HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

So uh Hemsky for Miller?

Old
08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 500
LOL Buffalo gets ruined if that actually happens (which it won't).

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:21 PM
sabresEH

Nowhere in his blog does Eklund say it would be a straight up trade. This deal could very well happen but EDM fans will not like what else is coming Buffalo's way if this trade does happen. Hemsky will fill a hole in the top 6 so we don't rush any prospects and he is a ufa at the end of the year. Darcy could very easily(if healthy) trade Hemsky at the deadline for another 2nd rounder or b level prospect. This deal is very much a possibility however it will not be straight up, other pieces will be added.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I'm amazed at how little people value Miller these days. Guy is still one of the best goalies in the world. Kind of a baby and occasionally has a crappy attitude, but still an elite talent.
Shades of Luongo....but Miller doesn't have the same contract worries Bobby Lu had. We got a ninth overall pick and people were saying Schneider wasn't proven enough, well Miller is proven enough.

I don't think it will take overpayment for Miller, but Hemsky isnt enough by himself.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:22 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Going to need a lot more than Hemsky, that's for damn sure.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:33 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

I personally have no interest in Miller, especially at $6.2M. He is only a slight improvement over Dubnyk and Dubnyk posted better stats on a crappier team.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Hockeygirl95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I personally have no interest in Miller, especially at $6.2M. He is only a slight improvement over Dubnyk and Dubnyk posted better stats on a crappier team.
Hahahahahaha

Hockeygirl95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:48 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
The only thing "crappier" about Edmonton vs Buffalo is that they've got Dubnyk in net instead of Miller.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
MikeModano9

I'd rather keep Dubnyk then trade for Miller with 1 year left. Plus if we had both Dubbie and Miller that's like 10million locked up In goalies this year. Add to that Miller on numerous times has publicly called out and whined about his own teammates in the media erks me. That's something that should he done behind closed doors imo.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:03 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Seems like a no brainer as an Oiler fan. Obviously won't happen because its Eklund.

5 14 6 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:04 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
The only thing "crappier" about Edmonton vs Buffalo is that they've got Dubnyk in net instead of Miller.
Stats say differently.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
I'd rather keep Dubnyk then trade for Miller with 1 year left. Plus if we had both Dubbie and Miller that's like 10million locked up In goalies this year. Add to that Miller on numerous times has publicly called out and whined about his own teammates in the media erks me. That's something that should he done behind closed doors imo.
This as well. Not worth the marginal upgrade in net for a full time primadonna

Old
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
nate1988

This trade won't happen for a number of reasons. People really undervalue Miller around here. I know he's no where near his play a couple seasons back, however if you have watched him play at all you would know he still has plenty in the tank and not going downhill. That said in a market like there is for goalies now, he's not going to return a kings ransom, but some of these proposals have been horrible for Buffalo. Reminder, they will hold onto him and just let him play out his contract given some of these trade proposals

nate1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Stats say differently.
Okay. Allow me to explain for the dense:

Edmonton has a better defense... anyone in the league playing net behind the Myers-Leopold pairing would of been burned consistently. Regehr wasn't much help and the #6 dman - Sulzer was terrible away from Ehrhoff. So when you keep saying stats stats stats and don't realize that Miller was getting beat on goals from 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 quite regularly then you just don't understand how much better Miller is.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:12 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
Nowhere in his blog does Eklund say it would be a straight up trade. This deal could very well happen but EDM fans will not like what else is coming Buffalo's way if this trade does happen. Hemsky will fill a hole in the top 6 so we don't rush any prospects and he is a ufa at the end of the year. Darcy could very easily(if healthy) trade Hemsky at the deadline for another 2nd rounder or b level prospect. This deal is very much a possibility however it will not be straight up, other pieces will be added.
I could understand Edmonton's interest. I would think Hemsky would be included only for cap reasons.

No rebuilding team, trades away a key player for one yr, of an oft injured, high priced vet.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1988 View Post
This trade won't happen for a number of reasons. People really undervalue Miller around here. I know he's no where near his play a couple seasons back, however if you have watched him play at all you would know he still has plenty in the tank and not going downhill. That said in a market like there is for goalies now, he's not going to return a kings ransom, but some of these proposals have been horrible for Buffalo. Reminder, they will hold onto him and just let him play out his contract given some of these trade proposals
No they will never do that, they learned their lesson with Drury and Briere. IF they want the fans on their side, Darcy will get the best he can for Miller regardless of what comes back.

However the article clearly says Hemsky + prospects. If this happened, Hemsky would be a cash dump and we would be getting rid of him next year. We would take Hemsky in favor for Edmonton and in return they would dish us some quality prospects.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post

Edmonton has a better defense... anyone in the league playing net behind the Myers-Leopold pairing would of been burned consistently. Regehr wasn't much help and the #6 dman - Sulzer was terrible away from Ehrhoff. So when you keep saying stats stats stats and don't realize that Miller was getting beat on goals from 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 quite regularly then you just don't understand how much better Miller is.
I love it. Only when it suits a certain argument do the Oilers go from "worst defense in the league" to apparently better than a team who consistently scored 10+ more points than us in the standings in 2011-2012 and 30 (THIRTY) in 2010-2011.

Yeah we get it. You're blowing up your team but our defense has been just as porous as it was in 2010 as it was last year. Hell, having Ehrhoff alone is a substantial improvement over anyone we had.

Either way, No. I don't care about Miller. I know he's a good goaltender. But he's doesn't improve the Oilers enough at this point to warrant sinking $6.2M for the year into him. I happen to have a lot of faith in Dubnyk and he did nothing but impress me last year. The only fans who would want Miller are the ones who also probably complained about Roloson after the cup run. Also known as the "perpetual whiners". There's only one net to man. The only reason MacTavish would want another goaltender here is to challenge Dubnyk to step his game up, much like he has done with the competition within the new D Corp.

I highly doubt Miller wants to come to Edmonton anyway considering he's been in Buffalo. He probably wants to play out the rest of his career at some southern US NHL Retirement Team.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Del McPreston
LOOCH

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post

Oh yeah, that is clearly so much worse than what Dubnyk has had to play behind the past three seasons.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Polls with Eklund as a source need to be flagged from now on.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Oh yeah, that is clearly so much worse than what Dubnyk has had to play behind the past three seasons.
Yeah, names like Potter, Peckham, one-leg Whitney, Teubert, etc, just came to my mind. Hell, 36 year old Andy Sutton was freakin' star compared to what the Oilers had most nights!

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:35 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Dubbie-Miller tandem.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:37 PM
dotcommunism

Buffalo and Edmonton were first and second respectively in shots given up last year, so it's pretty safe to say that both teams were completely terrible defensively. That said, Edmonton's special teams were nowhere near as abysmal and that has an effect that the traditional goaltending stats completely fail to properly account for

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
TorstenFrings
confirmed pessimist

I can see how Hemsky has to go here to kake the salary work for Edmonton. Are the also going to offer some value for Miller?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:01 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
I can see how Hemsky has to go here to kake the salary work for Edmonton. Are the also going to offer some value for Miller?
What's our incentive to?

Old
08-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Trade an injury-prone but solid offensively second-to-third liner for a starting goaltender?

The hell?!
To be fair, he's a legit 1st liner when healthy.

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:06 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Stats say differently.
Dubnyk was in the lowest scoring division in hockey. Miller in the second highest. It's not only easy for a guy who plays against teams that don't score to have better goaltending stats than a guy who plays against teams that do; it's expected.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote