HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Kansas City at Philadelphia (Sept. 19, 8:25 p.m. ET; NFLN)

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2013, 03:57 AM
peacepipe

vCash: 500
It's just like all black comedians (who I find most of hilarious) can say or call white people anything but white comedians must walk on egg shells

Old
08-04-2013, 07:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm not a PC guy at all, but you have to understand that a white guy calling a black guy a ****** is not ok under any circumstances. This isn't just because Riley Cooper said the word ******. He was yelling at a black guy saying he was going to fight every ****** at the concert. And calling a white person a cracker is not the same thing as calling a black person a ****** just because black people say ***** in rap songs. Think of it this way (now this is not exactly the same thing but it is similar so don't respond by saying the two are nothing alike blah blah blah), you have a little brother or sister. You make fun of them and beat them up all the time. If someone you didn't know made fun of them or beat them up you probably wouldn't say, oh well I do it so it is ok because you aren't doing it to be mean or out of hate, you are doing it because it is your little brother. You would be pissed. Now, black people say the word ***** a lot. They aren't saying it to be mean or out of hate, which is why they don't like it when white people say it.

I don't think he should be suspended or anything like that, but it is definitely something that the players on the team are going to deal with.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Mynameismark*

I find it hilarious that anyone should have to accept an apology from a guy like Michael Vick. This despicable dog killer is on the team and Cooper makes a mistake with words but Cooper is on the outs? I still hope some day a dog lover on some other team gets real squared up with Vick.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:41 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Now, black people say the word ***** a lot. They aren't saying it to be mean or out of hate, which is why they don't like it when white people say it.
I've heard this said a lot and I call bull on that. Now I do realize at times the n-word gets used in the same type of way someone might say 'dude' or a word starting b that rhymes with witch... but that's definitely not the only way the n-word is used in among black people. The N-word is also used as a "put-down" by one black person towards another black person. The meaning in the put-down being someone who ignorant/acts without class/etc...

I think Cooper deserves a suspension and honestly I wouldn't have any problem if he had been released when it happened. Doing it now looks weak IMO, but Cooper should know what he can and can not say... However, I also have no idea what context Cooper has heard in locker rooms from fellow teammates who are black when they used the n-word among themselves.

Old
08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
I think Cooper deserves a suspension and honestly I wouldn't have any problem if he had been released when it happened. Doing it now looks weak IMO, but Cooper should know what he can and can not say... However, I also have no idea what context Cooper has heard in locker rooms from fellow teammates who are black when they used the n-word among themselves.
I don't care if he got cut because he's an average player at best but it would have been very hypocritical of the NFL to do so when they're still employing tons of players who actually committed crimes.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I've heard this said a lot and I call bull on that. Now I do realize at times the n-word gets used in the same type of way someone might say 'dude' or a word starting b that rhymes with witch... but that's definitely not the only way the n-word is used in among black people. The N-word is also used as a "put-down" by one black person towards another black person. The meaning in the put-down being someone who ignorant/acts without class/etc...
That doesn't make it acceptable for them (or anyone to say it). I am far from the most PC person out there. I typically think people overreact to everything (and in some respects I agree that people are overreacting to this). But to act like it is acceptable to the word ****** because black people use it or whatever you want to call it, is ridiculous.

If your brother was retarded I bet you wouldn't like it if someone called him a retard, even if you have used the word or even if he uses the word. If your wife was Mexican you probably wouldn't want someone calling her a wetback even if you have used the word or she has. And so forth and so on.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
The Couturier Effect

For anyone who has seen Coach Carter, the scene where he yells at the team for using that word is how I think everyone should feel about the word.

If you don't know what I'm talking about just look up "Coach Carter n word" on YouTube.

EDIT: Also, this is interesting.

@JeffSkversky
Quote:
Eagles release statement saying Riley Cooper may have been a victim of extortion before the video of his racial slur was released
Not sure how true it is. Could be a way of trying to get the media to ease up or gain some sympathy.

Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 08-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old
08-04-2013, 02:28 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just tired of this story. It was a mistake but there's people talking how this could ' derail the season' and I gotta say they'd have to be the mentally weakest team ever if that happened. In a league full of thugs this is pretty low on the totem pole IMO.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
peacepipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I'm just tired of this story. It was a mistake but there's people talking how this could ' derail the season' and I gotta say they'd have to be the mentally weakest team ever if that happened. In a league full of thugs this is pretty low on the totem pole IMO.
I agree...all races of people were slaves at one point in history and a white person using the word while most of the black culture uses it is ridiculous. No white people today in America are slave owners and no black people are slaves so how can black people relate to slavery when they weren't even around? Just because of their skin color that's dumb to me

Old
08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Johnny Football being investigated by the NCAA for profiting from autographs. Bummer.

Quote:
Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin 13m

Texas A & M QB Johnny Manziel being investigated by NCAA for profitting from autograph signings according to #espn

Old
08-04-2013, 05:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Johnny Football being investigated by the NCAA for profiting from autographs. Bummer.
The line on the A&M/Bama game for this upcoming year randomly jumped 3 points in Bama's favor within the last week. I guess Vegas knew before the press on this one.

Manziel comes from a wealthy family so this doesn't really make much sense from his stand point unless he's really stupid or wants to really really get out of College Station.

I will find it funny if the NCAA nabs Manziel for this considering all the stuff they have let go unscathed in the last couple of years especially in the SEC.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 08-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old
08-04-2013, 09:20 PM
GiggityGiggityGoo

Quote:
Ahh the media. Build em up and tear em down.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:15 AM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGoo View Post
Ahh the media. Build em up and tear em down.
The thing I don't get about Manziel is i've read that friends and family of him speculate that he'll improve once he's out of his "fish bowl" in Texas A&M... Like somehow he'll be less scrutinized and pressured as an NFL QB.

