HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2013, 07:56 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
If anyone had plans to get J Bo after this year thats gone, 5 years 5.4 per. Pretty good contract for StL.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
Does an expansion team automatically get the first selection in the entry level draft? or are they just thrown into the main lottery with the best chance?
The most recent draft lottery involving expansion teams was with Minnesota and Columbus who picked 3rd and 4th, respectively. Atlanta had the worst record but the Islanders won the lottery and picked first. My guess is the Board of Governors would approve any alterations to that format should there be two teams added in a future expansion. Additionally, Atlanta had the best chance of winning at 25%, then Tampa Bay (second worst regular season record) and the two expansion teams had 14.6%. Atlanta dropped to #2 for losing the lottery. Minnesota won a separate coin flip with Columbus to pick third. I'm pretty sure either of the two expansion teams could have won the lottery if the correct numbers were chosen.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-01-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old
08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The most recent draft lottery involving expansion teams was with Minnesota and Columbus who picked 3rd and 4th, respectively. Atlanta had the worst record but the Islanders won the lottery and picked first. My guess is the Board of Governors would approve any alterations to that format should there be two teams added in a future expansion. Additionally, Atlanta had the best chance of winning at 25%, then Tampa Bay (second worst regular season record) and the two expansion teams had 14.6%. Atlanta dropped to #2 for losing the lottery. Minnesota won a separate coin flip with Columbus to pick third. I'm pretty sure either of the two expansion teams could have won the lottery if the correct numbers were chosen.
Awesome, thank you very much for the response

Old
08-02-2013, 08:54 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I don't want to see expansion, the league is a bit watered down now as it is. I would like to see a team like the Yotes move to a more viable market.

I'd be more for having 15 in each division, if they do expand, you'd think they'd have to put BOTH team (if it comes to that) in the west for balance. IF that doesn't happen and they slot 1 in each, then they would have ot realign again to balance, one would hope.

I like the idea of Quebec becoming a hockey city again. I think they should be next to get a team (back).
Is hockey big in Seattle?

Old
08-02-2013, 08:57 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I don't want to see expansion, the league is a bit watered down now as it is. I would like to see a team like the Yotes move to a more viable market.

I'd be more for having 15 in each division, if they do expand, you'd think they'd have to put BOTH team (if it comes to that) in the west for balance. IF that doesn't happen and they slot 1 in each, then they would have ot realign again to balance, one would hope.

I like the idea of Quebec becoming a hockey city again. I think they should be next to get a team (back).
Is hockey big in Seattle?
There's absolutely no reason why the NHL should have a team in Phoenix, two in South Florida, and two teams in Southern California.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
There's absolutely no reason why the NHL should have a team in Phoenix, two in South Florida, and two teams in Southern California.
3 in SoCal

San Jose/Anaheim/LA

But all of those teams do very well.

The Florida & Phoenix teams nobody cares about.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

It would be cool for a move to Quebec and Tim Thomas to play for the team is was drafted by and never played a game for. LOL

Old
08-02-2013, 09:30 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
3 in SoCal

San Jose/Anaheim/LA

Anaheim and LA only do well when the team is a Stanley Cup contender. And even then, it's only marginal success. It's nothing that's going to sustain itself because a lot of the their following is just bandwagoning. San Jose is the only one that has a good fan base and organization. Totally agreed on the others. I would much prefer to see them move some of these franchises before they consider expansion.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Anaheim and LA only do well when the team is a Stanley Cup contender. And even then, it's only marginal success. It's nothing that's going to sustain itself because a lot of the their following is just bandwagoning. San Jose is the only one that has a good fan base and organization. Totally agreed on the others. I would much prefer to see them move some of these franchises before they consider expansion.
Same.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:30 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
3 in SoCal

San Jose/Anaheim/LA

San Jose is Bay area, NorCal

Old
08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
San Jose is Bay area, NorCal
Absolutely right, totally blanked out where they were...probably just used to a lot of "San"s being down south.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Absolutely right, totally blanked out where they were...probably just used to a lot of "San"s being down south.
haha I always thought it was SoCal til a couple years ago for the same reason. No biggie, just geographically nitpicky sometimes. Though I do think the SoCal teams do well enough for themselves, I agree about the Florida and Arizona teams.

My argument is always "I'd have a tough time moving a team with history (basically a Cup)" so it almost always eliminates the prospect of moving NJ, NYI, and TB for me. But PHX and FLA are always first on my list to move.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Quote:
Same.
Quote:
haha I always thought it was SoCal til a couple years ago for the same reason. No biggie, just geographically nitpicky sometimes. Though I do think the SoCal teams do well enough for themselves, I agree about the Florida and Arizona teams.

My argument is always "I'd have a tough time moving a team with history (basically a Cup)" so it almost always eliminates the prospect of moving NJ, NYI, and TB for me. But PHX and FLA are always first on my list to move.
Yeah, PHX and FLA should be moved, but I don't think it is something that HAS to be done before expansion. Let the two new teams in and generate some revenue. Revisit the relocation of PHX and FLA in a couple years. Maybe Vegas or KC will be in the fold at that point.

Old
08-03-2013, 12:57 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Hab fan coming here looking for a bench brawl and a bitten ear.

I was wondering what we could realistically expect from Briere?
Was he more the victim of an underwhelming season by the team as a whole or is his regression really been that bad in the last year?

I'll offer David Desharnais for Samuel Morin just as a sign of good will?

Old
08-03-2013, 01:00 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post

Was he more the victim of an underwhelming season by the team as a whole or is his regression really been that bad in the last year?

I'm not trying to be a **** here but he was flat out terrible last year to his own fault. He literally killed every line he was on. Lavi would try to put him on hot lines to get him going & he would just ruin the chemistry on the line.

Hopefully for you's, getting out of here & going some where new can jump start him again.

Old
08-03-2013, 01:07 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not trying to be a **** here but he was flat out terrible last year to his own fault. He literally killed every line he was on. Lavi would try to put him on hot lines to get him going & he would just ruin the chemistry on the line.

Hopefully for you's, getting out of here & going some where new can jump start him again.
Thanks for the response! How much has he slowed down in terms of speed?

Old
08-03-2013, 01:09 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Briere has been and still is my favorite player which is what made last year particularly painful for me. He used to be so dynamic. He could create chances out of seemingly nothing. But he appears to have totally lost that ability. LOD is right. He totally destroyed any chemistry with whatever players he was with. In particular, he assisted in ruining what could have been a break out year for Brayden Schenn.

Maybe he can resurrect himself like Selanne did, but I don't have high hopes for that. Your best bet is to carry him along for the ride then hope he can bust out some playoff magic when you get there. Though, he did still have his scoring touch as recently as the 2012 playoffs, so it wouldn't shock me to see him pot 25+ goals another time. There's reason for hope as long as you're not relying on him for primary scoring (which you're not, so it's all good).

Old
08-03-2013, 01:30 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

If paired with a good playmaker, there's some hope. Since he's been with the Flyers, his best years/stretches have come alongside Vinny Prospal and Ville Leino. I also swore by the opportunity of putting him at LW, but it never happened. He's a sniper now, and still has a ridiculous shot. Get him on his forehand and he should score some points. Also let him sneak down to the side of the net and slam dunk some loose pucks in...he's good at that too.

Quote:
Thanks for the response! How much has he slowed down in terms of speed?
He's got very little speed, average I'd say at this point. And I'm sure you're well aware of his lack of defense...enjoy that too. He's honestly best suited for about 10-12 mins a night of ES time, and as much PP time as possible at this point.

Old
08-03-2013, 01:41 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Briere has been and still is my favorite player which is what made last year particularly painful for me. He used to be so dynamic. He could create chances out of seemingly nothing. But he appears to have totally lost that ability. LOD is right. He totally destroyed any chemistry with whatever players he was with. In particular, he assisted in ruining what could have been a break out year for Brayden Schenn.

Maybe he can resurrect himself like Selanne did, but I don't have high hopes for that. Your best bet is to carry him along for the ride then hope he can bust out some playoff magic when you get there. Though, he did still have his scoring touch as recently as the 2012 playoffs, so it wouldn't shock me to see him pot 25+ goals another time. There's reason for hope as long as you're not relying on him for primary scoring (which you're not, so it's all good).
Quote:
If paired with a good playmaker, there's some hope. Since he's been with the Flyers, his best years/stretches have come alongside Vinny Prospal and Ville Leino. I also swore by the opportunity of putting him at LW, but it never happened. He's a sniper now, and still has a ridiculous shot. Get him on his forehand and he should score some points. Also let him sneak down to the side of the net and slam dunk some loose pucks in...he's good at that too.

