HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sheltering top prospects

Old
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Habsterix*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
For a person to answer this question properly they truly should have a background in hockey or be able to draw on decades of watching players. My take is one of bringing players along slowly and carefully is the best. Here are reasons why;

1) The biggest concern is injuries some have been career ending and others that decreased the players mobility so much that they never realized their potential.

2) Learning to play a complete game,(defensive mins.,PK mins.,PP mins.offensive mins.) playing defensive time 5 on 5, 3rd line, PK time next, then defence zone play followed by last minute play in periods and end of game. Then last minute play in close games or playoffs. Finally when the player has accomplished these, then comes the same on offence with short bursts of PP time until he shows he can be counted on consistently.
Many players haven't learned this way to start and it takes years later, when SC championships are on the line it's a bad time to learn and hurts the players confidence.

3) By learning slowly how each position is best played in the above manner, or by watching the positions they don't play, they become far greater players and teammates.(The most important thing to learn, it's a team game)

Just my opinion from watching the Habs play since the 50's, along with all of the Super Series, Canada Cups, WHC's etc. The best Hockey series ever IMO was the 1976 Canada Cup, followed closely by the 1987 Canada Cup. Phenomenal Hockey!
Ah, inspiring to see someone who has watched hockey for a long time and who has seen the good old days.

You'll also remember that Guy Lafleur pretty much sat at the end of the bench for his first couple of seasons. You'll remember how most prospects started with the farm club, being called up from time to time to "get a taste" of 5-star hotels, first-class flights, and see where they were at in comparison to NHL caliber competition. What's changed is that those young players today, if they are smart, are set for life after their first contract, earning more in 3 years than most will do in their lifetime. They need to find other motivation than the need to work for a living.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 06:18 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Ah, inspiring to see someone who has watched hockey for a long time and who has seen the good old days.

You'll also remember that Guy Lafleur pretty much sat at the end of the bench for his first couple of seasons. You'll remember how most prospects started with the farm club, being called up from time to time to "get a taste" of 5-star hotels, first-class flights, and see where they were at in comparison to NHL caliber competition. What's changed is that those young players today, if they are smart, are set for life after their first contract, earning more in 3 years than most will do in their lifetime. They need to find other motivation than the need to work for a living.
Thanks, to give inspiration to any of our Habs family here is a joy, only too happy to achieve that result.

Guy Lafleur's career is one I followed with a fervor I'm sure lots of Hab fans did at the time. While those first three years were surely some of his hardest, they molded the Heroic deeds that ensued from Le Demon Blond. All Hab fans remember Guy flying down the ice with his blond hair flowing behind as if caught in a jet-stream.

I believe that the passion of players like Guy, Teemu Selanne and many others will always provide their motivation and coaches merely steer the energy and leadership.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
odishabs

I would love to see Galchenyuk play on a line with Pleky. Assuming we keep DD of course.

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Bourque

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Prust - Eller - Briere

Moen - White - Parros

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Mr. Hab

Nice, interesting thread since we have many good, young prospects.

In due time Galchenyuk will be our top 6 center...for now making sure he becomes a solid two-way center/winger is more important (no rush). Being on the third line is more than fine...I just want to protect (as much as possible) Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller with a Prust.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 08-05-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

You can only take it case-by-case. Being cautious would be the default. But moreso with defensemen and goalies playing more helps development more, so if you aren't going to play a guy, he's better off in the minors.

Galchenyuk seemed to be approximately at the right place last year... my only complaint would be that _if_ a player seems to show the ability to, say, play on the PP, and the rest of your options seem to be inferior, then it's not really in anybody's best interests to "shelter" the player to the extent of not using him on the PP.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
You can only take it case-by-case. Being cautious would be the default. But moreso with defensemen and goalies playing more helps development more, so if you aren't going to play a guy, he's better off in the minors.

Galchenyuk seemed to be approximately at the right place last year... my only complaint would be that _if_ a player seems to show the ability to, say, play on the PP, and the rest of your options seem to be inferior, then it's not really in anybody's best interests to "shelter" the player to the extent of not using him on the PP.
I would say "inferior" is a poor choice of word in this particular case.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote