Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2013, 07:14 AM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
The article states the kid has been skating but has yet to go through the up and down movement's natural to a goalie.....the article was written on JULY 24th, meaning he has not even faced any shots. Sounds alot like he has simply been skating in a sweat suit without pads or having shots fired at him.

Again, good luck to him but to expect anything other than some action in tier II is getting waaaaaay ahead of yourselves.
I am aware. My post was more directed towards January. Planning ahead.

Old
08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
aresknights

I'm not counting on Herbst playing for the Knights this year.
But IF IF IF he does show well, a lot of options open up, as brought up here.
Play down a level for the year and play knights next year,
trade bait himself
Move Paterson and go with him or another as BUG.
HL if a kids good and can be trusted I'd go with him regardless of age. But ill admit earning Marks trust would be tough tough tough. I'm just one that doesn't play as much into the age thing. You can or can't. Not everyone agrees and I know history shows vets tend to be the goalies chosen but if a youngin is good, I'd play him. ( didnt Bo outplay every OHL vet as a 2nd yr kid?) I know a different position but my point is if ready and can be trusted go for it!
Again I'm counting on Herbst being ready for the knights this year- he's had a few surgeries and so much time off.

If he does come back quicker than thought do we keep Dark away from him

Old
08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
tjziel

If I were Mark Hunter.....(Fantasy)

Keep in mind, I know this is very unlikely, but I would love to show you guys an absolutely stacked roster the London Knights could assemble for 2014. Now this would be considered mortgaging the future so I know this isn't gonna happen but I can't resist...If I were Mark Hunter I would do the following:
  1. Trade Jake Patterson to a contending team (like Guelph or Windsor), for a pair of second round picks.
  2. Turn those second round picks into currency to trade for Darnell Nurse along with Owen MacDonald (OHL 2nd round pick), Corey Pawley, (maybe) John DiLorenzo and a 3rd round pick (2014). I know all of you people think the trade market for these guys is huge, but its actually not that much. Here's a trade made last year that reminds me of what the market could be for Darnell Nurse.

WSR-
    Slater Koekkoek (NHL first round pick like Darnell Nurse, from a rebuilding team like PBO/SSM)

PBO-
    Michael Clarke (OHL 2nd round pick like Owen MacDonald and very similar, and to sweeten we also trade Corey Pawley)
    Sar's 2nd Rnd '14 (These are the picks we received by trading Jake Patterson)
    Niag's 2nd Rnd '15

3. Trade for Sean Monahan by trading Mitchell Marner, Jacob Jammes, and (maybe) Santino Centorame along with a second round pick and 2 third round picks. Here's what I see the market being for Sean Monahan this year. Here's a similar trade made last year, that IMO would have the same value although different circumstances:

SAG
    Zach Bratina (similar to Mitch Marner being an OHL first round pick)
    3rd Rnd '16 (similar to the Barrie 3rd round pick we hold in 2014)
    2nd Rnd '15 (cond.) (similar to the Barrie 2nd pick we hold in 2015)
    Kit's 3rd Rnd '15 (cond.) (I know its conditional but similar to the KGN 3rd round pick we also hold in 2014)

PLY
    Vincent Trocheck (Although not a NHL first round pick like Monahan, he's the OHL MVP from last year. Great on face-offs and does it all like Monahan can.)

So now you know what I would like Mark Hunter to do, here's what this roster could potentially look like after the completion of these trades, with 7 NHL first rounder's on our roster: Domination!

Domi - Horvat - McCarron
Elie - Monahan - Anderson
M. Rupert - Tierney - R. Rupert
Hamelin - Welychka - Platzer

Nurse - Maatta
Zadorov - Liberati
Mermis - Sefton

Stolarz
Herbst

This roster is absolutely sweet!! Guaranteed 2014 Memorial Cup parade at the end of the year, if this can be assembled at least after the trade deadline. Tell me what you guys think!!

Last edited by tjziel: 08-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old
08-02-2013, 12:32 PM
may know

Difference between Nurse and Koekkoek is Koekkoek asked to be traded and wanted out of Peterborough. And if they didn't trade him he wasn't going back to Peterborough.

Nurse seems pretty happy in the Soo.

The Soo also has 52 picks over the next 3 years, so they don't need picks.

IF the Soo was to trade Nurse, which I doubt they will, it would take a LOT more than MacDonald and picks or MacDonald and Pawley.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:53 PM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by may know View Post
Difference between Nurse and Koekkoek is Koekkoek asked to be traded and wanted out of Peterborough. And if they didn't trade him he wasn't going back to Peterborough.

Nurse seems pretty happy in the Soo.

The Soo also has 52 picks over the next 3 years, so they don't need picks.

