HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

**2012-2013 Victoria Royals Offseason Thread**

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2013, 01:39 AM
  #1
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
**2012-2013 Victoria Royals Offseason Thread**

Out: Jamie Crooks (OA), Tyler Stahl (OA), Alex Gogolev (OA)

- The team has 5 20 year olds next season, B. Walker, Nelson, Fransoo, Deacon and Traber they can only keep three. The obvious choice in my opinion is to keep Walker, Nelly and Fransoo. Traber is heading of to Switzerland to play next season and Deacon i'm not sure of.
- The six 19 year olds, Magee, Hodges, Carroll, Cote, Polivka and Lofthouse are what the Royals are counting on to make a big push and all these guys must have career years. Could also be the last shot for Magee, Cote, Carroll and Polivka to make an impact on scouts eyes.
- Seven 18 year olds are possibly coming back Crunk, Fisher, Harrison, Kanzig, Dixon, Schacher and Vollrath. The majority of these guys are role players but will continue to improve as they enter this season.
- Four 17 year olds come back with Fushimi, Hicketts, Gagnon and Jack Walker, all three will enter their draft year and have high hopes of impressing NHL teams.
- The rookies in my opinion looking to enter a spot on the team are Tyler Soy (Played with the team in the playoffs, looked excellent for a 15 year old, played like a veteran.) Some other options are Regan Nagy, Chaz Reddekopp and Matthew Campese who all played games for the Royals this season. They may not replace the likes of Crooks and Stahl, but they all have very bright futures ahead.

Forwards (14):
Ben Walker (93)
Logan Nelson (93)
Brandon Magee (94)
Steven Hodges (94)
Austin Carroll (94)
Trent Lofthouse (94)
Taylor Crunk (95)
Logan Fisher (95)
Luke Harrison (95)
Brandon Fushimi (96)
Jack Walker (F/D) (96)
Tyler Soy (97)
Regan Nagy (97)
Matthew Campese (97)

Defense (8):
Jordan Fransoo (93)
Brett Cote (94)
Keegan Kanzig (95)
Kolton Dixon (95)
Isaac Schacher (95)
Ryan Gagnon (96)
Joe Hicketts (96)
Chaz Reddekopp (97)

Goaltenders (3):
Patrik Polivka (94)
Coleman Vollrath (95)
Michael Herringer (96)


Last edited by Jamie Benn: 08-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 04:12 AM
  #2
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
So long Deacon and Traber.

Looking forward to Nelson, Hodges, Magee, Carroll and Cote step into Veteran roles.

I would have a howl if Cote is given the captaincy next season.

My money is on Magee or Fransoo.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
  #3
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...054158234.html

Based on this rule I'm not sure if that means there will be no CHL Import goalies?


Last edited by Jamie Benn: 06-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:16 PM
  #4
Zola
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Deacon and Traber gone for sure. Excited to see what we can do with all this returning experienced explosive talent and some solid rookies.

Zola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:28 AM
  #5
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola View Post
Deacon and Traber gone for sure. Excited to see what we can do with all this returning experienced explosive talent and some solid rookies.
Not a surprise, and Logan Nelson has been extremely noticeable at the Sabres camp, which is excellent news to hear.

Even better to hear that the big man Kanzig has been impressing Flames fan and is bringing more to the table then what Flames and even Royals fans expected!

If both these guys keep up the good work, especially Kanzig, we could have some major improvements moving forward. The Royals drafted an Import in Jiri Fronk, since Gogolev is gone, but from what I've read, is nothing but an energy player with some skill. Nothing compared to what Alex brought to the table last year.

Hicketts gets recognition by central scouting as a player to watch, and for a good reason. Kids an excellent player, nothing but positives going into next season.

Plus I've heard that scouts are going to be drooling over our 97's.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
  #6
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
No Gogo next year

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:56 PM
  #7
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Like I precdicted, Deacon and Traber go on waivers.

Traber claimed by the Giants and Deacon clears.

Which leaves Fransoo, B. Walker and Nelson. Marlon Martens said that Nelson might have a chance at signing a pro contract, I think one more year in the dub would be appropriate.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:43 PM
  #8
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
I think the odds of Nelson leaving are pretty slim. Will certainly miss Traber's physicality and willingness to stick up for his teammates, but, obviously, skill trumps intangibles.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:18 PM
  #9
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,254
vCash: 233
Asst. GM Kevin Devine said the Sabres will use Traverse City and camp to evaluate whether or not it's in their best interest to sign Logan Nelson to an ELC (aka Rochester-AHL) or to return him to Victoria for an overage year. [LINK]

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
  #10
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Asst. GM Kevin Devine said the Sabres will use Traverse City and camp to evaluate whether or not it's in their best interest to sign Logan Nelson to an ELC (aka Rochester-AHL) or to return him to Victoria for an overage year. [LINK]
Man if they lose Nelson that would be huge loss for the Royals.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  #11
brian11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
I think the odds of Nelson leaving are pretty slim. Will certainly miss Traber's physicality and willingness to stick up for his teammates, but, obviously, skill trumps intangibles.
I was disappointed to see him go, although at his age it is inevidable. He set the ton for the team in terms of team toughness, I've appreciated how the Royals don't get pushed around and Traber was a big part of that. Hopefully someone else steps up in that department.

But if it was a choice between Fransoo going and Traber, I'd actually keep Traber. Other than the first ncouple months when Fransoo arrived in Victoria, I haven't been impressed at all in his game.

brian11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 04:15 PM
  #12
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian11 View Post
I was disappointed to see him go, although at his age it is inevidable. He set the ton for the team in terms of team toughness, I've appreciated how the Royals don't get pushed around and Traber was a big part of that. Hopefully someone else steps up in that department.

But if it was a choice between Fransoo going and Traber, I'd actually keep Traber. Other than the first ncouple months when Fransoo arrived in Victoria, I haven't been impressed at all in his game.
He's been the Royals best defenseman, next to Hicketts and Cote. He also wore the C whenever Stahl was injured.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 04:22 PM
  #13
brian11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
He's been the Royals best defenseman, next to Hicketts and Cote. He also wore the C whenever Stahl was injured.
Yeah, I know he wore the C. I'd disagree that he was their best D man other than Hicketts and Cote - I thought he played quite poorly for most of the season other than after the short period of time after he was scratched early in the season. I thought both Kanzig and Dixon played better. By the end of last season he was playing like Rintoul was the year before.

Anyways, I hope being a year older with help him.

brian11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:56 PM
  #14
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian11 View Post
I was disappointed to see him go, although at his age it is inevidable. He set the ton for the team in terms of team toughness, I've appreciated how the Royals don't get pushed around and Traber was a big part of that. Hopefully someone else steps up in that department.
I hear what you are saying. Although with the likes of Kanzig and Carroll still on the team the Royals will be more than fine in the toughness department.

Hordichuk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 08:40 AM
  #15
brian11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24 View Post
I hear what you are saying. Although with the likes of Kanzig and Carroll still on the team the Royals will be more than fine in the toughness department.
Yeah, that's true. And there were others who were willing to drop them every once in a while, perhaps being a year older those guys will be a bit more confident and willing to step up. Just off the top of my head, Crunk and Dixon showed toughness at times. I remember a few games where it looked like Dixon had lost his mind and if he wasn't a beanpole he would have been a menace out there. Either way, I think the Royals will be fine in this area of their game.

brian11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 08:01 PM
  #16
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian11 View Post
Yeah, that's true. And there were others who were willing to drop them every once in a while, perhaps being a year older those guys will be a bit more confident and willing to step up. Just off the top of my head, Crunk and Dixon showed toughness at times. I remember a few games where it looked like Dixon had lost his mind and if he wasn't a beanpole he would have been a menace out there. Either way, I think the Royals will be fine in this area of their game.
Even though I'm a Giants fan I love the way the Royals play. A hard, mean in your face kind of style. Exactly my type of hockey. That's how the Giants used to play what seems like ages ago.

Anyway my point being there is still plenty of grit and toughness on the team without Traber. So I don't think it'll hurt the Royals much (if at all). There is no guarantee Traber will even be in the WHL this season. He is trying to get a contract overseas to play in the Swiss pro league.

Hordichuk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:32 PM
  #17
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Carroll, Dixon, Kanzig and Crunk will take care of buisness this year.

Most likely Kanzig and Dixon. But this group is looking good, I might say Reddekopp and Soy make the team from camp.


Nelson - Hodges - Magee
J. Walker - Walker - Carroll
Lofthouse - Soy - Fushimi
Crunk - Fisher - Harrison
Fronk (if he reports)

Hicketts - Fransoo
Kanzig - Dixon/Schacher
Cote - Gagnon
Dixon/Schacher - Reddekopp

Polivka
Vollrath

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:39 AM
  #18
Xav
BoVat Horseman
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
Can't wait to see Hicketts play top pairing minutes. Stoked on Chaz and Soy as well.

Hope I can make it in Victoria and watch some games this semester.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 05:09 AM
  #19
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
Excited about this season, I could see us pushing 6th maybe even 5th seed if we can stay healthy and consistent.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 07:55 PM
  #20
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
Royals signed Matthew Phillips (98) and Ralph Jarratt (98) to contracts recently. Even though Phillips is just 5'6 130, he has some really slick hands on him. If he can improve his size and strength on the puck, he's going to be good in the coming year or two.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
  #21
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Royals added Landon Welykholowa, Jared Dmytriw and Matthew Dykstra as well as Phillips to the preseason lineup.

I can maybe see Welykhowlowa and Dykstra challenge for sports. Dykstra a much more physical player so I could see him sticking around.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 09:50 PM
  #22
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
Matthew Phillips had a goal in today's preseason game against the Thunderbirds. With a bit more size, this kid could be unreal. Alexander Delnov had a hat-trick and Matthew Barzal tied the game with 2:32 left and scored the shootout winner for Seattle in a 6-5 loss for the Royals. Hicketts also had 2A.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:13 PM
  #23
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
New Article on how Tyler Soy and Joe Hicketts will make an impact on the Royals next season.

http://theroyalskingdom.blogspot.ca/...ke-impact.html

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:43 PM
  #24
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,138
vCash: 500
Appreciate the time and effort.

A few things: Hicketts already played for the Hlinka team, I'm assuming you meant the U18-World Championships usually played during the CHL playoffs. I think Victoria will make the 2nd round of the playoffs, so I doubt he's there.

At his height, the 1st round is an extreme longshot. Even a guy like Jordan Subban, who is quite a bit flashier as well as bigger, fell to the 4th round this past year.

I think he's a fantastic CHL player, who would be a top 15 pick at even 5'10", but the recent Hockey Canada height measurement of 5'7" is going to severely handicap his shot of going too high.

Late 2nd, early 3rd is still an option.

I thought he was the best Royal in each game I watched last season, and showed his ability to defend top players by locking down Portland's top line along with Fransoo.

Excited to catch a few more Royals games this year, awaiting my daughters hockey schedule to come out so I'll know which games I'll get to travel down to Vic for.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 06:33 PM
  #25
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Appreciate the time and effort.

A few things: Hicketts already played for the Hlinka team, I'm assuming you meant the U18-World Championships usually played during the CHL playoffs. I think Victoria will make the 2nd round of the playoffs, so I doubt he's there.

At his height, the 1st round is an extreme longshot. Even a guy like Jordan Subban, who is quite a bit flashier as well as bigger, fell to the 4th round this past year.

I think he's a fantastic CHL player, who would be a top 15 pick at even 5'10", but the recent Hockey Canada height measurement of 5'7" is going to severely handicap his shot of going too high.

Late 2nd, early 3rd is still an option.

I thought he was the best Royal in each game I watched last season, and showed his ability to defend top players by locking down Portland's top line along with Fransoo.

Excited to catch a few more Royals games this year, awaiting my daughters hockey schedule to come out so I'll know which games I'll get to travel down to Vic for.
I agree, but I'm going on what I believe he should go, not what the scouts say.

And yes, but I'm just saying if the CHL doesn't get in the way, he'd make the team.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.