HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roman Josiís Extension: Bargain of a Benchmark (THW)

Old
08-05-2013, 01:15 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Roman Josiís Extension: Bargain of a Benchmark (THW)

Quote:
Roman Josiís 7 year, 28 million dollar extension has been a guiding light for every GM this summer with a good young defenseman to re-sign, and Ė despite the slew of restricted free agents culled from the market since Ė has remained one of the best contracts under the new CBA. For starters, the extension is such a wickedly smart deal because Josi already fills the role heís being paid for. Even if the 23 year old Swiss defensemanís development doesnít take a single step forward in the next seven years, the kid is already a top pairing blueliner Ė one Shea Weber plays better with than without Ė capable of logging upwards of 20 minutes a night and facing off against opposing top lines.
http://thehockeywriters.com/roman-jo...f-a-benchmark/

Hello all. This week, I took a look at how Roman Josi's extension defined the summer's RFA defenseman market, and how excellent a deal it was given the rest of Nashville's salary structure.

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated, from compliments to tearing apart typos that somehow made it through to publishing.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Couldn't agree more, the only little complaint I had about this contract (nit picking, and I know) ... was hoping it was for a half a mil more/year & the full max (8 x 4.5/year) would've been brilliant contract as well!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
SavageSteve

Seems like a pretty fair piece and delves a bit into how Poile essentially muddied the waters for an old foe in the Blues with extending Pietrangelo long-term. GMDP will never forget the Scott Stevens deal and how it messed up his world in DC... I've also heard Poile say in person how much he likes sticking it to the Blues too (after plucking Svatos off of re-entry waivers from the KHL after StL negotiated the contract)!

One thing that the article doesn't hit upon is Josi's early injury history and his desire for security rather than the gamble of hitting it big as a UFA at 27 (http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...long-term-deal). If Josi remains healthy and plays out the contract, he's a huge bargain. If he has to be bought-out later, the cap hit likely is not that big either. It also would've had set up Josi having his injury history used against him at arbitration, which given the hard feelings that could produce, it seems cooler heads prevailed and worked out an equitable arrangement.

Otherwise a pretty fair piece.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:06 PM
preds1

vCash: 605
Well written and definitely agree.

Not easy to fill the void left by what's his name next to Weber, but did a tremendous job imo and will get even better.
Glad he's tied up for 7 more, one of my favorites along with Rinne and Weber.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Seems like a pretty fair piece and delves a bit into how Poile essentially muddied the waters for an old foe in the Blues with extending Pietrangelo long-term. GMDP will never forget the Scott Stevens deal and how it messed up his world in DC... I've also heard Poile say in person how much he likes sticking it to the Blues too (after plucking Svatos off of re-entry waivers from the KHL after StL negotiated the contract)!
Note to self, do entire piece on the history of DP screwing over the Blues. Sounds like a ton of fun from a research standpoint alone.

Quote:
One thing that the article doesn't hit upon is Josi's early injury history and his desire for security rather than the gamble of hitting it big as a UFA at 27 (http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...long-term-deal). If Josi remains healthy and plays out the contract, he's a huge bargain. If he has to be bought-out later, the cap hit likely is not that big either. It also would've had set up Josi having his injury history used against him at arbitration, which given the hard feelings that could produce, it seems cooler heads prevailed and worked out an equitable arrangement.
Good looks. I'm not kicking myself a ton over not bringing it up though because his healthier comparables didn't seem intent on bringing it up in their negotiations. McDonagh got slightly more because he's the best defenseman on his team, Voynov got more because of his playoff run.

Quote:
Otherwise a pretty fair piece.
Thanks man. Given our back and fourth last time, it means a lot.

Old
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Note to self, do entire piece on the history of DP screwing over the Blues. Sounds like a ton of fun from a research standpoint alone.

Good looks. I'm not kicking myself a ton over not bringing it up though because his healthier comparables didn't seem intent on bringing it up in their negotiations. McDonagh got slightly more because he's the best defenseman on his team, Voynov got more because of his playoff run.

Thanks man. Given our back and fourth last time, it means a lot.
We stand up for uour boys; but we do TRY to be somewhat fair!!

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 650
I was one of the harsher critics of your last piece and I must say this one is a much more solid read. Well thought out and well researched, excellent points about the effect of the contract on other teams.

only criticism is why you chose to call Rinne's contract "painfully market value"

At the time Rinnes deal was signed Poile was trying to prove to Weber and Suter that he would pay what it took to sign the good players. Could Poile have squeezed a half mil or so off the deal he gave Rinne? Maybe, but the risk of appearing to be a cheapskate to Weber and Suter was not worth the small amount of money he might have saved had he played hardball with Rinne.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Yes, yes, and yes. When that extension hit the wires, I was ecstatic.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:26 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
only criticism is why you chose to call Rinne's contract "painfully market value"

At the time Rinnes deal was signed Poile was trying to prove to Weber and Suter that he would pay what it took to sign the good players. Could Poile have squeezed a half mil or so off the deal he gave Rinne? Maybe, but the risk of appearing to be a cheapskate to Weber and Suter was not worth the small amount of money he might have saved had he played hardball with Rinne.
Right, hence my use of "painfully market value." Rinne pretty much has to win a Vezina to make his contract any sort of bargain, but it's not much of an overpayment either, and negotiations were heavily dictated by circumstance.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Right, hence my use of "painfully market value." Rinne pretty much has to win a Vezina to make his contract any sort of bargain, but it's not much of an overpayment either, and negotiations were heavily dictated by circumstance.
Which will never happen with him playing in Nashville, like Weber and the Norris. Those who vote on these awards will never vote for a Nashville player due to the lack of league wide coverage that most of the other teams get.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
torero

I read the article about Josi and do not believe that he should be looked at with the perspective of a money hunter trying to secure years because the opportunity is their and he is scared with his health.

Hence :"Painful past prompts Josi to secure future with long-term deal" is a very simple interpretation and does not correspond to my understanding of whom he is.

This reason is certainly part of the balance of what to do, but is certainly not the main and only reason he would take that deal.
1st ... is he really injury prone ? 1 concussion and 1 broken wrist ? **** happens ... no reason to project it eternally. I am convinced that if he would feel that he had health problems, he would come back to Switzerland ... play calmly in the Swiss league ... and still get a good salary for at least 15 years. So he would make his 0,5 to 1 mio/yr after taxes. Enough to live very well all his life.

I do rather view him as a much smarter person that would be more family oriented than $ oriented. He made a choice according to this, knowing that he would still be in his 30's after this contract and able to get another, maybe and probably higher contract than this one. He knows that by staying in the same place, people will invest in him and he will invest in them.

Ties and stability are more important to him than immediat $ reward and cold blooded security bet.
He was born in Bern, played for Bern, always stayed their. Nashville is his second team in his life ! (he was lent a couple of games to another team being 18)

He comes from a land (Bern region) where love for the land of his parents exists. Respect for relationships are higher than $ ! Not for nothing that he tried to arrange an opportunity for the Preds and for Simon Moser to come over. Moser is from Bern as well and other NHL teams were interested in him.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote