HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason roster build thread part Additional Nauseum

Old
08-03-2013, 11:35 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

vCash: 500
Eklund

Quote:
Hemsky for Ryan Miller?

Last year Ryan Miller gave a list of ten teams he would not accept a trade to...I am being told he is being asked or will soon be asked to consider that list again and the possibility of playing for the Oilers who I hear are looking to make a swap involving Hemsky...(the deal would also including prospects swapping places as well.)

At first glance Edmonton would be an odd place for Miller to go, but do understand Miller wants a shot to show his worth this year both to prove the Sabres wrong and to win the USA Olympic starting or backup spot.

Currently Jonathan Quick is penciled in as #1 with Miller and Howard fighting it out for 2/3. Miller's experience and performance in Vancouver three years ago is reason to believe he still has a shot at the top spot as well...

Making this possibility even more intriguing..

Hemsky, according to sources familiar, does believe he is getting traded and is being told the decision is up to "the player he is being traded for.."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...5#.Uf0xJW3JLEM

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Eklund...

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Imlach a cup

Prove the Sabres wrong? The Sabres want to resign him. There's a reason we don't bring Eklund on these boards.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Djp

Its Eklund---i take it as a grain of salt......

Edmonton is a legit place Miller could go. They are a young team who want to take that next step. He will be out west so it will be closer/easier to travel to see his wife.

cant recall where I saw it---but yes he did mention in the past that he does miss not seeing his wife. This would be a factor in him signing his next contract.

As for a deal it would have to be something more than Hemsky that attracts them to the deal.

Trading an impending UFA for another UFA makes doesnt make sense.

Edmonton prospect pool is defense heavy---Buffalo doesnt need Defense.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:49 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Prove the Sabres wrong? The Sabres want to resign him. There's a reason we don't bring Eklund on these boards.
I am desperate for a move.

Old
08-03-2013, 01:54 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Oh boy, I should start a rumor site!

Crosby for Drew Stafford? Not Impossible!

Ovechkin for Tallinder? Not Impossible!

You can pretty much list any player here and say "Not Impossible" and technically be correct.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:04 PM
lifeisruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Scott/Kaleta-Porter-Flynn/Kaleta

Ehrhoff-Myers
Tallinder-Pysyk
Weber-McBain
Sulzer

Miller
Enroth
(Hedberg)

At least to start the year. Some will want a few of the kids up, but i think Hackett carries the load in Rochester if Miller stays and Girgensons, Larsson, Armia, Catenacci, McNabb, Ruhwedel, Ristolainen etc start the year in Rochester and hopefully put together some early success and growth instead of playing lesser minutes in Buffalo on a subpar? team...having leaders like Ellis & Zigomanis around will help.

I like that idea, for no other reason then it would be an AWESOME Rochester team to watch (don't know how good they'll be but watching them would be fun

Ellis-Zigmantus-Armia
McCormick-Girgenson-Catenacci
Adam-Larrson-Riskmiller
Kea-Jacobs-Varone
Roy/Sundher/Parker

McNabb-Ruhwedel
Ristolainen Crawford
JDL-????
MacKenzie

Hackett
Lieuwen/Knapp

Am I missing someone on the blueline.....

This sounds crazy, but you could make the case to go out and get another defensemen, and then move Pysyk back to Rochester, if you really wanted to go all in on the "lets put all the kids together in Rochester"

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
I like that idea, for no other reason then it would be an AWESOME Rochester team to watch (don't know how good they'll be but watching them would be fun

Ellis-Zigmantus-Armia
Adam-Larrson-Riskmiller
Kea-Jacobs-Varone
Roy/Sundher/Parker

McNabb-Ruhwedel
Ristolainen Crawford
JDL-????
MacKenzie

Hackett
Lieuwen/Knapp

Am I missing someone on the blueline.....

This sounds crazy, but you could make the case to go out and get another defensemen, and then move Pysyk back to Rochester, if you really wanted to go all in on the "lets put all the kids together in Rochester"
Bagnall. He's the vet they signed for the D.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I am desperate for a move.
I could agree with this.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Capslock17

I was hoping he'd go to colorado for stastny...

Capslock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Capslock17

Eklund's track record? Not great

Capslock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 02:50 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock17 View Post
Eklund's track record? Not great
even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes ....

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 03:25 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes ....
Miller can be a nut at times.

Old
08-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post

Ellis-Zigmantus-Armia
Adam-Larrson-Riskmiller
Kea-Jacobs-Varone
Roy/Sundher/Parker

McNabb-Ruhwedel
Ristolainen Crawford
JDL-????
MacKenzie

Hackett
Lieuwen/Knapp
There are a few players you are missing....

1. Is JDL supposed to be JGL?

2. Tim Schaller C --he came from college

3. Drew Bagnall - D --vet they signed from Minnesota

Kea is still 19 (was drafted in 2012)--he plays in OHL in 13-14. also AFAIK he isnt under contract yet.

Last edited by Djp: 08-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:29 AM
gallagt01

Speculatively speaking, I wonder what vet free agents Regier has contacted (I assume what he's done in Rochester is something he'd have liked to re-create in Buffalo).

Seeing guys like Morrow and Gagne still unsigned leads me to believe that their interest in playing in Buffalo is limited. I can't imagine Darcy wouldn't have been willing to pony up decent coin on a short term for either guy.

Doing so gives you some veteran options to surround Larsson/Hodgson/Grigorenko/Ennis with.

Both guys have undoubtedly lost a step but coud work regardless.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Sabre the Win
McDavid or Eichel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Speculatively speaking, I wonder what vet free agents Regier has contacted (I assume what he's done in Rochester is something he'd have liked to re-create in Buffalo).

Seeing guys like Morrow and Gagne still unsigned leads me to believe that their interest in playing in Buffalo is limited. I can't imagine Darcy wouldn't have been willing to pony up decent coin on a short term for either guy.

Doing so gives you some veteran options to surround Larsson/Hodgson/Grigorenko/Ennis with.

Both guys have undoubtedly lost a step but coud work regardless.
Those guys are probably looking for long term deals which Buffalo will not offer in the rebuilding stage we are at. I doubt it's because they just don't want to play in Buffalo.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Those guys are probably looking for long term deals which Buffalo will not offer in the rebuilding stage we are at. I doubt it's because they just don't want to play in Buffalo.
Their age and health history will make getting a long term deal very difficult for either.

More likely, they are waiting for more of the chips to fall.... at which point they will be looking for offers from contenders.

I doubt Gagne gets more than a 1 year deal
Morrow will be lucky to get more than 2 years...

teams can't afford to make long term commitments to old, injury prone players... not with how quickly they have to pay their young talent in the RFA marketplace

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:29 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
As Jame outlined, neither guy will get a long-term deal given their age.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:50 AM
tehinternet

Vanek - Hodgson - Ennis
Ott - Grigorenko - Leino
Folingo - Flynn - Tropp
Porter/Scott - Adam - Stafford/Kaleta
___________ - Girgensons - Armia

Tallinder-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Erhoff-Ruhwedel
McNabb
Sulzer
McBain
Ristolainen

Miller
Enroth
Hackett

Notes:
-Move Ennis to wing. Need room for centers to develop.
-Grigo gets another serous try with real teammates not named John Scott. Ott still takes some draws. Try the Ott-Grig-Leino line which was working in camp before Leino got hurt in camp last season.
-Flynn & Tropp stay up in Buffalo. Porter has a shot to stay but needs to play hard to make it happen.
-Miller probably traded before deadline for cheap (a prospect, low 2nd round pick, or a mid-career unknown vet to fill a gap on 4th line or something).
-Vanek: Who knows what will happen at the trade deadline...
-Enroth gets more games this year. Need to be confident he's a #1 when Miller's not around.
-Luke Adam gets a 20 solid game tryout (with some time on 3rd line) to prove he's an NHL center or not. Hopefully, because Girgensons needs more time.
-Potential trade: Kaleta for bag of pucks and a case of Blue to a team that needs to get 'tougher' like when Buffalo signed Ott.
-Potential buyout: Stafford. If not, demoted to 3rd or 4th line.
-Ott (A), Hodgson (A), Vanek (C) -- Vanek as Captain creates an uproar among fans (OMGz why not OTT!?!) Who knows, maybe Weber with an A over Hodgson.

tehinternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:16 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehinternet View Post
Vanek - Hodgson - Ennis
Ott - Grigorenko - Leino
Folingo - Flynn - Tropp

Tallinder-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Erhoff-Ruhwedel
McNabb
Sulzer
McBain
Ristolainen

Miller
Enroth
Hackett

Notes:
-Grigo gets another serous try with real teammates not named John Scott. Ott still takes some draws. Try the Ott-Grig-Leino line which was working in camp before Leino got hurt in camp last season.
-Flynn & Tropp stay up in Buffalo. Porter has a shot to stay but needs to play hard to make it happen.
-Miller probably traded before deadline for cheap (a prospect, low 2nd round pick, or a mid-career unknown vet to fill a gap on 4th line or something).
-Enroth gets more games this year. Need to be confident he's a #1 when Miller's not around.
-Luke Adam gets a 20 solid game tryout (with some time on 3rd line) to prove he's an NHL center or not. Hopefully, because Girgensons needs more time.
-Potential trade: Kaleta for bag of pucks and a case of Blue to a team that needs to get 'tougher' like when Buffalo signed Ott.
-Ott (A), Hodgson (A), Vanek (C) -- Vanek as Captain creates an uproar among fans (OMGz why not OTT!?!) Who knows, maybe Weber with an A over Hodgson.
Adam over Larsson? Adam had his cup of tea in the NHL and he sucked. Then he went to Rochester, where he sucked. If he has a future in the NHL, it's on the wing. And it's not with Buffalo.

Flynn at center? He played center at Maine but I'm almost positive he's never skated as a pivot professionally.

The Kaleta/Stafford comments are just silly. As is Vanek for captain.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Vanek - Hodgson - Ennis
Ott - Grigorenko - Leino
Folingo - Flynn - Tropp

Tallinder-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Erhoff-Ruhwedel
McNabb
Sulzer
McBain
Ristolainen

Miller
Enroth
Hackett

Notes:
Kaleta is the Sabres best defensive forward. He goes nowhere.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:38 AM
tehinternet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Adam over Larsson? Adam had his cup of tea in the NHL and he sucked. Then he went to Rochester, where he sucked. If he has a future in the NHL, it's on the wing. And it's not with Buffalo.

Flynn at center? He played center at Maine but I'm almost positive he's never skated as a pivot professionally.

The Kaleta/Stafford comments are just silly. As is Vanek for captain.
Adam has has his ups and downs in both Buf and Roch. Some might argue he got ruined by Ruff. Rolson *might* be able to save him. I think Buf might give him one more shot, but if he falters early on, he's done.

If Buffalo is committed to rebuilding with youth, might as well try to put Flynn at C. This is the time to experiment. We're light on experienced centers right now -- especially with the idea of moving Ennis back to wing to allow centers to develop.

Realistically though, Kaleta and Stafford's days in Buffalo are numbered. They're quickly becoming obsolete. Kaleta is often injured and getting a bad rep with the referee's. Stafford is overpaid for his performance and one of the last remnants of the of the 'core' which has been dismantled.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
tehinternet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
?
He's a -4 and -5 player in +/- over the last three seasons. He's tough, and gritty, but I don't know if I'd want him out there to close out a 1-goal lead against a tough opponent.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
SirRocko

Quote:
?
He's a -4 and -5 player in +/- over the last three seasons. He's tough, and gritty, but I don't know if I'd want him out there to close out a 1-goal lead against a tough opponent.
Don't use +/- to evaluate defensive abilities...

Someone posted a great article that really showed how great Kaleta is defensively and how useful he still is at other facets of the game... Don't feel like looking for it.

Kaleta absolutely is a guy you should want out there defending a lead, especially compared to other forwards on this roster...

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I have no use for Kaleta anymore, he is basically just taking up a roster spot. You have Ott to play the agitator role, you can find guys to kill penalties. His act has gotten old with me and the fact that he can't do anything offensively...I've seen enough of him.

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote