HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 01:22 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontane Sirocco View Post
I'll wait for this team to fail, and another to appear hopefully named the Roughriders

I don't see what was wrong with Renegades, why not call them that? Again?
Sask Riders will block it every time.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Stats01

It's honestly a dumb name, but hey I'm not from Ottawa so maybe I should be quiet about this but it just doesn't sound appealing at all from an outsider. Great to have another team though in the league. Halifax is next.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Cannot believe the outcry towards this name. I suppose it was inevitable towards any name. This Ottawa team will be a smashing success with lots of loyal fans willing to commit to a team not run by the moron brothers. Can't wait until this team starts playing, then the inevitable expansion to Quebec/Moncton/Halifax and we have a 10 team solid league playing the CFL. After the disaster that was the 90's our league has become a beacon of strength and unity and will persevere to become a solid Canadian institution. That day is near, cannot wait for the league to become complete.

I have no idea what the NBLC is. Basketball I assume? Not sure how any minor league basketball counts at all. Basketball is all star driven, nobody AT ALL ever ever cares about minor league basketball. It has been tried about 1000 times in Winnipeg, not a single person has cared ever. Might as well start counting rugby and cricket teams. What the hell is NASL anyways. Not sure why things this far down the rung count for anything, Winnipeg has the Goldeyes which is minor league Baseball so far down that nobody counts yet still generates 5000+ per game attendance yet nobody is counting that as a real sporting event. Who cares what minor league things you have, that's all local rich interest that nobody cares about.
You have to separate opinions. I myself love the fact that Ottawa is back in the CFL, the ownership this time is actually legit..I just don't like the name.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
You have to separate opinions. I myself love the fact that Ottawa is back in the CFL, the ownership this time is actually legit..I just don't like the name.
Like the way your thinking... so you know what? Lets give it a Chance Card yes?

Old
07-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
I am late to this discussion and have no desire to go over 12 pages of material...so can someone tell me what is the significance of the term RedBlack? What does it stand for and how does it tie into the city and surrounding area of Ottawa?

Honestly it sounds kinda lame but their have been worse names so that is a positive I guess....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Traditional colours of Ottawa teams, like Toronto with Blue & White....
Ya. The specific term 'RedBlack' has no real signifficance. It is just a non-denominational way of trying to tie the team to Ottawa's sports history and the old Rough Riders.

Quote:
I'll wait for this team to fail, and another to appear hopefully named the Roughriders

I don't see what was wrong with Renegades, why not call them that? Again?
Unless the Saskatchewan Roughriders disappear there won't be another team to appear called Roughriders (or Rough Riders to be specific.

I hated Renegades. I much prefer the completely non-specific 'RedBlacks'. Now they just dress em in the old colours, slap a big R on the helmet, and they're as close to the Rough Riders as we are ever going to get.

MOD

Last edited by Brodie: 07-15-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
07-15-2013, 09:05 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
What the hell is a RedBlack?
An Ottawa CFL player?

Old
07-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Yes, this isn't Ottawa bashing, or bashing the ownership group. I'm happy that Ottawa is back in a nice new stadium with a stable ownership group that will ensure the success of the franchise which helps the league and all the other teams.

This is just bashing of the new name....

...which I'm still going to call Ruby Glooms...

Old
07-15-2013, 12:26 PM
xtra

honestly the english version of the name REDBLACKS is stupid but i can dig the rouge et Noir name

Old
07-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Tramontane Sirocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Sask Riders will block it every time.
which is why I just can't accept any Ottawa team anymore
each name gets worse then the one before it.
I lived in Ottawa most of my life and saw many sports teams fold, none of them do well (well maybe the 67s, I've never been to a loosing 67's game and the Civic Center is much easier to get to then...what's it called now?), I just don't think the city is made for sports.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Isn't that the name of some sort of monkeys?

Old
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 900
Literally the worst team name I've ever heard.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Worst name is sports

Old
07-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Tramontane Sirocco

yeah I will estimate they last, at most 5 years, then will go away... then we wait 5 years... and hopefully, as I said we'll get the rough riders (I mean didn't Ottawa have the name first?!)
I have no faith for football in Ottawa, none whatsoever

Old
07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Mrkus

Quote:
yeah I will estimate they last, at most 5 years, then will go away... then we wait 5 years... and hopefully, as I said we'll get the rough riders (I mean didn't Ottawa have the name first?!)
I actually like the name RedBlacks. It's one of the most interesting expansion names I've seen in a long time. Plays to the rich history of Ottawa sports teams, the military and Logging industry, and has a sense of pride.
I did some research. Here are some numbers you can all use next time someone says Ottawa football fans don’t support their team.
Even with poor ownership the Renegades averaged 22,173 and the Rough Riders from 1970 to 96 averaged 22,209. When the Alouettes came back in 1996 they have had an average attendance of 20,700. Toronto’s average attendance sense 1996 is 24,269 Hamilton’s average is 20,836 for the same period. Keep in mind that both Montreal and Toronto are about four times our size in population. Ottawa football fans have always supported their team. As of this weekend they have sold 10,000 season tickets.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
I'm surprised the Senators have lasted this long. The city can't really support any sports. Look at baseball, teams come and go every single year. I went to a few games for the Ottawa Fat Cats last season, I loved it.

...not sure what everyone does for entertainment.

Last edited by Killion: 07-31-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: not rrequired...
Old
07-31-2013, 10:36 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Mark Cohon said the rating in Southern Ontario are up 50%. Nice!

Old
08-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Mrkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I'm surprised the Senators have lasted this long. The city can't really support any sports. Look at baseball, teams come and go every single year. I went to a few games for the Ottawa Fat Cats last season, I loved it.

...not sure what everyone does for entertainment.
Baseball is boring it didn't work in any Canadian city. It's failing in Toronto too. They got a boost this season because people thought they had a winning team before the season started and bought tickets. Watch what happens next season.

As for Football don't blame the Fans. Even with poor ownership the Renegades averaged 22,173 and the Rough Riders from 1970 to 96 averaged 22,209. When the Alouettes came back in 1996 they have had an average attendance of 20,700. Toronto’s average attendance sense 1996 is 24,269 Hamilton’s average is 20,836 for the same period. Keep in mind that both Montreal and Toronto are about four times our size in population. Ottawa football fans have always supported their team.

The Senators are 6th in the NHL for attendance. Not bad for a small market team ehh?

If you want to pick on a poor sports city try picking on Canada's largest city that won the Grey Cup last season. They only get 18,000 fans a game.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkus View Post
Baseball is boring it didn't work in any Canadian city. It's failing in Toronto too. They got a boost this season because people thought they had a winning team before the season started and bought tickets. Watch what happens next season.

That's ridiculous. Baseball is still plenty popular, the Capitales in QC are a huge success. And there's a team now in Trois-Rivières. Same in Winnipeg and Vancouver.

And there'd still be the Expos if that ******* Loria and the 90's work stoppage hadn't conspired to sabotage the team!

No, Baseball is really healthy in Canada. And it'll be reflected by more teams in the next few years.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Mrkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Literally the worst team name I've ever heard.
I actually like the beam RedBlacks. It's one of the most interesting expansion names I've seen in a long time. Your probably a traditional kind of guy that likes names like Lions and Tigers and Bears? And thats OK but it's time to start thinking outside the box and into the future. I'd rather be a RedBlack fan than a Knickerbocker, Duck, Brown, Blue Bomber. Orange, Penguin, Or the newest pro team a name a Pelican fan. These are all pro team names I find kinda silly myself.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Mrkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i guess its a good thing the Ottawa CFL team wont last long enough for the name to be remembered
As I posted earlier. Even with poor ownership the Renegades averaged 22,173 and the Rough Riders from 1970 to 96 averaged 22,209. When the Alouettes came back in 1996 they have had an average attendance of 20,700. Toronto’s average attendance sense 1996 is 24,269 Hamilton’s average is 20,836 for the same period and the last few seasons BC has averaged just over 22,000. Keep in mind that both Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto are about four times our size in population. Ottawa football fans have always supported their team. If Toronto Vancouver and Montreal can make it with just around 20,000 fans a game Ottawa should be able to with a brand new stadium of only 24,000 and finally the biggest thing... Proper local ownership with deep pockets.

Closed Thread