HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ott

Old
08-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Ott

While this off season is much about Vanek and Miller entering their final years of contracts, that is also the case for Steve Ott. Obviously not the star Vanek and Miller are, but still a significant player. So, any word on ongoing contract discussions with him? Any thoughts on wether he wants to stick around?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:49 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

One of the WGR guys, Mike Schopp I believe said a source told him the Sabres had a 1st round pick for OTT offer from a playoff team last year. So if Darcy turned that down Im pretty sure Ott is in his future plans.

But we must wait, because thats what we do.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:51 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Yea, I'm not worried about Ott going anywhere. He doesn't represent a change of eras the way Miller/Vanek do.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Djp

Not at all concerned with Ott. I see talks happening in September when players come back together for camp.

How much for him....maybe 2yr/$6.75M, 3yr/$10.5M (3.25, 3.5, 3.75 each yr)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Would like for Ott to stay and re-sign here.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:20 PM
glvnv
Rookie User

Vanek has no heart! Who do you think will lead the new up and coming players? Ott that's who leadership and knowledge of the game that's what's needed in Buffalo.

glvnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Kublakhan

I think Ott has room to grow into a leader here in Buffalo, he has been showing good signs of that already..Most other teams he would be a what?..forth...third line agitator at best.

Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Darcy was asked during a press conference earlier this offseason about re-signing Scott and Ott, and I forget exactly what he said, but he definitely suggested both would be signed. Obviously, Scott signed, but I'm really not sure why the Ott deal hasn't happened. Hopefully they don't let in drag into the season.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:13 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

He's a guy I'd certainly want to keep in the fold through the rebuild/trek to Dream '16

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:07 AM
Wisent42

I'm not at all worried about Darcy not wanting to keep him. Of course he does. What worries me a bit is wether Ott wants to stay. He's only been here a year and who knows where he wants to be?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:18 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
I'm not at all worried about Darcy not wanting to keep him. Of course he does. What worries me a bit is wether Ott wants to stay. He's only been here a year and who knows where he wants to be?
Fair point. This could (likely will) come down to where Ott wants to be, and a lot of that hinders (IMO at least) on this, the assessment year.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Darcy was asked during a press conference earlier this offseason about re-signing Scott and Ott, and I forget exactly what he said, but he definitely suggested both would be signed. Obviously, Scott signed, but I'm really not sure why the Ott deal hasn't happened. Hopefully they don't let in drag into the season.
Looking back at Regier's history, he's shown a tendancy to sign the smaller fry first and work on the bigger deals as he goes. It's not very Covey. Much will depend on what Ott wants, especially because contenders view gritty players who can chip in a little offense like holy relics come the deadline and if Ott isn't signed by then, I expect he'll be put on the offering plate to the highest bidder.

I think a lot of what happens in the very near future is going to be dictated by how the Sabres come out of the gate this fall. An in-shape, prepared team with defined roles and responsibilities for its players could show some growth and then the trio of pending UFA's may start to think of this team as being all daisies and sunshine extension negotiations. Or, it's possible they are all looking at the ever-shrinking list of 2014 summer UFA's and are expecting big paydays on July 1st.

08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Djp

i think Ott is different. He is close to where he is from and he plays with Weber. He could just sign him to a one year extension thus him and Weber are UFAs at the same time and then become a package deal.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
McTank

Lets see how the season goes, I love Ott and have no problems with keeping him. If girgs, larsson, foligno all progress into a third line though we could potentially get a big return for Ott at the deadline

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Looking back at Regier's history, he's shown a tendancy to sign the smaller fry first and work on the bigger deals as he goes. It's not very Covey. Much will depend on what Ott wants, especially because contenders view gritty players who can chip in a little offense like holy relics come the deadline and if Ott isn't signed by then, I expect he'll be put on the offering plate to the highest bidder.

I think a lot of what happens in the very near future is going to be dictated by how the Sabres come out of the gate this fall. An in-shape, prepared team with defined roles and responsibilities for its players could show some growth and then the trio of pending UFA's may start to think of this team as being all daisies and sunshine extension negotiations. Or, it's possible they are all looking at the ever-shrinking list of 2014 summer UFA's and are expecting big paydays on July 1st.
i think that's all true...
but I also think that if my inclination is right about Weber (C), then Ott's re-signing will be a lock. Some might think I am putting too much stock in that relationship. I think it's very related.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 07:34 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Or if we keep pushing the window of Cup contention to 2016 to 2019, having three straight years of multiple first rounders could go a long way to building that team. If Ott brings back a first, we know the probability of Vanek generating one is high, that could mean three firsts next draft.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Husko

Same as Vanek and Miller, if he won't resign then ship him off. Imagine if all three netted first round picks. Drool...

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 04:33 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Same as Vanek and Miller, if he won't resign then ship him off. Imagine if all three netted first round picks. Drool...
He wants top be here. In fact Mike Weber said a few weeks ago Ott is waiting for talks to start.

Shocker, communication is Darcy's worst skill.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:11 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

I like his energy, tenacity, physical play and his personality in general but I don't consider Ott untouchable. If a fringe playoff team comes calling offering their 1st (which would be in the 16-21 range) and their 4th or 5th best prospect I'd gladly move Ott. It would have to be more then just a mid 1st round pick though, I value him more then that but if a team will offer another good piece I would move him. He's on the wrong side of 30 now turning 31 in two weeks and really how long can a player like Ott who uses his body as a projectile missile really last? We have seen Kaleta at the ripe age of 26 practically on IR more then he's not due to his play style which is close to Otts.

I like him as a 3rd liner but be doesn't belong in a top 6. For the ice time he receives, he should be doing much more in the offensive zone. I appreciate his physicality, his 2 way play, penalty kill and face off ability but I need my top 6 forwards to put up 40-50+ points. Otts adept defensive play and 35 points a season look nice on the 3rd line, not the 1st or 2nd.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I like his energy, tenacity, physical play and his personality in general but I don't consider Ott untouchable. If a fringe playoff team comes calling offering their 1st (which would be in the 16-21 range) and their 4th or 5th best prospect I'd gladly move Ott. It would have to be more then just a mid 1st round pick though, I value him more then that but if a team will offer another good piece I would move him. He's on the wrong side of 30 now turning 31 in two weeks and really how long can a player like Ott who uses his body as a projectile missile really last? We have seen Kaleta at the ripe age of 26 practically on IR more then he's not due to his play style which is close to Otts.

I like him as a 3rd liner but be doesn't belong in a top 6. For the ice time he receives, he should be doing much more in the offensive zone. I appreciate his physicality, his 2 way play, penalty kill and face off ability but I need my top 6 forwards to put up 40-50+ points. Otts adept defensive play and 35 points a season look nice on the 3rd line, not the 1st or 2nd.
So his last 5 yrs of basically averaging over 40 pts a season isn't good enough for you then. The top 6 doesn't always need to score more than 40pts as chemistry and function on a line can be more important. You didn't expect Brad May to put up a ton of points while riding shotgun for Mogilny and LaFontaine...you didn't expect Griere to put up over 40pts with Drury

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:27 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
He wants top be here. In fact Mike Weber said a few weeks ago Ott is waiting for talks to start.

Shocker, communication is Darcy's worst skill.
He did?

Old
08-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He did?
I missed that too.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:36 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
So his last 5 yrs of basically averaging over 40 pts a season isn't good enough for you then. The top 6 doesn't always need to score more than 40pts as chemistry and function on a line can be more important. You didn't expect Brad May to put up a ton of points while riding shotgun for Mogilny and LaFontaine...you didn't expect Griere to put up over 40pts with Drury
Please Ott averages 32.5 points per 82 games played. He has broken 20 goals/40 points once since he came in the league in 2002. And what's the point with posting about Brad May or Mike Grier? They were out of their element playing in that position.

By the way when Grier "rode shotgun" with Drury, Grier was only 10th in ice time for forwards with a mere 14:22 of ice time per game. Not really comparable to Steve Ott who got a career high 18:33 per game last year along with 17+ mins the last 3 seasons.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Jacob582

Do you want Ott on a long term contract or would it make sense to overpay him on a 2 year contract?

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:16 AM
dotcommunism

Getting bent out of shape with Ott's ice time is stupid. Name one forward who had less even strength time per game who deserved more than Ott did. Besides, Ott had a far lower offensive zone start percentage than any other *skater* (discounting Luke Adam's 4 game stint). It's not like he was really taking offensive zone time away from more skilled offensive players.
Now, you could take issue with how much power play time he got (which, you know, might also explain that ice time discrepancy with Grier when he was playing with Drury), but he's also the only guy who was even remotely capable of winning a faceoff, which can be kind of important on the power play.
Also saying that Ott has similar injury concerns to Kaleta is just silly. Ott's missed 29 games to injury in the past 5 seasons. Over the same time period, Kaleta has missed 108 games to injury, including having a few head and neck injuries. It's not remotely comparable

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote