HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2013, 07:30 AM
  #701
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
FYI - if I was looking into an SUV the Santa Fe would not be on my list because of this new crash test. I urge everyone here to watch this.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr051613.html
Missed that, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
The 2014 Subaru Forester is the first vehicle to ace every aspect of the challenging small overlap front crash test conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The Forester, the only one of 13 small SUVs to earn an overall rating of good in the test, and the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, which earns acceptable, are the latest vehicles to qualify for the Institute's recently inaugurated top honor, Top Safety Pick+. Each of the other 11 SUVs earns either a poor or marginal rating.
Couldn't find the full list of vehicles tested and their specific rating.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:23 AM
  #702
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
any opinion on the mitsubishi outlander for a cheap suv? (just the space no 4x4)

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 09:59 AM
  #703
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Missed that, thanks for sharing.



Couldn't find the full list of vehicles tested and their specific rating.
There was a link off of that page on the far right hand side... here is the URL.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=58

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:38 AM
  #704
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
any opinion on the mitsubishi outlander for a cheap suv? (just the space no 4x4)
I test drove a 2010 when we ended up buying the Forester. I actually did like it quite a bit, but the reason we went with the Subaru was because the Outlander drove more like a truck and the Forester drove more like a car, probably because it is based off of the Impreza platform. That and surprisingly there seemed to be more space in the back with the seats UP for our two dogs which are around 70-75 pounds each. The dealership here also played into our decision as well.

I think Mitsubishi makes a good product however and you can't beat their warranty. Don't think you could really go wrong with one as long as you test drive it and like it.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
  #705
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
any opinion on the mitsubishi outlander for a cheap suv? (just the space no 4x4)
We've come down to 2 SUV. It's between the Outlander or the Sorento both 2014. The Outlander was a great drive, love the 10 year warranty but the ***** doesn't want to give us more then simply the Starter while Kia the guy is giving us the Starter, 4 winter tires + a couple of oil changes for the 1st year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:00 PM
  #706
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Brand new 2013 Mazda 6 (ie: previous generation):

GS-L (leather, heated seats, sunroof) for $20K + tax
Or, (Fabric, sunroof, but no heated seats) = $19K + tax
Bluetooth included in both.
I get a 4 year full warranty.

OR

I was at Hyuandai and the sales guy offered me the Hybrid Sonata (panoramic roof) or Sonata SE (roof) for around 25K + tax
5 year warranty

?????


(I'm the worst decision maker when it comes to car buying...)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:19 AM
  #707
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 500
I'd go with the Sonata Hybrid personally, can you afford it ? Obviously the cheaper the better... You know it.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:36 AM
  #708
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,982
vCash: 500
havnt read through the thread so i dunno if these were posted, heres a few additional resources

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/feg2009.pdf
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/feg2010.pdf
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/feg2011.pdf
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/feg2012.pdf
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2013.pdf

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:50 AM
  #709
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Hey guys if you know anyone that needs to buy a car , I'm selling a 2011 Jetta Trendline (Blue / Automatic 6 speed) for 16 500 , only has 24 000 Km currently.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
  #710
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I'd go with the Sonata Hybrid personally, can you afford it ? Obviously the cheaper the better... You know it.
not always. mazda 6 2013 has worse fuel economy, so you spend a few k more on that over 5 years depending on mileage and city/highway ratio.

interest ratesalso must be factored in. often for more new cars (like 2014's that are out already) you get a better rate (but price is usually higher).

Also, with Hybrid, you get back 1,000$ from the govt.

Lastly, I haven't checked this out yet, but insurance might be cheaper if you take a hybrid? or insurance companies might favor certain cars over others (example, mazda 6 and it's zoom zoom appeal might be more expensive to insure than a Camry... I'm just speculating, no hard facts to back this up.)

Then we have resell value, we all know honda's and toyota's rule here.

Warranty length, some makers provide only 3 years... while others 5. Longer warranty = greater resell value.

So in the end, there's quite a bit to take into consideration.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
  #711
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500


Canada
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio.../FCG2013_e.pdf

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 02:49 PM
  #712
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
not always. mazda 6 2013 has worse fuel economy, so you spend a few k more on that over 5 years depending on mileage and city/highway ratio.

interest ratesalso must be factored in. often for more new cars (like 2014's that are out already) you get a better rate (but price is usually higher).

Also, with Hybrid, you get back 1,000$ from the govt.

Lastly, I haven't checked this out yet, but insurance might be cheaper if you take a hybrid? or insurance companies might favor certain cars over others (example, mazda 6 and it's zoom zoom appeal might be more expensive to insure than a Camry... I'm just speculating, no hard facts to back this up.)

Then we have resell value, we all know honda's and toyota's rule here.

Warranty length, some makers provide only 3 years... while others 5. Longer warranty = greater resell value.

So in the end, there's quite a bit to take into consideration.

Why do you ask? You convinced yourself. Go buy it, Hyundai are great cars now.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:15 PM
  #713
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Why do you ask? You convinced yourself. Go buy it, Hyundai are great cars now.
hahah... (because I find the styling a bit old man / boring. And you can't fold the back seats on the hybrid..)

Now you're going to ask '' Why are you considering this car then? "

I'm not, it's off my list, I'm not even sure why I posted it... Just something to consider but at the end of the day I need to tell myself '' AM I GOING TO SIGN THE PAPERS AND BUY IT YES OR NO!?"

This will help me in being so indecisive and make a quicker decision.

I'm just having a hard time in really feeling comfortable with which car to spend over 20K on and signing... I guess for some people this a routine transaction, I'm still a bit virgin with big purchase commitments for depreciating investments.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:00 PM
  #714
RealityBytes
Registered User
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 573
vCash: 450
Keep in mind that one issue with hybrids is that it usually requires special dealer mechanics to work on them, most general mechanics generally don't handle them.

Also it depends on your mileage for a hybrid, if you are a fairly low mileage driver, a hybrid just isn't necessary nor is it ideal for short trips in winter.

NOTE: I just looked at the ads on line and the Sonata hybrid has a $4K discount and is $1K cheaper than the more common Sonata GLS ... $25,679 vs $26,679. Before I was a hardcore Toyota owner but I have a Sonata GLS now as one of our cars and am well satisfied with it including the gas mileage (average 7L per 100 kilometers on hwy, 10L in city). That hybrid deal looks interesting though and I may just go look at it.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:26 PM
  #715
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
hahah... (because I find the styling a bit old man / boring. And you can't fold the back seats on the hybrid..)

Now you're going to ask '' Why are you considering this car then? "

I'm not, it's off my list, I'm not even sure why I posted it... Just something to consider but at the end of the day I need to tell myself '' AM I GOING TO SIGN THE PAPERS AND BUY IT YES OR NO!?"

This will help me in being so indecisive and make a quicker decision.

I'm just having a hard time in really feeling comfortable with which car to spend over 20K on and signing... I guess for some people this a routine transaction, I'm still a bit virgin with big purchase commitments for depreciating investments.

Did you take a look at the ford's?

I'd ask if you would consider an electric, but at 40k

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:04 PM
  #716
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Did you take a look at the ford's?

I'd ask if you would consider an electric, but at 40k
my future father in law loves ford and I have stuck with japanese.

he often attempts to convince me how ford WAS and is such a great car. I correct him by telling him it's only in the past few years that the reputation has improved, and that since forever Japanese have dominated.

i know that buying a ford i will never hear the end of it...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 01:15 PM
  #717
CaptainIginla
The king is back
 
CaptainIginla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 515
Im a student my old car is done, I need a new car

-Most important point: Need to be able to sell it in 3 years at a good price


-Need to be reliable as I travel ~350kms every two weeks (not counting kms for the normal use of the car)
- Economic on gas
- Good looking if possible and around ~15k$
What do you guys think? I was thinking about location...

CaptainIginla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  #718
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Did you take a look at the ford's?

I'd ask if you would consider an electric, but at 40k
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
my future father in law loves ford and I have stuck with japanese.

he often attempts to convince me how ford WAS and is such a great car. I correct him by telling him it's only in the past few years that the reputation has improved, and that since forever Japanese have dominated.

i know that buying a ford i will never hear the end of it...
Ford's reputation boost was fleeting and temporary. Consumers report ranks it now 27th of 28 car brands in reliability and has dropped it in rank 2 straight years.

Ford Isn't and Wasn't a good product and it's getting worse.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2X4KSHmfX

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  #719
WHATaboutLOVE
Registered User
 
WHATaboutLOVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
So my family already has one car, a Nissan Altima 2008, and we're looking to buy another one. mainly for my sister and I (jobs, Cegep).

We're hesitating between 2:

Mazda 3 and the Nissan Versa (don't care if it's hatchback or not)

Our criteria are basically:

10 000$ or less

50 000 km or less

2008+

Automatic

Also I'm a big guy ( 6'4 200 pounds) so I doN't know if the versa is right for me. Basically if we're considering everything, which of the 2 would be the best ?

WHATaboutLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 03:34 PM
  #720
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,368
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
So my family already has one car, a Nissan Altima 2008, and we're looking to buy another one. mainly for my sister and I (jobs, Cegep).

We're hesitating between 2:

Mazda 3 and the Nissan Versa (don't care if it's hatchback or not)

Our criteria are basically:

10 000$ or less

50 000 km or less

2008+

Automatic

Also I'm a big guy ( 6'4 200 pounds) so I doN't know if the versa is right for me. Basically if we're considering everything, which of the 2 would be the best ?
Both cars are for chicks and David Desharnais when he was in the ECHL.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
  #721
e46330ivs*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
So my family already has one car, a Nissan Altima 2008, and we're looking to buy another one. mainly for my sister and I (jobs, Cegep).

We're hesitating between 2:

Mazda 3 and the Nissan Versa (don't care if it's hatchback or not)

Our criteria are basically:

10 000$ or less

50 000 km or less

2008+

Automatic

Also I'm a big guy ( 6'4 200 pounds) so I doN't know if the versa is right for me. Basically if we're considering everything, which of the 2 would be the best ?
Im 6'4 215 and can drive the versa very comfortably. Great little car for what it is.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.