HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Regular Season Begins!

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2013, 09:17 AM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Spiller is most definitely someone who can get 17-21 carries a game. Of course he can't get 25 a game because that's 400 a season which no RB can continually do.

As for Jackson, he sucks. He's done he is already 32 and was on ir the last 2 years. I wouldn't care if we cut him. Marrone isn't Gailey the idiot, he isn't giving Jackson more then 8 carries a game. Spiller is a better runner period. The only thing Jackson has over CJ is pass blocking. Spiller is a top 5 RB Jackson isn't even top 40.
Jackson does not suck. He can still be quite effective in the right situations, and is a better inside runner than Spiller. Don't let your love of Spiller blind you to Jackson's talents.

Besides, it's not necessarily Jackson. Spiller needs another back to spell him a bit. The inside running game is not his strength. Let someone else do that.

Old
08-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Jackson does not suck. He can still be quite effective in the right situations, and is a better inside runner than Spiller. Don't let your love of Spiller blind you to Jackson's talents.

Besides, it's not necessarily Jackson. Spiller needs another back to spell him a bit. The inside running game is not his strength. Let someone else do that.
May not be his strength, but it is no longer a weakness. This isn't 2011 when he thought he could just out run everyone. He did a great job last year running up the middle when he was given the chance.

That being said, I share your sentiment that Freddie is still a very useful back up RB that can be a mid-tier starter if CJ gets injured.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Jgon does not suck. He can still be quite effective in the right situations, and is a better inside runner than Spiller. Don't let your love of Spiller blind you to Jackson's talents.

Fred Jackson is not a better inside runner then CJ Spiller. Spiller can beat 8 in the box and run right through the middle better then nearly everyone with his world class speed and unmatched elusiveness. I get that Jackson was an UDFA from a small school and played indoor football but Jackson's days as a quality rb are over. He is 32 years old which is ancient. Name me 5 quality seasons that a 32 year old RB has put up in the last 20 years. Besides Thomas Jones there aren't any.

If Spiller received the carries he deserved last year instead of just giving them to Fred the Bills would have won 2-3 more games. Going into the last game of the year CJ had a 6.4 ypc. That is an ungodly number and proof that Spiller has superstar potential. He is the ultimate playmaker and can score 3 ways.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:00 AM
whiplash

Jackson was a better inside runner, but CJ passed him last year. Before last season, he didn't know how to pick his spots and hit holes effectively, now it's one of his strongest suits. He was crazy good at getting to the second level and, once there, was nigh unstoppable

Old
08-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Jackson was a better inside runner, but CJ passed him last year. Before last season, he didn't know how to pick his spots and hit holes effectively, now it's one of his strongest suits. He was crazy good at getting to the second level and, once there, was nigh unstoppable
Yup. He has superstar potential. He'll get his chance this year. I just hope he can handle the work load.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Agreed, lots of his big plays started with him inside.

The "CJ's not an inside guy" or "CJ's not a 25 carry a game guy" was just a stereotype applied to him because of his size and athleticism. The guy can do everything, he proved that 'trope wrong last season.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Agreed, lots of his big plays started with him inside.

The "CJ's not an inside guy" or "CJ's not a 25 carry a game guy" was just a stereotype applied to him because of his size and athleticism. The guy can do everything, he proved that 'trope wrong last season.
I think being called a peripheral runner was because of his reluctance before to just take what was given, and instead he continually tried to bounce it outside for a big gain. I still think the Bills need a change of pace guy that can break a tackle or two in those important short down situations as that's not CJ's forte.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Dubi Doo

I'll be going to the training camp tonight. It's the first scrimmage so I'm pretty excited. I'll come back with notes. Players I'll personally be paying extra close attention to:

Manuel
Woods (WR)
Gilmore

Any other suggestions?

Old
08-05-2013, 01:17 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I'll be going to the training camp tonight. It's the first scrimmage so I'm pretty excited. I'll come back with notes. Players I'll personally be paying extra close attention to:

Manuel
Woods (WR)
Gilmore

Any other suggestions?
Alonso

Old
08-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:

Manuel
Woods (WR)
Gilmore

Any other suggestions?
Haven't seen much about Da'Rick Rogers.

Old
08-05-2013, 02:30 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv

Old
08-05-2013, 02:45 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
What just happened

Old
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Jerry Hughes finding Buffalo Bills a better fit after 3 seasons with Indianapolis Colts

Old
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Initial Bills depth chart.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Initial Bills depth chart.

It's quiet an interesting depth chart. First and foremost the defense being listed as a 4-3. Behind Mario at DE are players typically mentioned as OLBs. Behind Carrington at DE is Gilbert who I believe is usually a DT and was recently noted from practice as beating a guard inside. I realize they are going to be "multiple" but initially the expectation was for Pettine to have a base 3-4 defense.

I also think it is odd that they have Byrd at the top of the depth chart. I would have expected and kind of hoped he would be treated as someone that was on the PUP list; on the team but not playing. Give the spot to the players that are signed and giving everything to make the team.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Jay Ross get a lot of playing time. Either filling in for injuries (KWilliams) our from backing Up Dareus. I'm hoping he really pushes Marcell to a new level.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Dubi Doo

The offense started off sloppy. EJ threw two interceptions. McKevlin ran one back for a touchdown. He was sacked a few times. The second team offense scored a few TD's, though.

As the game progressed EJ made some nice plays. He hit Graham deep for a touchdown over Gilmore. They have some chemistry. Goodwin looked amazing. He made a couple real nice plays. Rodgers also looked really good, but he was playing on the second team offense. He ran a deep route and was wide open, but Tuel under threw him. He still made the catch. He just didn't score a touchdown. If that was Manuel throwing that pass it's a touchdown. I didn't really notice Woods. Very excited about the receiving core going forward.

Choice looked good as well.

Dareus and Carrington seem like leaders out there. Woods (G) was also active on the sidelines.

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 08-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old
08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
The offense started off sloppy. EJ threw two interceptions. McKevlin ran one back for a touchdown. He was sacked a few times. The second team offense scored a few TD's, though.

As the game progressed EJ made some nice plays. He hit Graham deep for a touchdown over Gilmore. They have some chemistry. Goodwin looked amazing. He made a couple real nice plays. Rodgers also looked really good, but he was playing on the second team offense. He ran a deep route and was wide open, but Tuel under threw him. He still made the catch. He just didn't score a touchdown. If that was Manuel throwing that pass it's a touchdown. I didn't really notice Woods. Very excited about the receiving core going forward.

Choice looked good as well.

Dareus and Carrington seem like leaders out there. Woods (G) was also active on the sidelines.
I'm really glad to hear you say that, especially about Dareus, who I had (still have) extremely high hopes for coming out of the draft. He was my favorite player in his draft year and is my only current Bills player jersey (I have an old away Poz too).

Old
08-06-2013, 03:47 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Yup. He has superstar potential. He'll get his chance this year. I just hope he can handle the work load.
I just hope they can keep him around come free agent time lol

Old
08-06-2013, 04:12 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

A couple of recent additions...another speedy WR...Terrell Sinkfield. Has been released by a couple teams. Also TE Nick Provo who played for Marrone at Cuse last year.

Old
08-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Nibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
What just happened
I'd like to know too... It looks like he was going to salute and the Marine started screaming at him for it? Idk...

Old
08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
I'd like to know too... It looks like he was going to salute and the Marine started screaming at him for it? Idk...
There's an article I'm too lazy to find but basically Goodwin scored a TD and was making a hushing motion (most likely at the fans, since I think it was an away game for Texas) and the Marine was screaming in defiance. Something like that

Old
08-06-2013, 09:21 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Watch college football y'all, it's great.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Nibbler

Quote:
There's an article I'm too lazy to find but basically Goodwin scored a TD and was making a hushing motion (most likely at the fans, since I think it was an away game for Texas) and the Marine was screaming in defiance. Something like that
Ahh, gotcha. Well in that case, that's pretty awesome haha

Old
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
whiplash

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...throws-up.html

Old
08-07-2013, 12:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Nice paywall

I'm all on board for Spiller getting the ball more, especially if Manuel starts right away. Interesting way of putting it though

Closed Thread