HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2013, 10:40 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
There's a legal analysis (Steve Callis sp) on wfan. He's saying baseball isn't dropping the hammer life ban or wants to avoid that because it would have to go through an arbitrator and court dates would take 1 or 2 yrs. Also, there's a good chance arbitrator may take Arod's side. There not fans of "taking someone's lively hood away".

If that's true, I can see why Arod is not taking the settlement. I'm sure his lawyers told him that. Or something similar.
I also think he wants a reduced suspension.

Old
08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Lundsanity30

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman19m

Mike Weiner from PA called MLB today to talk settlement, MLB said no thanks. Told MLB execs tired of dealing with A-Rod camp #Yankees

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman19m

Unless dramatic change in 11th hour, MLB plans to just institute suspension of A-Rod without further negotiations. It is believed suspension will be for rest of this year, all next year. Though it remains possible Selig could still go for lifetime ban

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman18m

A-Rod camp also contacted #Yankees today and were rejected, as well, on any discussion of working out deal on rest of contract

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman18m

Was told MLB feels A-Rod has had chance to talk few times, taken 5th, not in mood now to negotiate at 11th hour

Old
08-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Good. **** him.

Old
08-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Lundsanity30

The question is will this Arod/Braus PED fiasco, the horrible Pujols contract among others (Hamilton, etc) turn the owners away from spending carelessly in FA going forward?

Old
08-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Its a changing game. Nearly every big money FA signing flops these days. Gotta think GM's will back off some

Old
08-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Its a changing game. Nearly every big money FA signing flops these days. Gotta think GM's will back off some
Looks to be the case.. Tigers still have Fielder for 8 more years and he's got 17HR this season and 76RBI.. That was the last big time contract given out I believe.

Old
08-03-2013, 04:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Looks to be the case.. Tigers still have Fielder for 8 more years and he's got 17HR this season and 76RBI.. That was the last big time contract given out I believe.
Hamilton.

08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Lundsanity30

MLB done talking with Alex Rodriguez, who faces minimum 214-game ban after latest outburst

Following Rodriguez's explosive comments after Friday night's minor league rehab game in Trenton in which Rodriguez basically said Major League Baseball and the Yankees were conspiring to keep him off the field in order to void his contract, MLB officials have rejected Rodriguez's request to negotiate a suspension settlement, a baseball source familiar with the situation said.

Old
08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Lundsanity30

Espn's TJ Quinn says Arod will be suspended on Monday through the 2014 season

Old
08-03-2013, 09:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If the Yankees still have to pay his salary i'm fine with it.

It's one thing to make a joke about PED use through moralizing the issue in the media, it's another thing to do so while also giving owners a get out of jail free card on top of that.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Arod will receive no money next year if he is indeed suspended for the year,and I believe insurance has paid all of his salary this year since he's been on the DL.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The Yankee hate in this thread is hilarious.

Of course they don't pay his salary if he's suspended.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Its possible the Yankees won't be paying him anymore money at all.. If he returns at age 40, there is a very real possibility he will be physically unable to perform, so he would retire get his money from insurance and both the yankees and mlb will be rid of him.

Old
08-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Lundsanity30

Nova is solidifying himself a spot in the rotation next year for sure.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:05 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

No kidding. They shouldn't be able to null the rest of however long that contract is that he WILL probably play.

It's not Yankee's hate, it's disgust that MLB would go out of its way to not only bully individual players instead of ACTUALLY doing something about the PED issue, and disgust that by doing so they're saving franchises from their own ineptitude. If X team had a similar situation you're damn sure i'd be rooting against them, too.

Old
08-04-2013, 05:54 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

As sad as this Arod BS is, it doesnt compare to the stuff George did to Mattingly and Winfield in the late 80s/early90s.

That was 1000 times more of a circus. The losing just compounded it.

Old
08-04-2013, 06:05 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

It's guys like Arod and Palmeiro and Piazza and Bagwell and Sosa and Braun and Clemens and Bonds and McGwire and Canseco who just reinforce my belief that guys like Jack Morris, Don Mattingly, and Dale Murphy need to be in the Hall of Fame.

Old
08-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Lundsanity30

piazza and bagwell? they deserve to be in the HOF. if they are kept out on suspicion, might as well just keep everyone out

Old
08-04-2013, 08:27 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
piazza and bagwell? they deserve to be in the HOF. if they are kept out on suspicion, might as well just keep everyone out
Piazza admitted to taking Andro. That pretty much sealed it for me, even though I think he was the best hitting catcher since Johnny Bench.

Bagwell is just too obvious for me. He was teammates with Ken Caminiti and Luis Gonzales -- one a reputed and admitted steroid user, the other as good as case as anybody no matter how Lance Armstrong-style defiant he has been.

I would put in Larry Walker and Edgar before I put in any of the mid-90s home run hitters.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Bagwell was a slap hitter in the minors with outstanding plate discipline. While I normally have no problem agreeing that hitters like that can easily develop into power hitters simply by the mechanics of their swing, there are too many variables that dont favor his rise from a good hitter with no pop to an elite hitter with record-breaking pop, all while playing for an organization who basically endorsed PED use for a decade.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:37 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The problem is the new generation of writers/bloggers who get to vote who never saw any of the 80s guys play in what was easily a pitcher-dominant pre-expansion era.

There was one female voter who gave Shawn Green a vote.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Lundsanity30

Thats still suspicion based on zero facts. Edgar Martinez played with Arod, so did Griffey, lets keep them out as well. Griffey also became the walking wounded. You can make a case to keep absolutely anyone in this Era out of the HOF

Old
08-04-2013, 10:50 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Thats still suspicion based on zero facts. Edgar Martinez played with Arod, so did Griffey, lets keep them out as well. Griffey also became the walking wounded. You can make a case to keep absolutely anyone in this Era out of the HOF
I agree except Martinez never had a massive spike in power numbers like Bagwell, Gonzales, Brady Anderson, Bret Boone etc.

Martinez won two batting titles before Arod played a full season.

While I think he's lying about not knowing it was going on, he was one guy who was only suspected because of his teammates, whereas Bagwell was suspected because of his teammates and his massive spike in power.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Good on Baseball for doing what they can to burn these PED users at the stake. Not like they had any problem raking in tons of dough when they were all "saving" baseball.

08-04-2013, 12:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Piazza admitted to taking Andro. That pretty much sealed it for me, even though I think he was the best hitting catcher since Johnny Bench.

Bagwell is just too obvious for me. He was teammates with Ken Caminiti and Luis Gonzales -- one a reputed and admitted steroid user, the other as good as case as anybody no matter how Lance Armstrong-style defiant he has been.

I would put in Larry Walker and Edgar before I put in any of the mid-90s home run hitters.
Piazza did take andro, you're right. However, with tons of people taking greenies who don't even think they're doing anything wrong, I can't put andro, where nobody can agree on how useful they it actually is, on the same level as anabolic steroids. When McGuire came out saying he only did andro the community laughed him off.

And your Bagwell claim is exactly what's wrong with the media. There's no evidence at all that he juiced. Sure, he could've, and in his surroundings it may even be probable. But without ANY hard evidence you can't stop him from being a deserving first balloter, which is what the sports writers did. That's a serious problem.

Closed Thread