HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Troy Donnay to ELC (3 years, $2.15M, $717k AAV)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2013, 08:25 AM
  #101
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 31,200
vCash: 500
He'll need to fill out. 230+ at least. Should probably be around 250. Best of luck to the kid.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:32 AM
  #102
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
Tyler Myers had pretty bad numbers in junior until the year after he was drafted.

A little surprised Donnay isn't eligible for another draft, but there you go. Will keep an eye on him, I think the wolfpack needed defensemen.

He is from Flint, so the whole "Not tough" thing I'm not entirely buying.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
  #103
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Tyler Myers had pretty bad numbers in junior until the year after he was drafted.

A little surprised Donnay isn't eligible for another draft, but there you go. Will keep an eye on him, I think the wolfpack needed defensemen.

He is from Flint, so the whole "Not tough" thing I'm not entirely buying.
He would be eligible I believe, but he was brought in to the Rangers Development Camp and therfore could be signed. Same goes for Tolchinsky

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
  #104
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
Seems like a longshot. Well "In Gordie we Trust"

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
  #105
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 73,443
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
excellent question. hope he can put on 20lbs.
20? More like 50 or 60.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:05 PM
  #106
NYR713
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Not a bad signing for a long term project. You have to figure he'll have at least 3-5 more years of development where he will fill out into more of an adult body before he sniffs a shot at the big club.

You can never have enough 6'4"+ defensemen in the system. Mcilrath, Noreau, Graves and Donnay are all big boys at different levels of development. If Beuk continues coaching with The Pack, he'll be a great mentor to help these guys reach their highest potential.

NYR713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:04 PM
  #107
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,581
vCash: 500
Finally........



Quote:
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers 29s
#NYR have agreed to terms w/ undrafted FA D-man Troy Donnay, 19, most recently of OHL's Erie Otters. Donnay is 6-foot-7, 195 pounds

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
  #108
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Finally........
See there, he's already put on 10 Lbs. God bless Reg Grant.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:43 PM
  #109
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,432
vCash: 500
amazing how a guy that may never see the light of day as an NHL'er has gotten 4 pages worth of comments.

sllloooooowwwww off-season lol

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:10 PM
  #110
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
See there, he's already put on 10 Lbs. God bless Reg Grant.


Next week he'll be 6'8 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
amazing how a guy that may never see the light of day as an NHL'er has gotten 4 pages worth of comments.

sllloooooowwwww off-season lol
Slow, yes, but 4 pages of opinions is a slow day in NY

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:11 AM
  #111
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You deciphered that from a few youtube videos? Amazing.
What deciphered? He said "it seemed" and asked for other people's opinions...Not exactly exclaiming that he cracked Da Vinci's code now was he?

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
  #112
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
amazing how a guy that may never see the light of day as an NHL'er has gotten 4 pages worth of comments.

sllloooooowwwww off-season lol
He may have earned a contract based on height...He also earned about 3 and half of those pages due to height lol

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 08:27 AM
  #113
ReLyT
Registered User
 
ReLyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
When he first showed up in London. I saw so much Marc Methot in him, and still did see it when we played against him. Skate similar, both struggled to fillout until a certain point. Then exploded. He was stuck on some CRAPPY Otters squads.

Donnay once he gets with some professional people (trainers, nutritionist, etc). Should be able to add the needed weight and turn into yet another sweet UFA find.

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:07 PM
  #114
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads
 
Kris Chreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC/Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 7,452
vCash: 500
He's clinically underweight.

Quote:
Results:
According to your height of 6' 7" your ideal healthy weight is 199 pounds.
That's for a normal man. A pro athlete needs more to maintain a healthy metabolism.


Last edited by Kris Chreider: 08-04-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:36 PM
  #115
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,862
vCash: 500
This guy is gonna need at least 230+

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
  #116
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
He's clinically underweight.



That's for a normal man. A pro athlete needs more to maintain a healthy metabolism.
My friend is 6'3" and about 150. He runs marathons, four or more per year. He's perfectly healthy, far more so than me. He also eats more than anyone I know. He's been incredibly lanky since I met him as an eight year old! Some people are just built differently.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 09:58 PM
  #117
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
My friend is 6'3" and about 150. He runs marathons, four or more per year. He's perfectly healthy, far more so than me. He also eats more than anyone I know. He's been incredibly lanky since I met him as an eight year old! Some people are just built differently.
That's true, but in sports, especially contact sports, its the not being able to achieve hypertrophy (muscle growth, and the strength development that comes with it) can be the death knell for some athletes.

The lack of physical development is a big reason why a kid like Zach Hammil tears up juniors, but can't play with men.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:07 AM
  #118
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
That's true, but in sports, especially contact sports, its the not being able to achieve hypertrophy (muscle growth, and the strength development that comes with it) can be the death knell for some athletes.

The lack of physical development is a big reason why a kid like Zach Hammil tears up juniors, but can't play with men.
You're right. He IS underweight from what we'd expect out of a professional hockey player. However, reading some of the comments here you'd think the kid was emaciated and on his death bed.

I doubt that the team would have extended Donnay an ELC unless they were somewhat confident that he could put on the weight to succeed at the professional level. And honestly, that's not going to be the 50 pounds that some are looking for. If he's 195 now, it's unlikely that he's ever going to weigh in at more than 210 or so. And I think that will be fine.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:07 AM
  #119
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're right. He IS underweight from what we'd expect out of a professional hockey player. However, reading some of the comments here you'd think the kid was emaciated and on his death bed.

I doubt that the team would have extended Donnay an ELC unless they were somewhat confident that he could put on the weight to succeed at the professional level. And honestly, that's not going to be the 50 pounds that some are looking for. If he's 195 now, it's unlikely that he's ever going to weigh in at more than 210 or so. And I think that will be fine.
I think there are so many comments because it is so unusual to see a tall guy be so skinny. I follow the recruiting world for my low-major school in basketball, and even there, it's pretty rare to find a guy with measurables like Donnay's. The 6'7 and taller guys tend to be at least 200 pounds.

From what I've read, I don't really get why they gave him an NHL contract, he seems like too massive of a project to be worth a contract spot at this point. They better at least get Tolchinsky signed, he would actually be worth a contract spot IMO.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:09 AM
  #120
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
When he first showed up in London. I saw so much Marc Methot in him, and still did see it when we played against him. Skate similar, both struggled to fillout until a certain point. Then exploded. He was stuck on some CRAPPY Otters squads.

Donnay once he gets with some professional people (trainers, nutritionist, etc). Should be able to add the needed weight and turn into yet another sweet UFA find.
Thank you very much for some info on him! Very much appreciated

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.