IF the Soo was to trade Nurse, which I doubt they will, it would take a LOT more than MacDonald and picks or MacDonald and Pawley.
Appreciate your input!! Although, I would like to counter that opinion with saying that Darnell Nurse could also see the Cody Ceci value. Where he didn't want to be traded because he wanted to stay in Ottawa (his hometown) and was only traded Cody Ceci (along with Stven Janes and 3rd round pick) for Jacob Middleton and Joseph Blandsi. A first rounder in Middleton and some other dude who is decent in Joseph Blandsi. Not very much to me, in a certain perspective you are right! Thanks!

Last edited by tjziel: 08-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Appreciate your input!! Although, I would like to counter that opinion with saying that Darnell Nurse could also see the Cody Ceci value. Where he didn't want to be traded because he wanted to stay in Ottawa and was only traded (along with Stven Janes and 3rd round pick) for Jacob Middleton and Joseph Blandsi. A first rounder in Middleton and some other dude who is decent in Joseph Blandsi. Not very much to me, in a certain perspective you are right! Thanks!
Actually because Nurse has 2 years left plus an O/A to play in the O its not same as Ceci,who had last yr and this as an O/A which of course wont happen
I doubt very much Nurse gets dealt at all,and if London were to be the one the price would be quite high
My feeling is there will be a few teams from the East in the buying market,thinking Sudbury,Kingston. and Barrie for starters which will drive up the price for prime talent
Other Western clubs besides London who might take a push are Saginaw and Guelph and who knows maybe Windsor too
With 2 teams from the O going into the Mem cup tourney,could be interesting to see who is willing to pony up
If the Hunters try cheap,they wont get nothing,I think they know that too
As for your dream lineup having Herbst as your backup is a huge gaffe one I hope the Knights do though I doubt it,they will want experience around in case of injury

Old
08-02-2013, 02:16 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually because Nurse has 2 years left plus an O/A to play in the O its not same as Ceci,who had last yr and this as an O/A which of course wont happen
I doubt very much Nurse gets dealt at all,and if London were to be the one the price would be quite high
My feeling is there will be a few teams from the East in the buying market,thinking Sudbury,Kingston. and Barrie for starters which will drive up the price for prime talent
Other Western clubs besides London who might take a push are Saginaw and Guelph and who knows maybe Windsor too
With 2 teams from the O going into the Mem cup tourney,could be interesting to see who is willing to pony up
As for your dream lineup having Herbst as your backup is a huge gaffe one I hope the Knights do though I doubt it,they will want experience around in case of injury
Exactly, I dont mean to be a hater here but the Knights aren't going to be able to just buy everyone. The buyers in the East will drive the prices up, and it's a good year to be a seller. As for Windsor, i think they should look more into being a seller than a buyer. With the core they have right now, I dont think they can seriously push London in the west. With their lack of draft picks I think it would be foolish to attempt to buy and fall short. They have a couple good veteran pieces they could move to pick up the draft picks they are short on and start a rebuild the right way.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I'm not counting on Herbst playing for the Knights this year.
But IF IF IF he does show well, a lot of options open up, as brought up here.
Play down a level for the year and play knights next year,
trade bait himself
Move Paterson and go with him or another as BUG.
HL if a kids good and can be trusted I'd go with him regardless of age. But ill admit earning Marks trust would be tough tough tough. I'm just one that doesn't play as much into the age thing. You can or can't. Not everyone agrees and I know history shows vets tend to be the goalies chosen but if a youngin is good, I'd play him. ( didnt Bo outplay every OHL vet as a 2nd yr kid?) I know a different position but my point is if ready and can be trusted go for it!
Again I'm counting on Herbst being ready for the knights this year- he's had a few surgeries and so much time off.

If he does come back quicker than thought do we keep Dark away from him
Aresknights

I think more along the line of experience more so then age,u used Horvat as an example well despite his age pre Ohl finals he had more then 150 games closer to 170
when u include previous mem cup exp,whereas Herbst would be lucky to have 20 or 30
Yes Horvat did outplay all OHL vets except Scheifele,my guess had Barrie won game 7 instead of London Horvat does not get playoff MVP,in fact had Griffith who was so mortally wounded after the Camara hit and Horvat missed game 7,and Scheifele and Camara,along with a healthy Zach Hall playing I doubt London wins that game 7,most hockey people i talk to agree,the healthiest team won not the best,happens all the time
I dont think Kghts should depend on Herbst at all for this season,unless a very secondary role ie 3rd goalie,if Patterson and or Stolarz cant cut it,go out and get one,dont rely on a 17 yr old with by then maybe limited experience
Another reference would be Fucale,at least he had 2 full yrs experience despite his age of 17 in the Mem Cup,like I said exp not age huge difference

Old
08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
JL17

Letting Herbst be the back up is a receipt for disaster in a few different ways. He's coming off hip and knee surgeries. Unless the kid plays a full year of hockey without injury your risking to much. In warm up he can go down with injury and be done.

What are you going to get for Herbst in a trade... I think everything will be conditional depending on games played. Won't be fetching 3 seconds and a prospect.

Right now goaltending has to prove itself before the deadline. Can't look at win lose records with a team that should be this good. If they're letting in the softies and struggling with controlling rebounds it's time to look for a goalie.

Old
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Letting Herbst be the back up is a receipt for disaster in a few different ways. He's coming off hip and knee surgeries. Unless the kid plays a full year of hockey without injury your risking to much. In warm up he can go down with injury and be done.

What are you going to get for Herbst in a trade... I think everything will be conditional depending on games played. Won't be fetching 3 seconds and a prospect.

Right now goaltending has to prove itself before the deadline. Can't look at win lose records with a team that should be this good. If they're letting in the softies and struggling with controlling rebounds it's time to look for a goalie.

If I was Mike Oke and had 10 second rounders in the next few years id throw a few at London for Herbst. High risk, HUGE reward tho...

Old
08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
If I was Mike Oke and had 10 second rounders in the next few years id throw a few at London for Herbst. High risk, HUGE reward tho...
If u were Mike Oke and offered this kind of deal Hunter would think u were the 2nd coming of Dave Reid and take full advantage of you,and the Petes would be worse off again
Not worth the risk

Old
08-02-2013, 04:47 PM
JL17

Quote:
If could be a huge reward... but you deal those picks and gets a goalie that gets hurt in the first 5 minutes of action and he has a year or rehab ahead you look like an idiot. Petes don't seem to have problems finding goalies.

Herbst options right now are limited until he proves his body can hold up.

Old
08-02-2013, 08:15 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
If a trade like that where to be worked out, it's for a conditional 15th round pick with a sliding scale on the picks for time on the roster. That said, Herbst is still rehabbing, he wont be moved in the middle of it. He's not officially confirmed for Training camp just yet.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
aresknights

"my guess had Barrie won game 7 instead of London Horvat does not get playoff MVP,in fact had Griffith who was so mortally wounded after the Camara hit and Horvat missed game 7,and Scheifele and Camara,along with a healthy Zach Hall playing I doubt London wins that game 7,most hockey people i talk to agree"

Ur guess and a bag of peanuts gets ya...

I hear what everyone is saying and I did say I don't expect Herbst to be on the knights this year and he should play a year of B if even possible.
Miracles happen ( and again I don't expect it)
My point is, and will remain, if a goalie proves thru a year he can be counted on physically and mentally as a BUG or starter I'd dress him come the end of the year.
Again I can't see Her st doing that. I'd be happy if he contends for a spot next year.
So he's got plenty of exp for ya when we host in 17 lol

Old
08-03-2013, 03:04 AM
12Gage09

MVP usually does go to the winning team so IF Barrie won it probably would have gone to Schiefele, Camara or Hall. but Bo Horvat was really the only option for London. I have no idea why you are suggesting "a mortally wounded" Seth Griffith. That's just stupid. He didn't do near enough.. You can't assume that if the Colts had Schiefele they would have won game 7. They might have even lost worse if he played injured... I don't know anything about Herbst but even as much as everyone praises him, it seems highly unlikely that a goalie who is coming back from an injury who has never played an OHL game would lead a team (even as good as the Knights) to a Memorial Cup

Old
08-03-2013, 06:09 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage09 View Post
MVP usually does go to the winning team so IF Barrie won it probably would have gone to Schiefele, Camara or Hall. but Bo Horvat was really the only option for London. I have no idea why you are suggesting "a mortally wounded" Seth Griffith. That's just stupid. He didn't do near enough.. You can't assume that if the Colts had Schiefele they would have won game 7. They might have even lost worse if he played injured... I don't know anything about Herbst but even as much as everyone praises him, it seems highly unlikely that a goalie who is coming back from an injury who has never played an OHL game would lead a team (even as good as the Knights) to a Memorial Cup
I think if Schiefele played put up a couple of points and London won and Bo didn't score Mark picks up MVP.

There were 2 options for MVP ... Horvat or Schiefele.

Old
08-03-2013, 07:35 AM
aresknights

Quote:

Very true!

And the kid that made the last play got it.

Both were solid

Old
08-03-2013, 07:37 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Remarkable recoveries aside...you won't see Liam Herbst in a Knights uniform this season(likely not even next). It's nice he's getting back on the ice..and is likely going to play Junior B at some point this season..but to think he's just gonna come back and be the same goaltender after almost 2 years removed from action..is asinine...it's just not gonna happen. He won't be backup.

Old
08-03-2013, 07:40 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
"my guess had Barrie won game 7 instead of London Horvat does not get playoff MVP,in fact had Griffith who was so mortally wounded after the Camara hit and Horvat missed game 7,and Scheifele and Camara,along with a healthy Zach Hall playing I doubt London wins that game 7,most hockey people i talk to agree"
Most hockey people I talk to agree that the Knights/Colts series should have never gone 7 games...and London still wins.

Old
08-03-2013, 08:03 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage09 View Post
Game 7 Griffith gets a goal and assist after that terrible hit by Camara,insert sarcasm,fast healer was my reference,OHL has a history ie Kassian,PP31 fav Rinaldo and Camara for doling out unfair suspensions

Old
08-03-2013, 08:24 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think if Schiefele played put up a couple of points and London won and Bo didn't score Mark picks up MVP.

Agree both were solid,though I think if Scheifele put up a couple of pts ,and London wins with no pts from Bo,Horvat still gets MVP,after all Schiefele had 18 more pts in the playoffs despite missing the final game vs Ldn and still could not garner the MVP award
Dont recall ever seeing a large disparity in pts between 2 players where both played into the finals and the won with the least amt won
Not that I am knocking Horvat,my support for him has been consistent,and has aresknights says he outplayed OHL players with alot more exp and older then him,which makes me think he is NHL ready now,nothing left to prove in Jr
The fact the Knights are hosting the Mem Cup is irrelevant to me
Hey if I were a Knights fan I would be afraid to lose him early too
The Knights the past 2 seasons have been pretty fortunate not to lose anybody early to graduation to the pros,perhaps this year that changes
It should be noted that both times the Spits won the Mem Cup,in 2008/2009 Josh Bailey left early to play for the Islanders, a mistake by the Islanders btw,and in 2009/2010 Andre Loktionov graduated early because he was not drafted from Windsor,but Russia and was sent to the AHL by LA
My point being the Windsor teams twice overcoming unexpected adversity player wise to win it all,maybe this happens to London for once
I seem to recall the last time the Knights won a Mem Cup there was a lockout/strike
situation and they had home ice too boot unless I am wrong on both accounts

Old
08-03-2013, 08:29 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Actually, they are in the exact situation. Ceci was drafted in 2012 and got traded in the 2012-2013 season. Ceci is graduating to pro this year. Nurse was drafted in 2013 and could be traded in the 2013-2014 season. And we all know Nurse will be graduating to pro next year...

Old
08-03-2013, 08:37 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Actually, they are in the exact situation. Ceci was drafted in 2012 and got traded in the 2012-2013 season. Ceci is graduating to pro this year. Nurse was drafted in 2013 and could be traded in the 2013-2014 season. And we all know Nurse will be graduating to pro next year...
No they are not in the same situation,Ceci with a late birthday was drafted after his 3rd sesson in the league Nurse has only 2 years exp and is 18
He has the next 2 years of elibilbility plus an O/A year,Ceci when drafted had 1 yr plus an O/A year which would be this yr not going to happen,but look it up

Old
08-03-2013, 08:53 AM
JL17

Quote:
Agree both were solid,though I think if Scheifele put up a couple of pts ,and London wins with no pts from Bo,Horvat still gets MVP,after all Schiefele had 18 more pts in the playoffs despite missing the final game vs Ldn and still could not garner the MVP award
Dont recall ever seeing a large disparity in pts between 2 players where both played into the finals and the won with the least amt won
Not that I am knocking Horvat,my support for him has been consistent,and has aresknights says he outplayed OHL players with alot more exp and older then him,which makes me think he is NHL ready now,nothing left to prove in Jr
The Knights the past 2 seasons have been pretty fortunate not to lose anybody early to graduation to the pros,perhaps this year that changes
It should be noted that both times the Spits won the Mem Cup,in 2008/2009 Josh Bailey left early to play for the Islanders, a mistake by the Islanders btw,and in 2009/2010 Andre Loktionov graduated early because he was not drafted from Windsor,but Russia and was sent to the AHL by LA
My point being the Windsor teams twice overcoming unexpected adversity player wise to win it all,maybe this happens to London for once
I seem to recall the last time the Knights won a Mem Cup there was a lockout/strike
The difference that stood out was how many goals Horvat created by himself. Plus how many clutch goals he scored. No Horvat London doesn't win last year.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:06 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
The argument is there for Scheifele..but after points what did he bring to the Colts? Clutch scoring aside..what else did he do that makes you say.."he's gotta be the MVP"? Just curious. I see Scheifele's game as one dimensional after stats.

I still say out of any Knight currently going to an NHL camp...Horvat is the one that has the best chance of staying. For those saying "he'll never stick"...teflon frying pans never stick either.

Closed Thread