HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things considered, will Price improve this year?

Old
08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Jerk Store*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
What exactly is the point of discussing price with a OTTAWA fan anyways?
I'm not sure how this is relevant in any way, shape or form. I follow the Habs, and as for the goalie situation, I even called the Fucale pick way before the draft, so if anything, perhaps you can discuss Price with me for an unbiased assessment of his play.

Sorry if my post irked you. Don't see why it would have.

Jerk Store* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
One of my co-workers is Stephane Waite's childhood friend and still a very good friend with him.

Waite had one thing to say about Price. He has all the tools to become the #1 goalie in this league, the only thing that lacks is his mental aspect.

Take it FWIW
Thank you . This aligns with some outsider observations .

I have always said Price needs help in this area and nobody questions his physical fitness for the job, lets hope Waite clicks with him.

I have no gripes with Prices salary as a Number One, and the past is the past wrt unwarranted play time and promotion in his development . I have problems with his performance at critical moments. That's mental.

Waites comments are real and now in Bergevins thoughts as well.

Good news.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Look at Montreal's 2011 team versus Boston's Cup-winning team. It was an unbalanced matchup that was tilted back to practically even thanks to Price's great goaltending.

I won't whitewash Price's failures, but I won't diminish his successes, either. You want him to step up in the PO; he did exactly that in 2011.
Doing in one series doesn't mean ''done deal''. Doing it repeatedly is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying he's been bad, I'm saying he needs to be more consistent.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:59 PM
sharks9

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...-to-criticism/

Groulx says they weren't as close as people say

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Doing in one series doesn't mean ''done deal''. Doing it repeatedly is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying he's been bad, I'm saying he needs to be more consistent.
Agree 100%. My point was that there is no 'done deal' when it comes to a 26-year-old goalie. He'll probably become consistently one thing or another in the next few years by the time he's 30; we just don't know what it is yet.

It seems pretty clear his issues are mostly mental. Is that teachable? To a point, I think. There's an excellent reason why they say goalies reach their prime at 30 -- mental toughness develops with maturity and often takes its sweet time.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...-to-criticism/

Groulx says they weren't as close as people say
Ok. They weren't close, so where are the explanations for why he was fired and why Price is so under criticism for poor play?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Montreal had 126 goals against, which is not horrible. Mid-level. So the defence was doing their job. Is this the new excuse to shelter Price? The defence sucks?

Norris winner, Markov back, Gorges, who many think is the top defensive dman ever, Emelin who everyone agreed had a good season, ditto for Diaz and Drewiske Tinordi and Bouillon.

Price had a bum year, that's all it is. We all saw the same games. Stop blaming the D, for a while they were commended on TSN and Sportsnet for keeping the puck away from Price.

Now, will Price rebound next year? I don't know. He's never been a strong playoff performer, and discussing with fellow Habs fans before the playoffs, we all felt this was make or break for him as far as postseason. Didn't go well. Remains to be seen, but I'm not the most optimistic. I could be wrong though.
Montreal's defence was great at transitioning the puck to their forwards and creating offence. Habs went from a chronically low-scoring team to tied for 3rd in the league and a lot of that was because Montreal's D was effective in their new role of aggressive forechecking.

Where they sucked was around their own net and protecting Price. The basic physics of smaller defensemen trying to clear bigger forwards just didn't work, and Price was crowded and blocked to a ridiculous degree. Pucks were banged into the net that should've never been allowed to come close.

As for playoff Price, his last full series was in 2011, at 23 years old. He was fantastic. This past season he was injured in game four, after two strong games and one bad game. He was cut short, mid series. Is that enough to proclaim playoff Price as "Great"? "Bad"? "Injury prone"?

How about, "Too soon to tell". Saying he's never been a strong playoff performer means you're making decisions based on 10.7 playoff games since Price was 23; he's barely made his mark. Ottawa's goalie, Anderson, hadn't played a single playoff game when he was Price's age.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I don't see how anyone thinks he was a reason we lost vs OTT. He was great in 2 games and average in the other 2.
Anderson was superior every single game.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark24 View Post
Just wondering with a few changes in the team in front of Carey Price, and the change of goalie coaches, will we start to see Price take a big step forward in his game this year? What does everyone think? I think we still need more crease clearers for the guy.
Depends on which aspect you think of. Technically speaking, he hardly can improve at all, he is that good. However, mentally there is alot he can improve on, like his desire to fight the puck out of his net.

I think that what will help him the most is the new goalies coach. Stéphane Waite likes when goalies fights the puck...

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Except the game he was pulled out, I guess....