He's got very little speed, average I'd say at this point. And I'm sure you're well aware of his lack of defense...enjoy that too. He's honestly best suited for about 10-12 mins a night of ES time, and as much PP time as possible at this point.
much appreciated! Yeah his reputation on D has definitely preceded him. At this point, if he can be an improvement on Ryder I'll be happy. Otherwise it seems like a pretty useless signing. We already have to give Desharnais sheltered minutes so the idea of having another player like that isn't too exciting.

Oh yeah one last thing, I heard, true or not, that he wasn't very good on the wing(guess it was RW considering sobrien's post). Is he that much better at center? I'm just worried he'll be relegated to the wing and be even a bigger liability.

Old
08-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Mjoedgaard
Rookie User

Quote:

Most of Briere's down fall have been terrible sh%. He is a career 14.2% shooter, but have been shooting 9.2 and 6.9% the last two season. Realisticly you should see 50-60 points out of him unless he really is total done.

Old
08-03-2013, 08:13 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, PHX and FLA should be moved, but I don't think it is something that HAS to be done before expansion. Let the two new teams in and generate some revenue. Revisit the relocation of PHX and FLA in a couple years. Maybe Vegas or KC will be in the fold at that point.
I don't want any part of expansion, the league is diluted as it is. Relocate first.

And how viable would Vegas or KC be for expansion

Old
08-03-2013, 09:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I don't want any part of expansion, the league is diluted as it is. Relocate first.
You think it is diluted? Over the last few years there's a small amount of teams that really don't have a shot at the playoffs. Two of those teams (EDM and NYI) are really on the upswing. FLA is on the upswing as well and so is CBJ. And as we have seen in recent years, it doesn't matter what seed you are as long as you make the playoffs. What is diluted about it? There's always going to be a couple teams that absolutely suck, that was true when there 18 teams and it will be true when there are 32. It's not like the NBA where you can pretty much pick the NBA final four and Finals at the start of the season.

Quote:
And how viable would Vegas or KC be for expansion
That I honestly don't know, but those are names that have been mentioned in the relocation/expansion discussion. I imagine the NHL would investigate the best possibilities, it doesn't have to be Vegas and KC. Could be another Canadian team or elsewhere in the US.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
much appreciated! Yeah his reputation on D has definitely preceded him. At this point, if he can be an improvement on Ryder I'll be happy. Otherwise it seems like a pretty useless signing. We already have to give Desharnais sheltered minutes so the idea of having another player like that isn't too exciting.

Oh yeah one last thing, I heard, true or not, that he wasn't very good on the wing(guess it was RW considering sobrien's post). Is he that much better at center? I'm just worried he'll be relegated to the wing and be even a bigger liability.
He's better at center, but what will happen is in the defensive zone, one of his wingers will take over the defensive responsibilities (for a good portion of time spent down there) and help out down low.

Briere can still be effective overall, but it really depends who his wingers are. He's good with people who can grind and make room for him. I was never really a fan, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a good year in Montreal. He'll be out to prove something, and he's usually good with a chip on his shoulder.

Old
08-03-2013, 12:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That I honestly don't know, but those are names that have been mentioned in the relocation/expansion discussion. I imagine the NHL would investigate the best possibilities, it doesn't have to be Vegas and KC. Could be another Canadian team or elsewhere in the US.
I don't see Vegas ever being a possibility for any league to be honest. It's always thrown out there but I feel like there's really no weight to it. There's just so much other stuff to do in that city that sporting events wouldn't be as big of draw. Plus the gambling probably doesn't help. I would compare it to Miami as far as sports go.

If I was the NHL I would stick north of the Mason-Dixon Line for expansion. We don't need any more southern failing markets.

Old
08-03-2013, 12:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't see Vegas ever being a possibility for any league to be honest. It's always thrown out there but I feel like there's really no weight to it. There's just so much other stuff to do in that city that sporting events wouldn't be as big of draw. Plus the gambling probably doesn't help. I would compare it to Miami as far as sports go.

If I was the NHL I would stick north of the Mason-Dixon Line for expansion. We don't need any more southern failing markets.
That very well may be the case, like I said I don't really know the viability of a franchise anywhere. I could see it being a pretty big draw initially because it would be the only game in town pro-sports wise. If ticket prices aren't high I could also see it being a slight draw in terms of tourism. People from all over the country are constantly there. I know if I was in Vegas and the Flyers were in town, I'd go see them. It also is a family-friendly attraction for any sports fans who go out there with kids. Vegas already is a good family vacation (it really is if you have never been there), and this could be something extra. Just a thought, but like I said I really am not basing this on anything other than my unsupported thoughts. Haha.

Closed Thread