HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers "Flight Plan": New Behind the Scenes Series

Old
08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
The sometimes over-played remarks about how the Flyers value size and aggressiveness rang very true.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The consensus with Monahan he'll be playing in the NHL next year with Couturier & Laughton in the fold the need wasn't that great. My guess if he fell to #11 the Flyers might've tried to move out & pickup some assets.
I don't think trading down would have been an option for them. They all sounded extremely high on both Morin and Mueller. Don't think they would have passed up the chance to draft either of them.

Who do they have under Ristolainen, though? It looks like Gauthier to me (at 13). Then followed by Horvat and then Lazar. I'm not positive about Lazar, though.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 06:37 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I'm glad they didn't trade back. They ended up with Morin and Hagg. I'm still grumpy they didn't end up with Rychel (guy is Flyers DNA).

Old
08-06-2013, 06:40 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I'm glad they didn't trade back. They ended up with Morin and Hagg. I'm still grumpy they didn't end up with Rychel (guy is Flyers DNA).
They had Rychel at #21:

Hagg was at #25.

McCaron at 23, and it looks like Hartman at 24.

I'm insulted by whoever made this. Did they not think die hard fans would not analyze it to death figuring out what order they are in?

EDIT: Could that be Nichushkin at #20? Looks like it to me. And Domi at 19.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I don't think trading down would have been an option for them. They all sounded extremely high on both Morin and Mueller. Don't think they would have passed up the chance to draft either of them.

Who do they have under Ristolainen, though? It looks like Gauthier to me (at 13). Then followed by Horvat and then Lazar. I'm not positive about Lazar, though.
I don't think Monahan would have slipped anyway & maybe that was their thought as well but if he did teams would have been knocking down there door to get that pick. It might have been too good to pass up trading back.

I could see it being Gauthier or Horvat. They fit the mold of Flyers centers, big & two-way centers.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
They had Rychel at #21:

Hagg was at #25.

McCaron at 23, and it looks like Hartman at 24.

I'm insulted by whoever made this. Did they not think die hard fans would not analyze it to death figuring out what order they are in?

EDIT: Could that be Nichushkin at #20? Looks like it to me. And Domi at 19.
De La Rose at #22. It could be Wennberg at #20 as well I can't really tell.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Stizzle

"I think Morin has more meanness. He will whack you with his ****ing stick and give you that stuff".
-Dennis Patterson

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Brindy87

Between Hextall, Pronger, Homer, and Pryor, we're gonna have a war room that can kick anybody else's ass!

Brindy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Hagg was at #25.
I know. I just was hoping the stars would align (at the time).

Old
08-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
"I think Morin has more meanness. He will whack you with his ****ing stick and give you that stuff".
-Dennis Patterson

God i hate our scouts

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
God i hate our scouts
They also said he has the highest upside out of Nurse, Mueller, Ristolanien, & Morrissey. They also noted his hockey IQ.

It's not like they just picked the kid because of his physical attributes.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Mjoedgaard
Rookie User

Quote:
God i hate our scouts
Yea because our first round drafting have been soooooooooooo terrible in the first round the last decade+

Mjoedgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:20 PM
hockeyfreak7

Here's a list of everything we know with up to 95% certainty, I'd say:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Lindholm
5. Barkov
6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey
13. Gauthier
14. Horvat
15. Lazar
19. Domi
20. Nichushkin
21. Rychel
22. De La Rose
23. McCaron
24. Hartman
25. Hagg

Mantha may be #16.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Flyerfan4life

i love how Homer comes in and ***** on everyones opinions, hahah...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:53 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

who is mueller?

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:59 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
who is mueller?
Mirco Mueller, 18th overall to the Sharks.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mirco-mueller/

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
healthyscratch

Imagine if Nurse and/or Risto fell to 11... and they took Morin over one OR BOTH?!??!? This place would have melted down!!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Curufinwe

Yup, I would have flipped out. 5 years from now hopefully Morin will have proved guys like me wrong.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 08:45 PM
flyersfromquebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Imagine if Nurse and/or Risto fell to 11... and they took Morin over one OR BOTH?!??!? This place would have melted down!!
In the end they are scout and we are fans lol. I trust our scout, just last year they suprise everyone with Laughton and now he would have been drafted top 10.

They talk about Morin like its the next Pronger, don't know if they are right but wow at number 6 in a draft so deep in D...I expect to be amazed once again lol...

flyersfromquebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 09:03 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
They had the dmen in this order:
Morin
Mueller
Zadorov
Nurse
Risto
Morrisey

They had Morin 6th overall...ahead of ****ing Monahan.
Not that far fetched. As Patterson (and I ) said before the draft, Morin has the highest upside in the draft. He may reach it, he may not, but it's too much to ignore. Monahan is a "what you see is what you get" player. Solid, unspectacular, two-way pivot who's closer to #2 center than #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
It seems that they didn't not like Ristolainen as much as Mueller, which is sort of bizarre to me.
It's not that bizarre the more you think about it. The Ristolainen hype on this board got a little over the top. I don't know whether it's the unknown factor of him being a European or proximity to the NHL or what.