Oh really? I hope that he ends up with the Jets next year because that would be worth the lolz.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
The thing I don't get about Manziel is i've read that friends and family of him speculate that he'll improve once he's out of his "fish bowl" in Texas A&M... Like somehow he'll be less scrutinized and pressured as an NFL QB.

Oh really? I hope that he ends up with the Jets next year because that would be worth the lolz.
I think the idea is that when he is in the NFL the things he is doing aren't an issue. You can go out and drink and party when you are in the NFL. You can sign autographs for money at the NFL level. If he gets in trouble with the law at some point, that is a different story, but right now unless there is something I am forgetting, he hasn't done anything that would get him in this type of hot water as an NFL QB. Hell, Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of **** twice and he's doing all right.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Hey there. I am follow the NFL enough to keep up with my fantasy teams, but not too terribly in depth. Which is where my question comes in. I am a Winnipeg Blue Bomber (Canadian Football League) fan. Which is why my question involves former WPG star Phillip Hunt. My buddy is a HUGE Eagles fan. He tells me Eagles generally carry a large number of DL/OLB options that rotate quite frequently. Phillip Hunt is now entering his 3rd season with the team, and at 27 years old I think Hunt might be running out of chances. He was either inactive or rarely used early last season. Two years ago I remember he had a great training camp and was hot out of the gate, but other than some use late last season that seems to be the end of it.

What are his chances of making the team and being a valuable player for the Eagles this year? Thanks for any info.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:21 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Hey there. I am follow the NFL enough to keep up with my fantasy teams, but not too terribly in depth. Which is where my question comes in. I am a Winnipeg Blue Bomber (Canadian Football League) fan. Which is why my question involves former WPG star Phillip Hunt. My buddy is a HUGE Eagles fan. He tells me Eagles generally carry a large number of DL/OLB options that rotate quite frequently. Phillip Hunt is now entering his 3rd season with the team, and at 27 years old I think Hunt might be running out of chances. He was either inactive or rarely used early last season. Two years ago I remember he had a great training camp and was hot out of the gate, but other than some use late last season that seems to be the end of it.

What are his chances of making the team and being a valuable player for the Eagles this year? Thanks for any info.
He was a monster last preseason/training camp and was in line for a big season but never quite made his impact along with a lot of guys.

He's definitely on the roster bubble this year. I haven't heard anything from him this training camp (although info is sparse this year). It's also obvious Chip values bigger players which works against Hunt. If he's going to make the team, he's got to be a special teams ace.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:39 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I'm not a PC guy at all, but you have to understand that a white guy calling a black guy a ****** is not ok under any circumstances. This isn't just because Riley Cooper said the word ******. He was yelling at a black guy saying he was going to fight every ****** at the concert. And calling a white person a cracker is not the same thing as calling a black person a ****** just because black people say ***** in rap songs. Think of it this way (now this is not exactly the same thing but it is similar so don't respond by saying the two are nothing alike blah blah blah), you have a little brother or sister. You make fun of them and beat them up all the time. If someone you didn't know made fun of them or beat them up you probably wouldn't say, oh well I do it so it is ok because you aren't doing it to be mean or out of hate, you are doing it because it is your little brother. You would be pissed. Now, black people say the word ***** a lot. They aren't saying it to be mean or out of hate, which is why they don't like it when white people say it.

I don't think he should be suspended or anything like that, but it is definitely something that the players on the team are going to deal with.
I agree with you on pretty much the whole thing. While I don't think ANYONE should say the word, people that say it's the same when a white guy says it vs. a black guy are delusional. I get that likely no one currently alive was a slave, but that doesn't mean that they haven't felt the effects of slavery or the hatred that occurred during the Civil Rights movement. To think that the hatred that word summarizes only goes back to the 1800s and slavery is just straight up wrong. I'm not trying to get on my high horse here because I definitely have said some stuff during my life that I've regretted and should not have said, but let's not kid ourselves.

With that, let's move on!

08-05-2013, 08:41 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Why is this even news? Why is he missing practice time because of it?

This pc stuff is out of control, people need to put on their big girl pants and get over it. Especially the media. The first amendment gives us the right to free speech, it doesn't give us the freedom from being offended by what others say.
You have the right to say whatever you want, just as everyone that hears what you say has the right to react however the hell they want to it. They have their freedom of speech too, you know. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of retaliation by your peers for said speech.

Old
08-05-2013, 09:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You have the right to say whatever you want, just as everyone that hears what you say has the right to react however the hell they want to it. They have their freedom of speech too, you know. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of retaliation by your peers for said speech.
Not to mention "freedom of speech" isn't a free ticket to say whatever, whenever you want, to whomever you want. Not saying this would rise to this level, but there are laws relating to making threats, harassment, libel, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
It's just like all black comedians (who I find most of hilarious) can say or call white people anything but white comedians must walk on egg shells
It boils down to intent.

Old
08-06-2013, 05:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

So pretty much you will get penalized for celebrating any type of play next year.

Committing crimes ok, celebrating bad, good to see the NFL has their priorities straight.

Old
08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
The Couturier Effect

@Eagles
WR Arrelious Benn suffered a torn ACL in today's practice

3rd torn ACL on the team.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:46 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
@Eagles

I wonder if there will be a higher-than-average injury attrition rate from the speed of the practices.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:31 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
@Eagles

That's insane. Was it another non contact?

Old
08-06-2013, 07:36 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
That's insane. Was it another non contact?
No idea.

Closed Thread