HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Re-cap

Old
08-02-2013, 02:28 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
Offseason Re-cap

Hey all!

So, I've been away from civilization for litterally the past three months, and am really behind on my leafs news.

After a little research, this is what I know:

Leafs Lost in Game 7 in a dramatic fashion.
Chicago beat Boston to win the cup
The Leafs drafted a forward from the QMJHL with their first round pick
They signed Clarkson to a large contract
They traded for Bolland
Eakins went to Edmonton.
The leafs signed a guy names Brennan (thats my name!!)

And thats... pretty much it.

It would be great to get a re-cap of this off-season and hear your opinions on them!

Thanks!

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:30 PM
blueNwhite89

Where were you?

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Hey all!

So, I've been away from civilization for litterally the past three months, and am really behind on my leafs news.

They traded for Bolland
Eakins went to Edmonton.

It would be great to get a re-cap of this off-season and hear your opinions on them!

Thanks!
You missed the Bernier trade. Frattin & Scrivens with 500K in cap space retained by the Leafs, and a 2nd in either 2014 or 2015. Reimer seemed unhappy about it in an interview he did afterward. Said something along the lines of, "I'm sure they have their reasons for the move." Bernier signed to 2 yrs at 2.9 per, 1.1 above Reimer's hit. Pretty obvious the Leafs intend for him to start.

On Bolland… he fell out of favour in Chicago - played 4th line in the playoffs. Offensive black hole whenever put on the 2nd line. Beat out by Handzus/Kruger. Penciled in as the 3C next year, likely to be on 2nd PK unit. Cost 51st (D Dahlstrom), 117 (G Bergvik), EDM 4th next year.

On Gauthier… big two-way centre. Touted by several scouts to be the best defensive forward in the draft. Leafs grabbed him over Hunter Shinkaruk who fell to 25 and was picked up by Vancouver.

On Grabovski… bought out and shortly thereafter blamed Carlyle for his troubles in a scathing interview with Mirtle. Called him a "****ing idiot" and said he can't produce playing only "six minutes a game." Grabo married the day after his buyout and has yet to sign anywhere.

On July 5th… Bozak accepted the Leafs offer of 4.2 for five after wanting eight years. Weiss told that he was never contacted by Toronto and signed in Detroit for 4.9. Kessel tweeted that "(his) buddy" was back. Re-signing Kessel seems to be the motivation behind the deal. Clarkson apparently left money on the table in EDM and OTT to sign here. Murray then traded for Ryan and signed Mac, noting that his first choice would have been to keep Alfredsson and sign Clarkson.

Brennan is a prospect with offensive potential. The Leafs also signed forwards Smith and Bodie, who will likely be warm bodies for the AHL after the departures of Ryan Hamilton (who followed Eakins) and Mike Zigomanis. Goalie Christopher Gibson (not to be confused with the Ducks' John Gibson) was signed after an invite to the Leafs prospect camp - 2011 2nd round pick by the Kings.

Eakins is replaced by Steve Spott, former head coach of the Kitchener Rangers and Canada's disappointing world junior team this year.

Paul Ranger signed a 1 yr, 1 mil NHL deal with a full NTC. Ranger was a solid #2 in Tampa before leaving the league with personal issues in 2010.

Leo Komarov left to the KHL for 3 mil/1 yr, although the Leafs retain his rights for the season. Nonis offered 1.2M.

There are two players who remain unsigned: Kadri and Franson. The Leafs have just over 5 million in space with the bonus cushion. Speculation is that Liles will be bought out by Monday, which will incur a cap hit that varies between 0.875 and 2.35 for the next six seasons.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:21 AM
TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
You missed the Bernier trade. Frattin & Scrivens with 500K in cap space retained by the Leafs, and a 2nd in either 2014 or 2015. Reimer seemed unhappy about it in an interview he did afterward. Said something along the lines of, "I'm sure they have their reasons for the move." Bernier signed to 2 yrs at 2.9 per, 1.1 above Reimer's hit. Pretty obvious the Leafs intend for him to start.

On Bolland… he fell out of favour in Chicago - played 4th line in the playoffs. Offensive black hole whenever put on the 2nd line. Beat out by Handzus/Kruger. Penciled in as the 3C next year, likely to be on 2nd PK unit. Cost 51st (D Dahlstrom), 117 (G Bergvik), EDM 4th next year.

On Gauthier… big two-way centre. Touted by several scouts to be the best defensive forward in the draft. Leafs grabbed him over Hunter Shinkaruk who fell to 25 and was picked up by Vancouver.

On Grabovski… bought out and shortly thereafter blamed Carlyle for his troubles in a scathing interview with Mirtle. Called him a "****ing idiot" and said he can't produce playing only "six minutes a game." Grabo married the day after his buyout and has yet to sign anywhere.

On July 5th… Bozak accepted the Leafs offer of 4.2 for five after wanting eight years. Weiss told that he was never contacted by Toronto and signed in Detroit for 4.9. Kessel tweeted that "(his) buddy" was back. Re-signing Kessel seems to be the motivation behind the deal. Clarkson apparently left money on the table in EDM and OTT to sign here. Murray then traded for Ryan and signed Mac, noting that his first choice would have been to keep Alfredsson and sign Clarkson.

Brennan is a prospect with offensive potential. The Leafs also signed forwards Smith and Bodie, who will likely be warm bodies for the AHL after the departures of Ryan Hamilton (who followed Eakins) and Mike Zigomanis. Goalie Christopher Gibson (not to be confused with the Ducks' John Gibson) was signed after an invite to the Leafs prospect camp - 2011 2nd round pick by the Kings.

Eakins is replaced by Steve Spott, former head coach of the Kitchener Rangers and Canada's disappointing world junior team this year.

Paul Ranger signed a 1 yr, 1 mil NHL deal with a full NTC. Ranger was a solid #2 in Tampa before leaving the league with personal issues in 2010.

Leo Komarov left to the KHL for 3 mil/1 yr, although the Leafs retain his rights for the season. Nonis offered 1.2M.

There are two players who remain unsigned: Kadri and Franson. The Leafs have just over 5 million in space with the bonus cushion. Speculation is that Liles will be bought out by Monday, which will incur a cap hit that varies between 0.875 and 2.35 for the next six seasons.
Pretty much a perfect summary... well done although you missed Komi buyout (he was very humble about the buy-out and summed it up as he got off to a bad start and couldn't seem to find his place in the line-up) and I don't think Reimer was too upset, he also tweeted things like "I'm looking forward to a tough battle in the net" and "I'm not going to willingly give up the net" which seems to make it look like he's looking forward to a battle and will do everything he can to be the #1.

TMLKesselftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:22 AM
TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Also very interested in knowing where you were for 3 months if you don't mind telling... Missionary work or something?

TMLKesselftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 04:27 AM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Pretty much a perfect summary... well done although you missed Komi buyout (he was very humble about the buy-out and summed it up as he got off to a bad start and couldn't seem to find his place in the line-up) and I don't think Reimer was too upset, he also tweeted things like "I'm looking forward to a tough battle in the net" and "I'm not going to willingly give up the net" which seems to make it look like he's looking forward to a battle and will do everything he can to be the #1.
Thanks. Knew I missed something. On Reimer, I think he knows he has to be politically correct in the press. If he makes a stink out of it, it will blow up in everyone's face, but from his initial interview, he seemed slightly miffed at least.

Old
08-03-2013, 06:00 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Fairly major NHL news: Kovulchuk left for the KHL

We also just re-signed Fraser

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:06 PM
bobermay

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Fairly major NHL news: Kovulchuk left for the KHL

We also just re-signed Fraser
Thanks everyone! When I have the time, I'll have to do a bit more research on our new prospects and such! Much appreciated! Pretty excited for the new season, and like the grit we have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
Where were you?
Quote:
Also very interested in knowing where you were for 3 months if you don't mind telling... Missionary work or something?
I was working as a field biologist on a remote island off the coast of Nova scotia (No, it was not Sable Island...). There is a bird (the Roseate Tern), that is endangered, and nests on this island and has initiated a lot of research on the other seabirds there as well.

Old
08-03-2013, 12:17 PM
colchar

Quote:
On Bolland… he fell out of favour in Chicago - played 4th line in the playoffs. Offensive black hole whenever put on the 2nd line.
And yet they trusted him enough to have him on the ice to score the Cup winning goal.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And yet they trusted him enough to have him on the ice to score the Cup winning goal.
Right place, right time.

Old
08-03-2013, 12:55 PM

I take it that you were on Brother's Islands..Very interesting project..

share is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 04:37 PM
CmonLeafs

Quote:
Right place, right time.
It was the last minute of the 3rd period in a tied game. They hadn't lost that much faith in the guy if they still sent him out in that moment.

CmonLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

You missed game 7???

You're a lucky SoB... that was the worst moment as a Leafs fan in quite some time.

Leafswillrulesometim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 05:44 PM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Right place, right time.
Yeah, he was just getting a rare shift.

To give the OP some context of the dramatic 7th game loss by the Leafs, you forgot to mention that Boston had one of the worst collapses ever in the 3rd period of a playoff game to lose the Stanley Cup. Epic and quite satisfying given the circumstances.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonLeafs View Post
It was the last minute of the 3rd period in a tied game. They hadn't lost that much faith in the guy if they still sent him out in that moment.
Point is, anyone can be on the ice to score a series-winning goal. Joel Ward did it with Washington not too long ago. Among all Chicago forwards, he was 10th in TOI/game. He is not at the same level he was in 2010.

Old
08-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Right place, right time.
Actually? Wasn't it the last minute or two of the game? Do you think they put someone they don't trust out at that time in that situation with the game tied? This was a STANLEY CUP WINNING goal. You don't put people you don't trust out on the ice.

08-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Actually? Wasn't it the last minute or two of the game? Do you think they put someone they don't trust out at that time in that situation with the game tied? This was a STANLEY CUP WINNING goal. You don't put people you don't trust out on the ice.
Players are injured, tired, shift changes happen, etc. EDIT: And it was the shift right after the tying goal. I don't think Quenneville expected anything less than OT, so he didn't put him on to score. I think it was just to give his top guys a breather before OT started. He isn't quite as good as he once was. To further that point, he had 16 seconds of PK time a game. Bad on the draws too.

I just think people need to temper their expectations on Bolland (Clarkson too, for that matter). I'll see how he plays before hailing our third line as the best shutdown line in the league.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Sypher04

This organization has every right to solidify their goaltending future. Reimer is far from a proven commodity and he has to understand that. He has no right to be "miffed", if he even is.

Sypher04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
This organization has every right to solidify their goaltending future. Reimer is far from a proven commodity and he has to understand that. He has no right to be "miffed", if he even is.
Without Reimer, that Boston series would have gone to five games.

Last edited by Avec Fromage*: 08-04-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Old
08-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Hey all!

They traded for Bolland
Eakins went to Edmonton.

Thanks!
In a dramatic fashion themselves...2 goals in 17 seconds....the Boston faithful were more stunned than we were@ the end of our game 7.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ighlights.html

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/micro...ation=/Draft13

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/newsindex.htm?location=/

There now you should be up to date.....enjoy!

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:15 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by share View Post
I take it that you were on Brother's Islands..Very interesting project..
Nope, although I've been in the area and worked with the guy that goes to Brothers a lot for a day. I was at Country Island along the eastern shore.