HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Armchair GM Thread Part VI

Old
08-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Man in the Mirror

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
Lets offer sheet Omark.
I wouldn't mind giving him a chance.

He could fill in as a playmaking winger on couture's line or pavelski's line until havlat is healthy.

plus we need more creativity in our lineup, most of our forwards are predictable

Last edited by Man in the Mirror: 08-05-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Man in the Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Weastern Bias
Patrick Starleau

If I'm not mistaken, we're gonna need to send somebody down when Havlat is healthy in order to be cap compliant, right?

So who do we send down?

Weastern Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchdrummer267 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, we're gonna need to send somebody down when Havlat is healthy in order to be cap compliant, right?

So who do we send down?
Hopefully Burish, but I'm guessing it will be Hertl unless he plays like a superstar.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Hopefully Burish, but I'm guessing it will be Hertl unless he plays like a superstar.
I'm betting they'll trade someone, Demers, Sheppard, Wingels, and we'll all be pissed.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm betting they'll trade someone, Demers, Sheppard, Wingels, and we'll all be pissed.
demers makes the most sense since we actually have some form of defensive depth.

boyle
vlasic
stuart
braun
irwin
demers
hannan
tennyson

for 6 spots

vs.
couture
marleau
thornton
burns
pavs
kennedy
torres
sheppard
wingels
desjardins
burish
hertl
~nieto
~kearns

for 12 spots

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
demers makes the most sense since we actually have some form of defensive depth.

boyle
vlasic
stuart
braun
irwin
demers
hannan
tennyson

for 6 spots

vs.
couture
marleau
thornton
burns
pavs
kennedy
torres
sheppard
wingels
desjardins
burish
hertl
~nieto
~kearns

for 12 spots
Sure, but you never know with this team

Old
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

don't forget IR. 1) Havlat will be out likely at the start of the season. 2) chances are good another player will be hurt and or
put on IR also.

I think Tennyson will start the year in the AHL

Hertl has not made the team just yet, My gut tells me he'll start the season in the AHL and if he does good, we'll see him the last half of the season.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchdrummer267 View Post

So who do we send down?
If hertl plays well it has to be Burish waivers first if we're lucky he gets picked up. If not hrs in Worcester and were good. I feel like Burish has more to give but this is his last shot. 1 goal isn't cutting it I want to see him get ten. Wingels needs to step up as well. Looks like he will once again be playing a top 9 role possibly top 6 at times. He needs to score at least 15 this year otherwise I would like to see someone else take his spot

hockfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:14 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
don't forget IR. 1) Havlat will be out likely at the start of the season. 2) chances are good another player will be hurt and or
put on IR also.

I think Tennyson will start the year in the AHL

Hertl has not made the team just yet, My gut tells me he'll start the season in the AHL and if he does good, we'll see him the last half of the season.
Your gut is incorrect with the lack of depth we have of forwards and havlat out. I would be absolutely shocked if hertl isn't on the opening night roster. Now as for what he will produce? That remains to be seen

Old
08-05-2013, 07:21 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
Your gut is incorrect with the lack of depth we have of forwards and havlat out. I would be absolutely shocked if hertl isn't on the opening night roster. Now as for what he will produce? That remains to be seen
You have no way of knowing if my gut is incorrect with all due respect. We are speculating at this point, he'll have to make the team during training camp, this is the only "for sure" thing with him at this point. We'll have to see in early October.

He'll have to produce at some level to stay in the line up, doubt he'll see 4th line minutes when he could get more in the AHL.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
hockeyball

I'm going to go ahead and say that if Hertl isn't good enough to make the roster, and Nieto (or someone out of the blue) doesn't surprise and make the team, we will have another mediocre season completely dependent on a deadline acquisition which will more than likely not cut it.

If Kennedy or Torres play in the top-6 the majority of the season, we won't win the cup, essentially. Not only do we need Hertl to play in the top-6 (as it stands) but we need him to produce in the 50p range his rookie season. Which is asking a lot.

With Havlat being totally unreliable, and Pavelski likely playing 3rd line center (and if he's not our 3rd line, without Hertl, would be seriously impacted) we are short 2 top-6 forwards. I know there is all this optimism about Torres, Kennedy, and Wingels but frankly none of them belong in a cup contenders top-6. They need to play where they belong for us to win and to do that Hertl, or someone, needs to fill a top-6 role AND Havlat needs to be healthy when it matters.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:32 PM
do0glas

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and say that if Hertl isn't good enough to make the roster, and Nieto (or someone out of the blue) doesn't surprise and make the team, we will have another mediocre season completely dependent on a deadline acquisition which will more than likely not cut it.

If Kennedy or Torres play in the top-6 the majority of the season, we won't win the cup, essentially. Not only do we need Hertl to play in the top-6 (as it stands) but we need him to produce in the 50p range his rookie season. Which is asking a lot.

With Havlat being totally unreliable, and Pavelski likely playing 3rd line center (and if he's not our 3rd line, without Hertl, would be seriously impacted) we are short 2 top-6 forwards. I know there is all this optimism about Torres, Kennedy, and Wingels but frankly none of them belong in a cup contenders top-6. They need to play where they belong for us to win and to do that Hertl, or someone, needs to fill a top-6 role AND Havlat needs to be healthy when it matters.
i have zero illusions about us winning the cup. this coming season i am more concerned about the transition from boyle/thornton and developing nieto/hertl in order to maximize their potential at the NHL level.

and honestly, i would rather fall OUT of the playoff race if we are a bubble team. because we will never have a turn around like the kings, our bubble status will likely have an underlying current to it that wont be fixed in the stretch.

give us a small chance at the lottery pick, an at least be higher than 20 next year.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Would you really get worked up if the Sharks traded any of those three?

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:46 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
So by deadline acquisition you mean a third liner? And with that we will go 7 in round 2. That isn't mediocre.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Weastern Bias
Patrick Starleau

I wouldn't be that surprised to see a minor trade (Demers, Wingles types) early on if we start the season slowly

I wonder if the org would actually have it in them to waive Burrish. I don't see it happening, but it would be wonderful

Weastern Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:05 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:
You have no way of knowing if my gut is incorrect with all due respect. We are speculating at this point, he'll have to make the team during training camp, this is the only "for sure" thing with him at this point. We'll have to see in early October.

He'll have to produce at some level to stay in the line up, doubt he'll see 4th line minutes when he could get more in the AHL.
Unless he flops on his face in training camp he will be on the roster. Which i doubt. The organization has all but said he is a shoe in. He doesn't have much competition sadly and we have no other options. To go with your second statement I agree, as I said earlier. If hertl isn't playing a top 9 role I would much rather see him in ahl then play 4th line mins

Last edited by hockfan1991: 08-05-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old
08-05-2013, 11:11 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Unless he flops on his face in training camp he will be on the roster. Which i doubt. The organization has all but said he is a shoe in. He doesn't have much competition sadly and we have no other options. To go with your second statement I agree, as I said earlier. If hertl isn't playing a top 9 role I would much rather see him in ahl then play 4th line mins
Show me some quotes about the "organization has all but said he is a shoe in". The Shark PR machine and management just don't do this for prospects. This is why players want to be here, they know if they are good enough they will make the team and play, that means if another player is better than Hertl and makes the team he won't. We can agree to disagree on this.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Show me some quotes about the "organization has all but said he is a shoe in". The Shark PR machine and management just don't do this for prospects. This is why players want to be here, they know if they are good enough they will make the team and play, that means if another player is better than Hertl and makes the team he won't. We can agree to disagree on this.
They havent said that. I think if you change his quote to unless all of the rookies fall flat on their face and kearns makes the roster, we will likely see one of hertl/nieto opening day.

if no rookies play we are looking at

wingels/jt/burns
marleau/couture/sheppard
torres/pavs/kennedy
desi/burish/kearns
hertl/nieto

at least thats how i would line it up.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
If hertl plays well it has to be Burish waivers first if we're lucky he gets picked up. If not hrs in Worcester and were good. I feel like Burish has more to give but this is his last shot. 1 goal isn't cutting it I want to see him get ten. Wingels needs to step up as well. Looks like he will once again be playing a top 9 role possibly top 6 at times. He needs to score at least 15 this year otherwise I would like to see someone else take his spot
Yes burish makes the most sense to be placed on waivers and sent to the ahl. So the nhl club can waste 950,000 of cap space for a player that will not be playing in the nhl.

If burish is the one to leave he will no longer be apart of the nhl sharks, ahl sharks or any team that is affiliated with the sharks.

If a waiver is going to be used to get cap compliant it is going to be one of hertl, sheppard, wingels, or desjardins. With hertl being the front runner because he makes the most out of the 4.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Yes burish makes the most sense to be placed on waivers and sent to the ahl. So the nhl club can waste 950,000 of cap space for a player that will not be playing in the nhl.

If burish is the one to leave he will no longer be apart of the nhl sharks, ahl sharks or any team that is affiliated with the sharks.

If a waiver is going to be used to get cap compliant it is going to be one of hertl, sheppard, wingels, or desjardins. With hertl being the front runner because he makes the most out of the 4.
Well, first the only reason they would consider waiving or assigning someone to Worcester is if Havlat is ready to go. At that point, it would completely depend on who they would want as the 9th forward on the top three lines since we can safely assume that Marleau, Couture, Havlat, Burns, Thornton, Pavelski, Torres, and Kennedy are the eight others.

Chances are the best guy for that last spot is Hertl but he will have to pass every test imaginable to get that spot to put the team in the spot to have to waive someone that they will need for depth as the season goes. Burish makes the most sense to send down for cap space purposes, a point you chose to neglect to point out the 'wasted cap space' AND that the chances of him getting claimed are very slim. I'm sure if a trade is available for them they will oblige Burish if he wants to stay in the NHL. Chances are that is not the case. Now Desjardins may not get claimed but I can see Wingels and Sheppard getting picked up and that's something they want to avoid since they need that extra NHL caliber forward rather than having to call up Nieto or Hamilton or whoever when the need arises.

However, the only reason why Hertl would be the front runner to be sent down is because he is exempt from waivers but he is likely also the best player of the bunch and the team has a real need to put their best options in their top three lines to be a good consistent club.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:30 AM
hockfan1991

H hm

Old
08-06-2013, 12:37 AM
hockfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

Risk losing wingels or shep over Burish ? It is a ? Whether hertl will be productive enough to stay up. But my whole point being was if he stays who goes. So you can't say hertl that because he is the reason someone is being waived and Burish makes most sense

Old
08-06-2013, 12:57 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Risk losing wingels or shep over Burish ? It is a ? Whether hertl will be productive enough to stay up. But my whole point being was if he stays who goes. So you can't say hertl that because he is the reason someone is being waived and Burish makes most sense
Makes the most sense to you or me, but i doubt to the org. My bet is they are happy with Burish and have no intention of trading him.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:01 AM
hockfan1991

Quote:
Makes the most sense to you or me, but i doubt to the org. My bet is they are happy with Burish and have no intention of trading him.
Lets just hope hertl forces there hand. He will get his chance. Just hope he shines for us. Finding a contributing top 9 forward is a lot harder then replacing a 2 million dollar grinder. Just hoping he can show enough before havlat gets bk

Old
08-06-2013, 03:40 AM
GCB2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
They havent said that. I think if you change his quote to unless all of the rookies fall flat on their face and kearns makes the roster, we will likely see one of hertl/nieto opening day.

if no rookies play we are looking at

wingels/jt/burns
marleau/couture/sheppard
torres/pavs/kennedy
desi/burish/kearns
hertl/nieto

at least thats how i would line it up.
I agree 2 of the 4 Hertl/Nieto/Kearns/Viedensky will make the team out of camp. While I don't believe the organization has directly come out and said it the fact that they did not resign Gomez and traded Galiardi leaves spots open for the rookies.

Trading Demers and recalling Tennyson would allow both Hertl and Havlat to stay on the roster at the same time. Trading Irwin, Hannen or Braun would not allow it since they don't have a high enough cap hit so it is pretty obvious the organizations view on Demers....

I think the most likely still is that they send Hertl back to the AHL and recall Kearns or Viedensky as the 13th forward. Either of their salary would put them only 32K over the cap or $180 per day. Theoretically they could stash them both at the SF bulls and move them back and forth to save cap space. An example would be during January from the 19th following the road trip till the 29th, the start of the next road trip, they could have Kearns/Viedensky in SF available for emergency call up during the homestand. This 10 days would save ~5% of their cap number or ~$30K which makes up roughly for the overage caused by having them on the roster the rest of the season as the 13th forward.

Worst case on road trips they could choose to go without a spare forward and play Demers as the 7th D or 13th forward.

Once they bank the cap space with ~10 games left recall Hertl for the playoffs. Hertl on the roster causes a $2.1K per day overage and the last 10 games consumes 18 days and would require the sharks to have ~$40K in cap space banked. It can be very easy to bank the space given the olympic break which if the days count could allow the sharks to bank ~26 days @ $3K per day between the last road trip ending on Jan 30th and the start after the break of Feb 27th.

With both the Kearns and Viedensky signings coming in recently(after all moves) at the NHL minimum and with the sharks having so many one way contracts I think Doug might have told them, you sign at the min and you have a shot to be on the 4th line and they both jumped on it, imo.

GCB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote