HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the Habs players speed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2013, 02:41 AM
  #26
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Per tiers:

Plekanec
Pacioretty
Subban

Eller
Bourque
Desharnais

Prust
Gionta
Briere

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Bouillon

Diaz
White

Tinordi
Moen

Markov
Emelin
Drewiske
Gorges

Parros

Really, REALLY surprised at the lack of reckognition towards Bourque. He's deceptively fast.
Pretty solid list indeed. I think Gio's still probably faster than DD.

Definitley agree on Bourque. Very good speed for sure.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 08:17 AM
  #27
ChesterNimitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CinCPac
Country: Midway Islands
Posts: 543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

Subban is a player who is very strong on his skates and is very agile. He really isn't that explosive however as he generally uses his upperbody to shield himself in order to gain separation. He plays the game fast though as he is always pushing the pace and he likes to handle the puck at top speed which is v ery impressive to watch but it doesn't necessarily make him fast. Don't get me wrong, I think Subban is a great skater but I have seen him lose many races to speedy forwards, fortunately he hangs in well enough to get back and take away their space.
This is a very perceptive analysis. Subban is a very strong skater, who has great lateral skating ability; good closing speed; excellent agility but only above average straight line speed. If you watch him closely, he can only generate those end to end rushes when he winds up and gathers speed by circling the net and gaining momentum as he enters the neutral ice area. He uses his great lateral skating ability to beat forecheckers and opposing defencemen on the rush. Make no mistake about it, Subban is a great player, but to view him as the fastest player on the team, is not seeing the reality.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
  #28
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 11,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
This is a very perceptive analysis. Subban is a very strong skater, who has great lateral skating ability; good closing speed; excellent agility but only above average straight line speed. If you watch him closely, he can only generate those end to end rushes when he winds up and gathers speed by circling the net and gaining momentum as he enters the neutral ice area. He uses his great lateral skating ability to beat forecheckers and opposing defencemen on the rush. Make no mistake about it, Subban is a great player, but to view him as the fastest player on the team, is not seeing the reality.
Agreed. He has the advantage of being able to circle back behind the net to pick up speed, otherwise he wouldn't be able to accelerate through the neutral zone without losing the puck. His strength is being able to make sharp turns, change direction rapidly, pivot, etc. Just look at all of his big hits from the past couple years, he'll be skating backwards and he'll make a quick pivot and head forwards at full speed, it's how he catches the forwards off guard and nails them.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:45 AM
  #29
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
HiggsBozon's list is spot on. Although I'd say Subban's skating ability lies more in his agility/strength than flat out speed

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:47 AM
  #30
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Great lets find out who makes the better pizza next ok?

Fastest imho: Subban, Plekanec, Beaulieu, Patches, Gionta ... Bourque maybe

Saying DD and Eller are fast is not really understanding what fast is

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  #31
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 11,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Great lets find out who makes the better pizza next ok?

Fastest imho: Subban, Plekanec, Beaulieu, Patches, Gionta ... Bourque maybe

Saying DD and Eller are fast is not really understanding what fast is
I disagree and most people here do as well. Their top speed is good. Eller accelerates faster than DD though, but both are fast skaters.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:13 PM
  #32
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I disagree and most people here do as well. Their top speed is good. Eller accelerates faster than DD though, but both are fast skaters.
Whatever, a public poll doesn't suddenly cause a player to use speed to gain advantage on the ice. I don't see DD and Eller don't do this as regularly as the faster skaters on the team. They are both average to slightly above average in terms of speed. I actually see Gallagher & Galchenyuk as quicker, specially Gallagher.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  #33
L4br3cqu3
Booya !
 
L4br3cqu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,557
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Whatever, a public poll doesn't suddenly cause a player to use speed to gain advantage on the ice. I don't see DD and Eller don't do this as regularly as the faster skaters on the team. They are both average to slightly above average in terms of speed. I actually see Gallagher & Galchenyuk as quicker, specially Gallagher.
Eeerrr no way both Gally's are faster than Eller, Gallagher is relentless and always hustle but he's not very fast, a bit above average, and Galchenyuk is about the same, needs a better technique. I agree about DD though, he's quick and shifty, but not that fast.

Eller is in our top 5, and not because of some illusory public poll...

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:37 PM
  #34
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Eeerrr no way both Gally's are faster than Eller, Gallagher is relentless and always hustle but he's not very fast, a bit above average, and Galchenyuk is about the same, needs a better technique. I agree about DD though, he's quick and shifty, but not that fast.

Eller is in our top 5, and not because of some illusory public poll...
Well I can't remember seeing him use this asset.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:42 PM
  #35
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Whatever, a public poll doesn't suddenly cause a player to use speed to gain advantage on the ice. I don't see DD and Eller don't do this as regularly as the faster skaters on the team. They are both average to slightly above average in terms of speed. I actually see Gallagher & Galchenyuk as quicker, specially Gallagher.
That is so incredibly wrong I don't know where to start. Eller is flat out fast and DD is very underrated and definitely quicker than either Gallagher or Galchenyuk are.

People generally underestimate the speed of centers and d-men as they usually aren't the ones pushing the play up the ice (Subban being an exception) due to defensive responsibilities deep in the d-zone. The center and d-men usually head man the puck to wingers who are sitting high in the d-zone and the wingers try and spread the gap by pushing the d-men back away from their supporting forwards. When a center does carry the puck it is almost impossible to carry the puck with speed into the o-zone as the center of the ice is guarded strongly by defenders. The usual tactic is to either dump it into a corner and allow the winger to retrieve it or pass it to a winger and have them pressure a d-man on the weak side where they are able to carry more speed than they would through the center. Either way the end result to the untrained eye could easily be mistaken as the wingers being faster than the center as they are often moving faster. It is however, the ability to skate fast that is up for debate here....not the amount of time spent skating fast. It is like saying a Ford Focus doing 120km/hr on the highway is faster than a Ferrari doing 80km/hr in the country. It is plain to see which one is faster if you watch them both all of the time even though one of them is often travelling at a higher speed.

The problem with the speed debate is the number of people who just don't understand the game and the "cause and effect" relation to a players ability to exhibit their speed.

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 12:49 PM
  #36
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Listen you might say someone is the best race car driver in the world, but if he never stepped in a F1 before what good is it to argue about it? If those fast players you are talking about rarely use their speed I don't see the point in preaching for them as fast players. They just aren't until they put up.

For all we care Price might be the fastest... not..

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:27 AM
  #37
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Listen you might say someone is the best race car driver in the world, but if he never stepped in a F1 before what good is it to argue about it? If those fast players you are talking about rarely use their speed I don't see the point in preaching for them as fast players. They just aren't until they put up.

For all we care Price might be the fastest... not..
Refer back to my last sentence.....

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:11 AM
  #38
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
That is so incredibly wrong I don't know where to start. Eller is flat out fast and DD is very underrated and definitely quicker than either Gallagher or Galchenyuk are.

People generally underestimate the speed of centers and d-men as they usually aren't the ones pushing the play up the ice (Subban being an exception) due to defensive responsibilities deep in the d-zone. The center and d-men usually head man the puck to wingers who are sitting high in the d-zone and the wingers try and spread the gap by pushing the d-men back away from their supporting forwards. When a center does carry the puck it is almost impossible to carry the puck with speed into the o-zone as the center of the ice is guarded strongly by defenders. The usual tactic is to either dump it into a corner and allow the winger to retrieve it or pass it to a winger and have them pressure a d-man on the weak side where they are able to carry more speed than they would through the center. Either way the end result to the untrained eye could easily be mistaken as the wingers being faster than the center as they are often moving faster. It is however, the ability to skate fast that is up for debate here....not the amount of time spent skating fast. It is like saying a Ford Focus doing 120km/hr on the highway is faster than a Ferrari doing 80km/hr in the country. It is plain to see which one is faster if you watch them both all of the time even though one of them is often travelling at a higher speed.

The problem with the speed debate is the number of people who just don't understand the game and the "cause and effect" relation to a players ability to exhibit their speed.
Not everyone is as knowledgeable as the all-knowing Estimated-prophet, but we try.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:41 AM
  #39
Mike The Wall
Registered User
 
Mike The Wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montreal Hockey Capital of The World
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
Does anyone have the actual times for each player? This is how you can say who is the fastest!

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
  #40
Habcentric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Great lets find out who makes the better pizza next ok?

Fastest imho: Subban, Plekanec, Beaulieu, Patches, Gionta ... Bourque maybe

Saying DD and Eller are fast is not really understanding what fast is
We all know Subban makes the best pizza, he worked at a pizza restaurant during the lock out

Habcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
  #41
samsquanch9*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post
Does anyone have the actual times for each player? This is how you can say who is the fastest!
Times mean almost nothing for the around the net competition. It would only matter in a straight line, blueline to blueline.

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:53 PM
  #42
mrinsane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Desharnais, Patches, Gallagher are beast. Subban is a fast skater too

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
  #43
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,244
vCash: 500
I really can't rank them accurately but over the years I've appreciated Plekanec's breakaways, especially shorthanded.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
  #44
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Not everyone is as knowledgeable as the all-knowing Estimated-prophet, but we try.
Wouldn't speak for everyone but at least you know your place it would seem

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
  #45
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
Times mean almost nothing for the around the net competition. It would only matter in a straight line, blueline to blueline.
Exactly! I mentioned this earlier in the thread and it should also be pointed out that even in a straight line race effort becomes a huge variable. There are players that will care a lot more than others about winning a sideshow race.

Watching a ton of hockey (especially live) is the best way to get a feel for how fast each player is. This of course, has to be tempered with a modicum of understanding of the game.

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:51 PM
  #46
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 2100
Patches is the fastest skater on the team easily. The question is who is second?

Plekanec has the best explosiveness but he lacks pure speed so I will say Bourque is the second fastest.

Maybe Beaulieu in the future? Only time will tell.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
  #47
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habcentric View Post
We all know Subban makes the best pizza, he worked at a pizza restaurant during the lock out
Hmmm that's a good lead yes

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.