HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Myers: Have you any faith?

View Poll Results: Does Tyler Myers get back to being a top tier defenseman?
Yes 71 76.34%
No 22 23.66%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2013, 01:24 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Tyler Myers: Have you any faith?

Do you believe Tyler Myers will bounce back and prove to be a top tier defenseman?

quickly, though none of you need fuel to speak your mind on this:

- thoughts/questions about how Ruff handled him?

- thoughts/questions about how Rolston & Teppo/Sacco will handle him?

- thoughts on what his ultimate ceiling may indeed be, in addition to likelihood of hitting it?

- idea that he may eventually bounce back, but not necessarily this season?

- idea that he may turn into an okay NHLer but not a great one?

- how much do you value Tallinder's return for Myers?

- what's the role going to be, and will that help or hurt him?

- how much progress, if any, will be made with the staff change and another year of experience? Up or down?

+++++++++++++++

We've seen a lot of poor play from him for a long period of time. And just when you think you're feeling about as low on him as you can, he plays well like he did the few games before he got hurt at the end of this past season. We know the skillset is a rare combination...

I know the poll is limiting, but I did that on purpose.

You either believe he bounces back, under your own decided-upon timeframe and measure of "bouncing back", or you don't think he "gets back" - he never peaks, he fizzles out completely, or anything in between, just not top tier.

Last edited by jBuds: 08-04-2013 at 01:33 AM.
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Yep, I have full faith he'll bounce back. Maybe he's not the dominant franchise guy we want, but I think he can be a top pairing defenseman through his career.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Better Call Saul

I have faith he'll return to being a passable top four defenseman. I don't have faith he'll ever again be the impact player he was as a rookie.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

He'll be back to being one of the best ds in the league.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Shoey
Hello.

He's 23 and has all the skill in the world, I'd be shocked if Tyler Myers peaked at 19.

I blame Lindy and his obsession with turning him into Chara for a lot of Tyler's struggles. I think if the team can get him working on his conditioning and they give up on turning him into a human wrecking ball he should start to make strides to being the franchise defenseman we all saw in 2010.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
My main problem with Myers is that I don't think 19 year old Myers was all that amazing to begin with. He started off great the first 10 or so games but defensively he went downhill from there in just that season alone. He has stretches every year where he looks great and a lot of that has to do with his skill but he simply doesn't have the Hockey IQ to be the dominant player he could be if he had a brain. There's nothing calm and collected about him and there never has been which is what worries me about him. Even at his best there is a huge difference between him and the top 30 or so defensemen in the league especially in the brains and poise department which are the two most important factors in being a defensemen.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
My main problem with Myers is that I don't think 19 year old Myers was all that amazing to begin with. He started off great the first 10 or so games but defensively he went downhill from there in just that season alone. He has stretches every year where he looks great and a lot of that has to do with his skill but he simply doesn't have the Hockey IQ to be the dominant player he could be if he had a brain. There's nothing calm and collected about him and there never has been which is what worries me about him. Even at his best there is a huge difference between him and the top 30 or so defensemen in the league especially in the brains and poise department which are the two most important factors in being a defensemen.
Last year and the year before? You are 100% correct.

His rookie year? He was 100% calm, cool, and collected when handling the puck in tough situations.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Secomded

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 08:28 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
- thoughts/questions about how Ruff handled him?

I generally disliked Ruff's handling of players.

- thoughts/questions about how Rolston & Teppo/Sacco will handle him?

Unclear at this point, but Rolston's pedigree with younger players should be helpful.

- thoughts on what his ultimate ceiling may indeed be, in addition to likelihood of hitting it?

Top ceiling would be number 1 franchise defenseman. His more likely peak is a solid top pairing guy, like a better Joni Pitkanan

- idea that he may eventually bounce back, but not necessarily this season?

85%

- idea that he may turn into an okay NHLer but not a great one?

He already is at worst an okay NHLer

- how much do you value Tallinder's return for Myers?

Maybe off-ice, but I don't expect much from Hank anymore.

- what's the role going to be, and will that help or hurt him?

Hopefully somewhat sheltered minutes to try to aid him in his bounce back. It's not like this team is competing this year anyway.

- how much progress, if any, will be made with the staff change and another year of experience? Up or down?

He'll be better overall, but still not meet expectations yet.
See above.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 08:30 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Myers has a lot of hockey to play yet, I think he will be a consistent top 2 D in this league. When we drafted him most fans felt he would be entering the league arouns 21-22, not 19. He just needs to mature some and play a simple game. Rolston IMO has the right idea for him, concentrate on his own zone 1st.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I'm very confident he will be at least a good top 4 defenseman, not a decent one as some put as the low end. Top-tier is harder to have faith in until he stablizes his game and resumes building on it, but it's not out of the cards. Having said that, it's far more likely he ends up a #2 than a clearcut #1.

I voted "yes", but I'm not sure exactly what are the benchmarks the poll had in mind.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I think he lacks the IQ, work ethic and confidence to be a franchise defenseman. I'm hoping he becomes a top pairing defenseman, but I'm fearing he'll become the next Jack Johnson. All the tools, but lacks the IQ=(

This year will be the true test. He still has the potential, but at some point he needs to take the next step. He's been consistently regressing for the past few seasons.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Revelate

I have heard that he's been in town working out for awhile now, so that's a good sign.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Yes. He has to play his game; not what he was gonna be forced into the mold of.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:07 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I think he lacks the IQ, work ethic and confidence to be a franchise defenseman. I'm hoping he becomes a top pairing defenseman,
I've seen this idea perpetuated quite a bit. I don't know why people think Myers has a poor work ethic. Aside from reporting to camp out of shape this past year - an issue due largely to the injury he sustained in Austria, I assume - there's not much evidence to base that claim on.

I think Myers rebounds in a big way next season.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:26 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
My main problem with Myers is that I don't think 19 year old Myers was all that amazing to begin with. He started off great the first 10 or so games but defensively he went downhill from there in just that season alone.
Hyperbole much? The whole team regressed defensively with injuries to Gaustad/Hecht and Ruff shifting to a more top heavy lineup with Hecht-Connolly-Pominville as the first line in December.

Myers wasn't a great goal preventer his rookie year, but like Erik Karlsson, he was an undersized defenseman whose overall impact more than offset his just OK defense, especially because he was doing it against opposing top lines.

Quote:
He has stretches every year where he looks great and a lot of that has to do with his skill but he simply doesn't have the Hockey IQ to be the dominant player he could be if he had a brain. There's nothing calm and collected about him and there never has been which is what worries me about him. Even at his best there is a huge difference between him and the top 30 or so defensemen in the league especially in the brains and poise department which are the two most important factors in being a defensemen.
****ing laughable.

His 2011 away from Morrisonn was monstrous and he was the team's least scored upon defenseman in 2012 despite playing with Regehr and Leopold all year. But apparently his good stretches are unsustainable, even though they're always double the length of the bad, and there's a clear divide between the two. His rock bottom months also correlate with playing with terrible defensive players (Morrisonn, Leopold) and Ruff's terrible summer development plan.

But I guess he's just dumb and unmotivated.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:50 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Also, Jack Johnson's problem is that he sucks at creating ES offense, is mediocre defensively, and is a possession sink.

Aside from this season, Myers has never been all three simultaneously. I doubt that trend continues.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 01:05 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Myers has been brutal the last few years (duh).

That said, I'd still argue he has more physical potential than any player in the league, possibly ever. 6-foot-7 guys aren't supposed to be able to move the way he can.

He's only 23. On a prospect website, a guy who's been in the league 3 years is pretty much given up on. But think of when you were 23... He's still got plenty of time to turn into a top defenseman.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 01:11 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I have not seen enough in the last two years to make me believe he will ever be a top 2 Dman. He is awkward, mistake prone and incapable of clearing the front of the net. He is great ONCE IN FLIGHT but seems slow to get going. He has great reach and so so gap control. With better coaching, strength training and some experience he could become a very good 3/4. He will surprise me if he ever reaches the point where he is worth the contract he received .

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
But I guess he's just dumb and unmotivated.
I never said unmotivated. He is however a very dumb Hockey player. He was a dumb Hockey player in the WHL and he still is nothing has changed. You accuse me of hyperbole and then say that his good stretches are twice the length of his bad stretches. I didn't know that playing 60 terrible games and 20 good games a season is somehow twice as many good to bad.

There's always some underlying excuse when it comes to Myers. "He was great the last 20 games of the season without Morrisson!" "His offense was non existent all year but he played better after the trade deadline" "Lindy Ruff! Lindy Ruff! Lindy Ruff!". The fact of the matter is there are quite a few young defensemen who are better than Myers that don't need excuses made for them every week.

Old
08-04-2013, 03:08 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
I never said unmotivated. He is however a very dumb Hockey player. He was a dumb Hockey player in the WHL and he still is nothing has changed. You accuse me of hyperbole and then say that his good stretches are twice the length of his bad stretches. I didn't know that playing 60 terrible games and 20 good games a season is somehow twice as many good to bad.

There's always some underlying excuse when it comes to Myers. "He was great the last 20 games of the season without Morrisson!" "His offense was non existent all year but he played better after the trade deadline" "Lindy Ruff! Lindy Ruff! Lindy Ruff!". The fact of the matter is there are quite a few young defensemen who are better than Myers that don't need excuses made for them every week.
Spot on. Nice to see some people calling it as it is. I still think Myers can be a valuable defenseman for us, but I don't see this "franchise defender" that so many see. Outside of his rookie year it's been more bad than good. This year is the make or break year for me. Let's see how he handles playing big minutes on what will seemingly be an average to below average team. I'm hoping he changes my opinion of him, because at it stands now I wish we would have traded him a year and a half ago when his value was much higher.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:43 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I expect him to be an important, solid defender for a long time. That said, I'd answer this question as "no."

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:19 PM
nate1988

I definitely see this being a rebound year for Myers if he comes into the season fully healthy and in shape. With all of the things before, how Ruff handled him, battling injuries, mentally soft, etc , I see him putting that behind him if he can stay healthy, and put him back on track to having a good NHL career. Not saying he's going to fullfil everybodies dreams and hopes, but that he will be at least a very solid #2 d in this league.

nate1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
I expect him to be an important, solid defender for a long time.
Basically how I feel too. Myers can turn it around but only in the sense he plays up to his contract. He will not turn it around in the sense that he becomes an elite player the way some people think/hope. He will never be an elite player.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Also, Jack Johnson's problem is that he sucks at creating ES offense, is mediocre defensively, and is a possession sink.

Aside from this season, Myers has never been all three simultaneously. I doubt that trend continues.
This. I hope he learns to mesh them together. We'd see him do one thing but seem to lack in another, and make it a revolving door of sorts.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote