HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Egg on my face...Asche plays. Delmon sits.

Delmon has to bat like 19 more times to get 150K bonus. It would be hilarious if he's benched and never gets there.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
One of those terrible players they traded Pence for come into to town playing just about every day with an OPS of .827, while the Phillies have been trotting out Delmon Young.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:40 PM
jml87

vCash: 500
I thought Kendrick had changed. I was wrong. He's still here. Hate him.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
never been a fan of Kendrick, he should be traded/non tendered in the offseason.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:50 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Why and why? Did Revere show you no potential at his age? His first month was rough, but he came on pretty well recently and was hitting well. Plus all that speed.

And are you telling me that you would go back and undo the Halladay trade?
Gose was in the Oswalt trade because the Phillies insisted on having cash sent back in the deal for Oswalt's salary so they had to give up a blue chip prospect (and then the Astros flipped him for Brett Wallace-whoops).

Put me in the group that would rather have Gose over Revere long term. Yes Revere has been good from May on, but he still sports a wRC+ of 92 on the year and has a career average of 81 (100 is MLB average). It's hard to see him having much improvement from that. And that's because his offensive value is tied solely to his batting average and more directly- how many singles he hits. He doesn't walk nearly enough and he hits for almost ZERO power and his minor league numbers suggest that's not likely to change.

Gose is just as fast if not faster, a better fielder, and has a superior arm (hit 95 off the bump). He has intriguing power (hit 16 HR's in 2011) and his minor league numbers suggest we can expect a walk rate of around 10% which would be above the MLB average. He will never touch Revere in average but he will make up for it and then some in just about every other category. His upside is infinitely greater. Revere is about as good as he's going to get. Even if Gose never hits his ceiling offensively, I imagine he will provide the same value as Revere if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
never been a fan of Kendrick, he should be traded/non tendered in the offseason.
I wouldn't non-tender him as he still has value believe it or not as a bottom of the rotation inning eater. You use this stretch against him in negotiations and get him on a team friendly deal. You hope he puts it together in the first half of 2014 and sell him off at the deadline.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:28 PM
jml87

Impressive night for the kids. Ruf has been really good. The only thing bad has been his K rate but he's been walking a decent amount too. Hope he can continue. And Asche had his first legitimate hit tonight. And it's hard to call Utley old when he has nights like this. He raced out to the warning track at one point to help cover Ruf in RF. I still think you need a guy like him on the team for a rebuild.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:39 PM
healthyscratch

Strange, Zolecki says the Miguel Gonzalez signing might not happen...

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/2013/08/06...happen-at-all/

Zolecki also said this:
Ruf reaches base safely 33 straight games. Last Phillie to do that: Utley in 2008-09. Schmidt holds team record with 56 (8/81 - 5/82).
8:23pm - 6 Aug 13

Old
08-06-2013, 10:49 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Impressive night for the kids. Ruf has been really good. The only thing bad has been his K rate but he's been walking a decent amount too. Hope he can continue. And Asche had his first legitimate hit tonight. And it's hard to call Utley old when he has nights like this. He raced out to the warning track at one point to help cover Ruf in RF. I still think you need a guy like him on the team for a rebuild.
Agreed. He's the perfect professional to have these guys learning from. He's won his ring already, and I think he's a guy who will be content to stay here until he retires.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Strange, Zolecki says the Miguel Gonzalez signing might not happen...

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/2013/08/06...happen-at-all/
Luis Encarnacion is rumored to be signing a deal with the Phils on Friday when he turns 16, rated as the #4 overall international prospect.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Luis Encarnacion is rumored to be signing a deal with the Phils on Friday when he turns 16, rated as the #4 overall international prospect.
He's probably already 21.

Old
08-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He's probably already 21.
I think he's Dominican, they aren't as crappy on the age as Cubans are.

Old
08-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Hiesenberg

Amazing, Brown returns and the team scores 9 runs. Granted he almost lost the game, but he didn't allow the 7 runs before that.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Phileeguy
Mira, que linda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I think he's Dominican, they aren't as crappy on the age as Cubans are.
Danny Almonte says hi.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Danny Almonte says hi.
Who?

Old
08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Hiesenberg

And then Charlie benches Asche, puts Ruf @ 1st (can't learn OF) and Delmon Young back in, because we all need to see Delmon Young back in the lineup.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:46 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Who?
The kid on that NY Little League team that was like 16 and on steroids.

Old
08-07-2013, 04:48 PM
jml87

Quote:
And then Charlie benches Asche, puts Ruf @ 1st (can't learn OF) and Delmon Young back in, because we all need to see Delmon Young back in the lineup.
Right after Asche had a great game too. I don't get this team.

"I just want to go slow with him for a while, let him get a good feel for what he's doing," Manuel said. "I've seen times when you turn guys loose and they don’t respond good. I think it’s better to kind of take it easy with him, let him see if he can't have some success before you turn him loose. That’s what my experience has told me. Iv'e seen some players be turned loose in the big leagues and they have trouble right from the start and it really sets them back."

That worked so well with Brown, didn't it? Young guys should not be on the bench. They need at bats. Stop lying, we all know he's out of the lineup cause Amaro refuses to admit his mistake and cut delmon young.

Old
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Right after Asche had a great game too. I don't get this team.

"I just want to go slow with him for a while, let him get a good feel for what he's doing," Manuel said. "I've seen times when you turn guys loose and they don’t respond good. I think it’s better to kind of take it easy with him, let him see if he can't have some success before you turn him loose. That’s what my experience has told me. Iv'e seen some players be turned loose in the big leagues and they have trouble right from the start and it really sets them back."

That worked so well with Brown, didn't it? Young guys should not be on the bench. They need at bats. Stop lying, we all know he's out of the lineup cause Amaro refuses to admit his mistake and cut delmon young.
I'm not a Charlie hater, but that's dumb.

He could have just said it's a matchup thing.

Old
08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Danny Almonte says hi.
Well he was still American & had proper documents stating his actual age of 14 at the time. His coaches just forged it so he could play in that tournament.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
jml87

And Utley's not playing tonight either? Good Lord, why don't you just kick Hamels in the balls? He has enough trouble getting run support so let's play the ****** lineup tonight. God, I hate Amaro, but I can't wait til Charlie is gone too.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Not sure if this is the right place for this but my mom was going through my old stuff the other day and dropped off a box at my house. One of the treasures inside is the Philly Inquirer from the day after they won. The front page is Chooch and Lidge. Any idea how to get these two to sign it?

Old
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
jml87

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place for this but my mom was going through my old stuff the other day and dropped off a box at my house. One of the treasures inside is the Philly Inquirer from the day after they won. The front page is Chooch and Lidge. Any idea how to get these two to sign it?
Just looked this up and there was a signing in King of Prussia with the both of them on July 29th. You should've found it a week sooner, lol.

But the best way to get it signed is by looking for autograph signings in the area. Both of them might be tough at this point, especially if Chooch signs somewhere else. If he stays in Philly then the best place to get autographs from the team is the ALS carnival they have every year. I'm not sure about Lidge, but I'm sure he'll be doing signings every now and them.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Just looked this up and there was a signing in King of Prussia with the both of them on July 29th. You should've found it a week sooner, lol.
Unbelievable.

Quote:
But the best way to get it signed is by looking for autograph signings in the area. Both of them might be tough at this point, especially if Chooch signs somewhere else. If he stays in Philly then the best place to get autographs from the team is the ALS carnival they have every year. I'm not sure about Lidge, but I'm sure he'll be doing signings every now and them.
Is there like a mass list of autograph signings or do you suggest just googling "Carlos Ruiz signings" and "Brad Lidge signings" from time to time? Not be sarcastic, I don't really know how the autograph signings circuit works.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
jml87

Quote:
Unbelievable.

Is there like a mass list of autograph signings or do you suggest just googling "Carlos Ruiz signings" and "Brad Lidge signings" from time to time? Not be sarcastic, I don't really know how the autograph signings circuit works.
Yeah, I think that's your best bet. Keep an eye on nearby sports memoribilia stores, too, as they'll announce any autograph signings. You might want to ask them as they might have a good idea where to go. But yeah, I usually look at google. And if Chooch stays with the Phillies then the ALS carnival is the best place to get autographs for cheap.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
jml87

Ken Rosenthal:
To repeat: Utley deal, per sources, is two years in the high $20M range - between $25M and $30M. Story: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...tension-080713

Closed Thread