Old
08-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Anderson saw every single shot. He didn't have to contend with people in front of him. Totally different story in Montreal's end. Our blueline doesn't protect our goalie and our forwards (apart from Gallagher) don't pay the price in front of the other team's net.

That's why we don't win in the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Anderson saw every single shot. He didn't have to contend with people in front of him. Totally different story in Montreal's end. Our blueline doesn't protect our goalie and our forwards (apart from Gallagher) don't pay the price in front of the other team's net.

That's why we don't win in the playoffs.
It kinda explain why we drafted McCarron and signed Parros among other things...

Old
08-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
It kinda explain why we drafted McCarron and signed Parros among other things...
McCarron can't get into our lineup soon enough.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Agreed...

Old
08-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
The whole Price can't perform in the playoffs is just ridiculous. He had better numbers than Thomas did at the end of that series. He was more or less brilliant.

Are we really going to judge his playoff performances when he was under 22?
Even then, he had his moments. Outstanding vs Bruins in 08 as a rookie, overmatched against Philly in the next round. People will of course use the averages that are heavily skewed by that Philly series to say that he "had a bad playoffs" when it is more accurate to say he had an "uneven playoffs". He countered one absolutely stellar round with a bad one, but for everyone who wants Price out of town, they ignore the first round.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Even then, he had his moments. Outstanding vs Bruins in 08 as a rookie, overmatched against Philly in the next round. People will of course use the averages that are heavily skewed by that Philly series to say that he "had a bad playoffs" when it is more accurate to say he had an "uneven playoffs". He countered one absolutely stellar round with a bad one, but for everyone who wants Price out of town, they ignore the first round.
And that's without accounting that the team ahead of him collapsed every single time.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Big tall guys grinding it out on the 3rd line won't help us.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Big tall guys grinding it out on the 3rd line won't help us.
They certainly would. Right now this team couldn't grind out a win if their lives depended on it. We do a lot of things well but we aren't nearly physical enough.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:46 PM
ValorJames

vCash: 476
Quote:
They certainly would. Right now this team couldn't grind out a win if their lives depended on it. We do a lot of things well but we aren't nearly physical enough.
Exactly....we need to add that element to our line up.

ValorJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
29dryden29

http://video.tsn.ca/videohub.aspx?dl...80136/clip/357

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Price has the talent to be one of the best, but he'll have to prove it, the sooner the better. Another sub-par season and he might start to get the Théo treatment, and that isn't good in various ways. Not only would it be a huge hit for his confidence, but once a whole fan base turn on a player, you can be sure his perceived trade value starts to plummet.

I still have faith, but I wouldn't play down the situation too much. It's a statement year for Price.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:36 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
That bad one wasn't just bad it was putrid.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:39 PM
the

vCash: 50
He will have a decent season but decent won't be good enough. People will realize he's not the savior that was promised to us.

He will be a border line top 10 goalie but will not labeled a elite goalie and his contract won't be justified.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:48 PM
the

vCash: 50
Quote:
What type of series were you watching? Price was good the first two games and was brutal the rest of the series. Boston had no business bringing us to game 7, we were the much superior team, thank god he managed to regain his mojo back for game 7 but that was short lived and his struggle continued against Philly.

Outstanding against Boston? Please! I can understand that he was a rookie and all but he was very average against Boston. The only impressive thing he did during that round was his clutch performance in game 7.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
What type of series were you watching? Price was good the first two games and was brutal the rest of the series. Boston had no business bringing us to game 7, we were the much superior team, thank god he managed to regain his mojo back for game 7 but that was short lived and his struggle continued against Philly.

Outstanding against Boston? Please! I can understand that he was a rookie and all but he was very average against Boston. The only impressive thing he did during that round was his clutch performance in game 7.
These are the kinds of posts that really show what's wrong with a lot of fans...

Dude, Price was amazing that series.

It should've been a four game sweep except our team couldn't manage two goals in game three. Then in game four Price puts up a shutout.

He had a poor game in game five and it was a wide open shootout in game six for both teams. The guy then comes back and gets a shutout in game seven.

Yet, you come here with stupid **** like "Boston had no business bringing us to game 7"... as though this is on Price. If we'd managed two ****ing goals in game three it would've been over with Price's shutout in game four.

But yeah... it was Price that took this to seven games. Never mind the two shutout wins here. The guy wins the series with a seventh game shutout and it's still not impressive? In five of those games he had two shutouts and a .935 save percentage or better. That's not good enough for you? If you don't understand that this is an awesome performance it's no wonder you're so out to lunch on Price. He was amazing in that series... Period. You can argue that water isn't wet all you wish you are just flat out wrong.

Seriously man... wtf is wrong with you guys?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 08-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.