audio aside) unless they employ satellite stations around the province which is pretty unlikely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Thanks for the great post.

This makes sense, as I've noticed that 630 ched and 580 ckua were two of the best for reception all over Alberta, and they are two of the lowest frequencies.

I don't pick up ched at night in Kelowna, I suppose it's just blind luck which stations you get at night? As I said before 1260 didn't come in at night in Alberta and 15 hours away it's clear as a bell for the most part.

I do recall getting stations from as far as Hawaii and what I think was the Phillipines in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
It could get interesting if Sportsnet picks up CKUA. Their range is even better than CHED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
It's not so much blind luck but it's based on the signal bouncing off the atmosphere at night and then coming back down in a certain location. In Edmonton at night we would get Team 1040 and Team 1410 and likewise, Vancouver does get higher frequency Edmonton stations. Calgary gets a lot of Seattle stations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I really hope that doesnt happen. That would be a real shame. CKUA should be something that is off limits.

On another note, great edition of The Pipeline show last night. Guy had two professional scouts as guests for a few segments and it was top notch stuff. Very informative. You should check it out in the archives if you get the chance.

Dont have a link to the show, maybe Guy or someone else can post a link when it is available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
It seems to me that I heard quite some time ago that CKUA is giving up its province-wide AM signal but will continue to broadcast in FM and on-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Commercial free Gregor audio is updated regularly here- http://www.jasongregor.com/category/archive-shows/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...375156800&sn=8

Thanks for the praise, it was a very quick show. We could have kept going for another hour easily, just scratched the surface of the things I wanted to get to with them.

07-31-2013, 07:55 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Hey BBO, maybe a better title would be: Edmonton Sports Radio or something along those lines, we talk about CHED as much as TEAM in here.

PeakOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 07:57 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
What's going on?

Not much checking the morning news, checking to see any new hockey rumors come up over night. Going to head into Eskimo thread as I know there will be talk about yet another backup QB being so great.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's going on?

Not much checking the morning news, checking to see any new hockey rumors come up over night. Going to head into Eskimo thread as I know there will be talk about yet another backup QB being so great.
I give them credit for still making things a bit entertaining and listenable considering how little is happening at this time of year.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:34 AM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Hey BBO, maybe a better title would be: Edmonton Sports Radio or something along those lines, we talk about CHED as much as TEAM in here.
sports radio in Edmonton will be a better title due to what is going on behind the scenes and a reported second sport stations coming on September 1st

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I give them credit for still making things a bit entertaining and listenable considering how little is happening at this time of year.
What I like about Gregor is he can bring in a Matt Kassian and just talk about something that is completely new.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:32 PM
nye

bread crumbs

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What I like about Gregor is he can bring in a Matt Kassian and just talk about something that is completely new.
Indeed, that was pretty cool. Though Gregor's "not listening to the guests" he has on live is getting a little old.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

So Dan Tencer is finally taken off Oilers after shows and won't be covering Oilers hockey as soon as they find a replacement with his new 'promotion' (Thank you!).

Anyone else hear about this?

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
So Dan Tencer is finally taken off Oilers after shows and won't be covering Oilers hockey as soon as they find a replacement with his new 'promotion' (Thank you!).

He will still be covering Oilers broadcasts, just not Inside Sports.

The rumor is Reid Wilkins may be given Inside Sports, which is not an upgrade IMO

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post

What's that?

Whoever can lick the gum off of the bottom of Kevin Lowe's shoe the fastest gets the job?

I know, they put everyone in a room, and Bob Stauffer comes in and bombards them with tree planting stories, the last one to leave the room gets the job?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:24 AM
Shanahanigans

Really have been enjoying Strudwick's show.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Bergeron47

Thanks Trizent, I'll give it a try tomorrow

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 04:12 PM
OilerFan4Life

If CHED has any balls at all, Sid Smith is throwing a lucrative contract offer at Jason Strudwick.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Kevotron

Oh no ! Gregor gone for 2 weeks... which means a mix bag of fill ins..... including CG... 4 hours of him is too much to handle.

Kevotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:16 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Really have been enjoying Strudwick's show.
He is great, enjoy his shows. Last night he had Scott Niedermeyer doing trivia against a caller.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What's that?

Whoever can lick the gum off of the bottom of Kevin Lowe's shoe the fastest gets the job?

I know, they put everyone in a room, and Bob Stauffer comes in and bombards them with tree planting stories, the last one to leave the room gets the job?
In other words, the same way Jack Michaels got his gig.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:01 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
Oh no ! Gregor gone for 2 weeks... which means a mix bag of fill ins..... including CG... 4 hours of him is too much to handle.
I'll take 4 hours of Graham over even 1 minute of Principe. His fill-in stints for Gregor in recent summers have been horrifically bad.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
IN STUDIO today: Former Spokane Chiefs captain and recent draftee of the Winnipeg Jets Brenden Kichton plus Spruce Grove Saint and recent Vancouver Canucks draftee D-man Mike Williamson (will play at Penn State next year).

Tweet questions you have to @TPS_Guy or text (for free) at 101260

Upcoming IN STUDIO guests include Troy Rutkowski (OTT), Rhett Rachinski (UofA) and Mark Pysyk (BUF).

I asked for requests a while ago. Tyson Baillie and Mitch Wheaton are already in Kelowna and won't be back in Edmonton before the end of the summer, but I tried.

08-03-2013, 03:26 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Wait, another full time sports station in September? Really?

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 05:13 PM
hawks889

I don't think edmonton can sustain another station with an all sports format. I mean do we really need another 8 hours of day of oilers talk.

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:51 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
I'll take 4 hours of Graham over even 1 minute of Principe. His fill-in stints for Gregor in recent summers have been horrifically bad.
I like Gene on the radio, I think he comes across as a pretty intelligent likable guy. Besides the Italian soccer talk.

PeakOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:18 PM
abootzky

Quote:
I like Gene on the radio, I think he comes across as a pretty intelligent likable guy. Besides the Italian soccer talk.
Likability is not the issue with Gene. He's a super-nice guy and I'm sure it's not an act. Because I record most Oilers games on Sportsnet I can FFWD through the corny pregame clowning and the endless puns. When he's on the radio showing how little he knows or cares about anything besides the Oilers and soccer, the only option is to make it stop- either by changing the station or turning it off.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:22 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Likability is not the issue with Gene. He's a super-nice guy and I'm sure it's not an act. Because I record most Oilers games on Sportsnet I can FFWD through the corny pregame clowning and the endless puns. When he's on the radio showing how little he knows or cares about anything besides the Oilers and soccer, the only option is to make it stop- either by changing the station or turning it off.
and thats why he doesnt do a lot of radio talk.

hes pretty much all oilers coverage

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Wait, another full time sports station in September? Really?
Is this true? Might you have a link to this information?

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote