Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What lineups would you like next year

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Eddie Shack

vCash: 500
So now Sami is also better than Toni Lydman? Uh, OK. I'm just going to leave it at...he did not do well in a very sheltered role.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I thought Sami did just fine in a sheltered role. It was definitely a sheltered role, and that is probably one of the biggest reasons I didn't want to see him in the series against Detroit. The playoffs are a time where match-ups can play a key role in whether you win or lose, and with the injuries the Ducks had on the blue line, I just don't think they could have handled that. In my opinion the knock on his defense is a bit exaggerated, but I'm also not sure he was ready for greater defensive responsibilities at the time. That is, I don't think he was ready for true 3rd pairing minutes and responsibilities, and that wasn't what he was getting before.

More than that, for all of Sami's obvious offensive talent, it's not like he was especially dangerous out there. I think he just needs to find his game in the NHL, but some people are acting like he was so good offensively that we could afford to shelter him defensively, and I've got to be honest... I just didn't see it. It's not like he looked dangerous whenever he had the puck, or seemed to jump start the offense for the team. He looked like exactly what he was: A talented young defenseman who still needs to figure out what he needs to do in the NHL. There is nothing wrong with that. We just need to give him the chance to learn and develop, like any other prospect. This next season will be that opportunity for him.

08-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
So now Sami is also better than Toni Lydman? Uh, OK. I'm just going to leave it at...he did not do well in a very sheltered role.
Where'd I say that? The Lydman thing was unrelated to Sami, just something I noticed when looking into zone starts. After all the revisionist history some on here have for Lydman, I thought I'd point out how he was almost just as sheltered in 2.5 playoff games as Sami was in 8 regular season games.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
Where'd I say that? The Lydman thing was unrelated to Sami, just something I noticed when looking into zone starts. After all the revisionist history some on here have for Lydman, I thought I'd point out how he was almost just as sheltered in 2.5 playoff games as Sami was in 8 regular season games.
My mistake. I guess you just said they were equal.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:32 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The playoffs are a point where it wouldn't have been more risky? You can't be serious. Souray is a veteran player, who has years of experience to draw upon, and he'd been one of our best defensemen over the course of the regular season. Vatanen was a rookie, with a handful of games.

In terms of risk, putting Vatanen in instead of Souray is about as high risk as it gets. The further into the series the Ducks were, the riskier the decision would have been. Don't kid yourself about that. Sami didn't get enough games under his belt for Boudreau to have any reason to trust him in such important games. If Sami had performed exceptionally in those games, that would be something, but he didn't. Give Sami a chance to really prove himself this next season. He'll get an opportunity to show Boudreau what he can do, and start building that trust.
yeah all those years of experience sure helped Souray in the playoffs! a guy should not be playing just because he's a veteran. Souray **** the bed, and Vatanen wouldn't have done any worse, he may have infact actually helped the team more! Sami looked pretty good in his last stint, much better than Souray ever played the last 15 games of the season

Where's the risk playing Vatanen over a player, playing as poorly as possible? for a team that had trouble making simple breakout passes, playing the franchises 2nd most skilled defensemen would be a risk worth taking, given how horrific Souray was

Old
08-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
yeah all those years of experience sure helped Souray in the playoffs! a guy should not be playing just because he's a veteran. Souray **** the bed, and Vatanen wouldn't have done any worse, he may have infact actually helped the team more! Sami looked pretty good in his last stint, much better than Souray ever played the last 15 games of the season

Where's the risk playing Vatanen over a player, playing as poorly as possible? for a team that had trouble making simple breakout passes, playing the franchises 2nd most skilled defensemen would be a risk worth taking, given how horrific Souray was
Souray wasn't good, but stop making him sound like he was the worst player to ever step on the ice. *******. The arguments are just getting more and more ridiculous. I doubt you'd find any coach go with a rookie over a veteran like Souray(who, again, was one of our best defensemen during the season), without the rookie playing like a stud.

Being a veteran isn't the only reason Souray was playing over Vatanen. Sami having only 8 games of experience... that is also a big reason. The fact that he was significantly sheltered in said 8 games, also a reason.

Last edited by Sojourn: 08-06-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old
08-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Souray played like total ****, but Vataten was not the answer.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
My mistake. I guess you just said they were equal.
Didn't do that either, but thanks for trying.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:52 AM
IDuck

Anyone think BM makes a move before camp?.....I think BM goes to camp with the current squad and see's who wins spots. I just don't see him making a trade until a few weeks into the season. The players I see as "likely" to be moved will be winnik,allen, and possible hiller at the deadline (pending fasth performance and a good look at Anderson). Anyone else see a likely trade before we go into camp with so many guys fighting for a spot?.....watch now that I say this BM will drop a bomb on us.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Paul4587

I think the roster has been set since the Palmieri signing. We've got the cap space to do more but our most glaring needs (top 4 defenseman, maybe no 2 centre) aren't going to be filled via FA unless Grabo is signed which I doubt happens.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Damn, i would love Grabo.

On the main boards some say he is horrible defensively. He can play PK anyway, and even if he is not so good, we have very good defensive centers in Bonino and Koivu and also Getzlaf, who is pretty good too. That would allow Grabo line to play easier minutes defensive wise, but he is clearly not horrible in his own zone anyway.
He could easily play 2nd PP minutes.

I really think we would benefit greatly from him, but like many others, i just don`t believe we can sign him.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Eddie Shack

Apparently BM's big roster change this year was knowing he was trading Ryan. Anybody want to still pretend Ryan wasn't being shopped?

Old
08-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Koffein

Quote:
Souray wasn't good, but stop making him sound like he was the worst player to ever step on the ice. *******. The arguments are just getting more and more ridiculous. I doubt you'd find any coach go with a rookie over a veteran like Souray(who, again, was one of our best defensemen during the season), without the rookie playing like a stud.

Being a veteran isn't the only reason Souray was playing over Vatanen. Sami having only 8 games of experience... that is also a big reason. The fact that he was significantly sheltered in said 8 games, also a reason.
Not saying Vatanen would have been a better option vs Detroit, but Souray was truly awful in that series so I was hoping BB would try him out. In hindsight, the results couldn't have been that much worse, right?

It kind of makes me confused seeing all the hate here directed towards Allen and so little towards Souray though. Allen was really weak early on but worked his way up as the season progressed while Souray was hot in the first half before going downhill quickly, got nervous every time he stepped on the ice in the playoffs. One would think most fans of a playoff team would prefer the former.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:24 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
Not saying Vatanen would have been a better option vs Detroit, but Souray was truly awful in that series so I was hoping BB would try him out. In hindsight, the results couldn't have been that much worse, right?

It kind of makes me confused seeing all the hate here directed towards Allen and so little towards Souray though. Allen was really weak early on but worked his way up as the season progressed while Souray was hot in the first half before going downhill quickly, got nervous every time he stepped on the ice in the playoffs. One would think most fans of a playoff team would prefer the former.
If we were down in that series, absolutely you think of trying Vatanen out, hoping his offense can spark something. But we were never trailing in that series, and all of those losses came in OT. Souray wasn't great(I still think there was some sort of injury situation there), but it wasn't costing us anything, especially when you consider Souray was only on the ice for 2 or 3 ES goals all series going into game 6.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Apparently BM's big roster change this year was knowing he was trading Ryan. Anybody want to still pretend Ryan wasn't being shopped?
Given Ryan's lacklust season BM informed him about the trade as soon as the season started. At the very latest when Getzlaf and Perry were signed.

Only thing that buffles me is how many RWs we have in out system. One would think there is a more pressing need at LW and the 2C position. The latter because I am not comfortable with Holland or Bonino at that position at the moment. This is not me ranting on the Ryan trade btw.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Given Ryan's lacklust season BM informed him about the trade as soon as the season started. At the very latest when Getzlaf and Perry were signed.

Only thing that buffles me is how many RWs we have in out system. One would think there is a more pressing need at LW and the 2C position. The latter because I am not comfortable with Holland or Bonino at that position at the moment. This is not me ranting on the Ryan trade btw.
I think the Ryan drama had reached a point where it was in everybody's best interest to trade him. If we were a strong cup contender and Bobby was the one irreplaceable piece then maybe both sides struggle through it one more year. But that not being the case, it was time for both sides to move on.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Unagi

Quote:
I think the Ryan drama had reached a point where it was in everybody's best interest to trade him. If we were a strong cup contender and Bobby was the one irreplaceable piece then maybe both sides struggle through it one more year. But that not being the case, it was time for both sides to move on.
Totally agree. I think he was fed up with the Ducks and Bob Murray wasn't too fond of him either. I am just glad this is over and we can move on. I wish Ryan all the best in Ottawa. Hope he succeeds there.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

If Bobby didn't try as hard this last season(as some seem to suggest) because he figured he would be traded then he needs to learn some professionalism.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Did I miss something? It sounded like if the other Murray hadn't upped his offer that Ryan would still be here.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:32 PM
DaDucks

Not sure if this was posted yet

The Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks will be hosting a two-game rookie tournament in early September. Initial plans have the tournament opening in Anaheim on Saturday, September 7 and continuing at the Toyota Sports Center on Monday, September 9.
Additional news on these rookie games will be posted when it becomes available.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:40 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
If Bobby didn't try as hard this last season(as some seem to suggest) because he figured he would be traded then he needs to learn some professionalism.
I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. He really seemed to mail in game 7, and just had that "**** it, not going to be here next year" attitude pretty much the whole year.

Good riddance.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Theridion

I thought rookie games were held in previous years. But with the atrike season, my memory back 2 years is fuzzy.

This a standard thing they do every year, ya?

Old
08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
I thought rookie games were held in previous years. But with the atrike season, my memory back 2 years is fuzzy.

This a standard thing they do every year, ya?
If my memory serves me correctly then we had sent our rookies up to San Jose or Vancouver in years past. It has been a few years since we had a rookie game locally. It seems a little foggy but this is how I remember it.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Did I miss something? It sounded like if the other Murray hadn't upped his offer that Ryan would still be here.
Maybe, or maybe he gets traded for a better deal elsewhere or maybe our BM gives in to OTT's BM. Can't say for sure. But considering how our BM told us "it will not be the same next year. I promise you that. It’s not good enough. It’s not good enough." and considering he has done nothing but trade Bobby, it's hard to imagine he didn't know he would find the best deal for Bobby and take it.

Without the Ryan trade, instead of fighting amongst ourselves, we might have most people on board with wondering where is BM's action to support the talk. As it is he still hasn't really done anything relative to his comment on lack of standing up for each other. And people are still wondering if this is all the action BM is going to provide.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Wait. BM said that after the season was over, didn't he? How does that translate to Bobby being shopped during the season? That seems to be what you're implying(and Noire seems to be suggesting that, too).

Closed Thread