In a draft with a lot of big, mobile defenseman, Mueller might have more upside than every defenseman sans maybe Jones, Morin, and Nurse. He's far less physical and aggressive than Morin, which is probably why swung Morin ahead of him on the final board. He does however have more present offensive ability which is probably what made it close in the first place. The big knock on Nurse before the draft was his presumed IQ and Flyers' scouts seemed to concur with that and obviously value that pretty highly. Mueller is noted for being a very smart player.

From my limited viewings of Mueller, he's got all the physical tools you look for in a defender. Long, rangy, great skater, good hands, and instincts. Shot could use a little work, but once he fills out that should improve. He obviously needs to add bulk and as a result will take some time to develop. The only question I had with Mueller was his assertiveness/aggressiveness. Maybe it was because he was adjusting to the NA game, but he just seemed to play a laid back kind of game. That said he's a really good looking two-way defenseman. He could be one of those guys you look back on and wonder why he didn't get picked sooner.

On a side note, not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I agreed with much of the Flyers' rankings and assessments of players.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 09:18 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Not that far fetched. As Patterson (and I ) said before the draft, Morin has the highest upside in the draft. He may reach it, he may not, but it's too much to ignore. Monahan is a "what you see is what you get" player. Solid, unspectacular, two-way pivot who's closer to #2 center than #1.

It's not that bizarre the more you think about it. The Ristolainen hype on this board got a little over the top. I don't know whether it's the unknown factor of him being a European or proximity to the NHL or what.

In a draft with a lot of big, mobile defenseman, Mueller might have more upside than every defenseman sans maybe Jones, Morin, and Nurse. He's far less physical and aggressive than Morin, which is probably why swung Morin ahead of him on the final board. He does however have more present offensive ability which is probably what made it close in the first place. The big knock on Nurse before the draft was his presumed IQ and Flyers' scouts seemed to concur with that and obviously value that pretty highly. Mueller is noted for being a very smart player.

From my limited viewings of Mueller, he's got all the physical tools you look for in a defender. Long, rangy, great skater, good hands, and instincts. Shot could use a little work, but once he fills out that should improve. He obviously needs to add bulk and as a result will take some time to develop. The only question I had with Mueller was his assertiveness/aggressiveness. Maybe it was because he was adjusting to the NA game, but he just seemed to play a laid back kind of game. That said he's a really good looking two-way defenseman. He could be one of those guys you look back on and wonder why he didn't get picked sooner.

On a side note, not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I agreed with much of the Flyers' rankings and assessments of players.
I've been intrigued by Mueller. I like him a lot, and I wouldn't have been devastated if that's who the Flyers took.

But it seems that we got a very similar player to Mueller in Hagg in the second round, so it looks like we lucked out by getting a bit of what everyone wanted.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

I loved this episode. I know it all rides on what Homer says when it comes down to it, just find it ironic when people say he doesn't know the game or these players. Yes, there has been mistakes, but he has also shown he knows the game like with the best of them. I a satisfied with the pick in Morin only if we let him develop, this kid has the tools to be special. Maybe he doesn't get there, but the safe bet is he still makes the NHL and is a steady stay at home defender. His upside is just too much too ignore, and will be a treat if he develops like we want him to.

Next episode is bound to be a good one, I want to see the convo's on the floor. Hopefully they give us a little taste.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They also said he has the highest upside out of Nurse, Mueller, Ristolanien, & Morrissey. They also noted his hockey IQ.

It's not like they just picked the kid because of his physical attributes.
What i believed they said was Morin knows what he is and nurse doesnt.

Where they were at 11 id have picked morin too. Im fine with that. really the draft board did not break right for us. But had we drafted him over nurse or Risto id have been livid.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 09:52 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Where they were at 11 id have picked morin too. Im fine with that. really the draft board did not break right for us. But had we drafted him over nurse or Risto id have been livid.
Why? What makes Central Scouting more legit than the Flyers staff?

To be fair, I would have been disappointed if we passed up on Risto or Nurse, also, but I think too often we fans forget that there is a subjective component to scouting as well, and while it may seem like Nurse and Risto are in a tier above the rest, it may not actually be the case down the line.

I mean, if someone asked you to compile a ranking of all NHL players, would your top 15 look anything like mine? Probably a few similarities at the top, but the rest will be subjective. The same applies here but perhaps to an even greater extent. Remember, these are 18 year olds and we're trying to predict the future here. I mean, just imagine if Erik Karlsson had been drafted over Luke Schenn in 2008. Leafs fans would have been furious. It's not worth it to get worked up over the draft. Few of us have any clue what we are talking about.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

They were talking about knowing their limitations as of right now, which falls under their IQ which Nurse was mostly criticized for by other scouts as well leading up to the draft.

You have remember Morin wasn't used in an offensive role last year in Rimouski. That should change this upcoming year as he will likely be a top pairing defensemen for them.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 08-06-2013 at 10:00 PM.