HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things considered, will Price improve this year?

Old
08-05-2013, 03:52 AM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
Outsider weighing in, and a Leafs fan coming in peace.

Price is not the superstar goalie he was proclaimed or projected to be, People like to deflect criticism when one of the favourite players falters, as in many peoples case here, the defense. I'll admit, I'm not a expert when it comes to the Habs, But in my opinion, The defense was solid around Price from what I've seen of them, And imo, Price was a contributing factor as to why the Habs lost in 5 to the Sens in the playoffs.

With that being said, I expect Price to improve this year(Although he pretty much has to). I expect he'll be around his usual mark of about .910-920sv%
Excellent post, don't mind the never ending bashing that is about to ensue.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:18 AM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
Outsider weighing in, and a Leafs fan coming in peace.

Price is not the superstar goalie he was proclaimed or projected to be, People like to deflect criticism when one of the favourite players falters, as in many peoples case here, the defense. I'll admit, I'm not a expert when it comes to the Habs, But in my opinion, The defense was solid around Price from what I've seen of them, And imo, Price was a contributing factor as to why the Habs lost in 5 to the Sens in the playoffs.

With that being said, I expect Price to improve this year(Although he pretty much has to). I expect he'll be around his usual mark of about .910-920sv%
No one did what he was able to do at the same age. He dominated the U20 tournement and the AHL playoff wining the gold medal and the AHL Conn Smythe at 19 years old.
At 20 years old he played 41 NHL games with a .920 save pourcentage.
What you are saying is that he had plateau at around 20 years of age, which makes no sense.
At 23 years old, he played 72 games with a .923 save pourcentage.
Only an elite goaltender could have done what he has been able to acheived.
The best has yet to come.
Don't be only influence by last year season/playoff.

Last edited by ProspectsFanatic: 08-05-2013 at 04:23 AM.
ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:36 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
No one did what he was able to do at the same age. He dominated the U20 tournement and the AHL playoff wining the gold medal and the AHL Conn Smythe at 19 years old.
At 20 years old he played 41 NHL games with a .920 save pourcentage.
What you are saying is that he had plateau at around 20 years of age, which makes no sense.
At 23 years old, he played 72 games with a .923 save pourcentage.
Only an elite goaltender could have done what he has been able to acheived.
The best has yet to come.
Don't be only influence by last year season/playoff.
Accolades outside of the NHL are 100% irrelevant at this point. Plenty of goalies put up elite numbers for one NHL season.

Old
08-05-2013, 04:43 AM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Accolades outside of the NHL are 100% irrelevant at this point. Plenty of goalies put up elite numbers for one NHL season.
Wtf is this? No it isn't irrelevant that Price was the youngest goalie ever to win the Conn Smythe AHL trophy. And yes plenty of goalies put up elite numbers for one NHL season, but no one(or almost no one) did it as early as Carey Price. Those facts are freaking relevant in projecting a player in the future.

ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 06:17 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Wtf is this? No it isn't irrelevant that Price was the youngest goalie ever to win the Conn Smythe AHL trophy. And yes plenty of goalies put up elite numbers for one NHL season, but no one(or almost no one) did it as early as Carey Price. Those facts are freaking relevant in projecting a player in the future.
Nope, not when said player is 26 years old with 6 seasons under his belt. What he did 7 or 8 or 9 years ago is totally irrelevant. Carey can no longer hide behind his pre-nhl career/draft position. It's time to translate those to the NHL level. If he has another underwhelming season it's more than likely that Carey is just another average goalie.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
mark24

I think price can be much, much more than an average goaltender.

mark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:35 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball75 View Post
He had a good year up until the last ten games and the playoffs. Maybe he was injured I don't know but what i do know is watching them protect the lead for the third was very frustrating. A better effort clearing the net would help and his new goalie coach not trying to change his style will help. Not to mention keeping DD on the bench when he plays like crap will help
By what Price said, he had a groin injury all season but it really started to bother him at the end of the season, last ten games or so. By what some ex goalies told me, those type of injuries make it nearly impossible to properly close the five hole, which if you look at the weak goals Price let in, seems to support this reasoning and timing.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I don't see how anyone thinks he was a reason we lost vs OTT. He was great in 2 games and average in the other 2.
You're setting your standards very low when "average" is acceptable in the playoffs. Yes, every goalie has a bad goal or a bad game, but the playoffs are about relentless, focused, consistent excellence. Flashes of elite do not equal elite.

I'm as optimistic as anyone about Price's future, but I won't make excuses for his erratic past.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:47 AM
NH57
That's Right Coach T

If Stephane Waite can turn Antti Niemi and Corey Crawford into star goaltendera, just imagine what he can do with Price, who has the talent to be one of the league's best. I think he'll have a good year, but I agree, we need a big, crease-clearing defenseman to help him out in front of the net.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:47 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I think he's going to have a strong season. Were he can improve is play more consistantly, he was doing good most year then his performance dropped like a rock in the last weeks.

Stats wise if he does worse then we should ask serious questions but he rightfully deserves the chance to rebound.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
You're setting your standards very low when "average" is acceptable in the playoffs. Yes, every goalie has a bad goal or a bad game, but the playoffs are about relentless, focused, consistent excellence. Flashes of elite do not equal elite.

I'm as optimistic as anyone about Price's future, but I won't make excuses for his erratic past.
He could've been better. But he was better than folks have made it out to be.

Our team didn't go to the net. Ottawa's did. That's pretty much the story of the playoffs and it has been for a long time. The teams that win are the ones who go to the net and pay the price. Chicago wasn't looking good until Toews remembered that he had to go to the net. Once he did, the Bruins crumbled. But Toews paid the price. He was beaten up pretty bad out there. You have to be willing to pay the price and our team needs to learn this. Price is the least of our worries.

When you don't go to the net or make teams pay the price for standing in front of yours, you aren't going to win. Price is a great goalie who usually is able to make the first save but our team doesn't help him out at all. A guy like Rask will make a great save and the rebound will come out and his team is all over it. Price doesn't have this kind of support. He makes the save and if there's any kind of rebound he's on his own.

He had a rough stretch at the end of the year where he was bad. But we did nothing to help this guy out. Sometimes your goalie needs to be bailed out too and we don't do this for him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:55 AM
PunkinDrublic*

In the later part of the season he was injured and played through it. **** happens.
But he better be ready for the power house that is the Leafs.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
MXD

Prive wasn't as bad aa his stats indicated last season. But he wasn't good enough to justify a 6+ M salary. Did he play through an injury? Yeah. All season? Not sure.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

A new goalie coach and perhaps a trip to see Lars' psychologist might do wonders for Price. No doubt he has the abilities to be a top 3 goalie in the league. Just has to keep it all together.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
A new goalie coach and perhaps a trip to see Lars' psychologist might do wonders for Price. No doubt he has the abilities to be a top 3 goalie in the league. Just has to keep it all together.
I think he's good enough already. We don't need a top 3 goalie to be successful, I just don't see it. I don't think he has top 3 talent. He's not our biggest concern at all, but I don't see him ever having sustained play as a top 5 goalie.

To me, he's already got way too much experience to expect changes like that. Agree on the psychologist though.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I think he's good enough already. We don't need a top 3 goalie to be successful, I just don't see it. I don't think he has top 3 talent. He's not our biggest concern at all, but I don't see him ever having sustained play as a top 5 goalie.

To me, he's already got way too much experience to expect changes like that. Agree on the psychologist though.
Put him on a club like Boston and he'd have top 3 goalie stats for sure. The D makes a huge difference.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:23 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Put him on a club like Boston and he'd have top 3 goalie stats for sure. The D makes a huge difference.
Agreed, our D is not there yet...we need another Emelin type of guy...who only makes 1.5M...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:45 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
I don't agree, and it's definitely not for sure.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Rask and Thomas put up identical stats behind that defense.
Their back up had a .920 save percentage.

If you don't agree, then thats mind boggling.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

He needs another Paul Mara crease clearing D man type in-front of him if he ever wants to see success. Emelin is a good start.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Lshap

Quote:
He could've been better. But he was better than folks have made it out to be.

Our team didn't go to the net. Ottawa's did. That's pretty much the story of the playoffs and it has been for a long time. The teams that win are the ones who go to the net and pay the price. Chicago wasn't looking good until Toews remembered that he had to go to the net. Once he did, the Bruins crumbled. But Toews paid the price. He was beaten up pretty bad out there. You have to be willing to pay the price and our team needs to learn this. Price is the least of our worries.

When you don't go to the net or make teams pay the price for standing in front of yours, you aren't going to win. Price is a great goalie who usually is able to make the first save but our team doesn't help him out at all. A guy like Rask will make a great save and the rebound will come out and his team is all over it. Price doesn't have this kind of support. He makes the save and if there's any kind of rebound he's on his own.

He had a rough stretch at the end of the year where he was bad. But we did nothing to help this guy out. Sometimes your goalie needs to be bailed out too and we don't do this for him.
Truthfully, I don't know what I was seeing during those five playoff games. It was like a Carey Price Tasting Menu. Game-one was "Good Price"; game-two was "Great Price"; game-three was "Bad Price" and game-four was "Hung-Out-To-Dry Price". Whichever Price you want to see was on display like a psychological buffet table.

You're right that Price wasn't bailed out, but he didn't bail out the team in return. Call it even. It was a badly-injured, under-disciplined performance by all. Luckily, I don't think it counts nearly as much as our most pessimistic fans do, or the bug-eyed Sens fans who like to re-live that one good week.

I'm more concerned about Price's pre-playoff stretch in April when he couldn't right himself. I understand a bad game; I don't understand almost a month of bad games. We see how some players and teams are mediocre leading up to the playoffs and then find an extra gear when the stakes are high. It proves how much of this game is mental. I want Price to find his mental toughness again, as he did in 2011 against Boston, but then not lose it so easily like misplacing your car keys. I can't simply shrug away so many weak mental games.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
I spewed my cheerios. Such hatred for a player must me only one thing....he stole you're girl right ?

And a true fan never hates any player on his or her team. And yes this includes DD

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Before his crash late in the year his numbers over this year and the previous two stacked up with the best goalies in the league while playing more games than anyone not named Rinne and had done so on mostly terrible teams.

Rask is a great goalie but sits behind the best D in the league. He actually lost his starting job a couple of years ago playing pretty poorly. Dude, if you don't think that Zedeno Chara in front of your net helps you, there's no convincing you.
Quote:
Truthfully, I don't know what I was seeing during those five playoff games. It was like a Carey Price Tasting Menu. Game-one was "Good Price"; game-two was "Great Price"; game-three was "Bad Price" and game-four was "Hung-Out-To-Dry Price". Whichever Price you want to see was on display like a psychological buffet table.

You're right that Price wasn't bailed out, but he didn't bail out the team in return. Call it even. It was a badly-injured, under-disciplined performance by all. Luckily, I don't think it counts nearly as much as our most pessimistic fans do, or the bug-eyed Sens fans who like to re-live that one good week.
I don't agree on that point. He bailed out his team several times but was left out to dry. How many times can you bail out your team before the inevitable happens?

The difference in that series was them going to the net, us not protecting ours and us not going to their net. You have to simplify your game in the playoffs and we didn't do this. We never do this and it's killed us.

Price could've been better but I thought that he deserved much better than what he got. And if he doesn't get hurt and we pull out that win it's an even series. We might've even managed to get to the 2nd round.

Once he went down... that was.
Quote:
I'm more concerned about Price's pre-playoff stretch in April when he couldn't right himself. I understand a bad game; I don't understand almost a month of bad games. We see how some players and teams are mediocre leading up to the playoffs and then find an extra gear when the stakes are high. It proves how much of this game is mental. I want Price to find his mental toughness again, as he did in 2011 against Boston, but then not lose it so easily like misplacing your car keys. I can't simply shrug away so many weak mental games.
I don't understand it either. He wasn't good and at times was terrible. He needs to get off to a good start this year and we'll be fine. If he struggles, it's going to be bad because it seems like there's a group of people out there actually hoping for him to fail.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:25 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Rask and Thomas put up identical stats behind that defense.
Their back up had a .920 save percentage.

If you don't agree, then thats mind boggling.
Not really, rask and thomas are very different than price.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
I spewed my cheerios. Such hatred for a player must me only one thing....he stole you're girl right ?

And a true fan never hates any player on his or her team. And yes this includes DD
Being critical and judging a player based on his performance does != hatred. Thanks for the stupid crack, but it wasn't even funny. I do not hate Price at all, or DD.